What is better on Celebrity now?

LabGuy64

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We have done 4 X cruises in recent years and have 3 more booked. I'll also be booking another whilst on board our next cruise.

We've sailed on both M & S class. each has it's plusses and minuses. Obviously S class is newer.

Why do we love X? Itineraries, food, service, entertainment, comfort, general ambience, value for money. Basically, it's the whole package.

Anything I don't like? The sad demise of formal nights into what we now call shabby chic. But does it matter?.........not really. Oh, the other thing I really can't stand is people who seem to delight in finding fault and criticise every minor flaw, things that most mortals wouldn't even notice......'cos we're too busy having a wonderful X holiday!

Like we say you can't please everyone and that is ok. On our Recent Millie cruise the Martini Bar was packed every night. So they must be doing something that pleased a lot of people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have always enjoyed 'Formal nights' on P&O, it's a shame Celebrity don't do them - does that mean I can't wear my beautiful new long dress!! Boo hop!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can wear what you like!

My wife and I still dress up, because we enjoy it, as do others.

Meanwhile, some guests will turn up looking like they've just got back from the gym. Who cares! As long as you're wearing what you want, don't worry about the others. There are still plenty of fellow guests who will dress appropriately.

We have always enjoyed 'Formal nights' on P&O, it's a shame Celebrity don't do them - does that mean I can't wear my beautiful new long dress!! Boo hop!

You can be as formal as you want on any night and in any eating venue. I still some guests dressing in tux and long gowns - not as much as in the past, but still there. They look absolutely stunning. By all means dress up as much as you like.

Better is a relative term. Better than what? Better for who?

Certainly, the suite experience is better for those who book them, but that can be viewed as worse for those not in suites. No access to Michael's Club or Luminae come to mind.

"Free" drink packages may be better for those who drink at least moderately, but not at the expense os overall higher prices for those who drink less.

For me, some of the things that are better:

Captain's Club benefits are better than in the past.

The cold drinks & towels when returning to the ship on a hot day are a welcome addition.

The S class bathrooms are better than those on their older ships, with more storage & no sticky shower curtains.

The elmination of formal nights (there, I've said it), & the eliminatio of informal nights.

The additional choice of select dining.

The greater selection of food in the Oceanview Cafe, & the food islands on S class ships.

The faster internet.

I am sure there are other things that will come to me as soon as I post this!

Edited by richsea

Wear whatever you like :). Connie, which I believe you will be sailing on, is a beautiful ship. We've sailed on her a couple of times :). I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. I take it you're cruising this December? We also have teens in our party but we're not completing the Arabian Sea & India cruise until next December ;). We're off to Asia this year too, Hong Kong to Singapore, and our kids can't wait :D.

Our 1st Celebrity cruise was in 1994, so I guess we qualify in the 'Legend' cat!:D By Dec 2000 on the Horizon we had sailed on 7 diff cruise lines. Then putting a kid thru Med school and life in general, we only cruised 2 times in the next 10 years, both with RCCL, 2003 Rhapsody, 2007 Mariner.

2011 RCCL, 2012 Princess, 2013 back to X on the Reflection, last 2 on the Equinox, with the next booked.

I have to agree that the S-Class ships are WONDERFUL!

For us, the current product delivered by Celebrity is on par in quality as what we were used to way back when, and we have more choices should we want to spend more. What RCCL and Princess gave us for our money was not close.

Is M class so bad? We've never sailed with Celebrity before, only P&O. Does M class get free internet? Also, the drinks packages? We are family of 4 with 2 teen boys, are they worth purchasing and do I do that through my TA or direct with Celebrity or when on board? Celebrity 'newbie' so any tip, hints and advise really appreciated. Thx

I've sailed on both and prefer M class! I love the smaller ship size. The perks and drink packages aren't dependent on what ship you're on. If you get free internet, then you'll have it no matter what Celebrity ship you're on. But not everyone gets it free - depends on your status or cabin or the deals available when you booked? You can purchase drink packages ahead of time or do it when on board. We do it on board because we like to use OBC for them.

What do your boys like to drink? There are some great non-alcoholic drink packages. Unless they are content with getting just water, tea, and lemonade from the buffet - a drink package is wonderful. A few sodas a day and you've paid for the soda package. But you can wait and see after the first day and get it after that and it's then prorated.

Since our first Celebrity Cruise I think a lot of things have changed for the better.

1. The acapella singing groups replaced with more contemporary music options. Along with the entertainment in general appealing to a younger audience then in the past.

2. For Suites the addition of Luminae and Michael's Club is outstanding.

3, WIFI is much improved

4. Drink Packages save so much money and afford the opportunity to try new selections that you would not try otherwise.

5. The cold towels and drinks provided when returning to the ship after a hot day is wonderful addition.

Now I know some will disagree with some of the changes I like , but my wife and I are in our mid to late 40's, our children are grown and we normally sail in at least a Sky Suite. I believe we are currently Celebrity's target market and they are slowing changing their product to meet our needs and I think they are doing a great job of it.

I'll pack my long dress then! Shame our teens aren't on same cruise. Ours are very excited about the ports but a little hesitant re the cruise BUT they've only ever done a Christmas markets cruise for 4 nights to Bruges and Amsterdam last December so this cruise will be very different for them and they've got their own state room - Hoorah for that! [emoji6]

Better. They finally expanded their itins to enable longer cruises. Only so many times one can do St.Thomas St.Martin and San Juan. I still want WCs on X. I found the food on Reflection this year better than Sillie 2 yrs. ago. Love the big solarium pools on S classes.

Edited by zoncom

Nice to see a positive thread even though some can't help being negative. I like many of the changes that others have mentioned especially the addition of new Loyalty Levels and the increased benefits. I for one appreciate the end of Captain's Tables. There was a core of people, including me, who were always invited. The shape of the table made conversation difficult and what conversation you could have was always pretty much the same. I do appreciate that those invited for the first or second time found an invitation to the Captain's Table exciting. I really enjoy the smaller tables in specialty restaurants hosted by an Officer.

Conversation is much easier and the table is much less formal. I believe that the new system also allows them to invite more people to participate. We all have options based on our individual wants, needs and experiences and for me the elimination of Captain's table has been a real plus.

Things that are pretty objectively better offer the years but it depends on from when you start measuring:

Cabins are bigger

More opportunity to have a balcony, which means, in comparison balconies are less expensive

More choices (Aqua, concierge, more suites)

More specialty restaurants

Bigger lidos, more choices

More restaurant and bar optoins

Bigger/nicer spas

Drink packages (these are a relatively new phenomenon, paid or as a perk)

Internet, high speed or otherwise

More ships, = more ports

Larger pools, more pool seating

Better coffee

Happy sailing,

Jenna