Boring dress code question

ConnCruise

Hi everyone,

We're going on a Western Carb cruise on the New Amsterdam and I just need a little guidance on what clothes to bring for evenings on the boat. This is our 13th or 14th cruise, so we pretty much understand the drill, but have not traveled with Holland America in about 5 years and know there's been much evolution in on board dress..

Can we wear nice jeans? (Both over 60 so we don't have any other kind or could we fit into them if we did)

Do they still have formal nights and will I need a suit?

I can bring some corporate causal stuff, if necessary.

Bottom line, we don't want to stand out but love to control our luggage weight and pack light.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

No more formal nights, they are replaced with Gala Nights. Gala Nights have the same minimum requirements as other nights - Smart Casual. But on Gala Nights passengers are "encouraged" to dress more formal.

Your nice jeans will be fine for "Smart Casual" as long as you wear a decent shirt - not a T-shirt.

I used to like formal nights, but now I don't want to bother bringing the extra clothes. So, I am going to just wear a shirt and slacks every night, including Gala Night.

Just a follow up. I will not be required to wear a jacket on Gala nights, but would be in the minority if I went without one?

You know that can vary from cruise to cruise and ship to ship.

I think on a hot 7 day Caribbean you will see fewer jackets than longer cruises but it really depends upon the demographic on board. I am sure there will be "enough" without a jacket that you will be fine.

I don't normally concern myself with what others wear. Some dress down more than I and a few others may be a bit dressier. As long as I look good and feel good, it's all good :)

Edited by kazu

Just a follow up. I will not be required to wear a jacket on Gala nights, but would be in the minority if I went without one?

I actually haven't been on HAL since they changed the rules for Gala Night last year, I do have a cruise in January.

But several people have posted cruise reviews where they listed the percentage of men wearing jackets. When the rules first changed there was hardly any difference, most men wore jackets. But as time has gone by, it seems, that more and more are not wearing them.

I think it also depends on the cruise, if your in the tropics, jackets are seen less. Also longer cruises have men being more formal.

So, I think you would not be in the minority if you were casual if you are on a Caribbean cruise for less than 14 days. On other cruises, you may be a minority, but there should still be plenty of other men similarly attired that you would not feel uncomfortable.

DH wears a dress shirt, slacks and tie. You will see a bit of everything. The dress code changed quite recently, so many don't know yet.

We noticed on our last Celebrity cruise (they changed their dress code sooner than HAL did) that only a few men wore suits, and I may have seen a handful of men in tuxes. But everyone looked very nice. HAL is gradually getting there...whether people like it or not. ;)

Jacket not required but you will be in the minority. I would guess 90pct wear at least a jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We saw many variations on our last cruise for Gala night. The men at our table wore slacks and a collared shirt. No one had a jacket or tie and no one was uncomfortable. If they stuck out or were in the minority, we did'nt notice..LOL

Just back on a lovely cruise in the Med on the Saga Pearl II.

Dress Code: Casual

Ladies may wish a casual dress or trousers, while gentlemen can enjoy the freedom of an open-neck shirt and smart casual trousers (no jeans or shorts).

Dress Code: Formal

Ladies may choose to wear a formal evening or cocktail dress, while gentlemen may wear a dinner jacket or tuxedo. If preferred a dark lounge suit may be worn.

Dress Code: Informal

Ladies may wear a less formal dress or separates. Men choose from a lounge suit, sports jacket or blazer with or without a tie; or a smart closed neck, shirt and tie.

Note: Please adhere to the dress code for everyone to enjoy the evening. The dress code is applicable in all restaurants.

Well, the formal evenings are perfect. Great dinners, everything special and even the Head Waiters in tails! Dancing, cocktails, great show. We even had a Dutch captain in command, Captain Kees Spekman... ex Holland America Line from the 70s to the 90s.

Dress Code: Casual

Ladies may wish a casual dress or trousers, while gentlemen can enjoy the freedom of an open-neck shirt and smart casual trousers (no jeans or shorts).

Dress Code: Formal

Ladies may choose to wear a formal evening or cocktail dress, while gentlemen may wear a dinner jacket or tuxedo. If preferred a dark lounge suit may be worn.

This is not correct. Jeans are permited, unless they are "distressed jeans" (the ones with holes in them). And there are no formal nights.

Here is an exact quote from the HAL handbook:

CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate.* Shorts,

pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops

are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine

dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as

guests dress to impress for special events on board,

including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room.

For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are

required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy

attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all

acceptable.

Edited by Tom O.

This is not correct. Jeans are permited, unless they are "distressed jeans" (the ones with holes in them). And there are no formal nights.

Here is an exact quote from the HAL handbook:

CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate.* Shorts,

pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops

are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine

dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as

guests dress to impress for special events on board,

including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room.

For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are

required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy

attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all

acceptable.

Go back and read Topsham's ENTIRE post. He was describing formal nights on SAGA, not HAL. Saga, like Cunard, has real formal nights.

And to go back to ConnCruise's question about being in the minority without a jacket. Based on our cruises, including one in September (Canada, not the Caribbean), I'd say the 90% estimate applied to our cruise as well. I did see a few men in tuxes, but not many.

Go back and read Topsham's ENTIRE post. He was describing formal nights on SAGA, not HAL. Saga, like Cunard, has real formal nights.

And to go back to ConnCruise's question about being in the minority without a jacket. Based on our cruises, including one in September (Canada, not the Caribbean), I'd say the 90% estimate applied to our cruise as well. I did see a few men in tuxes, but not many.

Thanks for the corrction, I thought Topsham was talking about a HAL cruise, after all that is the subject of this thread. Sorry Topsham.

As for the 90% figure, I will find out how accurate that is soon on my own. I have heard from others, including some on this thread, that it is closer to 50%.

Thanks for the corrction, I thought Topsham was talking about a HAL cruise, after all that is the subject of this thread. Sorry Topsham.

QUOTE]

No problem.

Just seeing how things used to be on HAL ships.

Stephen

Thanks to all for the information. Just spoke to my significant other, and she gave me the thumbs up to leave the sports jacket hanging in the closet at home.

Kind of funny thinking back to my first cruise back in 1998.(not including daytime wear) 6 different pairs of footwear, 1 tux, 1 sport jacket, 3 pair of nice corporate causal pants, no jeans, lots of shirts. In a couple of weeks, I'll have three types of footwear, ( not including flippers for snorkeling) 2 pair of nice jeans and some nice shirts. We now take advantage of the expensive, but massively convient laundry service on the ship. Traveling light has taken some effort, but I sure do love having just one bag.

Thanks to all for the information. Just spoke to my significant other, and she gave me the thumbs up to leave the sports jacket hanging in the closet at home.

Wife and I will be ordering room service to celebrate Gala Nights on our aft wrap balcony. The dress code will be strictly enforced, ie, bathrobes.

We bring our own.

Seriously, so much drama about the MDR. What to wear. Will people think?

We just order room service. Same menu. Same choices. No drama.

Do you not like the robes HAL provides? I'm happy to use theirs. More room in the luggage for my gala night clothes. :D

Do you not like the robes HAL provides? I'm happy to use theirs. More room in the luggage for my gala night clothes. :D

Also, if you use their robes they will happily replace them with clean ones anytime during the cruise (i.e. basically free laundry service on the HAL robes).

:p

We bring our own.

Seriously, so much drama about the MDR. What to wear. Will people think?

We just order room service. Same menu. Same choices. No drama.

Hahahaha. Sounds good for you, but I'd be getting my food all over that robe.

No drama detected here, unless you have a very low drama threshold. Just practical advice.