Scam alert!

mnovak61

I just noticed a credit back to my credit card for an internet package I purchased a couple of months ago. I called to see why this was cancelled and credited back to my card and they said it must have been some kind of computer glitch and I should just re-book it on the website. Well it turns out that that package is no longer available and to re-book with the new package it will cost about $25 more. I called back to customer service and now they are telling me that I cancelled it on their website and there is nothing they can do about it and I have to re-book it at the higher price. Why would I be calling about it if I cancelled it? I asked to talk to a supervisor and have now been on hold for over 30 minutes. I can afford the $25 bucks but it's not right to cancel peoples reservations and make them pay more to re-book them. If they do that 1000 times they just made an additional $25000. What a crock! [/size]

Did it show on your cruise planner...I also get an email confirmation of the purchase. I just did for my internet purchase this past weekend during the sale. I wouldn't have any trouble forwarding the email to RCI to prove this. If you did (not saying you did) cancel you would have gotten an email confirming this too.

I did save the confirmation e-mail for the drink plan and the internet that were all purchased at the same time. I never received an e-mail about the cancellation, probably because I NEVER CANCELLED IT! I guess I can print out the confirmation and bring it with on the cruise and see what they will do onboard about it.

I just noticed a credit back to my credit card for an internet package I purchased a couple of months ago. I called to see why this was cancelled and credited back to my card and they said it must have been some kind of computer glitch and I should just re-book it on the website. Well it turns out that that package is no longer available and to re-book with the new package it will cost about $25 more. I called back to customer service and now they are telling me that I cancelled it on their website and there is nothing they can do about it and I have to re-book it at the higher price. Why would I be calling about it if I cancelled it? I asked to talk to a supervisor and have now been on hold for over 30 minutes. I can afford the $25 bucks but it's not right to cancel peoples reservations and make them pay more to re-book them. If they do that 1000 times they just made an additional $25000. What a crock! [/size]

I would not go as far as saying a multi billion dollar corp needs to be so petty. error's do happen.

Last year on vacation I rented a car from Alamo.

returned the car with a full tank of gas. the car obviously was not checked in correctly. next month i get a bill for $65 for gas. took me 2 hours on the phone. Finally got the right person, they removed the charge but never once took responsibility. However, like you. it was more of the principal of the situation. but its still your money. why should you.

I'm not going to say ALAMO is scamming anyone. just a screw up. when you think logically, it makes no sense for them to do that purposefully. Its just bad business.

I would not go as far as saying a multi billion dollar corp needs to be so petty. error's do happen....

it makes no sense for them to do that purposefully. Its just bad business.

Yeah.. gotta agree. Everything is not a conspiracy. If it was, they'd be facing unbelievable fines and legal issues. I doubt they have a "how do we screw them next" department. I doubt someone comes up with "just cancel the internet package and when they complain, charge them $25 more."

I did save the confirmation e-mail for the drink plan and the internet that were all purchased at the same time. I never received an e-mail about the cancellation, probably because I NEVER CANCELLED IT! I guess I can print out the confirmation and bring it with on the cruise and see what they will do onboard about it.

I will do the same when in your situation.

On my last cruise in July Royal canceled an RCI excursion that was booked 6 months in advance for 9am slot on Labadee and rebooked to afternoon booking which is less preferred.

They stated that the excursion would only be honored for original booked price for the later time. We were in a large group and all got switched. We had to rebook for a higher price. Felt like a Royal shakedown. Always check your cruise planner because they do just cancel and force you to rebook at higher rate. Customer service had no answers so we all just paid.

Did it show on your cruise planner...I also get an email confirmation of the purchase. I just did for my internet purchase this past weekend during the sale. I wouldn't have any trouble forwarding the email to RCI to prove this. If you did (not saying you did) cancel you would have gotten an email confirming this too.

Except RCI is not denying that the OP bought the package they are saying she cancelled the package. So forwarding an e-mail for proof of purchase isn't going to help.

I returned a rental vehicle at Dollar Rent A Car at FLL two years ago. I received a call from American Express a few weeks later that I failed to pay two tolls on the Florida Turnpike at 3:00AM at two unmanned toll plazas. First I explained that I certainly don't do any driving at that time anymore and secondly the rental vehicle was returned a day earlier. After a fifteen minute telephone call everything was straightened out. Mistakes happen!

I would not go as far as saying a multi billion dollar corp needs to be so petty. error's do happen.

Last year on vacation I rented a car from Alamo.

returned the car with a full tank of gas. the car obviously was not checked in correctly. next month i get a bill for $65 for gas. took me 2 hours on the phone. Finally got the right person, they removed the charge but never once took responsibility. However, like you. it was more of the principal of the situation. but its still your money. why should you.

I'm not going to say ALAMO is scamming anyone. just a screw up. when you think logically, it makes no sense for them to do that purposefully. Its just bad business.

Agree with you till there is proof that what they are doing is a corporate policy.

Mmmmm. Operational SOP.

1) Once a customer has booked an option, wait 30 days and then delete the booked option. Our goal is to be thought of as a scamming company. We also have excess time and money so that front line phone staff can spend their time looking up facts, try to track down what happen, etc.

We have calculated that the average cost to do this will be around $20 of time/effort and thus when rebooked, we will make additional profit, (maybe).

2) Make sure that we have sufficiently 'ticked' off the very customers we are trying to book our product/service and the same customers that if we provide an 'outstanding' experience, will refer us to many others.

---------------

I will say too that customer service needs to consider the cost of forcing a customer to rebook vs reinstating the previously booked option and getting a 'moment of truth' boost as the customer tells the story/interaction over and over to many people.

Without knowing every detail and if it is a trend. I would instruct my front line customer service reps to automatically reinstate if they can see where it had been booked and then deleted for whatever reason. How much money can they be making by taking a hard position. I would let customer know that they are doing this as a courtesy to a 'valued' customer. I would also put a note in the file! If it were to happen again, I would push issue up food chain to manager to deal with the customer. Then we could see how companies management handles irate customers. :)

Thats all I was looking for was to have the original package re-instated. I'm not trying to get an upgrade for free. They are telling me that the original package is still available but not for pre purchase. I can purchase it on the cruise ship for $90 something dollars. If the package still exists why can't they just put it back on my cruise planner for what I originally purchased it for? That's not unreasonable to ask is it?

Thats all I was looking for was to have the original package re-instated. I'm not trying to get an upgrade for free. They are telling me that the original package is still available but not for pre purchase. I can purchase it on the cruise ship for $90 something dollars. If the package still exists why can't they just put it back on my cruise planner for what I originally purchased it for? That's not unreasonable to ask is it?

I would reinstate you at your original price, but I am customer oriented AND I tend to believe the customer especially when there is some documentation that you did have it booked earlier.

The difference is $25 per your original post. They will waste that much time/effort and lose that much in customer goodwill. AND just assume you are trying to take advantage of them, it is $25! I am wondering if this happens all the time for them to take this position, which if it does, seems they should fix their system, not have customer rebook with all its apparent issues. Or even if you changed your mind and deleted the option, I would as a courtesy reinstate this time with a note in your file. :)

What I would not do would be if offer is not longer available and some asks to get the offer because they forgot to book it.

Edited by shipshape sam

I dont know if this is true but i heard that to give people OBC for booking a cruise they have to scam enough money from other people first. Could be made up or could be a conspiracy, well prolly never get to the truth. Or will we ? Lol