Netflix?!

To each their own... but I would never think of watching a movie on a cruise.... maybe one out on the pool deck on the big screen but that would be stretching it. I can watch movies at home! I'd never be able to set for 2 hours and watch a movie, I'd be too worried about what I was missing around the ship. I guess it is just the way I am wired, but I have a hard time even wanting to sleep on a ship... I'd much rather be out and about seeing the sights and sounds for myself. Anything on a screen can wait 7 days for me to get back.

Transatlantics are longer than 7 days. Our upcoming TA has 9 sea days in a row. We plan on hooking up our iPad to the tv and streaming.

That is my thought with all the sea days having a little tv time isn't a bad idea. I even do that on a 7 day cruise some nights you just want to chill out in your cabin and the cruise lines tv choices aren't the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously it's none of my business what you do on your vacation. But how you use the Internet could impact others. It wouldn't take many streaming users to use all the ship's passenger bandwidth and slow my access to a crawl.

Cruise lines that don't have the available internet bandwidth can and do block access to streaming services like Netflix.

Cruise lines that do have the available bandwidth (I think only RCI?) advertise and promote their streaming ability. RCI even includes the word "stream" in their advertising for their higher-tier package (I think it's literally called "Surf and Stream").

It was a good try, though. :)

Edited by AdoraBelle

I have not read all of the comments, but we used my android phone and ipad both to watch netflix and use the dishanywhere app to watch shows and things we had recorded on our TA on the Allure with VOOM (real VOOM) be prepared for a few days of on and off coverage when they swap satellites.

The connection was pretty good and make sure you know how to adjust the quality on your device.

You can use a laptop too of course. You can get USB to HDMI adapters as well as connectors for iPads too.

I'll tell you something, this last cruise on NCL Breakaway is the last one without internet. I'm sorry but I will have internet for all cruises going forward. You can say anything you want, I don't care, but that is my thoughts. I love getting news on my phone all day. I like being able to get my email and send them. We pulled into NYC port and I had 500 emails to go through. Nope, I decided I will have internet on cruises going forward.

I need to warn you--the Internet on NCL at this point is almost as bad as "no internet". I was on the GA in June and the whole service was offline so often I ended up getting a refund. Escape is supposed to be just as bad. They announced upgrades but never made them. I'm obviously a tech enthusiast, but I'll be on Escape in a few days and this is the first time NCL is *not* getting my "unlimited internet" money. I'm going to do my damnedest to hold out for St. Thomas and Tortola, ports where I'll be able to use my Verizon plan. I may end up caving and getting a small "minutes" package, but no way are they getting $200 from me.

Cruise lines that do have the available bandwidth (I think only RCI?) advertise and promote their streaming ability. RCI even includes the word "stream" in their advertising for their higher-tier package (I think it's literally called "Surf and Stream").

They can advertise/market just about anything, but it's hard to deliver when BW is limited - granted,a much higher limit with real VOOM, but still limited. Enough people get on and as Steve mentioned, things will slow.

They can advertise/market just about anything, but it's hard to deliver when BW is limited - granted,a much higher limit with real VOOM, but still limited. Enough people get on and as Steve mentioned, things will slow.

As it turns out, I'm a systems admin and know how network bandwidth works.

I have no idea why we're on this particular theoretical tangent though--just the fun of arguing online, I guess? Has there been 'too many people streaming' drama on RCI boards before this, or have we invented it on the spot just to make sure the anti-tech crowd has a position to take up?

As it turns out, I'm a systems admin and know how network bandwidth works.

I have no idea why we're on this particular theoretical tangent though--just the fun of arguing online, I guess? Has there been 'too many people streaming' drama on RCI boards before this, or have we invented it on the spot just to make sure the anti-tech crowd has a position to take up?

I'm not going to get into a deep technical discussion with you. Advertising stream and delivering it is two issues. It does slow when there is heavy usage. That is a fact. Netflix recommends 5 Mbps for HD feeds. It doesn't take too many to use up the limited Satellite bandwidth on Brilliance.

It's no different from cable Internet. A whole neighborhood is on one feed. Late afternoon and early evening when bandwidth usage is heavy, your access bandwidth drops.

I've been a data processing expert since 1975. There is no anti-tech in me or drama.

I have not tried to watch Netflix on a cruise, but I have tried and not been able to watch Netflix in other countries while on vacation. Even if the internet was good enough, would being out your subscribed country not be an issue, especially on a TA?

The nice part about Netflix is that you pick up the "local" subscription wherever you are. I subscribe to Netflix Canada, and I love crossing over into the US, where my feed changes to what is available on Netflix US. Shows/series that I have been watching in Canada are no longer available and I can start watching shows in the US stream, that become no longer available when I come home.

I'm not sure what feed one would get on a cruise ship. Happy to report back after sailing Oasis.

Thanks for all the input folks! Queen of Oakville, our experience has been the same going into the USA, but not in Spain. In Spain no Netflix was allowed at all - well not ours anyway! That was on an extended trip a few years ago, maybe it's different now. We will try our laptop on the ship and bringing an HDMI cable just in case.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

For those questioning speed, it has been reported on some of the voom threads that surf and stream is fast enough to stream Netflix.

Chris, one think you may want to try is Chromecast. You can pick it up most places. You plug it into an HDMI port, and then from your ipad/tablet/laptop, you cast to the device. Someone asked about it recently, but I don't know if anyone has tried it yet.

We don't get the Internet packages, but I have "rented and downloaded" a movie on our tablet from Amazon before getting on the ship and watched it on the ship while relaxing after an excursion. If you have prime it's an option anyway. Happy sailings

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Personally I don't care to get internet for more than maybe a day or two on a long voyage--I like being unreachable, but I don't understand why others criticize those who want to enjoy watching their shows, or reading emails or surfing facebook, etc from onboard.

Many of us take a good book to read---I never hear anyone criticize that, but you can do it at home as well.

Same goes for playing card games, or going to a swiming pool or a variety of other things people enjoy as part of their cruise experience.

This! On my first cruise I went and sat by the pool with a book. About 20 minutes in I realized that this was something I could do at home - at a much nicer pool. So I went to do something else. I didn't look at the people who were sun worshipping and say "Why are they just lying here?! They should be off exploring the ship!"

That's why the cruise line offers so many different amenities. Not everyone gets to do the same thing in their everyday lives. Maybe people DON'T have time to just sit and watch a movie at home. Maybe their lives are just that busy. Maybe they're serious movie buffs and cruise enthusiasts and watching a good movie on a cruise combines 2 of their favorite things.

And on my last cruise, I actually enjoyed watching Shrek in my room with my son and sister one evening. :D We almost had to arm wrestle over who would get the nice cozy extra blanket my cabin attendant brought on Day 1. :p

I need to warn you--the Internet on NCL at this point is almost as bad as "no internet". I was on the GA in June and the whole service was offline so often I ended up getting a refund. Escape is supposed to be just as bad. They announced upgrades but never made them. I'm obviously a tech enthusiast, but I'll be on Escape in a few days and this is the first time NCL is *not* getting my "unlimited internet" money. I'm going to do my damnedest to hold out for St. Thomas and Tortola, ports where I'll be able to use my Verizon plan. I may end up caving and getting a small "minutes" package, but no way are they getting $200 from me.

My next cruise is on Anthem of the seas [RCI] and its supposed to be one of the best internet speeds in the industry so I think it might be OK.

We don't get the Internet packages, but I have "rented and downloaded" a movie on our tablet from Amazon before getting on the ship and watched it on the ship while relaxing after an excursion. If you have prime it's an option anyway. Happy sailings

Awesome! I'll have to remember this. How much storage space did you have on the tablet? Just wondering how much I would need to do that. 32GB? 64?

Awesome! I'll have to remember this. How much storage space did you have on the tablet? Just wondering how much I would need to do that. 32GB? 64?

All you need empty space. Depends on what you download. I do it all the time from ITunes and Amazon Prime. If you don't have an iPad already I would recommend at least 64GB if you are going to download or rent videos. When I do downloads I delete them as soon as I view them to free up space. I have a 128 GB but a 64 GB would be enough for most people.

Edited by Charles4515

Sorry to hijack, but curious to know if anyone tries Sportsnet Now while on the ship. Not sure if it works outside of Canada.

will add that to the list of things I report back on.

I tried it last summer in NY and it didn't stream outside of Canada.

I thought it Sportsnet Now something new, just saw the ad last night. I know Bell's FIBE TV app stops working as soon as you cross the border. Had a felling this one would be the same way. thanks.

If you have a VPN you can often make them think you are somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used my fire which I think was 64gb and I think we had 4 movies on it so 32Gb would hold a couple I would think. I'll admit technology isn't my forte so if I was able to do it anyone can, lol