Wondering About Upgrades

The one and only time we got an upgrade offer to a pinnacle suite was when we booked directly with HAL. For the last number of years we have used a TA. Does anyone know/think that upgrades are prioritized by who books directly with HAL? It may make sense as there are no commissions paid on the direct bookings. What has been your experience? Thank!

The one and only time we got an upgrade offer to a pinnacle suite was when we booked directly with HAL. For the last number of years we have used a TA. Does anyone know/think that upgrades are prioritized by who books directly with HAL? It may make sense as there are no commissions paid on the direct bookings. What has been your experience? Thank!

The general consensus is that HAL, like other cruise lines, just isn't doing 'upgrades'. They would rather offer 'upsells'.

Some do think that the chances of dealing directly with HAL offers the advantage that one doesn't have to go through a TA to take advantage of the upgrade/upsell. Since there are fewer people in the loop, you might be able to respond before the upsell/upgrades are gone.

Quite frankly, since there are only two Pinnacle suites, upgrade or upsell offers to these suites are very limited.

Of course HAL would rather do an upsell, than an upgrade. That is revenue, folks.

Each cruise is different. They do what they need to, to fill the ship. It doesn't matter if you book through HAL, or through a TA. If they predict upselling or upgrading you will result in a full ship, and maximize revenue, you will get a call.

Perhaps the best way to get a better cabin is to book the lowest level in a type of cabin...VH or SC, for example. Frequently these are in the "guarantee" method. There are very few of these, and a low price in these categories is a way to get people booked into the general category. Then people get bumped up.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Of course HAL would rather do an upsell, than an upgrade. That is revenue, folks.

Each cruise is different. They do what they need to, to fill the ship. It doesn't matter if you book through HAL, or through a TA. If they predict upselling or upgrading you will result in a full ship, and maximize revenue, you will get a call.

And this is why free upgrades generally come late in the process, after HAL has completed the upsell approach.

You cannot blame them - why not get some money for the upsold cabins before you just give them away for free.

Edited by DaveOKC

Perhaps the best way to get a better cabin is to book the lowest level in a type of cabin...VH or SC, for example. Frequently these are in the "guarantee" method. There are very few of these, and a low price in these categories is a way to get people booked into the general category. Then people get bumped up.

(bold is mine) So true! I'm sure there is a complicated computer program that tracks sales for each cruise and decides when to make price changes. I'll read about price drops here and when I check my booked cruise (or a cruise I'm watching), I always find no change. I guess I pick popular cruises and they don't need to lower prices.

We use a TA and have had upsell offers whenever there is availability. :)

I think it's important to let your TA know you are interested in an upsell. You can even tell them how much you are willing to spend (and authorize it) so they can go ahead and grab it for you if/when it is offered.

Upgrades (free) are done by HAL and I don't think anyone has figured out how the "upgrade fairy" works ;)

My belief is that HAL has an algorithm it uses to offer upsells.

Probably associated with a Big Data mining operation looking at past history of the already booked passengers and the cabin mix already booked. Makes sense to move people up to higher price cabins (even with a discount incentive) to open up lower cost cabins for budget minded people. Ultimate goal is always a full ship where they get more on-board spending revenue.

Quick question.I am not really looking for a paid upgrade but certainly would entertain one. Does the fact that we mark 'no upgrade' on our booking affect a paid upgrade (or upsell if you prefer)?

We had an experience on the Westerdam where we accepted a several category balcony upgrade for an Alaska cruise and while our cabin was midship the balcony was very dark and directly over some life boats. I felt I was very lucky to change my cabin at time of sailing. We had a lesser cabin

category I believe but we loved our high bow location for Alaska sightseeing.

After this experience we indicate no upgrade on our resv.

Many thanks for comments.

Quick question.I am not really looking for a paid upgrade but certainly would entertain one. Does the fact that we mark 'no upgrade' on our booking affect a paid upgrade (or upsell if you prefer)?

We had an experience on the Westerdam where we accepted a several category balcony upgrade for an Alaska cruise and while our cabin was midship the balcony was very dark and directly over some life boats. I felt I was very lucky to change my cabin at time of sailing. We had a lesser cabin

category I believe but we loved our high bow location for Alaska sightseeing.

After this experience we indicate no upgrade on our resv.

Many thanks for comments.

You still receive upsell offers if you have marked it no upgrade from what some of our roll call members have experienced.

You still receive upsell offers if you have marked it no upgrade from what some of our roll call members have experienced.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Since we have never had upsell offers from any line in over 10 cruises I am certainly not expecting anything. Possibly also because we book with the big C box store. We also typically high category balconies so am thinking this may also be a factor.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Since we have never had upsell offers from any line in over 10 cruises I am certainly not expecting anything. Possibly also because we book with the big C box store. We also typically high category balconies so am thinking this may also be a factor.

Your are most welcome :)

FWIW, I don't think some of the big box stores are offered or pass on offers to their clients. JMO. I used to deal with one years ago and NEVER got upsell offers even though I knew they were underway.

Call the big box TA and ask them to call HAL to see if there are any "paid upgrades" available. You'll be on hold for a bit of time but it might be worth it. In my (limited) experience dealing with the same TA, they don't forward on the upsell offers but they will make the call if requested.

You may end up calling more than once if you are unsuccessful the prior times. That, and dealing with a different person every time you call is one of the drawbacks of dealing with that TA, IMO.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

FWIW, I don't think some of the big box stores are offered or pass on offers to their clients. JMO. I used to deal with one years ago and NEVER got upsell offers even though I knew they were underway.

I think you are correct on this. Given their high volume, it would be a difficult task for them to follow up on and pass on all the upsell offers they must get, plus I bet they get little revenue from it.

One nice thing about dealing directly with HAL - the upsell offers come directly to me via email.

Jacqui, before we booked Neptune or Pinnacle Suites directly, we were offered up sells on eight straight HAL cruises, most of which we accepted from a large big online agency. It helped that she faithfully called HAL daily regarding up sell offers, and twice found out that they were to be offered the next day in an email blast to booking agencies.

In one case, friends we traveled with on a cruise that lived in California didn't get the offer as only two Neptune Suites were available and our online TA was on the East Coast.

Before that, I booked a few times with a brick and mortar agency, and once with an online agency that provided little discount, not the 12-15% I get with my current agency. :) Our agent is out of the cruising business, but we get the same discount.

Example below:

Scan2.jpg

Many board members used the same agent and the same agency. Totally, they currently have about 18 cruises booked with the agency. They have also been offered up sells.

Edited by kjw869

Jacqui, before we booked Neptune or Pinnacle Suites directly, we were offered up sells on eight straight HAL cruises, most of which we accepted from a large big online agency. It helped that she faithfully called HAL daily regarding up sell offers, and twice found out that they were to be offered the next day in an email blast to booking agencies.

In one case, friends we traveled with on a cruise that lived in California didn't get the offer as only two Neptune Suites were available and our online TA was on the East Coast.

Before that, I booked a few times with a brick and mortar agency, and once with an online agency that provided little discount, not the 12-15% I get with my current agency. :) Our agent is out of the cruising business, but we get the same discount.

Many board members used the same agent and the same agency. Totally, they currently have about 18 cruises booked with the agency.

You are doing the same thing I am - you deal with a large company but ONE agent. That agent is taking care of you.

The big box stores I am referring to do not assign you an agent. You get a different person every time you call. At least, that was my experience. They are interested in booking and volume - not customer care. JMO though ;). The big box store that was referenced is one of those IMO :).

Edited by kazu

You are doing the same thing I am - you deal with a large company but ONE agent. That agent is taking care of you.

The big box stores I am referring to do not assign you an agent. You get a different person every time you call. At least, that was my experience. They are interested in booking and volume - not customer care. JMO though ;). The big box store that was referenced is one of those IMO :).

Yes, I had one of those big box stores in which I had a very unpleasant experience. I was new to Cruise Critic and Roll Calls. One of the Roll Call members mentioned they were offered an up sell. I called that online agency and was told that because I booked a Signature Suite, we weren't "qualified" for an up sell. :eek: That didn't sound right, so I called HAL. They were at first hesitant to talk to me because I booked thriough an outside agency. However, the person transferred me to another department and when I told her what I was told by the online TA, she gave me a phone number the agency should call. A half hour later, the agency called and we took an up sell.

I assume against company policy, the HAL agent also told me of an agency and agent I should try the next time I book a cruise. She said she was moving out of state in a few weeks, so my assumption was she had nothing to lose. After about four years booking with this new agent and agency, I found out her experience included being a department director for Carnival Corporation (not cruise lines). I estimate it has saved us over $25,000 since we've booked with the agency. :)

Since she has moved on, all the agents at the agency treat me the same great way! :)

I appreciate the information. I may check with my box store agency on this.

I am not fixated on getting an upgrade but was curious about this. While I am sure there are some super TA's out there I do think they are few and far between. Overall, I have been pleased with the performance of the TA in question. They are readily available and the booking process and bonuses offered are transparent. I take it upon myself to learn about my cruise choices (largely through CC). I can relate dozens of times where the cruise lines themselves gave me inaccurate information when you would expect them to be thoroughly familiar with their own product.