Inaugural Sailing

For whatever reason I have decided it would be great to be on an inaugural sailing. So my plan is to book when Oasis 4 releases. My question is do they immediately name a sailing as inaugural? Or which sailing normally becomes the inaugural? Should I book a couple of the first sailings with plans to cancel one after they decide the inaugural?

I realize no-one has a crystal ball - but anything that improves my odds would be helpful.

I would never do an inaugural cruise.

Or sail on a new ship the first 4 months.

It takes quite a few voyages to work out all the kinks, training, and finishing touch-ups.

Go back and read some early reviews of some of the ships...

It takes quite a few voyages to work out all the kinks, training, and finishing touch-ups.

Agreed. I'd give it at least 6 months.

I was on the 2nd sailing on the Oasis back when she first arrived and I had a wonderful time. There were no obvious issues that I ran across at all. I think the schedule as it was when bookings first opened stayed that way, but don't hold me to it. I can't exactly remember now. If it did move, it only did so by a week. The first couple of sailings are usually short TA/special guest cruises with the official inaugural being the first full sailing with passengers.

I say go for it. Go with an open mind...without looking for things that may be less than satisfactory and I'm sure you will enjoy it. After all, you're on a cruise!

My question is do they immediately name a sailing as inaugural? Or which sailing normally becomes the inaugural?

I depends on how the term "inaugural" is used. One might think the very first sailing with passengers is the inaugural cruise. But often those are 1 to 3 night invitation only cruises to nowhere, for high value customers, travel agents etc. Technically the first would be the inaugural cruise but the cruise line might not bill it as such. For instance, when Oasis was launched, she sailed from the shipyard in Europe without passengers. Then she did a couple of the aforementioned short cruises. The first 7 day cruise is the one the cruise line billed and promoted as the official inaugural cruise and I went on that one. The atmosphere was very festive, plus it was December so she was decked our for Christmas which added to the festive atmosphere. Lots of goodies were left in our cabin each night. We did the Allure "inaugural" the following year and it was similar but fewer goodies.

It really varies. As mentioned above I was on the first 7 night cruise on Oasis, the one Royal billed as the inaugural. If there were any kinks being worked out, it sure wasn't obvious. We were prepared for them, but never saw evidence of any. All venues were open, if any finishing touch-ups were being done it wasn't obvious, and the service was superb. It really seemed like Royal had culled the cream of the crop to staff it. We experienced the same on the Allure inaugural the next year.

I was on the Serenade back in 2003 for its first Revenue cruise which was a charter booked by National Leisure Group (Vacation Outlet). Before that was the same three night cruise to Halifax NS which was a invitation only cruise.

The staff, ship and everything else was incredible. It was our first cruise, and got us hooked on cruising.

good points. I have read many stories about things still being worked on the first few cruises. I can wait for a while until they get the bugs out

I depends on how the term "inaugural" is used. One might think the very first sailing with passengers is the inaugural cruise. But often those are 1 to 3 night invitation only cruises to nowhere, for high value customers, travel agents etc. Technically the first would be the inaugural cruise but the cruise line might not bill it as such. For instance, when Oasis was launched, she sailed from the shipyard in Europe without passengers. Then she did a couple of the aforementioned short cruises. The first 7 day cruise is the one the cruise line billed and promoted as the official inaugural cruise and I went on that one. The atmosphere was very festive, plus it was December so she was decked our for Christmas which added to the festive atmosphere. Lots of goodies were left in our cabin each night. We did the Allure "inaugural" the following year and it was similar but fewer goodies.

This is what I want.

I am one of those people just thrilled to be on a cruise. I make the best of every vacation and don't look for things that are wrong. Even when annoyances come up, I quickly get over them and continue my cruise with joy. Given that, I think I would enjoy an inaugural sailing very much.

good points. I have read many stories about things still being worked on the first few cruises. I can wait for a while until they get the bugs out

I think the biggest issue that still sticks with people is when they launched the quantum class ships which have a lot of technology features that just didn't work quite right for a while which frustrated a lot of the early cruisers. I haven't read the reviews for a while, but initially the ratings were about 48-50% satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Serenade back in 2003 for its first Revenue cruise which was a charter booked by National Leisure Group (Vacation Outlet). Before that was the same three night cruise to Halifax NS which was a invitation only cruise.

The staff, ship and everything else was incredible. It was our first cruise, and got us hooked on cruising.

I believe we were on that one too, it left from NYC, if I remember correctly and it was a fine cruise.

PS We are 32 and zero upgrades.

I believe we were on that one too, it left from NYC, if I remember correctly and it was a fine cruise.

PS We are 32 and zero upgrades.

This one left from Boston on Aug 18, 2003

There was a medical emergency and we had to go directly towards Boston so that a passenger who was sick could be airlifted off the ship. We did 28 knots due west towards Boston. The Captain thanked all the crew for 'getting his 28 knots' that day. Then since it was a new ship we did a lot of crazy turns and figure eights, etc. Nothing that caused any tipping or the like, but changing direction constantly for example.

As to upgrades, everytime I see an 'upgrade fairy' thread, I do not believe them. She does not exist.

Edited by reedl

I think the biggest issue that still sticks with people is when they launched the quantum class ships which have a lot of technology features that just didn't work quite right for a while which frustrated a lot of the early cruisers. I haven't read the reviews for a while, but initially the ratings were about 48-50% satisfaction.

They have not improved since.

Did you miss the chatter about those early Harmony cruises out of Southampton. 😱😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I have been on the inaugural or maiden voyages of Oasis, Allure, Quantum and Harmony. A maiden voyage is one that occurs prior to the official naming ceremony and revenue generating. The Oasis was amazing, Allure excellent, Quantum...well...Quantum failure comes to mind which actually paid for Harmony. Harmony was very good though not devoid of issues.

On Oasis and Allure every night in the cabin passengers received a gift of some sort. There were beach towels, cookbooks that you could get signed by the author, shirts, photo albums, books and the like. My suitcase was absolutely full of these gifts. It really made it special. There were a couple of things on Quantum and Harmony but nothing notable.

There is something a little special about a new ship. Despite the issues with Quantum, I will continue to consider inaugurals in the future.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Even some repositioning cruises are a mess.

When the NCL Star first arrived in NOL a few years back the ramp was unable to reach the right deck to get the passengers off and on in a timely manner.

It was pretty much a mess.

Also I think the Navigator had the same sort of issues when it came to Galveston a few 2013.

We've done most "inaugural" sailings out of Port Everglades on Royal. Technically you can say the true inaugural is the one out of Europe. But they also call the first couple out of the home port as well.

But for someone who's done both Oasis and Allure, Royal actually advertises it as inaugural "season". Meaning all the C&A sale items with the ships name, has an engraving that says inaugural season on it. I think they do this for a year.

We also try and sail other brand new ships sailing out of PEV or Miami so long as its under 4 or 5 nights. The most freebies we've ever seen were on the Allure but nothing since. We purchased the Harmony as soon as it became available and prices have surpassed double the price. So I suggest buy when you can.

I've heard on the sailing out of Europe, work is still being done as it crosses the Atlantic. Everytime we've gotten on in So. Florida, the ships are done.

Edited by Trekker954

I don't think I caught those, what happened on that one?

Lots of issues, you should try and find it.

Aqua Theater not working

Several other venues and shops closed

slides not operating

Missing safety rails :eek:

I think they even ran out of some food items.

Lots of bad press in the British papers

Oh, and it was cold and rainy. :rolleyes:

Edited by John&LaLa