Grandeur of the Seas 10/8/16

rms519

I just checked Marine Traffic which shows destination StJohns Canada. Ship appears to be about 2+ hours from mouth of bay. I live in Baltimore and we have had scattered light showers today, but most stopped around3pm. Hang on tonight, but hopefully will have smoother sailing tomorrow.

I've cruised out of Baltimore several times. Luggage is not put on the ship as soon as it's dropped off. The carts sit until they are full enough and then they are pulled around to the ship. It doesn't happen that fast. How can so many miss the point that RCI had to make a quick decision once the USCG decision was made? I can't believe you don't understand this was not in RCI's control.

It appears from timing that there was not enough time for the cruisers to make a decision and debark anyone and their luggage.. I'm betting they had maybe 1/2 hour to get out or not make it out of the bay. I'm amazed that people think RCI isn't putting safety ahead of everything else. This is NOT about anyone's value as a customer. It's about much more important things.

I do think some need to step back and quit thinking this is personal.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sad for later arriving passengers but Captain didn't have any other choice...

So, my parents drove to Baltimore, got on the ship, then were told that they were leaving early because they are closing Chesapeake Bay! The ship is supposed to go to Bermuda. I doubt it seeing as the storms are right in the path. RCCL has not informed anyone before the sailing or even right now. My parents decided to get off the ship seeing as we live in NY and can drive to Canada anyway. My parents are loyal Diamond cruisers. Unbelievable how Royal has not informed the passengers. So, they get off the ship and there are many people waiting to board that we're told they can't!! They just shut the doors on these people who were parking cars, etc. their baggage is on the ship! I cannot believe that Royal did not learn anything from the Anthem disaster!! I'm so happy my parents decided to get off the ship, but so disappointed in RCCL that they are so lacking in customer service!!

So why did your parents get off the ship and not stay onboard? I believe this was a last minute decision that had to be made because of the closure of the Chesapeake Bay this evening and that's why the early departure. RCCL had nothing to do with the decision to close the Bay. I believe the ship is going to Canada and RCCL has the right to change an itinerary for safety reasons, storms, etc. So what is your complaint?

So why did your parents get off the ship and not stay onboard? I believe this was a last minute decision that had to be made because of the closure of the Chesapeake Bay this evening and that's why the early departure. RCCL had nothing to do with the decision to close the Bay. I believe the ship is going to Canada and RCCL has the right to change an itinerary for safety reasons, storms, etc. So what is your complaint?

Actually, I do understand every one of your points. However, my point is that Canada is much different than Bermuda. Can't argue that fact. Passengers should've been given a choice and this should have been a choice for passengers from the get-go. I have had altered itineraries and missed ports due to weather and did not complain. I mean, come on, you don't think one person at RCI was watching the weather and thinking this was a possibility?? Seriously folks, it's incredible that you don't think a company who you pay to provide you with a service, should give you any service. We all work hard for our money, I'm sure. It's bizarre that some people will stick up for these big companies like they are doing you a favor! [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, my parents drove to Baltimore, got on the ship, then were told that they were leaving early because they are closing Chesapeake Bay! The ship is supposed to go to Bermuda. I doubt it seeing as the storms are right in the path. RCCL has not informed anyone before the sailing or even right now. My parents decided to get off the ship seeing as we live in NY and can drive to Canada anyway. My parents are loyal Diamond cruisers. Unbelievable how Royal has not informed the passengers. So, they get off the ship and there are many people waiting to board that we're told they can't!! They just shut the doors on these people who were parking cars, etc. their baggage is on the ship! I cannot believe that Royal did not learn anything from the Anthem disaster!! I'm so happy my parents decided to get off the ship, but so disappointed in RCCL that they are so lacking in customer service!!

That is horrible.

That is horrible.

Looks like Royal has some explaining to do. Due to depart at 16:00 and as of 15:35 Marine Traffic has it past the Harbor Tunnel, must have departed pretty close to 3.

I'm guessing this was a last minute Coast Guard decision based on the storm track and the Captain was faced with either leaving early or not leaving at all.

I expect when things settle out Royal will do the right thing according to the situation. Very unfortunate for people who arrived towards the end of the boarding period.

With regard to a possible change of destination, that's just a part of cruising in hurricane season and beyond Royal's control.

Either the Captain screwed up or he made the best decision he could under very trying circumstances.

Roy

I don't really want to Monday Morning Quarterback the situation, but if I am reading these times correctly, she left about an hour early.

You are supposed to be checked in 90 minutes before scheduled sailing. Therefore if she was supposed to sail at 4, you (everyone) should have been on board by 2:30. Sailing at 3 shouldn't have left anyone "stranded".

I am confused.

I don't really want to Monday Morning Quarterback the situation, but if I am reading these times correctly, she left about an hour early.

You are supposed to be checked in 90 minutes before scheduled sailing. Therefore if she was supposed to sail at 4, you (everyone) should have been on board by 2:30. Sailing at 3 shouldn't have left anyone "stranded".

I am confused.

I had a similar thought.

I am confused.

To clear your confusion. At 2:00 they stopped allowing people in. They shut the doors. The TSA and RCL employees explained that the port was closed and gave them a card to call RCL to get a refund. All aboard was originally at 3:00 I know that is cutting it close but this still surprised many people. Some of who have only their luggage on this cruise

This is interesting. I just got off Grandeur on Saturday from a nine day trip to Canada. We left Halifax on Wednesday. The captain explained that we were speeding up to escape any bad weather and to get close to the home port as quickly possible. At noon on Thursday there was a new weather report and then the decision was made to slow down.

So my point in all this is that the captain, and RCI, know about the possibility of the coast guard closing the port in very bad weather. I will let others decide if Royal could have acted sooner to let passengers know about this particular situation.

To clear your confusion. At 2:00 they stopped allowing people in. They shut the doors. The TSA and RCL employees explained that the port was closed and gave them a card to call RCL to get a refund. All aboard was originally at 3:00 I know that is cutting it close but this still surprised many people. Some of who have only their luggage on this cruise

By 2:00, there are usually only stragglers still boarding. This just gives another reason to arrive early, but I do wonder how many this really affected? I bet this surprised RCI and the port as much as anyone else. The decision to close the port was probably made very quickly once the storm forecast shifted more north. BTW, the eye of the storm actually moved 75 miles farther north than was forecast. Everyone, from computer models, was expecting the turn to the east to happen farther south than it did. It didn't and the USCG made a decision. RCI can't disobey the USCG.

Edited by BND

This is interesting. I just got off Grandeur on Saturday from a nine day trip to Canada. We left Halifax on Wednesday. The captain explained that we were speeding up to escape any bad weather and to get close to the home port as quickly possible. At noon on Thursday there was a new weather report and then the decision was made to slow down.

So my point in all this is that the captain, and RCI, know about the possibility of the coast guard closing the port in very bad weather. I will let others decide if Royal could have acted sooner to let passengers know about this particular situation.

You slowed back down because Hurricane Matthew slowed in it's foreward progress so you didn't need to beat it. Original forecast had it moving north and off the coast south of the mouth of the bay Saturday afternoon-evening. Once it slowed down, it wasn't going to impact your getting into the bay and the eastern turn wasn't supposed to affect the ship leaving very much either.

I've cruised out of Baltimore several times. Luggage is not put on the ship as soon as it's dropped off. The carts sit until they are full enough and then they are pulled around to the ship. It doesn't happen that fast. How can so many miss the point that RCI had to make a quick decision once the USCG decision was made? I can't believe you don't understand this was not in RCI's control.

It appears from timing that there was not enough time for the cruisers to make a decision and debark anyone and their luggage.. I'm betting they had maybe 1/2 hour to get out or not make it out of the bay. I'm amazed that people think RCI isn't putting safety ahead of everything else. This is NOT about anyone's value as a customer. It's about much more important things.

I do think some need to step back and quit thinking this is personal.

"Like" 😊 Very well said. Again, when you cruise during hurricane season, stuff happens. Anyone planning to go in his cruise should have been proactive and packed for both Canada AND Bermuda. One never knows with this type of storm just what might happen. Apparently the parents had no idea Matthew was coming and there might be rough seas going to Bermuda?? We were on the infamous Explorer sailing during hurricane Sandy. We knew before we left what we could be in for. Very rough seas, but we got to Bermuda.

When dealing with Mother Nature, it's always changing and decisions need to be made. I'm sure RC will step up to the plate and compensate passengers. They need time to figure out the mess that was dropped in their lap.

"Like" �� Very well said. Again, when you cruise during hurricane season, stuff happens. Anyone planning to go in his cruise should have been proactive and packed for both Canada AND Bermuda. One never knows with this type of storm just what might happen. Apparently the parents had no idea Matthew was coming and there might be rough seas going to Bermuda?? We were on the infamous Explorer sailing during hurricane Sandy. We knew before we left what we could be in for. Very rough seas, but we got to Bermuda.

When dealing with Mother Nature, it's always changing and decisions need to be made. I'm sure RC will step up to the plate and compensate passengers. They need time to figure out the mess that was dropped in their lap.

I was over looking at the roll call for Oct 8 and there was discussion about whether they would go to Bermuda or not. RCI at the time people called said Bermuda was still on, which it was. I'm sure there will be compensation because even though it wasn't their fault, cruisers were impacted through no fault of their own, other than arriving so late to the port. But, for someone to not know Matthew was out there or where it was forecast to move to defies logic. There's always the chance of rough seas, whether there's a hurricane or not. We've had our worst seas with large low pressure systems moving off the US east coast.

We were on the cruise after Sandy and got to see the aftermath in NJ and the cars at the port that were innundated. We had many cancel, I think around 900 due to either damage from Sandy to their homes or concern about getting to Bayonne. RCI let people cancel because of the damage, etc. We took Amtrak to Newark the day before our cruise and up until two days before our cruise, we didnt' know if Amtrak was running or we were going to have to drive. We also didn't know if the port would be able to handle us as they had no power and had been flooded also. They managed the power issue and carpeting had been pulled up and drywall was being repaired. It wasn't pretty, but we didnt' care. We just went with the flow.

Edited by BND

By 2:00, there are usually only stragglers still boarding. This just gives another reason to arrive early, but I do wonder how many this really affected? I bet this surprised RCI and the port as much as anyone else. The decision to close the port was probably made very quickly once the storm forecast shifted more north. BTW, the eye of the storm actually moved 75 miles farther north than was forecast. Everyone, from computer models, was expecting the turn to the east to happen farther south than it did. It didn't and the USCG made a decision. RCI can't disobey the USCG.

I agree. I think it might be a reasonable guess that by 2:00 there should have been something like 1600 on board and perhaps 200 either arriving or close to the port. Perhaps another 100 chose to get off when early departure and new destination were announced. That left likely 1500 people.

If the ship waited until 4:00 to depart they would not have had time to get our of the bay. With the Pride coming in they would need to either anchor or go to a cargo terminal to wait until the bay opened. With just 4 days to work with, getting to Canada and back is already a stretch; waiting until the bay reopened would likely make it impossible. With both cruises without a foreign port and cruises to nowhere are discouraged that leaves few options.

I think people who planned to arrive late in the boarding window should be compensated. I hope the ship will make some accommodations for people whose luggage did not quite make it on the ship.

This is hurricane season and people should know that changes are possible. The storm was well publicized so people should certainly have thought that changes were possible.

I think because the Captain took bold action most of the 1500 who stayed will have an interesting adventure while the prospects would have been bleak if the ship had not left early.

Roy

I agree. I think it might be a reasonable guess that by 2:00 there should have been something like 1600 on board and perhaps 200 either arriving or close to the port. Perhaps another 100 chose to get off when early departure and new destination were announced. That left likely 1500 people.

The new destination was not formally announced until 2+ hours after leaving. We still don't know where we're going.

It was an interesting night to say the least.

Actually, I do understand every one of your points. However, my point is that Canada is much different than Bermuda. Can't argue that fact. Passengers should've been given a choice and this should have been a choice for passengers from the get-go. I have had altered itineraries and missed ports due to weather and did not complain. I mean, come on, you don't think one person at RCI was watching the weather and thinking this was a possibility?? Seriously folks, it's incredible that you don't think a company who you pay to provide you with a service, should give you any service. We all work hard for our money, I'm sure. It's bizarre that some people will stick up for these big companies like they are doing you a favor! [emoji848]

1. Royal had no control over the departure situation. If they didn't leave when they did, they would've been stuck in the bay. I'm sure anyone that was left "stranded" because of it will get a full refund and maybe even some sort of small compensation. This was a LAST MINUTE decision by the USCG.

2. When you book a cruise, especially during hurricane season, you should know that ports may be changed. You should should know that (technically) Royal owes you nothing. You should know that if the cruise sails, you can't just decide to get off because you "don't like the uncertainty."

3. Don't think anyone is really sticking up for Royal...many are simply explaining the ACCURATE/REASONABLE facts as to why this occurred.

Again, I completely understand weather, new ports, rough seas, etc. All that I'm saying is that RCI should have given people an option at least on the day of cruising. I'm sure they will compensate and it looks like they have. It's all about customer service here, folks. It's a lot of people to leave uncertain. Those on and off the ship. Still surprised that some people get so defensive and try to make it look like there was nothing else RCI could have done. None of us know what the captains/RCI discussed yesterday or the day before, etc. Bottom line, this cruise definitely didn't go as planned for any of the passengers and that is unfortunate.