what is the allowed latest time to go back to ship?

yuliam6

HI

me and my hosband will take our first cruise on MSC presioza at medetarian next week

what is the latest possible time to get on the ship after the days at ports?

for example, we will come to genoa, it written that the time for this port will be 9:00-18:00. can we really come back at 18:00 or the gates to the ship will close earliyer?

You must be onboard a minimum of 30 minutes before scheduled departure. There will usually be a sign on the pier telling you when all aboard is. Tender ports will list the time the last tender departs back to the ship and you will be told whether to remain on ships time or convert to local time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HI

me and my hosband will take our first cruise on MSC presioza at medetarian next week

for example, we will come to genoa, it written that the time for this port will be 9:00-18:00. can we really come back at 18:00 or the gates to the ship will close earliyer?

There will be signage on the ship each day telling you when to be back on board. It will also be provided in writing in the daily newsletter that is distributed each evening for the next day. Generally all aboard time is 30 minutes prior to departure. As long as you are in the line to board the ship at that time you will be fine.

As long as the ship is still tied up you can re-board but it isn't advisable to cut it that close.

This is a little misleading. Sure in theory you could board BUT if they have all the gang ways up and the doors closed just before they untie you are going to have one hard time getting back on board.

OP the time indicated for in port means that at 18:00 they will be pulling away from the dock. In order to pull away, the gangways will have been pulled up, any of the ships stuff will no longer be on the dock (like a canopies) and the crew will be safe and sound on board. If you are there at 17:55 you will have a crowd of people yelling at you from on board letting you know you missed the ship.

You might get lucky and the ship had to delay for some reason but I wouldn't bet on it. I once asked a Captain about who they wait for. He says the only one his ship waits for is him. Everyone else is irrelevant (okay, he used a different wording).

HI

One of my most entertaining times was watching the Preziosa depart with two passengers still running down the wharf. The ship did wait just away from the wharf while said passengers organised a small fishing boat to take them out to board ship.

Remember the ship has booked tugs, staff to untie all ropes etc and organised pilots for a particular time. They cannot afford to not make their designated sailaway time.

Always take your daily newsletter with port agents telephone number listed when you leave the ship.

Normally half an hour, but I have had ports where it's an hour, and of course tender ports are different again, but it will be pretty thoroughly advertised at the gangway in the newsletter.

Also make sure your watch is set to ship time.

Of course if they pull up the gang plank but are still tied they will throw you a piece of rope. (unattached of course)

Someone else can throw you a flash drive w pictures and video of you watching the ship without you.

DON

We too had the pleasure of watching a woman come meandering back to the ship with an armload of shopping bags in a port in Alaska. The ship was pulling out of the dock and blowing its whistle and she didn't even run, just kept walking as though they would wait or her. They left her!

I am always back on board at least an hour prior to sail away time, so at least 30 minutes before all aboard. I make sure any excursions I take will have me back near the port well before that time. You never know when there's going to be traffic or something else to hold you up and delay your getting back to the ship.

This is a little misleading. Sure in theory you could board BUT if they have all the gang ways up and the doors closed just before they untie you are going to have one hard time getting back on board.

OP the time indicated for in port means that at 18:00 they will be pulling away from the dock. In order to pull away, the gangways will have been pulled up, any of the ships stuff will no longer be on the dock (like a canopies) and the crew will be safe and sound on board. If you are there at 17:55 you will have a crowd of people yelling at you from on board letting you know you missed the ship.

You might get lucky and the ship had to delay for some reason but I wouldn't bet on it. I once asked a Captain about who they wait for. He says the only one his ship waits for is him. Everyone else is irrelevant (okay, he used a different wording).

Okay, so amend my comment to "as long as the gangway is still in place". My point was that they will not deny you boarding just because you miss the back aboard time (which is different from initial boarding because if you miss that time by too much they will deny boarding). Of course one does not want to cut it that closely (we plan to be back an hour before the stated time if we are going out on our own).

Okay, so amend my comment to "as long as the gangway is still in place". My point was that they will not deny you boarding just because you miss the back aboard time (which is different from initial boarding because if you miss that time by too much they will deny boarding). Of course one does not want to cut it that closely (we plan to be back an hour before the stated time if we are going out on our own).

I was only clarifying for the new cruiser because your response could have been construed differently then what you meant. I am 100% sure you know what time to be back on board but the person asking has no knowledge and might have thought it okay to book an excursion that ended, say, 15 minutes before sail away. I just didn't want the newbie to get there 1 minute before and go - hey sparks said I could.:)