Emotional Support Animals

johhnnyt

Was glad to see this. I'm sure there are people with genuine needs, but the last few years its been getting out of hand with people just bringing pets onboard, since nowadays you can get any pet a certificate making them an "emotional support animal" for $60. It's just not fair to the other passengers onboard

There should be room for exceptions though for people with genuine documented issues. Another case of people exploiting the open definitions for convenience, not need.

I agree with airlines (and hopefully cruiseships will follow)

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/emotional-support-animals-might-be-getting-kicked-off-flights-thanks-to-snakes-and-llamas-215404101.html

Was glad to see this. I'm sure there are people with genuine needs, but the last few years its been getting out of hand with people just bringing pets onboard, since nowadays you can get any pet a certificate making them an "emotional support animal" for $60. It's just not fair to the other passengers onboard

There should be room for exceptions though for people with genuine documented issues. Another case of people exploiting the open definitions for convenience, not need.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/emotional-support-animals-might-be-getting-kicked-off-flights-thanks-to-snakes-and-llamas-215404101.html

Here is an excellent thread which has examples of abuse and also discusses the law and its ramifications.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031702&highlight=service+dogs

Emotional Support dogs are not considered Service dogs.

Edited by dkjretired

Here is an excellent thread which has examples of abuse and also discusses the law and its ramifications.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031702&highlight=service+dogs

Thanks

I do hope they tighten up the rules a bit. I was on a flight a few months back where someone with a emotional support pet was giving a kid two rows back some serious reaction to the dogs hair , I felt so bad for the kid.

I wish I could bring my dogs on flights, but in a closed environment of an aircraft, or a limited area on a ship, it should only be allowed if medically necessary

Thanks

I do hope they tighten up the rules a bit. I was on a flight a few months back where someone with a emotional support pet was giving a kid two rows back some serious reaction to the dogs hair , I felt so bad for the kid.

I wish I could bring my dogs on flights, but in a closed environment of an aircraft, or a limited area on a ship, it should only be allowed if medically necessary

Below is a short synopsis of the law under the ADA which the cruise lines follow. It actually covers the situation you mentioned and guess what, the kid loses according to the Federal Law.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Below is a short synopsis of the law under the ADA which the cruise lines follow. It actually covers the situation you mentioned and guess what, the kid loses according to the Federal Law.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

No, emotional support animals are clearly NOT included. " Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

No, emotional support animals are clearly NOT included. " Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

I stated that in post two, I was referring to the section of the ADA concerning allergies and fear of dogs.

The animals don't bother me as much as the owners that abuse the system. I think it is despicable frankly! I get they love their pet. But money says these very same people park in handicap parking places and feel entitled.

These service dogs have a very real purpose for very real needs and shame on people that abuse that!

I do volunteer work at a National Conservation Center. You would be amazed at how many people own Emotional Service Chihuahuas. I am going to get an emotional support lion and train to eat Emotional Service Chihuahuas. The support that it will give me is to see the chihuahuas eaten in one gulp.

DON

My daughter has an "emotional support" Pit Bull. It was the only way she could have a dog at her apartment complex. The complex was "dog-free" - but I saw many dogs every time I visited. Apparently, it has become a way to beat the system.

I think it's ridiculous! She's the most emotionally stable person I've ever met! But no apartments would take pit bulls, so I understand why she did. Still...

(BTW, all you need to qualify is a letter from a Dr. and a small fee.)

My daughter has an "emotional support" Pit Bull. It was the only way she could have a dog at her apartment complex. The complex was "dog-free" - but I saw many dogs every time I visited. Apparently, it has become a way to beat the system.

I think it's ridiculous! She's the most emotionally stable person I've ever met! But no apartments would take pit bulls, so I understand why she did. Still...

(BTW, all you need to qualify is a letter from a Dr. and a small fee.)

Apparently the apartment complex owner does not know the law or chose not to enforce it.. Emotional Support dogs do not qualify under the ADA law, you don't even need a letter from the Doctor. The letters and fee are for any of a number of companies out to make money with no legal standing.

Edited by dkjretired