Babies first cruise?!?

DisneyTech

I was just going through my E-Doc and saw this.

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the fi rst

day of the cruise/Cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacifi c,

select South American cruises/Cruisetours and other select cruises/

Cruisetours, the infant (as of the fi rst day of the cruise/Cruisetour)

must be at least 12 months old. For the purposes of this policy, any

cruise that has 3 or more consecutive days at sea will require infants to

be 12 months old on the fi rst day of the cruise/Cruisetour. If you require

additional information, visit our website at http://www.celebritycruises.com if

you are a ected by this policy; please call us at +1.800.437.3111.

• 9 months later...
Hello All,

We are experienced cruisers and have been on Celebrity quite a few times. Our daughter was born in March and we are considering taking her on her first cruise. We are currently thinking about either the Reflection or the Silhouette on Dec. 3rd or 4th.

My question is this. Has anyone done a Celebrity Cruise with a young baby? Is there stuff to do? I know she is too young for the youth centers, but I'm wondering if there are any other activities that she would enjoy.

Any tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Did you go, and how was it?

We just got of the Reflection last month.

We did see one young Canadian couple with a toddler, probably a year old.

Although I don't like to comment about peoples lifestyles or give advice how they run their lives, they should have not taken a baby on a cruise.

The vast majority of cruisers were over 60 years old, we did see a few teens.

People go on cruises to relax, not to hear crying babies, or parents screaming at kids.

I saw this couple drink, smoke around baby, cursing and even, leaving baby unattended while they did these things.

As a parent, I would never, ever have taken an infant on a cruise, too many things occur, example, Norwegian cruise.

Our son turned one on a Disney cruise and we enjoyed ourselves completely. 8 months later, last March we went on royal Caribbean's Allure of the seas and we all enjoyed that. He is 2 now and has been potty trained for 6 months so this time he can get in the pools. We missed some shows on the first cruise but that was the worst thing that happened. I have never cruised on celebrity so I don't know how that will go but we have enjoyed cruising with him. And he loves it too.

Watching my 6 mo old grand....he is quite happy in his own environment...and at daycare 2x weekly

For our family a cruise would be too germy...dirty carpets, too many strangers. sneezers on board, not all the shots yet and no pediatrician on board . Loud at times abd possible bumpy seas...

nothing special for baby and lots of work for caretakers.. I,d. wait another year at least...

Oh my, yes! My memory is a bit hazy because my kids have been adults for a long time. I seem to recall that they didn't want to be held, or strapped into a stroller, at that age. They wanted to crawl and suck on their fingers. If you could see what ended up on the carpets on our recent noro cruise, You wouldn't want a baby crawling on it. The crew did great clean up on the carpet, but still....you have thousands of people walking on that carpet from ports and bathrooms.

I enjoy seeing kids of any age on Celebrity, so I wouldn't be one of the scowlers. I do think think that you will have your hands full with a baby that age on a cruise.

When my girls were young, many years ago, we took 2 vacations . One for the girls to enjoy, Disney parks, water parks, etc. Then my DH and I would leave my girls with a grandparent and have a lovely, alone time vacation just for adults. Love children, but we enjoy a quiet time that all couples need to reconnect.

• 8 months later...

If you are going as a couple with a baby, I suggest that there are better vacations out there that will give you a much better holiday.

If you have grandparents or other adults along then things get seriously easier. We went with our DD and SIL with their beautiful 16-month-old daughter on Silhouette to The Baltics. We all had a great and memorable cruise but that was because we could share responsibility. It also helped that she is a 'good' and happy baby who made instant friends everywhere she went (except in The Hermitage but that's another story).

We had adjoining cabins and as ours was a disabled one, they spent a lot of time in ours, because the crib took up a lot of space in theirs. We baby-sat in the evenings quite a lot, which was pretty boring, but it meant that they could take advantage of the dining options and events. During the day we usually split up as we were restricted by DD's wheelchair. They used a back-pack carrier for flexibility while out and on board, she was just discovering that legs are useful for more than just a connection to toes. Most evenings she had a splash about in her inflatable pool in our shower. She did get a little put out when I made the mistake of taking her to watch her parents swimming though.

Without the baby, we would have done a lot more, especially in the evenings, but we expected that and took advantage of whatever we could. Having her along was a treasured memory and a wonderful experience for all of us.

In short; if you want to take the baby, take some baby-sitters too.

Hello All,

We are experienced cruisers and have been on Celebrity quite a few times. Our daughter was born in March and we are considering taking her on her first cruise. We are currently thinking about either the Reflection or the Silhouette on Dec. 3rd or 4th.

My question is this. Has anyone done a Celebrity Cruise with a young baby? Is there stuff to do? I know she is too young for the youth centers, but I'm wondering if there are any other activities that she would enjoy.

In respect to other cruisers, perhaps a relative could baby sit and you and significant other enjoy the cruise. Why do this to yourself.

I wouldn’t even take my family to Disney World until the youngest one of our children was 3 years old and toilet trained. Didn’t want to spend big bucks on a vacation that I wouldn’t enjoy. Unless you have help from relatives, etc., it’s easier to stay home. However, if I were cruising with young children. I would sail on RCCL and not Celebrity.

I'm not anti baby but I took an 8 month old on a (Disney) cruise and regretted it immensely.

Was an experienced cruiser but a new mom.

We could only schedule small amounts of time in the nursery and she cried a lot when we dropped her off even though she went to daycare 5 x a week at home.

We were bored to tears. Everywhere on the ship felt like it was either for adults or older kids. We didn't "belong" anywhere.

We got what I can only assume was Noro and then it was even worse.

I would have given anything to have just gone home.

We didn't cruise with her again until she was 5.. but then with a 20 month old brother... !

Stay home. If you aren't nursing leave baby with grandma if you can for a few days. Or go to a resort that has dedicated babysitting (Paradisus Playa Esmeralda in Cancun, or something like that, and also one in Jamaica called Rosalind something or other???)

Or, if you can afford it, take a nanny. We did this last year with our (then) 6 and 2.999 year olds and it worked out GREAT.

PLEASe, people, this is a zombie thread. The OP is long gone. Posted this and never came back. All your advice is now moot

So? I don't understand this phobia about reading old threads. The advice is still relevant, just not for the OP. Others, that know how to use the search function, might find some value in it. I enjoyed reading it.

Hi. FWIW, I cruised with a 4 month old (many years ago - he is 17 now). We sailed on the Millennium, in one of the family cabins (starboard aft corner). We set up the crib they provided in the hallway and taped cardboard over the lights that couldn't be turned off. At that time (17 years ago), we were able to hire babysitters from the front desk staff for $8 per hour. We also had two sets of grandparents on the cruise, so there was some "vacation" time for us parents. (We paid for the grandparents to join us, so they couldn't complain about some babysitting time).

Even with all of that, it was difficult and not really a vacation for us. Lots of work, little down time and no chance to just let loose and get drunk. I'd recommend not doing it.

Babies - fine, if you can cope.

Zombies - meh.

The baby is now in college. Trying to understand why you pulled up an old thread to give advice years later? It's happening alot lately. Wondering if dates aren't showing up for some and Cruisecritic needs to fix something?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by Paulras

There may be people on board who are less than welcoming but there will be more others, me included, who will smile at your little one and play peek a boo at the dining table! The staff are usually great with babies

1 1/2 to 2 hours of peek a boo at a main dining room table would stress me, thank you...

Hello All,

Both of our babies were exactly 6- months old when we cruised with them. We had a great time with them; start their travels early and they will be excellent travelers as they mature. We started our babies out on RCCL, but I know that Celebrity will do an amazing job taking care of you and your family!

Ignore those "anti-children" posts. Enjoy yourselves but pack smartly. I have lots of tips. Feel free to message me with any questions!!

Lady_G

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

I love it, all the baby haters.

Sent fro's my iPad using Forums

I have at least scanned every post and saw no sign of hate until I came across yours. People who love children and want the best for all of them are rightfully voicing their concern for an infant's welfare. I'd call that love

I have at least scanned every post and saw no sign of hate until I came across yours. People who love children and want the best for all of them are rightfully voicing their concern for an infant's welfare. I'd call that love
Why are you responding to a post from 2 years ago??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app