Need some advice on passenger etiquette

My opinion, for what it is worth, is the OP has pulled most of you on with the post. Unlikely that any of it is true. Just my humble opinion.

Tend to agree there.

But in the "hypothetical"....

they all follow us up there and disturb us every two minutes and won't leave us alone.

Stalkers! :eek: At that point I'd be talking to ship security. Behavior like that would clearly be within the bounds of the cruise contract terms probably the same on all lines about not harassing fellow passengers.

While I will strike up a conversation with anyone, if they tell me they'd rather not talk now, I will accept that! So, SAY something! I can't imagine "following someone around"!!

Not too hard is it.

Re following around I doubt it would be possible to avoid someone for the week, unless you confine yourself to your cabin, like living in a small town, unless you stay in your house you will see the same people, following them or not.

Gee Ger_77 you say that like catching up on embalming techniques is a bad thing. Unless we are one mortician to another?

I'm definitely not saying catching up on embalming techniques is a bad thing, but it certainly stops conversation. How can anyone (unless they are a mortician, which I am not) carry on a conversation with someone if they don't know anything about the subject. LOL

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

... I tried hiding out on the upper deck to lay back and relax with my family and they find us and tell all the rest and they all follow us up there and disturb us every two minutes and won't leave us alone.... But the passengers won't leave us alone and I know they're doing it on purpose ...

Does this really happen? You're minding your own business on the upper deck and these people come up and say, "Yo-hoo! We found you! Let me continue what I as saying before you walked away..."? Or were you the only ones up there (in a public area of the ship) and then damn it, somebody else found this place too? And you're convinced that they are doing this to gleefully annoy you?

Something isn't quite right here. I'm also having some trouble seeing how anybody can sustain working 19 hour shifts for something other then a limited time in a bona fide emergency.

Get some counseling on how to set personal boundaries. Your mental and physical health is on the line here.

Edited by BlueRiband

My suggestion to the OP:

Have your cell phone handy and when the offender approaches pretend you are on a call and say loud enough to be heard by the offender:

"DID YOU GET RID OF THE BODY YET?" (Pause for a few seconds) "GOOD THEY WILL NEVER FIND IT THERE!" Then look up at the offender smile and say Hi!:D

Edited by Doug R.

I'm the shy one in my marriage and my hubby the friendly one, but we have never had other passengers stalking us. we might see our tablemates or others we have met around the ship but we don't find ourselves glued to them. BTW, my hubby worked at a 9-1-1 center when we first met...worked 10 days on, 4 days off every pay period but I think 8 or 9 hours at a time. Maybe the OP is working for some company that saps their employees' time (I remember the saying for the Mouse House: if you don't come in Saturday, don't bother to come in on Sunday; there are some companies like that). but otherwise, I just don't get the idea that one would constantly be in the position of having people barge in on family time if they had decent social skills.

I have taken upwards of 90 cruises, on many different lines, and I've NEVER had other passengers follow me around the ship. And I start up conversations all the time with fellow passengers, but not once have I been stalked. I'm sorry, but I doubt everything the OP has posted. And even if something like that did happen, all it would take is a couple of tersely worded comments to keep them away---something like "bug off and leave us alone" or "if you keep following us, I'm going to security and report you for harassment".

I find a lot of inconsistencies in the post. He/she sounds like a celerity or crew member, possibly entertainer who is recognizable and required to be personable when 'on duty', but occasionally sails with family aboard and then doesn't want the recognition. Maybe trying a different cruise line where he/she is not known would be better. EM

Does this really happen? You're minding your own business on the upper deck and these people come up and say, "Yo-hoo! We found you! Let me continue what I as saying before you walked away..."? Or were you the only ones up there (in a public area of the ship) and then damn it, somebody else found this place too? And you're convinced that they are doing this to gleefully annoy you?

Something isn't quite right here. I'm also having some trouble seeing how anybody can sustain working 19 hour shifts for something other then a limited time in a bona fide emergency.

Get some counseling on how to set personal boundaries. Your mental and physical health is on the line here.

I think you have it pegged - there is too much which is not credible for the rant to be taken seriously.

Thank you to those who actually sought out to offer me good advice for my cruising habits, I will try all these it's very much appreciated, I will try this I just don't seem to understand why they are doing it in the first place, but maybe as stated don't speak to people in the first place is a good law to continue my journeys with, but I hate being rude to people so I will try a gentle nod.

For those who accused my post of trolling, etc a 8 day week is an overtime week, for those of little minds the average working time is a 9-5pm day, I work over that time because I'm a doctor, if you are unaware that doctors and nurses are over worked and no the union doesn't care because we are constantly understaffed. So please be more considerate when someone asks for help, accusing others is out right rude.

Thank you for your help and assistance cruise lovers.

As previously stated, make sure you have a private table at dinner and go straight to the dining room and make sure the location is private. we have changed tables when we sit too close to others. I am allergic to perfume and if someone sitting next to me takes a bath in it I can get an asthma attack. Never understand why people use it.

in addition, do not initiate conversations or respond to others talking, except with a polite nod. We never had a problem except once on Princess when our table for two was inches away from the table next to us, and the couple next to us couldn't stop talking. We changed tables after two days.

In all my cruises (16, I think) I've never had anything like this happen and I'm a friendly person. I usually travel solo these days and have noticed more people strike up conversations with me since I'm alone, but they don't follow me around the ship! Only once has someone searched for me on a cruise, and it was a rather socially awkward couple that had no boundaries. It took being almost rude during encounters to get them to leave me alone (and there were others they did this to, too). The vast majority of people can tell when you don't want to talk to them and act accordingly.

I have to agree with those who said it's something the OP is doing if there's truth in these statements. Though the reference to an 8-day week and working 19 hours a day make me doubt the veracity of the post.

Thank you to those who actually sought out to offer me good advice for my cruising habits, I will try all these it's very much appreciated, I will try this I just don't seem to understand why they are doing it in the first place, but maybe as stated don't speak to people in the first place is a good law to continue my journeys with, but I hate being rude to people so I will try a gentle nod.

For those who accused my post of trolling, etc a 8 day week is an overtime week, for those of little minds the average working time is a 9-5pm day, I work over that time because I'm a doctor, if you are unaware that doctors and nurses are over worked and no the union doesn't care because we are constantly understaffed. So please be more considerate when someone asks for help, accusing others is out right rude.

I hope your next cruise goes better. But you were the one who told us that you worked 19 hour shifts. And that passengers came up every two minutes with the intent to purpously bother you.:confused:

I like to talk to people on cruises, but I have never had anyone follow me around or intrude in my space. If I see our table mates in passing we usually exchange greetings and keep going. I guess if someone got clingy I would probably say something like, "Can we talk later? I need to ___ right now."

I agree with lots of the other suggestions made but would also add that if you tell people you are a doctor, that maybe part of the problem. There is nothing people like more than chatting about third ailments or getting some free medical advice! Maybe that's why they are so keen to befriend you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with lots of the other suggestions made but would also add that if you tell people you are a doctor, that maybe part of the problem. There is nothing people like more than chatting about third ailments or getting some free medical advice! Maybe that's why they are so keen to befriend you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get that the OP wants to relax and not be bothered by anyone. What I don't get is the OP saying people are following them around etc. In all my cruises I have never encountered anything like what the OP says and I would venture to guess that most people haven't either.

The only thing that makes sense is if the OP is telling others they are a doctor. The easy solution to the OP's problem is to avoid saying they are a doctor. My DH is in a profession that people also want free advice, among other things, but he never tells.;):)

Kinda rude of people on this post to say he is lying about his work hours. There are people in a lot of professions who have stints of work that will result in these types of hours. MY minimum work hours are 12 hours a day 7 days a week all the time. BUT I do work a month on and a month on. But I have in the past had longer and harder hours and 19 was not out of the question. For those who don't know there is no law to protect the number of ours a non-hourly employee can be made to work.

Still I do think that he is making too much of this as it is very unlikely that he will find another cruiser like the "one" he mentioned, and if he really has been followed several times like this consider that there is a common denominator here(the OP). Find it hard to believe happens "often". BUT if he would just arrange the family chairs to block anyone joining in, and if that don't work, a simple, "this is my family's time, please leave" and if he they don't leave an assertive "NOW" would surely work.

Secondly if you don't want attention don't initiate attention.

My father was a doctor and whenever he would call a restaurant for reservations, he wouldn't put use his title, just his name. If he happened to be on call, he would tell the counterperson (we usually didn't go to restaurants fancy enough to have maitre'ds) he was on call and had given out the restaurant's number if he was needed (of course this was before cell phones). He wasn't one of the more egoistic doctors but was from the old school type. One of the waitresses at one of our regular restaurants, a family type of Italian one, was a patient of his and would get us to one of her tables, calling him "doc."

On the other hand, my first post-college roomies had just gotten her PhD and whenever she would make a ressie, she would say it's for Doctor -----. I don't know if any occasion, as in a choking diner, came up to make her regret it ("that women at table 4 is a doctor...."):rolleyes:

If you are a doctor, and tell people you are a doctor, or have "Dr." on your sail and sign card, then people are probably going to ask you medical questions. If you aren't telling people you are a doctor, and they are following you to the point that you are uncomfortable, you need to say something! Surely, being a doctor, you have dealt with difficult patients and family members. If people are bothering you, it is up to YOU to speak up. Or call security if the situation is that bad.