Updates from the Emerald Princess – On her way to Australia!- September/November 2016

Just heard from our friends on emerald and all is going well, good food, entertainment good, nothing broken so far. They cruise at least four months of the year each year so know when a ship is off key. Naples today , just coming into port as I type. Our NZ leg booked out now and the Fiji leg filling slowly, just waiting for our B2 guarantee cabin number on NZ leg.

Just heard from our friends on emerald and all is going well, good food, entertainment good, nothing broken so far. They cruise at least four months of the year each year so know when a ship is off key. Naples today , just coming into port as I type. Our NZ leg booked out now and the Fiji leg filling slowly, just waiting for our B2 guarantee cabin number on NZ leg.

Good to hear about the ship from your friends. :D

Shame about your legs though, I hope they match soon.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks for posting Stu, we are also on in November so look forward to your thoughts.

Re the aircon, I have read that the Emerald has had problems for a while.....I like a much cooler room than my husband.

Gawd......I remember being on the Fairstar and Fair Princess when the aircon broke down, everyone just took their pillows and blankets to a deck chair and made a party of it, so nice sleeping under the stars:p

Hot stuff :p

Hello from the Emerald Princess

After we left Southampton, we had 4 nice days at sea. We then we arrived in Civitavecchia, (For Rome), Italy.

The day before we docked in Civitavecchia, we overtook AIDA blu (I thought she was also going to Civitavecchia, but it turns out we did not see her in Civitavecchia, so I don’t know where she was going) and that night we also overtook Costa Magica :).

As we went to Rome last year on the Emerald Princess (and where in Civitavecchia on the Queen Victoria, last week), me and mum decided to have a walk around Civitavecchia, it was a nice town to have a wonder around and explore. :)

There was 4 other cruise ships in Town as well (not counting us!) Saga Sapphire, P&O UK Oceana,Costa Magica and Norwegian Spirit.

Apparently the traffic in Rome was quite busy, which made the ships tours late back, so we were quite glad to just have a look around Civitavecchia.

Sail way from Civitavecchia was quite interesting as we were the last ship to leave, first was P&O UK Oceana (we gave them a toot, but they did not reply! :(), Costa Magica, Norwegian Spirit, and Saga Sapphire. (None of the other ships tooted us back :( )

After we left Civitavecchia, we went to Naples, Italy, as we have also been there last year, me and mum just had a walk around the town (We did the hop on, hop off Bus last year) and had a really nice Pizza in the town :).

There was 3 other cruise ships in town as well (not counting us!) Norwegian Epic (The caption of the Emerald Princess even commented on how ugly she looked at the front!) , Norwegian Spirit and a Pullmantur ship, I think it was called “Sorerelgn”.

We were the 3rd ship to leave Naples, Italy, first was the Pullmantur ship “Sorerelgn”, then Norwegian Epic, then us. Norwegian Spirit was behand us.

After we left Naples, Italy, we went to Messina (Sicily), Italy.

Messina is a nice town, the weather in the morning was not great, and it was overcast and looked like it could rain. We did the hop on / hop of bus tour of the area.

Just as we got on the hop on / hop of bus it started to rain, but the rain only lasted about 30 mins or so, then it started to clear up and the sun was out for midday, and stayed dry for the rest of the day.

If you ever get a chance to go to Messina, make shore you are outside the Cathedral of Messina at midday!, their clock tower goes mad :)

We were the only cruise ship in town that day. All board this day was 4:30pm.

We are now heading for the Suez Canal, and by the time I post this, we most likely be at the anchorage waiting to enter the Suez Canal, apparently we will start our transit at about 3-4am local time.

Thanks, Stu, looking forward to reading more about your cruise.

I'm another one who would not sleep very well in a 22C cabin. I seem to need the temperature much lower than that - 16-17C.

On Sun Princess, which has the new bedding, there was a top sheet, the duvet, and another sheet over that, so easy to toss off the duvet if necessary. However the air-con worked very well in our inside cabin so I had no problems sleeping.

We're booked on a 21 night Royal Princess cruise next year for out 20th anniversary. We stop at Messina so I am looking forward to seeing the clock tower go mad. :D

Can anyone hazard a guess how Stu, is doing the posting, is it shipboard internet, or shore.:)

Oh thanks for the updates, Stu.

Maybe a combination of both.

Probably writing it in a word processor, then cutting and pasting to CC hitting post and logging out, he probably has a pretty good whack of internet time on the ship.

I know last year if I used wifi in port I had nearly half an hour a day on sea days, but chose to just write my report as I went and then post it when I got home, mainly because I wanted to tidy it up and rather than do a day by day, do an issue by issue, dining, ports, complaints, drinks etc.

I also don't post photos because, I they use up too much data, 2 with the way CC want you to anything but thumbnails you need to use a hosting site and most (all maybe) reserve the right to do as they please with my work.

Can anyone hazard a guess how Stu, is doing the posting, is it shipboard internet, or shore.

Stu is Elite on Princess so he will have some free minutes, but as said above he is probably using a device he can add to off line then just goes on line and posts.

So in Theory, one could send an e-mail to a friend to post on c/c.

If it was easier, quicker and cheaper.

In theory yes.

But it would use the same time or data (some charge per minute some per data) as to just post it yourself.

I'm also an expert at stalking crew who know where the free wi fi is in port.