taking a thermos of coffee off the ship?

BuckeyeMark

(AP) Reykjavik - Today Iceland announced that they are officially ending all attempts to grow citrus. Many had thought the effort was in vain due to Iceland's growing season lasting only 17 hours a year but government officials announced that wasn't the problem. "We had the grow lights. We were ready for the endless darkness and cold." However, officials said, a strange citrus mite has infected both of Iceland's citrus trees, killing them stone dead. "Our citrus industry is gone. Gone. And we think it happened when a cruise passenger brought oranges ashore for a hike." A full investigation will follow, the government said. Until that can be completed Iceland is pleading with all nations, especially Canada, to bar coffee thermoses from entry."

That's OK, they'll never extradite me alive. :)

As a frequent visitor to the US, one thing that amazes me. Does anyone actually buy those hotdog rotating away in a 7-11, I'm sure they are the actual same hotdogs I see every visit .......

I've heard them referred to as "danger dogs"! I have never purchased one, but I'm guessing some people do or 7-11 wouldn't bother carrying them.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Has anyone ever had issues taking drinks ashore in Mediterranean countries? I've never cruised there and was planning to pre-book the bulk pack of bottled water that Princess offers, to use on shore visits but it could be money down the drain (literally) if it turns out I'm not allowed to carry them with me.

When I cruised the Baltic last year on P&O I don't remember any shoreside security screening apart from St Petersburg, only the ship's own security scanner once you board, and that was probably just looking for dangerous weapons etc. I brought on a small bottle of fresh milk that I bought from a supermarket in Helsinki for making tea in the cabin, rather than having to use the horrible UHT stuff they provide.

What about closed bottles of beer, for a nice cold one on deserted beach (no bar)?

I have never seen anyone's bags or backpacks searched on the way off the ship. There is usually way too much traffic for security to bother with it. Plus, the Princess crew members will be preoccupied with trying to get you to take a picture with a Pirate, or Whale, or Lumberjack, etc. So if you head to the beach with towels and a change of clothes in a backpack, and there is a beer wrapped up in one of those towels, I can't for the life of me imagine anyone detecting it. Remember that the ship's security is far more concerned about what people are trying to bring back on the ship than they are about what people are removing off the ship. And if all else fails, pour your beer into one of these and stick it in your camera bag as you head to the beach.

None of this addresses whether it is allowed or not. It just presents the practical reality of the situation.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I don't think I've ever used my own mug but I've taken a cup of coffee from the International Cafe with me many times.

My wife was busted for trying to take a cup of coffee from IC ashore in Hawaii. She had no idea it wasn't allowed but they told her it was definitely against the rules.

My wife was busted for trying to take a cup of coffee from IC ashore in Hawaii. She had no idea it wasn't allowed but they told her it was definitely against the rules.

Happened to me once also. No big deal but it did surprise me.

I guess if you want to take a cup of coffee you have to hide it in your bag with the rest of the stuff. :D

The question is why is it not allowed.

It could be that too many passengers have spilled the coffee in the past and not allowing a cup of coffee to be taken ashore eliminates that problem.

Has anyone ever had issues taking drinks ashore in Mediterranean countries? I've never cruised there and was planning to pre-book the bulk pack of bottled water that Princess offers, to use on shore visits but it could be money down the drain (literally) if it turns out I'm not allowed to carry them with me.

I have never had a problem bringing bottled water (even unsealed) off the ship in any port anywhere including the Med.

I have never seen anyone's bags or backpacks searched on the way off the ship.

I have seen this often.

It is not Princess doing this, but local authorities. They are looking for forbidden foods, not drinks.

The inspection has been done before reaching the person with the scanner for your cruise card.

The question is why is it not allowed.

It could be that too many passengers have spilled the coffee in the past and not allowing a cup of coffee to be taken ashore eliminates that problem.

Sounds logical. They've begun not allowing people to take beverages into the buffet area on some ships.

...They've begun not allowing people to take beverages into the buffet area on some ships.

Do you know if they are still allowing coffee drinks purchased in the IC to be brought into the HC buffet area? That has been the only way to get a decent cup of coffee there on my past couple of Princess cruises.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Do you know if they are still allowing coffee drinks purchased in the IC to be brought into the HC buffet area? That has been the only way to get a decent cup of coffee there on my past couple of Princess cruises.

I have never had a problem taking IC coffee anywhere on the ship, including the buffet.

Not a bad idea. Your beer fits inside a metal bottle with enough room for some ice?

Ice and beer? No thank you.

We carry two metal water bottles filled with ice AND the beer in bottles in a cloth cooler off the ship. The metal water bottles keep the beer cold without making a wet mess. The melted ice can be consumed when the beer runs out. Which it usually does.

image-759286.jpeg

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Sounds logical. They've begun not allowing people to take beverages into the buffet area on some ships.

I don't know where this information came from but I find it highly suspect. I always get fresh brewed coffee from IC and carry it with me wherever I want to go on the ship. Since the buffet area has beverages this makes no sense at all.

No cups of any kind. Even if capped. They're afraid if someone slipping on a spill & getting hurt. I don't know if it included closed bottles or not.

Just leave them on your table to reserve a spot where you'll be eating.

No one will touch another person's coffee.

btw- it was on the Emerald.

No cups of any kind. Even if capped. They're afraid if someone slipping on a spill & getting hurt. I don't know if it included closed bottles or not.

Just leave them on your table to reserve a spot where you'll be eating.

No one will touch another person's coffee.

btw- it was on the Emerald.

I gather you're referring to the area where people collect their food, not the seating area.

I gather you're referring to the area where people collect their food, not the seating area.

Sorry, that's correct. I should have made that clearer. It came as a surprise to me. I usually just place it on the table but for some reason I tried to carry it with me through the buffet line. The girl at the entrance was nice enough & let me leave it at the entrance to pick up on the way out.

Happened to me once also. No big deal but it did surprise me.

I guess if you want to take a cup of coffee you have to hide it in your bag with the rest of the stuff. :D

I have had to jettison my fair share of IC takeaway cups before leaving the ship. Makes me a little sad to waste the punch!