New, new Oasis menus. October 2016 changes.

Looks like I'm in the minority. I don't find anything wrong with the new menus. At least a few things if not all of them I would eat.

I really want to know what you eat at home on a regular basis. Do you dine at Ruth Chris, Pappas Steakhouse, Mortons Steakhouse, The Keg, Maggianos. Sullivan's, Silver Fox, Abacus, Nick & Sams every night?

And I understand the quality isn't even what it was when I started cruising 16 years ago. But come on folks really?

I might go to one of the aforementioned restaurants once a week. Other than that I'm at home cooking. Last night baked flounder and carrots. Night before Fadis this Mediterranean joint.

Ok. Let's talk about breakfast. Maybe they should limit the options each day. Sunday only oatmeal and all the fixings. Monday omelet day. Tuesday pancakes and waffles with sausage. Wednesday corn beef hash and fruit. Thursday lox n bagels and all the trimmings. Friday biscuits and gravy. Saturday breakfast tacos n breakfast potatoes. They put everything out and let you decide what you want to eat each day. I want to know what else would you like for them to serve for breakfast? OMG they offer a plethora of selections. And here again what do you eat every day at home for breakfast ?

And the same goes for lunch. Plenty of options and variety. What else do you want them to serve. At home I usually grab a salad for lunch at our salad bar at work. What do you normally eat for lunch and what are you expecting to eat on Oasis for lunch?

Im just baffled by the complaints about RCCLs food selections. Im not fussing. Im just trying to get a better understanding of what would you like them to serve in addition to what they already serve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This comment cracks me up!! The new dinner menu options are horrible to even a regular home cooking person! It is not a good thing when my home cooking is better than when I am on vacation, supposedly being pampered.

Ohh bummer,

I see that they are only offering the shrimp cocktails 4 out

of the 7 nights. We always look forward to that.

It used to be all 7 night. Those menus sure look very skimpy,

but prices continue to go up on cruises. Hummm, very disappointed.

Thanks for posting.

Looks like I'm in the minority. I don't find anything wrong with the new menus. At least a few things if not all of them I would eat.

I really want to know what you eat at home on a regular basis. Do you dine at Ruth Chris, Pappas Steakhouse, Mortons Steakhouse, The Keg, Maggianos. Sullivan's, Silver Fox, Abacus, Nick & Sams every night?

And I understand the quality isn't even what it was when I started cruising 16 years ago. But come on folks really?

I might go to one of the aforementioned restaurants once a week. Other than that I'm at home cooking. Last night baked flounder and carrots. Night before Fadis this Mediterranean joint.

Ok. Let's talk about breakfast. Maybe they should limit the options each day. Sunday only oatmeal and all the fixings. Monday omelet day. Tuesday pancakes and waffles with sausage. Wednesday corn beef hash and fruit. Thursday lox n bagels and all the trimmings. Friday biscuits and gravy. Saturday breakfast tacos n breakfast potatoes. They put everything out and let you decide what you want to eat each day. I want to know what else would you like for them to serve for breakfast? OMG they offer a plethora of selections. And here again what do you eat every day at home for breakfast ?

And the same goes for lunch. Plenty of options and variety. What else do you want them to serve. At home I usually grab a salad for lunch at our salad bar at work. What do you normally eat for lunch and what are you expecting to eat on Oasis for lunch?

Im just baffled by the complaints about RCCLs food selections. Im not fussing. Im just trying to get a better understanding of what would you like them to serve in addition to what they already serve.

I tend to agree, although the "old" new menus were better than the "new" new menus. Different stokes for different folks, but if I don't have to plan, buy, cook, and clean up, that sounds like a vacation. I certainly think that the cruise lines are pushing you towards the specialty venues, but I'm just not paying an additional $25-$45 pp/per night. When it gets so bad that I fell like I have to do the specialty venues every night, that will be the time to find another vacation option. Many folks also like the WJ for dinner. That's great too, but not for me. I am not interested in serving myself on a tray. Bad enough we go to the WJ for breakfast a few times a week.

mac_tlc

It is my experience that all of the moderate priced lines (CCL, RCCL, HAL etc) are reducing the quality of the food rather than increasing the price of the cruise. We're paying less now than we did 10 years ago (without factoring in inflation) but the food and service 10 years ago was far superior. I cruise in the Caribbean to relax. We cruise every December as I finish up a hectic season at work. We cruise in Europe/Asia to explore. If I'm not shopping, cooking or cleaning up, I'll always find something that I enjoy eating!

I tend to agree, although the "old" new menus were better than the "new" new menus. Different stokes for different folks, but if I don't have to plan, buy, cook, and clean up, that sounds like a vacation. I certainly think that the cruise lines are pushing you towards the specialty venues, but I'm just not paying an additional $25-$45 pp/per night. When it gets so bad that I fell like I have to do the specialty venues every night, that will be the time to find another vacation option. Many folks also like the WJ for dinner. That's great too, but not for me. I am not interested in serving myself on a tray. Bad enough we go to the WJ for breakfast a few times a week.

mac_tlc

When did WJ get trays? Great idea

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

To be fair, we don't eat at places like the restaurants you mentioned when at home.

However, I don't shell out 1,000's of dollars on a vacation to eat the same stuff I normally do at home either... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must concur. When the "old" new menus appeared on CruiseCritic in a thread a few months back, I was excited to see the menus changing after three years. After looking them over, I was even more excited to see two or three appealing items (at least to me) on each cruise night menu. I must say that the menus just posted at the start of this thread are disappointing. Yes, there is one item on each menu that I will be happy to try. Many of the items that sounded great are now gone from the menus posted here. Disappointing.

Hopefully, RCCL will try these out for another month or two and re-evaluate comments one more time before putting these menus out fleet wide.

A voice of reason! It's a tough crowd.

Trays??!! Never saw them in the WJ either. Would probably really take up a lot

of room in wait staff storage and clutter.

No trays in WJ, I was being sarcastic. :eek:

I have seen folks use the tray from room service. also the plate covers. ;)

I don't know. They still show up fine from what I can see. Turn off ad blockers maybe?

No Ad blockers that I am aware of (I still see plenty of ads!) - even switched locations and computers (I work between two offices that are about 6 miles apart, I posted just before I had to leave one to go to the other) and I see the same black box with an x in it.

We are sailing in 23 days (!!) and I had seen menus from September 14 on a cruising blog - I was wondering if the ones you posted showed even more changes.

Edited by RedJessi

My fingers are crossed that this is a test, and that poor reception of the "new" new menus will make Royal go back to the "old" new menus. lol.

I'm on the first or second sailing out of PC and will hope that Royal goes back to the first set of new menus.

I don't cruise for the food per se, but I expect a decent variety, not just a modified version of the same menu each night. I think we can all agree that most land-based restaurants offer better food quality, but that really isn't the point. The overall food quality in the included fare goes to overall experience of the cruise.

No trays in WJ, I was being sarcastic. :eek:

I have seen folks use the tray from room service. also the plate covers. ;)

Yeah, you got me this time. :D

Funny...never thought of that. Seems a bit overkill to me to bring the trays

and covers with them up to the WJ? Maybe they were practicing in hopes of

hiring on as new room service waiters. :p :p

My fingers are crossed that this is a test, and that poor reception of the "new" new menus will make Royal go back to the "old" new menus. lol.

I'm on the first or second sailing out of PC and will hope that Royal goes back to the first set of new menus.

I don't cruise for the food per se, but I expect a decent variety, not just a modified version of the same menu each night. I think we can all agree that most land-based restaurants offer better food quality, but that really isn't the point. The overall food quality in the included fare goes to overall experience of the cruise.

I'm going to be on the same cruise you will (the second for Oasis out of PC, on Nov 13) and I don't expect they will change the menus again before then. What UCF_Knight posted is what we are going to get (and will probably be what everyone for the next 90 to 180 days will get. Big companies don't move swiftly when it comes to implementing changes or even correcting course). If its the same as what I saw posted on a blog from September, than I can live with it. If it's even further paired down.....I will be disappointed.

No Ad blockers that I am aware of (I still see plenty of ads!) - even switched locations and computers (I work between two offices that are about 6 miles apart, I posted just before I had to leave one to go to the other) and I see the same black box with an x in it.

We are sailing in 23 days (!!) and I had seen menus from September 14 on a cruising blog - I was wondering if the ones you posted showed even more changes.

If you are on a corporate network they are likely blocking the site where I put the images.

Try accessing on your phone.

If you are on a corporate network they are likely blocking the site where I put the images.

Try accessing on your phone.

Ha! DUH - I can't believe I didn't even think of that. LOL That solved it!

And those are the menus from the blog I found a couple of weeks ago - I can see something I will happily order most every night (though it may be from the "Classics" section), so that's good.

I understand why people are disappointed, of course. But as a full time working wife and mother who cooks full dinners with fresh ingrediants almost everynight of the week (I didn't cook last night because I've caught a head cold and the idea of standing over a stove was a definite NO GO!)- I'm perfectly fine with this selection! A whole week where I am not GOGOGOING from 6am until 9pm and don't have to worry about menu planning, time management, trying to get a healthy and yummy meal prepped and cooked and on the table by 6:30 so our toddler can eat with us and still have time for bath before bed at 8pm, where I don't have to rush about and get all the grocery shopping done before Sunday? YES PLEASE!

Personally, I'm not liking the change. Hopefully this isn't going fleetwide but I suspect it is.

They've also noticeably shrunk and combined the appetizer/salad offerings. To my mind this is a conscious effort to make the MDR experience a 3 course meal instead of a 4 course meal. We always enjoyed starting with a salad then an appetizer followed by a main course and dessert. This new menu definitely discourages that. :(

Personally, I'm not liking the change. Hopefully this isn't going fleetwide but I suspect it is.

They've also noticeably shrunk and combined the appetizer/salad offerings. To my mind this is a conscious effort to make the MDR experience a 3 course meal instead of a 4 course meal. We always enjoyed starting with a salad then an appetizer followed by a main course and dessert. This new menu definitely discourages that. :(

I see 4 courses every night. Just choose something from classic side under the apps. ;)