Celebrity excursion - St. Martin Island Tour

skoeper

I've done the St Maartin tour. Very comfortable buses (large). The problem is that you don't have a lot of time on the French side. There is one public bathroom there, and my DW spent about 1/2 hour on line to get in. By the time she finished, we had about 15 minutes left.

We took a boat tour with "Capt Bob". It was nice to see everything from the water and do some snorkeling. We ate at a local restaurant on the beach away from all the crowds. The waves were quite sporty, so if you have an aversion to ocean spray and bouncing you may want to stick with the bus. However, the sea breezes do keep the mosquitos away!!!

I would do large buses as a very last resort.

Get on your Roll Call (see above link) and get with people on your cruise to arrange private tours. You'll see more and likely spend less and you won't have those long bathroom lines with the people who take forever and waste your time.

Go to Trip Advisor and find out the best tours and book one.

Get to the taxi stand once in port (follow the signs) and get one to give you a tour. No pre-planning needed - there are lots of them just looking to give someone a tour. That's how we did our tour the first time we went and it was a wonderful personal tour - just for the 4 of us. He stopped for us to get a great little lunch at one of his own personal hole-in-the-walls and it was wonderful.

Thank you for all who replied. Since we have a group of 8 people, I think leaving it to chance that a taxi/van big enough for all of us will be waiting at the dock might be kind of risky.

Some of our group do not like small, bouncy boats, so I haven't even considered a boat tour. I think land is best for this particular group. Unless.....there's a water taxi that will take us from the port to another city? They usually stick close to shore and are not very rough. Anyone know if there is anything like that?

Thanks!

I avoid big bus tours if at all possible as well.

OP: have you considered a private shore excursion? Bernard's Tours, for example, is very highly rated. We used them last winter; it was our first visit to St. Maarten, and we enjoyed the day very much.

If you haven't done so, I would strongly suggest doing some reading over on the Caribbean/St. Maarten board about alternatives to a ship-sponsored tour.

Enjoy your trip!

I avoid big bus tours if at all possible as well.

OP: have you considered a private shore excursion? Bernard's Tours, for example, is very highly rated. We used them last winter; it was our first visit to St. Maarten, and we enjoyed the day very much.

If you haven't done so, I would strongly suggest doing some reading over on the Caribbean/St. Maarten board about alternatives to a ship-sponsored tour.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks, Turtles06 :) We have done many excursions of all types, just DH and myself. But our 6 friends who are traveling with us feel better about the ship's excursions because they guarantee the ship will wait for you. So....since they've never gone on an excursion, period, we will stick with the ship's for this cruise. We so want them to continue to cruise!!!

Maybe next cruise they will branch out and consider Bernard's or another company. If we didn't do a ship offered excursion, they would just walk about the port near the pier. But I would like to do more than that! So I'm willing to suffer a bus ride for them - that's how much I like these people, lol.

Thank you for all who replied. Since we have a group of 8 people, I think leaving it to chance that a taxi/van big enough for all of us will be waiting at the dock might be kind of risky.

Some of our group do not like small, bouncy boats, so I haven't even considered a boat tour. I think land is best for this particular group. Unless.....there's a water taxi that will take us from the port to another city? They usually stick close to shore and are not very rough. Anyone know if there is anything like that?

Thanks!

If you go to the taxi stand they will have or find a van large enough for 8 people. Been there, done that with a group!

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks, Turtles06 :) We have done many excursions of all types, just DH and myself. But our 6 friends who are traveling with us feel better about the ship's excursions because they guarantee the ship will wait for you. So....since they've never gone on an excursion, period, we will stick with the ship's for this cruise. We so want them to continue to cruise!!!

Maybe next cruise they will branch out and consider Bernard's or another company. If we didn't do a ship offered excursion, they would just walk about the port near the pier. But I would like to do more than that! So I'm willing to suffer a bus ride for them - that's how much I like these people, lol.

Understood. I hope they realize what a great friend you are! :)

We actually do a mix of DIY, private excursions, and ship's tours. All depends on the port of course.

Have a great cruise!

In St Maartin, they use buses comparable to a charter bus here.

On one of my first cruises I took the cruise line island tour on one of those buses. Thirty or forty seats. It was terrible. After that I have only done cruise line excursions on rare occasions. I will only take a cruise line bus if it drops off and picks up with the time at the destination being on my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all who replied. Since we have a group of 8 people, I think leaving it to chance that a taxi/van big enough for all of us will be waiting at the dock might be kind of risky.....

The taxi company has 8 passenger vans and 14 passengers vans.

The cost of their 3 hour circle island tour is $25 per person for 8 people.

You can reserve a van in advance, if you wish.

See their website:

Dutch St. Maarten Taxi Association | Taxi Service and Tours

The link to Circle Tour

gives a full description of their circle island tour, plus the route map.

If you want to spend more or less time at any of the stops, your driver will adjust the schedule to accommodate you.

I don't know if "Virgin Mary" is still driving for them, but we did the circle island tour with her a few years ago and she was a hoot. Very knowledgeable + entertaining.

We did the tour and it was okay and a nice overview of the island if you've never been there, but as was said by others, it's an overview that doesn't give you much time on the French side. I thought there would be time to shop and visit the cafes there, but there was barely enough time to visit the local flea market. We were sorry we didn't just extend our day at the beach that we left to take the tour. Our favorite thing to do in St. Maartin is take the water taxi over to the beach ($7 per person for all day) and rent chairs and umbrellas. There's shops, bars restaurants and restrooms nearby and it's a fun day.

We did the tour and it was okay and a nice overview of the island if you've never been there, but as was said by others, it's an overview that doesn't give you much time on the French side. I thought there would be time to shop and visit the cafes there, but there was barely enough time to visit the local flea market. We were sorry we didn't just extend our day at the beach that we left to take the tour. Our favorite thing to do in St. Maartin is take the water taxi over to the beach ($7 per person for all day) and rent chairs and umbrellas. There's shops, bars restaurants and restrooms nearby and it's a fun day.

That beach Great Bay, is known to be polluted. I would never use that beach. Next time you take the water taxi look by Bobby' s Marina. Raw Sewage is dumped into Great Bay there.

Some of our group do not like small, bouncy boats, so I haven't even considered a boat tour. I think land is best for this particular group. Unless.....there's a water taxi that will take us from the port to another city? They usually stick close to shore and are not very rough. Anyone know if there is anything likee that?

Thanks!

If bouncy boats don't work, there are also some nice catamaran tours with snorkeling. We went on the Mirabelle and had a blast. You may not see as much of the island as you will on the motorboats, but lots of fun.

That beach Great Bay, is known to be polluted. I would never use that beach. Next time you take the water taxi look by Bobby' s Marina. Raw Sewage is dumped into Great Bay there.

Interesting, never knew that, although we generally just sit on the beach in the shade and read! I think I'll check it out though. Mostly, DH and I have been to all of the islands so many times that we just relax, been on most of the island tours and tired of snorkeling. The drinking tours are well...been there done that! We're just happy relaxing on the beaches having a refreshment at a local bar. Not interested in the shopping, it's the same shops in every Caribbean port. Why do we still cruise the Caribbean? Palm trees and turquoise water is my happy place, with the occasional steel band thrown in for some cheesy atmosphere!

We were in St Maarten in 2012, used Bernard, 2013 took the water taxi to Great Bay got chairs and set up our own buffet from the Get Wet Beach Bar, no pollution and we spent a lot of the afternoon in the water. Last yr we along with 12 others went with Capt Bob with his Son driving the speed boat, fantastic!

We have been there 7 times over the years and done a number of diff ship tours also. With first time cruisers I would go with what makes them confortable this cruise. Then when you go back with them they will be ready to branch out.

Try and find one that stops at Maho Beach which is at the end of the run way for the airport. You can watch Great Bay and the planes land on the web cam to help get your friends even more excited.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV12sJ_NX3qsAqtHBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1475581997/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.portstmaartenwebcam.com%2f/RK=0/RS=hKsFvoFkL9D5kj4GWaic0tDGM5Q-

Edited by wallie5446

..........Try and find one that stops at Maho Beach which is at the end of the run way for the airport. You can watch Great Bay and the planes land on the web cam to help get your friends even more excited.

Maho Beach is one of the major attractions where the island tours stop for people to watch the planes.

The taxi company's Circle Island Tour goes there and the driver lets you off at the Sunset Beach Bar. You can watch the planes from the bar, or go out on the sand.

(See post #14 - has link to full description of the island tour that is $25 pp for a group of 8 )

Maho Beach is stop #2 on their map.

St.Maarten-Taxi-Circle-Tour1.png

Edited by fleckle

Much as we do lots of things independently we have also used lots of ships tours (one way to use up all that OBC!).

I do have to say that generally they have been of a good standard of coach, quality guides and variety of stops. For first visits to any island they do give you a good overview. It also helps that fellow passengers tend to be a thoughtful and punctual group too! For nervous or less seasoned travelers they are great....

Hope you and your friends have a great cruise and excursion.

I've been to St Maarten/Martin quite a few times land based. Traffic is horrible, especially when the cruise ships are in port. I wouldn't take bus or taxi anywhere, you'll spend the majority of your time stopped in traffic. Some on this thread are suggesting boat tours, that's a much better thing to do, more quality time. Don't know how much time you have but there's a ferry to St Barts that goes out of Philipsburg called Great Bay Express. St Barts is way better than the French side St Martin. You could also charter a boat with enough people to split up the cost.

I've been to St Maarten/Martin quite a few times land based. Traffic is horrible, especially when the cruise ships are in port. I wouldn't take bus or taxi anywhere, you'll spend the majority of your time stopped in traffic. Some on this thread are suggesting boat tours, that's a much better thing to do, more quality time. Don't know how much time you have but there's a ferry to St Barts that goes out of Philipsburg called Great Bay Express. St Barts is way better than the French side St Martin. You could also charter a boat with enough people to split up the cost.

I have been there many times, have taken taxis everywhere, Orient Bay, Maho, Margot, and never spent the majority of time stopped in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been there many times, have taken taxis everywhere, Orient Bay, Maho, Margot, and never spent the majority of time stopped in traffic. QUOTE]

Charles, then you were asleep, didn't notice or just happened to hit the worst areas at a slow time. Marigot is one of the more congested areas, as well as the area from Simpson Bay, especially if the bridge is up, to Philipsburg, including Maho and SXM airport. Areas on the east side like Oyster pond, Orient Bay are not bad though if you just go there from Philipsburg you'll just have some traffic getting in and out.

I have been there many times, have taken taxis everywhere, Orient Bay, Maho, Margot, and never spent the majority of time stopped in traffic. QUOTE]

Charles, then you were asleep, didn't notice or just happened to hit the worst areas at a slow time. Marigot is one of the more congested areas, as well as the area from Simpson Bay, especially if the bridge is up, to Philipsburg, including Maho and SXM airport. Areas on the east side like Oyster pond, Orient Bay are not bad though if you just go there from Philipsburg you'll just have some traffic getting in and out.

We almost always rent a car in St Maarten.

I would say, yes, there can be traffic, but in reality it might be 1/2 hour of waiting time (when extremely busy!)...It really isn't like you are stuck in traffic for hours!

And with the new bridge, the drawbridge being "up" isn't an issue anymore!