NCL Jewel - What is it really like?

nanourw

Hello,

We are looking at the French Polynesia & South Pacific cruise with NCL in October 2017.

Having read loads of comments on various sites we are having second doubts :(

It seems it is old decor, looks outdated and the food isn't great, poor service from the crew - What is it REALLY like please?

This trip is to be special as it is our 20th anniversary, we have sailed with Celebrity on the Eclipse previously and would like the same standards.

We've been on the Jewel a few times.....nothing wrong with the ship.....definitely a classic....and NOT outdated by any stretch of the imagination.

Always had a great time......no crew issues that I recall. Likewise with

the food.

We would cruise on the Jewel again in a heartbeat.

Btw, I am NO cheerleader for NCL......Even though I have exchanged pleasantries a couple of times with FDR onboard (while he was with his entourage doing corporate inspections/visits.....I do not care much for him or what he has done to NCL's image.

Now Andy Stewart is a different man altogether. The gentleman is a class act.

Thanks,

Fred

I just came home from a Mexican Rivera cruise and LOVED IT in spite some mechanical problems. Staff is fabulous from the Captain down to the wait staff.

She is an easy ship to find your way around. Clean and comfortable cabin.

I have several more cruises currently booked on Her including from Vancouver, British Columbia to Honolulu.

I am very proud to say that I am Norwegian cheerleader, loyalist and stockholder. Mr. Andy Stuart and Mr. Del Rio are very interesting gentlemen.

I am recently off the Jewel in Alaska and was also on the Jewel in 2013. I really love that ship and her sister ship the Pearl. The Jewel is just the right size for me. The crew on the Jewel appear to be very happy which creates a very happy and friendly environment. Every time you pass any crew member you get a "good morning", "enjoy your day", etc. This makes for a very pleasant cruise.

My only complaint is the menus but that is fleet wide so not a negative for the Jewel. Go and enjoy yourself.

Great to hear all your positive comments. We are a family of 4 booked next year on an Australian and New Zealand cruise. We are all very excited. I have been reading a lot of negative reports recently which has made me very concerned so all your favourable comments are wonderful to read!

Was the food good? We haven't got the speciality dining package.

Our son will be 12 and he enjoys all the activities on the ship. Did you find these to be good?:)

Many thanks

Hello,

We are looking at the French Polynesia & South Pacific cruise with NCL in October 2017.

It seems it is old decor, looks outdated and the food isn't great, poor service from the crew - What is it REALLY like please?

This trip is to be special as it is our 20th anniversary, we have sailed with Celebrity on the Eclipse previously and would like the same standards.

If you are going there I'd highly suggest you go on Paul Gauguin. Ship only has roughly 300 people, two small private islands, great experience and once you factor in the included air, included tips, and included drinks it actually is comparable to other lines.

For us, two older persons, no kids with us, it's the perfect size ship, wonderful crew, food just fine for our tastes. However, it is not one of those mega sized ships and does not have all those additional activities for kids or the many additional choices for adults. So, only you will know...after cruising on her.

If you are going there I'd highly suggest you go on Paul Gauguin. Ship only has roughly 300 people, two small private islands, great experience and once you factor in the included air, included tips, and included drinks it actually is comparable to other lines.

Dexddd and I have had this conversation before;). I would love to do a PG cruise someday, but I can do 29 days from Honolulu to Sydney on the Jewel for less than I could do 7 days on PG. 29 days in Polynesia and the South Pacific with 17 port stops trumps 7 on the PG hands down.

Never been on the Jewel, but we know the NCL product well. Love two features of this ship which will be perfect for this cruise, the open air aft facing Great Outdoors area, and the large windowed forward facing observation lounge which has sadly been removed from many of the ships.

Great to hear all your positive comments. We are a family of 4 booked next year on an Australian and New Zealand cruise. We are all very excited. I have been reading a lot of negative reports recently which has made me very concerned so all your favourable comments are wonderful to read!

Our son will be 12 and he enjoys all the activities on the ship. Did you find these to be good?:)

Many thanks

Same here, having read so many negative comments we were getting quite worried.

Nice to read some positive ones

Many thanks

Thank you, had been thinking about them too and Oceania but was stopped by the price! Might try to get all the costs together and compare them

Dexddd and I have had this conversation before;). I would love to do a PG cruise someday, but I can do 29 days from Honolulu to Sydney on the Jewel for less than I could do 7 days on PG. 29 days in Polynesia and the South Pacific with 17 port stops trumps 7 on the PG hands down.

Never been on the Jewel, but we know the NCL product well. Love two features of this ship which will be perfect for this cruise, the open air aft facing Great Outdoors area, and the large windowed forward facing observation lounge which has sadly been removed from many of the ships.

29 sounds heaven :)

Forward facing observation lounge? Which deck is this on? We are sailing on the Jewel next month and it will be our first NCL cruise. I would really like to spend some time in this lounge!

I've sailed the Jewel on many cruises. It is a solid cruise ship and the crew was always good when we have been on her. The ship is the highest rated NCL vessel according to the member reviews here on Cruise critic and I would personally agree with that assessment.

NCL in general isn't very well reviewed compared to other cruise lines in it's category. Only Carnival rates lower. My opinion- if you can find a Celebrity or Princess cruise with a similar itinerary, they are better lines in almost every category except entertainment. Of course this is in my opinion. Read the member reviews, they tell the tale about the ships over the years.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

Edited by jingle5616
grammar!

We are sailing on the Jewel Oct 30/16, first time cruisers. My husband and I are travelling with our 13 year old son. I will update you after the cruise and let you know how it went.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That would be great!! We are sailing on the Jewel next month for the first time and would love to see food and drink menus if you happen to get them. Hope you have a blast! We are bringing our 13 and 16 year old daughters.

Forward facing observation lounge? Which deck is this on? We are sailing on the Jewel next month and it will be our first NCL cruise. I would really like to spend some time in this lounge!

Spinnaker Lounge is all the way to the front of the ship on Deck 13.

A lot of activities are held in Spinnaker.

Along the Deck 7 corridor are seat benches that look out past the Pormenade Deck outside and you can watch the ocean. there are also seating like this on Deck 6. Perfect place to read or people watch.

Enjoy The Jewel and all She has to offer. I just came back my 4th cruise on The Jewel and have two currently booked.

I'm so happy to see all of these positive comments about the Jewel. We are booked on her for Alaska in May. From what I've seen on you tube about the interior, that was part of the reason to book her. I like the fact that NCL has differentiated the interiors of the Jewel Class ships, rather than make them cookie cutter. I loved the Tzar Palace decor for example.

I'm so happy to see all of these positive comments about the Jewel. We are booked on her for Alaska in May. From what I've seen on you tube about the interior, that was part of the reason to book her. I like the fact that NCL has differentiated the interiors of the Jewel Class ships, rather than make them cookie cutter. I loved the Tzar Palace decor for example.

Tzar's Palace Dinning Room on The Jewel is very similar to The Summer Palace Dinning Room on The Pearl.

I will be on The Jewel on 13 May out of Seattle for an early Alaskan season cruise. There is an active Roll Call for that cruise. When is your Alaskan cruise?

Mandy

Hello,

Wife and I sailed the Jewel in early September. Service was great and so was the food. Yes the ship is older, carpet was worn in a few places around the ship but that was about it. We really like the size of the ship and her sister the Gem.

DW and I were on Jewel this past may. The only complaint that I had needs to be taken into context of when the ship was built. I found the decor to be horrible and tacky, so far the worst decor out of any ship I have sailed on. In Tzar Palace, the carpet is bright green, with burgundy backed chairs. The atrium and nightclub are just as bad. Atrium has neon and pink striped chairs, with a purple carpet

Now, this is how ships were outfitted when Jewel was new. Major lines were copying Carnival.

Since new management has taken over, one of the POSITIVES is that they are dry-docking the older ships to remove the tacky decor. Gem has already been done, and she looks amazing.

For comparison, the pics here are of Jewel and Gem. Jewel is the pic with pink chairs and purple carpet, whereas the Gem has the cruise critic logo. FWIW, I find the decor on Gem to be much more upscale.

norwegian-cruise-line-jewel-atrium.jpg.6b60e4c2b89074c66ddf9c3c8d7916ba.jpg

crystal-atrium--v10481051-cc-720.jpg.5e78dc6b4dff9303abcff602618cf012.jpg