First Christmas Cruise Essentials?

KDance

Hi!

Myself, Mum and Nan are going on our first cruise this Christmas and I really want to make a little gift package for them each filled with essentials for the cruise.

My ideas are packing items like plug adapters, walkie talkies, tea bags... that sort of thing.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best plug end to bring (us, uk etc?)

Do walkie talkies really work on board? Any recommendations on frequency?

Most importantly - I would love to hear your ideas for this gift box. I'd love to add some Christmas relevant items in too :)

- K

Edited by KDance
Forgot to say we would be on the Equinox

Hi!

Myself, Mum and Nan are going on our first cruise this Christmas and I really want to make a little gift package for them each filled with essentials for the cruise.

My ideas are packing items like plug adapters, walkie talkies, tea bags... that sort of thing.

Most importantly - I would love to hear your ideas for this gift box. I'd love to add some Christmas relevant items in too :)

- K

Never really thought about adaptors as we're from the US. Somebody else might comment on those.

I wouldn't take the walkie talkies for staying in touch onboard. I don't think they work and just taking up room in your bag. I overheard someone that was disappointed by bringing them.

Tea bags are available onboard so wouldn't take those either.

What I would take for the bag if you want something useful:

Bingo dabber if you play often

Strong magnets to hang important papers, invites, schedules on your wall

Luxious slippers

Toiletry / shoe bag to keep things organized in the bathroom or closet

Maybe some festive Christmas ornaments or scarves, lanyards

Lip balm

Travel size Purell or Clorox / lysol wipes for the room

Handmade certificate for anything from a specialty coffee or gelato to a specialty restaurant, bingo card, etc -- depending on how much you want to spend

A few wrapped snacks of favorite foods for any excursions you might go on

We pack super light so none of these are a must for us but might make for a nice gift bag since you want to do something special.

Good morning KDance and welcome to Cruise Critic. What a nice idea for a christmas cruise. My wife and I are taking our first New Years Eve cruise in December from Fort Lauderdale. We have never been cruising over Christmas.

As to the Walkie Talkies I don't believe they would be of much use on Celebrity ships. Strong magnets or magnetic chalk/note board would probably work better for keeping in touch. I suspect many persons will decorate their cabin doors with a Christmas theme. Magnetic stick on characters, small wreath, a red bow, etc. You might also consider some holly or other decorative material to go around your balcony door or porthole depending on your room. I would stay away from any lights that you have to plug in. Security at the port may not like that idea and plugs are at a premium in the cabin.

Another small gift you might like to include are earplugs/masks for sleeping on plane or ship, spa or specialty dinner certificates which you can pre-order on some cruises or a written promise to underwrite a purchase at the T-Shirt/Novelty sale which will occur onboard at some point near the end of your cruise or perhaps a special group portrait for Christmas.

I am sure you will have a great time with your family at a wonderful time of year. Happy Cruising and an Early Merry Christmas! Bob and Linda

Good morning KDance and welcome to Cruise Critic. What a nice idea for a christmas cruise. My wife and I are taking our first New Years Eve cruise in December from Fort Lauderdale. We have never been cruising over Christmas.

As to the Walkie Talkies I don't believe they would be of much use on Celebrity ships. Strong magnets or magnetic chalk/note board would probably work better for keeping in touch. I suspect many persons will decorate their cabin doors with a Christmas theme. Magnetic stick on characters, small wreath, a red bow, etc. You might also consider some holly or other decorative material to go around your balcony door or porthole depending on your room. I would stay away from any lights that you have to plug in. Security at the port may not like that idea and plugs are at a premium in the cabin.

Another small gift you might like to include are earplugs/masks for sleeping on plane or ship, spa or specialty dinner certificates which you can pre-order on some cruises or a written promise to underwrite a purchase at the T-Shirt/Novelty sale which will occur onboard at some point near the end of your cruise or perhaps a special group portrait for Christmas.

I am sure you will have a great time with your family at a wonderful time of year. Happy Cruising and an Early Merry Christmas! Bob and Linda

Hi drychi,

Thank you! We're also doing a Christmas/New Years Eve Cruise :) I love the idea of decorations, I'm a huge fan of Christmas so it's likely my mum and nan will be tripping over tinsel in our room ha ha!

I'm going to take a look at what's on board and see if I can purchase anything in advance for them like gift certificates.

Thank you both for the walkie talkie info too.

- K

Hi drychi,

Thank you! We're also doing a Christmas/New Years Eve Cruise :) I love the idea of decorations, I'm a huge fan of Christmas so it's likely my mum and nan will be tripping over tinsel in our room ha ha!

I'm going to take a look at what's on board and see if I can purchase anything in advance for them like gift certificates.

Thank you both for the walkie talkie info too.

- K

Just take note that you are not allowed to use scotch tape to hang your decorations. It is known to damage the walls and you will be charged for that before you leave. Strong magnets with hooks are a much better idea for hanging your decor.

IMHO, holiday cruises are great, but the Xmas festivities that X and other cruise lines provide will not be over whelming. Remember there are many other religions onboard that do not celebrate Xmas. Having said that, they will have a good time, no matter what. A few unexpected perks from you will be great.

We usually do a holiday cruise every year, it is the time when we can dress and take nicer clothes since we live in Florida and have room for minor decorations which include a small folding tree for the table and few other holiday items, some times a gift(small) for the room steward. The basic cabin are small unless you get a jS or suite or above, so think small.

We did a Christmas cruise on RCL a few years ago and I wanted our room to be festive but didn't want to give up much luggage space to decor. So I bought Christmas-themed window clings (very inexpensive) and put them up on the inside of our veranda door. Easy to put up and easy to remove without any residue left behind!

We did a Christmas cruise on RCL a few years ago and I wanted our room to be festive but didn't want to give up much luggage space to decor. So I bought Christmas-themed window clings (very inexpensive) and put them up on the inside of our veranda door. Easy to put up and easy to remove without any residue left behind!

Love this idea, thanks for sharing :).

We always decorate our cabin and cabin door for Christmas and we cruise normally in early Dec. I take a small Christmas tree for the cabin and decorate that and then I put clings on the cabin door and garland on the door also. My favorite time of the year!!!

We were a group of six on a Christmas/New year cruise.

I had a aft cabin. I downloaded Christmas carols and a Three Tenor album for playing when we had folks over for drinks on Christmas Day. I brought Christmas light necklaces that lite up for all of us to wear at our MDR table. The wait staff loved them. We wore then Dec 23, 24, 25, 26. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we had lots of foli wrapped chocolate bells that we gave to every staff person we saw. I saw the Captain and some officers on Christmas morning having coffee at Cova Cafe( we were on the Century). I gave them all a choclate and said Merry Crhistmas. The Captain accetped with a big smile. Later that morning there was a staff person going around the pool deck with a basket of wrapped Chocolate kisses that they handed out to every one in the pool area.

we exchanged small presents with each other we brought from home on Christmas Day.

Each cabin received a very nice gift on Christmas Eve left in our cabin.

We've done a few Christmas cruises and love them. My husband loves the ships so I bought him the smaller scale ships that are available in the gift shops. We both love looking at them (Disney and Celebrity) and remembering our Christmas Day celebration.

What a sweet and generous plan to bring Christmas gifts for your travel companions!

That being said, I have to disagree with the previous posters regarding walkie talkies. We did a family and friends cruise last year, and being that my hubby is a bit of a gadget freak, he bought a set of 8 walkies. Assigned one to each couple and it was a great way to stay in touch. We had no problems with reception. Recharged them each night and no problem! Sure saved a lot of wasted time wandering the ship looking for each other.

We will be on a friends/working cruise the week before Christmas this year and I am considering decorating our cabin with the window clings. don't think I will have enough space in the suitcase for a tree of any size. Some mentioned a "fold-up tree". Where does one find something like that?

Hi!

- K

Hi KD,

My wife an I have been onboard ships during the Holiday Season for the past 14 years. A very special time for us! I think we have holiday decorations in the garage somewhere?? We've found that it is cheaper and very special to spend this time of the year away from home. A white Xmas for us is the white sand beaches of the Caribbean.

We decorate our cabin door and make sure we give our service people something special. The ship is all decked out in holiday decorations and they have special events during the week. New Years is wonderful as well.

They make a big deal out of it for the kids ( as they should) and everyone is in a festive mood.

PS -- leave the Walkie Talkies at home. They are annoying at best and are a very poor way to keep informed as a group. Leave notes on your cabin door, or agree to meeting times during the day.

Have fun and enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

We have done 2 Christmas cruises and am looking forward to this years! What I do is bring my Charlie Brown Christmas tree with mini lights (battery operated) and at each port, buy a tree ornament or key chain. By the end of our holiday, I take a close up picture for our memory album! :)

For gifts for yourselves, what about a group gift and purchase mini binoculars, especially if you have a balcony. Have a great time! Di

..we give our service people something special. ..

What do you find they like (appreciate) the most? I always have trouble thinking what someone away from home like they are would most appreciate (besides cash). I suppose candy is always a safe choice?

What do you find they like (appreciate) the most? I always have trouble thinking what someone away from home like they are would most appreciate (besides cash). I suppose candy is always a safe choice?

We used to give Phone Cards, but I'm not sure they use them as much? In the past, we've gotten to know them well enough to pick up something from the ports.

Sometimes we bring something from where we live. Loads of NM stuff, unique to our area. Like a silver money clip with some fresh bills.

Gift cards they can use in port. In FLL there is a Walgreens next to the port they frequently visit.

They have very little cabin space, so we keep it small. We usually tip extra at the end of the cruise and place the cash in a "Thank You" card with a hand written note. Like most of us, a personal note goes a long ways.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Edited by kelmac

Great ideas here! I just ordered a Christmas lanyard for my upcoming Christmas cruise.

I have made some cabin/door decorations. I printed off a printable Christmas tree on to cardstock that I found on-line, laminated it, and placed magnets on the back. I'm hoping to find space big enough inside my cabin to place the tree (without having to remove any pictures!). The link to the site is: http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/previews/10926-10950/sb10944-giant-christmas-tree-display-picture.html#.WBydKjKZORs

I also made up two decorations which I put my and my husband's names on to put up on the outside of our cabin door. These also are laminated and have magnets on the back.

Please consider giving elegant Christmas-themed notepads instead of walkie-talkies. Not only would you be giving thoughtful gifts to Mum, Nan and yourself, you would be giving a thoughtful gift to other passengers. They would not have to endure "What? Where are you? What did you say? Where? Where is that? Speak louder, I can't hear you. What? I need to move. It's too noisy in here..." :)

We have been on two Christmas family cruises and I am sure things have changed since it has been 10 years since our last one. But we bought a 3-foot Christmas tree and carried the box with us onboard. We even had a small string of lights and ornaments from the dollar store. It really made it seem like Christmas as we each had small gifts to unwrap too. Back then, RCL and X both did a lot on Christmas Day. RCL had Santa "land" on the top deck via helicopter (obviously he didn't but that is what kids were told) and there was a parade from the top deck to the atrium. Santa sat down and EVERY child on the ship was given a wrapped gift. On X, the Captain and officers held an impromptu Caroling session around the atrium that was special.

I would agree with the poster above who suggested bringing a small tree with tiny ornaments. These are cheap and compact.

I addition, I would suggest the following little gifts, all cruise related:

- suntan lotion or better yet suntan stick for the face (doesn't run in the eyes and small enough to carry with you in port)

- a visor or crushable/packable brimmed hat

- My mom & I each have a small leather holder on a chain. It's the size of a credit card and holds your sea pass card. there is also a side zipper where you can tuck away some cash, credit card and driver's license when in port. This means you never have to carry a purse! We love it. I would give you a link on amazon, but I don't know if that is allowed. Search "leather badge holder zipper lanyard" on amazon.Many options

- inexpensive sunglasses

- a paperback book

- fun bookmark

- cooling body lotion (travel size, I like Eucerin..cooling and ordorless and works!)

- a deck of cards

- small box of sweets (chocolates/caramels/licorice...whatever the person likes)

- little flashlight or nightlight

- highlighter for planning your day from the daily schedule

- travel alarm clock

- imodium D and Dramamine (although I would just pack these and not give as gifts)

- inexpensive zippered tote bag to carry it all in

- Berlitz translation book (if going anywhere that might be helpful)

Have a great cruise!

I bring candy canes and attach a $5 bill (or whatever) to it. They really like that.:D