Lost items on Ruby Princess in Ensenada on 10/3/2016

Dojomalida

We traveled on the Ruby Princess on September 30-October 4, 2016. It was a great first time cruise experience. However another passenger picked up one of our souvenir bags from the security screening area as it was coming out of the x-ray machine's conveyor belt, when we were returning to the ship in Ensenada on Monday, 10/3/16. It was a black plastic bag with souvenir t-shirts, a woodcarving, etc. some of these items purchased by my 5 year old with his own money. I hope it was an honest mistake and the people who took it will try to return it to us as soon as they realize it's not theirs. We checked with lost and found several times on the ship, up until right before we disembarked, but no one turned it in on the ship. I also contacted Princess Cruises corporate lost and found dept..

You are kind to say by mistake. People know if they bought anything

or if they picked up wrong bag. Sounds like just a dishonest person took it.

This has happened to us on a Princess tour. Tour operator said to leave stuff on bus as it is safe and will be locked (in Europe).

Well, did notice a couple of passengers lingering as all of us got off the bus (we all were already off except these two).

My bags were closed. Got back on bus and one of my bags wide open and a beautiful lacquor box was gone.It would have been awkward to start accusing and my husband said to let it go.And I did.

I certainly would have pressed the issue much harder while on board. No way this is a simple case of lost-and-not-found. Ship's security could have reviewed the video tape, seen exactly who picked up your bag, rewound the tape to the precise moment that person's cruise card was scanned--and then found your belongings by searching that persons cabin.

Should your feelings be so strong, I do hope you are able to escalate to the proper person in corporate who will demand security on Ruby pull the video tape--if only to castigate them for not doing so when you reported this on board.

I certainly would have pressed the issue much harder while on board. No way this is a simple case of lost-and-not-found. Ship's security could have reviewed the video tape, seen exactly who picked up your bag, rewound the tape to the precise moment that person's cruise card was scanned--and then found your belongings by searching that persons cabin.

Should your feelings be so strong, I do hope you are able to escalate to the proper person in corporate who will demand security on Ruby pull the video tape--if only to castigate them for not doing so when you reported this on board.

Trust me we tried EVERYTHING we could while on the ship. Also I've been trying to post here since the day we returned, but I was only granted access today. I'm pretty sure it's too late now, but still, you never know... :cool:

Trust me we tried EVERYTHING we could while on the ship. Also I've been trying to post here since the day we returned, but I was only granted access today. I'm pretty sure it's too late now, but still, you never know... :cool:
Good luck, I left something in my cabin years ago and knew exactly where I left it. I called Princess as soon as I got home and was told nothing was turned over to lost and found. So whatever it was I left behind, probably sunglasses (so long ago I don't remember) is in the hands of the housekeeping staff.

If the Roll Call is still available, perhaps you could jog someone's conscience???

Out of how many pax does Cruise Critic reach? Pretty small number actually. You got taken by a thief pure & simple. I'd still try & get Princess to review the security footage. Even if they can't return the items, they certainly can notify the thief that they were "spotted" on security & will be banned by the cruise line. Should that person complain, I'm sure a review of the security footage would quickly silence them!

I hope you get it back. We once left a boutique shopping bag at the Piazza. The cleaners found it and we were lucky to have gotten it back at the PSD.

A cruise ship is nothing more than a floating city. Your stuff if left out in the open and vulnerable, it's more than likely it will disappear. That's one reason why we don't set out luggage the night before debarkation. I don't trust anyone - not even crew members. It's doubtful the OP will see their stuff again We live in an immoral world.

Generally speaking what you say is true. We were on this cruise and left our coffee card at the International Cafe' I assumed it was lost but my wife wrote our stateroom number on the card. We found it on the little tray outside the bathroom that night so someone on the Princess staff played it straight.

BTW, we do like you do; we carry everything on and off ourselves. Whether it's a 4 day Coastal Cruise or a 14 day trans-Canal, we've lesarned that we can pack everything we need in carry-on, now that we don't have formal nights on either Princess or HAL, our primary cruise lines.

Edited by Host Walt

We traveled on the Ruby Princess on September 30-October 4, 2016. It was a great first time cruise experience. However another passenger picked up one of our souvenir bags from the security screening area as it was coming out of the x-ray machine's conveyor belt, when we were returning to the ship in Ensenada on Monday, 10/3/16. It was a black plastic bag with souvenir t-shirts, a woodcarving, etc. some of these items purchased by my 5 year old with his own money. I hope it was an honest mistake and the people who took it will try to return it to us as soon as they realize it's not theirs. We checked with lost and found several times on the ship, up until right before we disembarked, but no one turned it in on the ship. I also contacted Princess Cruises corporate lost and found dept..

Sorry this happened. Maybe the person did not look in the bag, just packed it along with other items....but to prevent... I usually take an unusally colored or designed shopping bag and put everything in it before it goes through the scanner... I do the same thing at the airport.

We long time cruisers... have lost sunglasses and a few things over the years... most people are honest, I hope you continue to cruise.

Oh that's too bad you "lost" your things. I'm so sorry and I can empathize. I lost a favorite shirt in the laundry room on a recent cruise and despite numerous trips to lost and found, I never got it back. Another passenger said she "lost" a dress and saw a passenger actually wearing it on board. Go figure.

Tour people always say your items are safe if you leave them. I have a small backpack I take ashore with me and I take it with me when I am off the bus as well. I'd rather not lose my stuff and I find there are just too many sleazeballs in the world who will gladly steal.

Oh that's too bad you "lost" your things. I'm so sorry and I can empathize. I lost a favorite shirt in the laundry room on a recent cruise and despite numerous trips to lost and found, I never got it back. Another passenger said she "lost" a dress and saw a passenger actually wearing it on board. Go figure.

Another candidate for stupid criminals.

I left behind 5 pairs of shoes once on a cruise in a obscure drawer. Never got those back. Stuff happens. :mad: We'll be there in a few months if you'd like us to get what you want?

Otherwise, I guess it's a good learning moment for your son. He'll probably never take someone's stuff because he knows what it feels like when it happens.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I hope you get your things back. =(

Hopefully it really was just an honest mistake.

It sucks when those things happen because really, even if you are super prepared, we are all human and just get trusting of other people sometimes.

Thank you for the reminder. I need to figure out how to take stuff on our excursions so that it's always with me, but not somewhere someone can just walk off with either.

I was waffling on renting a locker at one of the islands, which still seems possibly sketchy, but I will definitely make sure we do that, and keep my ID and such on my person at all times just to make sure it stays safe.

14 minutes after your first post and you let us know you're still waiting? I think it might take a little longer than 14 minutes to get the conversation going...

The OP is new to cruise critic, I don't believe they thought someone would answer their question that fast. I would guess they did not know they could edit their first post to add their extra info or the time limit had gone by to edit the first post..

Way to be helpful Elitein85days....

I would prefer not to hand my luggage over at the dock on embarkation. Have had lost luggage in the past. Is there a limit on size of luggage that I can carry on myself?

Has to fit through scanner. The scanners are 'carry on' luggage size.

Answer is correct for most ports, but there are some ports where they insist regular size luggage that could fit through the scanner must be checked anyway.

Answer is correct for most ports, but there are some ports where they insist regular size luggage that could fit through the scanner must be checked anyway.

Typically the opening will handle a container 16 x 24x any length. Any suitcase you can buy at Walmart will work.