Live from the Quest

flyers

For anyone reading who is boarding Quest this coming Friday, I can confirm that they most certainly have not run out of Chardonnay. There are two different chardonnays currently available, I tried both yesterday.

On the subject of breadsticks, I am finding them different this time to previous cruises. Not sure if less salt is being used. Whatever, I'm no longer horribly addicted to them and my waistline is thanking me for that!

The demograohic on this cruise is probably slightly older overall than usual for us. Our group is aged between middle 40s to early 50s and we are definitely amongst the youngest guests.

All very enjoyable so far, we're currently off the coast of Long Island heading into NYC. Picking up our pilot right now as I type.

I was correct in stating there was no chardonnay. I got a note from our cabin stewardess there was no more but she left a bottle of Pinot grigio. Last night

2 bottles of CK Mondavi Chardonnay were left and confirmed tonight in Colonnade the only Chardonnay is the Mondavi. I see this wine at my supermarket for $7.99 a bottle. it may seem picky to you but you are discussing quality of champagnes! Does Chardonnay quality not matter?

The other main issue is that we docked in Brooklyn requiring a long ride

into the city. When booked and plans were made all activity was based on being near Manhattan. This will be my last post re Quest. Surprised at hostility just for stating the facts and providing valuable decision

making info for others so they can make an informed decision. I only wish I had had all the facts when I booked.

I was correct in stating there was no chardonnay. I got a note from our cabin stewardess there was no more but she left a bottle of Pinot grigio. Last night

2 bottles of CK Mondavi Chardonnay were left and confirmed tonight in Colonnade the only Chardonnay is the Mondavi. I see this wine at my supermarket for $7.99 a bottle. it may seem picky to you but you are discussing quality of champagnes! Does Chardonnay quality not matter?

into the city. When booked and plans were made all activity was based on being near Manhattan. This will be my last post re Quest. Surprised at hostility just for stating the facts and providing valuable decision

making info for others so they can make an informed decision. I only wish I had had all the facts when I booked.

KKmiausa I am sorry you had a disappointing cruise as I know you were concerned about smoking prior to your cruise once you found out about it here on Cruise Critic.

Also wondering if you contacted Seabourn prior to sailing to inform them you are a pescatarian. I know in January on an Odyssey cruise a lady who did so and she had lovely meals including quite often delicious looking sashimi and sushi plates. We sat near her sometimes and at the end of her meal they would bring over the next night's menu so she could check what she was happy to eat. She didn't have to decide straight away though.

I agree it is wise for people to thoroughly research a cruise prior to booking to ensure what is important to them will be possible on the ship. Especially if planning to book during the non refundable period.

I don't think Nigella was being hostile just pointing out that she found two Chardonnays available yesterday. This can sometimes happen with different wines available depending on which restaurant you ask in. But unfortunately this information obviously wasn't passed on to you which is a shame.

Your room stewardess is not the person to be asking for wine availability. They have no idea. The staff in Seabourn Square I have found to be helpful in arranging a meeting with the Head Sommelier or Head bartender if it is imperative you have Chardonnay or other wine related questions. These two staff are best to ascertain what is available throughout the ship.

Julie

Ships that are part of Carnival Corp - and that includes Princess - dock at the Brooklyn pier that was built specifically for them several years ago. The size and demands of the QM2 was one reason.

Why did you not ask your travel agent about this matter if it was so important to you and why did you not learn from Cruisecritic and this travel agent and on board the ship how to request special meal handling and wines of the appropriate- as frantic36 has explained? A few focused questions to the appropriate people directly or via Seabourn Square Guest Services (who would identify them for you) would have made all the difference. There is still time to try and get back on track...

And back the rather permissive smoking policy, this will change effective Nov and Dec., 2016 for all Seabourn ships. It's plainly stated on Seabourn's terms online that smoking is allowed in the Observation Bar from 8:00 pm and was the subject of a year long CC thread easily retrieved at the time you were considering this cruise.

And about a Princess ship being docked and Quest tendering, well, that's how it goes sometime. Is a 15 minute tendering with virtually no queues to join the tender and leave it to a complimentary and free shuttle much of a burden compared to queuing with several hundred Princess guest on and off their ship and then repeating the procedure for their (for pay) shuttles?

Sounds as if you are happiest at Princess where most everything is already at your disposal and seems convenient (ex maybe NY docking) to you. That said, I hope that you can make something of what is left of your cruise on Quest.

Happy and healthy sailing!

A stewardess is not the person to ask about wine availability, any issues with this and your dietary requorements should be aimed at the food and beverage manager who is always very visible. If you dont let the staff know your requirements then they cannot help. As for breadsticks,yes, less salt now and no flavoured butters,which i really missed this time.

KK, sounds like you are having an awful time, like the one and only cruise i took on Oceania. Maybe stick to Princess if that ticks the boxes.

I'm a bit worried about the hotel Seabourn uses in Fort Lauderdale - the Diplomat Resort on Hollywood Beach. It's a Hilton. Recent reviews on TripAdvisor speak of terrible services and lack of amenities due to extensive, noisy and dusty renovations. I've called Seabourn to investigate and they said I could make my own hotel arrangements but they would charge me not to stay there!

Edited by Fletcher

No hostility intended by me, and I'm sorry that was how my comment came over to you. I was also just trying to state the facts.

Given that I live in the Côte de Beaune area of Burgundy, France, where some of the finest Chardonnay wines in the world are produced, I do care very much about the quality of Chardonnay and I don't like the Mondavi at all. That is why I knew there were still two different ones onboard. At least that was the situation when I posted yesterday.

The good news is that friends were told by the Head Sommelier that more wines will be available again from today,hopefully including the Petit Chablis . I know you said you won't post on the subject again but hopefully you'll still be reading here - I'll update here as soon as I can to confirm that more Chardonnay choices are available again.

Our docking in Brooklyn was discussed here at CC several weeks ago, I think it came up on a thread that you had started? Luckily, we had plenty of time to slightly alter our plans to fit the schedule.

For anyone reading who may be visiting NYC in the future with SB, docked in Brooklyn, there is a shuttle bus running every hour to Midtown. The last departure yesterday was at 12.30 am so it was easy to enjoy the evening in town with no worries about finding a taxi.

Again, I am sorry if my post came across in any way hostile to you kkmiausa.

(And thank you frantic/Julie!)

Edited by Nigella

I'm a bit worried about the hotel Seabourn uses in Fort Lauderdale - the Diplomat Resort on Hollywood Beach. It's a Hilton. Recent reviews on TripAdvisor speak of terrible services and lack of amenities due to extensive, noisy and dusty renovations. I've called Seabourn to investigate and they said I could make my own hotel arrangements but they would charge me not to stay there!

We've never used the SB (or SS) hotels and I'm not familiar with the one you mention. If you are able to change it there are a couple of possibiliites to consider. Some CC posters like the Ritz-Carlton in Fort lauderdale. I didn't enjoy our stay there and it didn't feel like the usual quality of RC hotels. It's been a few years though so it may have improved.

My favourite hotel in the whole Greater Miami/Fort L area is Acqualina Resort. Great service, very comfortable rooms - Oceanfront Suite and above. Food isnt't their strong point though ;).

Alternatively for a smaller hotel in Fort L take a look at The Pillars. Again it's been a good few years since I was there so do take a look at recent reviews.

We've never used the SB (or SS) hotels and I'm not familiar with the one you mention. If you are able to change it there are a couple of possibiliites to consider. Some CC posters like the Ritz-Carlton in Fort lauderdale. I didn't enjoy our stay there and it didn't feel like the usual quality of RC hotels. It's been a few years though so it may have improved.

My favourite hotel in the whole Greater Miami/Fort L area is Acqualina Resort. Great service, very comfortable rooms - Oceanfront Suite and above. Food isnt't their strong point though ;).

Alternatively for a smaller hotel in Fort L take a look at The Pillars. Again it's been a good few years since I was there so do take a look at recent reviews.

We like the Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, it's on Los Olas Blv, right in the middle of things, very good for people watching and convenient for the water taxis. We have also stayed at the Pillars which was lovely just a bit out of the way but right on the water.

I'm a bit worried about the hotel Seabourn uses in Fort Lauderdale - the Diplomat Resort on Hollywood Beach. It's a Hilton. Recent reviews on TripAdvisor speak of terrible services and lack of amenities due to extensive, noisy and dusty renovations. I've called Seabourn to investigate and they said I could make my own hotel arrangements but they would charge me not to stay there! by Fletcher

Stayed there last November with SB prior to cruise. Nothing special at all. Over rated.

Kind regards,

Tony

Can I ask your thoughts on Fontainebleau? I have that booked after my next Seabourn cruise, but wondering if I should change to the Acqualina? I know Fontainebleau is huge, but it is just for one night, and looked to be in a good location with lots of dining options. Apologies for being "off topic".

From a Native...if you are only staying one night and then going to the airport the next day may I suggest the Intercontinental or the Mandarin in downtown Miami. The Mandarin is great overlooking Biscayne Bay. Both of these hotels are not far from the airport.

The Fountainbleau is not that great as it was in its heyday.

Can I ask your thoughts on Fontainebleau? I have that booked after my next Seabourn cruise, but wondering if I should change to the Acqualina? I know Fontainebleau is huge, but it is just for one night, and looked to be in a good location with lots of dining options. Apologies for being "off topic".

I haven't stayed there, I had lunch there a couple of times, wasn't impressed plus heard from South Florida friends exactly what Suite Travels said, it passed it's best some years ago. Acqualina is close to Fort Lauderdale. The area it's in is relatively a quiet location, gorgeous beachfront but away from the main action of Miami Beach.

Back to topic, kkmiausa if you're still reading, new wines arrived onboard.

One is a Chablis, I tried and was not keen on it :o.

I saw one other new white wine., but not close enough to read the label

.Ask your sommelier if you can try them both to see which you prefer.

Was there a reason the Quest docked in Brooklyn and not Manhattan?

The following is from markham's post #28 on this thread:

"Ships that are part of Carnival Corp - and that includes Princess - dock at the Brooklyn pier that was built specifically for them several years ago. The size and demands of the QM2 was one reason."

The following is from markham's post #28 on this thread:

"Ships that are part of Carnival Corp - and that includes Princess - dock at the Brooklyn pier that was built specifically for them several years ago. The size and demands of the QM2 was one reason."

Actually, that's not correct. Most Carnival Corporation ships, including Holland America, Carnival, Aida, and Cunard's Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria still dock in Manhattan. It's usually just QM2 and Princess' largest ships that dock in Brooklyn. Occasionally, a few other ships (including Crystal) have docked there when Manhattan was full, but that wasn't the case yesterday.

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Roy

Seconding the Mandarin. Biscayne bay area was very nice to stay in.

Agree, it's a very nice area, convenient for the airport also.

I haven't stayed at the Mandarin but did stay at the Four Seasons in the same area for a short stay after a cruise. FS has no beach but does have a very spacious pool area. Also it's not a FS of Hong Kong or George V Paris level, but was pleasant enough for a couple of nights.

For a short stay I'd be happy to be in that area again and will certainly stay there when SB moves to the Miami cruise port instead of Port Everglades.

Appreciate your kind reply. The reason I asked the cabin stewardess about wines was because that was my in suite request. At hey did have a new Chilean Chardonnay last night which not only me but someone else at the table sampled and rejected. I am feeling better about most things today. Last night was a fun Halloween party and it was the best night of the cruise.

Onto those who said I should stick to Princess is unfair. As I stated we usually river cruise on Amawaterways and our last Baltic cruise was Oceania Marina. Also have taken several Tauck tours

I only mentioned Princess which I ONLY took because friends were going and promised us it was o.k. I was not thrilled with Princess I only saw that their itinerary for this Canada New England was superior to this one. I had compared seafood in the two specialty restaurants on to be far superior to what has been served so far. I did have a standing order request but several waiters just flat out told me I could not substitute and only after the wonderful Yelina the restaurant manager saw I was not served took care of it but by that time everyone else already had their entrees and I did not want to slow them down do ate what was on the menu.

That being said I would not book any lesser cruise line other than Oceania and certainly not Princess.. Reminding the gentleman who commented we booked a penthouse category. Money was not the object it was just expectations were high and not met. And about Brooklyn most other passengers were also very upset that the change to Brooklyn was made only during the cruise! There was no pre rubies notification.

Farewell and best wishes to this Board.

And about Brooklyn most other passengers were also very upset that the change to Brooklyn was made only during the cruise! .

Also on the Quest, have had very limited time online due to work commitment but was following this thread with interest.

Must comment about Brooklyn.

Originally this cruise was never scheduled to visit NY. Port changes were made back in April or May. A port and a sea day were dropped, NY was the replacement.

We were always going to Brooklyn terminal from when the change was made, and it was a discussion I had here at the boards in reply to a thread started by this poster in September !

So not correct to say a change was made during the cruise!

Kk.s thread is here : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400953

As for the cruise, enjoying very much. Great food, excellent crew. Very nice friendly fellow guests. Only disappointment is that I've been unable to get a Napa burger at the Patio, they run out very early in lunch service due to hugely popular!

Just a comment about the complimentary wines: often times there may be low availability at some point of a particular wine / type and they will stop offering it but usually there is a bottle or two somewhere on the ship (before anyone objects I agree that is not always the case, they do run out at some time) and if you from the start of your cruise are polite and establish a relationship with one of the bar staff, they will usually make a call to find that last bottle or 2. Or just order off the revenue list to get what you really want if you don't like the complimentary choices.

There will be times when "working" stocks of a wine get low. It is then necessary to replenish from the master stores which might take 24 hours to arrange.

I can not over emphasise the importance of talking to senior staff if you have any issues. In the case of the wine I would start with the hotel manager and see where that leads you.

One of the great things about Seabourn is how accessible senior staff are. You will see them around the ship for a casual chat or you can arrange a face to face meeting via the concierge staff in The Square.

The crew really do care and take on board your problems. In some cases there is nothing they can do but usually a work around can be found or a quiet word is whispered in the relevant ears to ensure socks are pulled up.

I have to say we are quite low maintenance cargo and our conversations tend to be words of praise but every now and again the ball gets dropped. It helps if you've done a couple of cruises and know the ropes but the great thing about somewhere like Cruise Critic is that it allows you to pool collective knowledge and get up to speed much quicker.

I do accept that many members are quite protective of Seabourn. That sense of loyalty comes from previous good experience.

Henry :)