Whats the story about negative Koningsdam Reviews?

Hlitner

Here are the results I found when I calculated the ratio of ship tonnage and passenger capacity on a variety of ships from HAL and elsewhere (this notes the cruise line, name of the ship, passenger capacity, tonnage and ratio in order):

Cunard QM2 3,090 pax Tons= 151,400 Ratio= 49.00

HAL Maasdam 1,258 pax Tons= 55,575 Ratio= 44.18

HAL Westerdam 1,916 pax Tons= 82,348 Ratio= 42.98

Celebrity Solstice 2,850 pax Tons=122,000 Ratio= 42.80

HAL Noordam 1,924 pax Tons=82,318 Ratio= 42.78

HAL Volendam 1,432 pax Tons=61,214 Ratio= 42.74

Princess Island 2,214 pax Tons= 92,000 Ratio= 41.55

HAL Koningsdam 2,650 pax Tons= 99,500 Ratio= 37.54

How we each experience space is a very personal thing and I realize some people like the vibe that comes with having more people around them. For us, we are much happier on other HAL ships and while we are glad we tried K'dam we are also glad there are other ships that we can go back to.

Recently I was comparing tonnage/passenger ratios for the new VIKING STAR. 47,800 gt. 930 paz = Ratio 50.00

Very nice! Then I went to the new Saga Newbuild due 2019.

57,000 gt 999pax Ratio 57.06

Even better!

The promenade is narrow and not what one would be used to if doing a comparison but it does go all the way around the ship:) no problem doing my morning laps.

Did they finally put up directional signs on the promenade so most folks walking laps would know which direction to go? When we were on in July, there weren't any signs and it got quite tight in the "narrows" in the front and back of the ship when you encountered folks walking in the opposite direction.

That was one of the annoying issues on our initial K'dam cruise we thought was resolvable.

I just got off Koningsdam this morning and was on the ship the past 16 nights. Just a couple of comments--the design of the promenade deck will be forever changed on ALL ships built after 2015 due to the Costa Concordia findings. It has to do with the way the lifeboats are on that deck--it has nothing to do with HA. This ship is trying to cater to a younger population--why waste valuable space on a library when younger crowds do not use that space???? I used my cell phone to know what was going on around the ship, book dinners, look up our account, and many other things. This is a very modern, beautiful ship, with a wonderful crew!! We never felt crowded at all and loved the size of the ship. Very easy to get around. The only problem we encountered was in the dining room--they are using tablets to place orders and we felt it was too slow of a system. Most all nights, the Lido Market had the same thing as in the dining room, so we went there. One night we had crab legs and on another night we had lobster tails in the Lido Market! If you wanted more, you just walk up and ask for more! I need to unpack and get caught up since we were gone over 3 weeks, but would be happy to answer any questions at cruisejanet at g mail

As we will be boarding the K'dam for 10 days this coming Sunday, we've read just about everything that's been written, positive and negative. It seems to me that the critics fall into one of two broad categories: those that were reporting issues that would best be described as "start up" problems, not at all unexpected in the ship's first months of operation, and those who didn't like some of the changes from the existing fleet. Regarding the latter, the two biggest criticisms appear to be the design of the promenade deck and the reduction in the size and scope of the library.

I've heard that there are water leaks within the ship all over the place with buckets in place! :e theek: Can anyone confirm this fact? :confused:

well, we were all over that ship in the past 16 days and never saw this????? we walk a lot and were in all the public rooms at different times so I am not sure if this was in cabins??? We talked with a lot of people and never heard this as an issue.:rolleyes:

We have seen occasional leaks at times on different ships. Once after they checked out the fire suppression system (some dripping on our bed) and/or condensation from the A/C system when in hot/humid areas (a bucket was out in the public area). This stuff happens.

However, it appears there were some serious water leaks below some changes to the aft pool on some ship - swaying water flooded over the rim and somehow leaked down into the newly installed aft cabins below. One reason they changed those ships to have only aft "splash" pools, or in our case on the Veendam, some high-walled hot tubs instead of a full aft deck pool.

Edited by OlsSalt

The cruise (Oct. 12- Nov. 9) we just did was wonderful and the K ship is simply spectacular. Yes it is large but it is also colourful, modern and high tech (we already miss the very large flat screen interactive television). The novelties she offers, the many eating venues, the great service, the delicious food (never had any bad meals)...all this made us feel young and alive.

It is the perfect ship if you are not mobility challenged and open to change and to the future.:D

The captain said that it contains 80% more technology than any other HAL ship.

You can find your photos in the photo gallery using the face recognition system, you open your cabin door by tapping your card, you can pour your own beer with a computerized beer dispenser, you can order custom pizzas or deli sandwiches at the New York Deli.

The Dutch café, the Sel de mer, the Tamarind, the high tea in the 2 story Queens lounge with the 3-tier plate full of delicacies, the great decor, the wonderful staff.

Each deck stair landings is decorated with wonderful museum quality pictures and artifacts.

The musical shows at the Lincoln center are one of a kind, very professional.

Not to mention the 200 degrees screen behind the stage in the world stage show room that made MUSICOLOGY and FROZEN PLANET (BBC collaboration) real gems to watch and rewatch (we went twice on our b2b cruises). All other HAL shows are pale in comparison.

The ship is truly exciting and we have are planning another cruise on her already.

If you like small ships and do not want to walk, do not go. If you are mobile and open to the 21st century, try her,:):):)

Edited by happyglobetrotter

Originally Posted by GeriatricNurse

I've heard that there are water leaks within the ship all over the place with buckets in place! :eek:Can anyone confirm this fact?

This is an unexplained rumour...:cool:

well, we were all over that ship in the past 16 days and never saw this????? we walk a lot and were in all the public rooms at different times so I am not sure if this was in cabins??? We talked with a lot of people and never heard this as an issue.:rolleyes:

This is ridiculous. 28 days on the ship and we saw absolutely no buckets.

We did see buckets on Maasdam, Prinsendam and Amsterdam....but not on this brand new ship.

Edited by happyglobetrotter

... the K ship is simply spectacular. Yes it is large but it is also colourful, modern and high tech ... novelties she offers, the many eating venues, the great service, the delicious food ... all this made us feel young and alive ... The ship is truly exciting and we have are planning another cruise on her already ... If you like small ships and do not want to walk, do not go. If you are mobile and open to the 21st century, try her,:):):)

Now that's an endorsement! Thank you for the positive recommendation. [emoji106]🏻

Just a couple of comments--the design of the promenade deck will be forever changed on ALL ships built after 2015 due to the Costa Concordia findings. It has to do with the way the lifeboats are on that deck--it has nothing to do with HA. QUOTE]

Sorry this is not correct. The design is done the way MOST new ships are designing. This was a choice by the owners, nothing to do with rules after 2015.

Saga Cruises have one newbuild in the works and a looks like a second ship to follow. There is a full wraparound promenade deck and the boats are slung under davits and the deck below is completely open.

The boats are high, yes. The boats 'seem' to block the views from the cabins behind the boats. In fact there are no cabins there at all. That whole area from side to side is the LIBRARY. Probably the largest at sea. 57,000 gt (roughly same size as VEENDAM) only 999 passengers. 70 Single cabins. One sitting dining.

1196912850_SAGANBShip-Exterior-High-Res-1024x384.jpg.eeb34ea451242df323e775f0cd451706.jpg

Edited by Topsham

The cruise (Oct. 12- Nov. 9) we just did was wonderful and the K ship is simply spectacular. Yes it is large but it is also colourful, modern and high tech (we already miss the very large flat screen interactive television). The novelties she offers, the many eating venues, the great service, the delicious food (never had any bad meals)...all this made us feel young and alive.

It is the perfect ship if you are not mobility challenged and open to change and to the future.:D

You can find your photos in the photo gallery using the face recognition system, you open your cabin door by tapping your card, you can pour your own beer with a computerized beer dispenser, you can order custom pizzas or deli sandwiches at the New York Deli.

The Dutch café, the Sel de mer, the Tamarind, the high tea in the 2 story Queens lounge with the 3-tier plate full of delicacies, the great decor, the wonderful staff.

Each deck stair landings is decorated with wonderful museum quality pictures and artifacts.

Not to mention the 200 degrees screen behind the stage in the world stage show room that made MUSICOLOGY and FROZEN PLANET (BBC collaboration) real gems to watch and rewatch (we went twice on our b2b cruises). All other HAL shows are pale in comparison.

The ship is truly exciting and we have are planning another cruise on her already.

If you like small ships and do not want to walk, do not go. If you are mobile and open to the 21st century, try her,:):):)

Thank you for sharing your insight! We booked the January 8th sailing and are very much looking forward to it. After enjoying the week prior at Disney World, I won't even notice the other passengers!

They had the same shows on the July cruise. Hopefully, when we cruise on her again on a 17 day B2B in the Caribbean in February, they will have new shows to watch. Yes, they are wonderful to watch the first time, but not over and over.

But we do agree with you, there are a lot of fun new things to do on the K'dam, especially if the price is right. However, I've noticed the prices have been going up on the K'dam. For example, the Feb 2017 VS room on the K'dam we booked a couple of years ago at $3,039 pp is now $6,769 pp for the same category. That's $400 per person per day. We can take a Caribbean cruise on Crystal in a balcony room for $340 per person per day. Being open to change is one thing, but paying noncompetitive prices for it is quite another. Just saying ...

I just got off the 16 day transatlantic crossing. It was my first Holland American cruise. I have been on many cruises but I wasn't ready for the age group that tends to do on their cruises.....now I am that age group;) that said my experience was pretty positive. I was surprised there was no library but I had my iPad so had books to read if I wanted. The crew I found to be really great over all. The opinions on board were split depending who you were talking to. Some really didn't like the new innovations, decor,layout etc. truth is you can never please everyone but I found they kept trying. I will go on the Koningdam again probably sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sandy, enjoyed your review, found comment about the chair lift interesting. Have observed these near hot tubs and pools at hotels and timeshares in Los Angeles area and Palm Springs in recent years. Not certain if this is a courtesy or a legal requirement. Will have to see if these are added to other HAL ships.

Can you elaborate on the mobility challenged part of your comment?

We are also just off the trans-Atlantic. I submitted my log/review to cruise critic. DW has some knee issues and uses a cane. She needs to minimize stairs. So why is there an issue?

Here are my comments relating to the lifts on Koningsdam:

"The inadequate amount of elevators (lifts) makes the wait at peak times unacceptable. This is a deliberate design decision by someone (or a group of someones) at HAL or Carnival corporate. Let’s face it, for the immediate future HAL’s core guest base is older. With age come added infirmities making taking the stairs less of an option for many, plus the number of decks is greater.

Koningsdam has the exact same number of lifts available to guests as the Zaandam, yet nearly twice the guest capacity. The Vista Class all have at least two added lifts over the Koningsdam number, and they hold 600 less guests. I have no idea if this could be corrected for the Nieuw Statendam, but I’m not counting on it."

We cruised on this ship in Oct, everything went ok till the second gala night, 8 of us were eating surf and turf with rice till my husband found a well cooked and good sized whole worm in his rice, he put it on his bread plate, I called waiter and supervisor over to show them, I asked to speak to officers, the guy(with ear pierce walking around dining room)took the plate and left, came back with a bottle wine, of cause we took photos, the next day, only the same guy with ear pierce asked how my husband doing, no officer or any high up asked about my husband, we filled surveys, not even received a form letter, called guest relation, the woman told me to send email with photos, which I did, I got form letter saying they got my email, that's two weeks ago, wondering they just tossed this unique issue overboard.

Anyone know how to attach photo on forum? I'll be gladly to show the little guy on bread plate.

We cruised on this ship in Oct, everything went ok till the second gala night, 8 of us were eating surf and turf with rice till my husband found a well cooked and good sized whole worm in his rice, he put it on his bread plate, I called waiter and supervisor over to show them, I asked to speak to officers, the guy(with ear pierce walking around dining room)took the plate and left, came back with a bottle wine, of cause we took photos, the next day, only the same guy with ear pierce asked how my husband doing, no officer or any high up asked about my husband, we filled surveys, not even received a form letter, called guest relation, the woman told me to send email with photos, which I did, I got form letter saying they got my email, that's two weeks ago, wondering they just tossed this unique issue overboard.

Anyone know how to attach photo on forum? I'll be gladly to show the little guy on bread plate.

Yuck, pretty unpleasant. I'm glad to hear that they took immediate action and compensated you with a bottle of wine. Then came back the following night to check up on your husband. In my mind, they dealt with the issue in a very appropriate manner, so I'm not sure why you feel that "a higher up" needed to be involved. If they hadn't dealt with the issue, I could understand wanting to escalate, but it seems to me they did all the right things.

The cruise (Oct. 12- Nov. 9) we just did was wonderful and the K ship is simply spectacular. Yes it is large but it is also colourful, modern and high tech (we already miss the very large flat screen interactive television). The novelties she offers, the many eating venues, the great service, the delicious food (never had any bad meals)...all

Review

Write Your ReviewClick tthis made us feel young and alive.

Thanks, Louise for your positive review. I do like smaller ships; consider the Amsterdam the ideal size. But we do like to walk a mile after breakfast and dinner around the promenade deck. Looks like it can be done, just not as enjoyable as on other HAL ships. We usually book an inside cabin except on the Prinsendam: Looks like the insides on the K are also ridiculously tiny so we will have to see if an OV has a place to sit other than the bed. You did raise my impressions of the ship, so we will not write it off. Looking forward to seeing you and Brian in January.

Ray and Sara

It is at the very top of our list for our next HAL cruise.

Sounds like a great ship that combines traditional HAL with the amenities that we have come to appreciate and enjoy on larger ships.

Hopefully this ship, and others like her, will usher HAL into a new era of cruising.

We have been considering a 21 day Koningsdam cruise and read through many of the cruiser reviews posted here on CC. There seems to be an awful lot of negativity about this ship....and even more surprisingly the crew. What gives?

Hank:eek:

Just got off of the transatlantic. We thought it was the best ship design of any ship we have ever been on., close to perfect. There is so much more open space than on other ships. The crew was one of the overall best we have ever experienced with our room stewards and dining stewards (we had fixed main, 8:15pm and were given a 4 top for just the two of us by the railing).

The only negative was that the ship was boring during the transatlantic portion as there are few activities during the day compared to other lines. They had two speakers including Melvin Foster maritime historian who is an excellent speaker and I have heard before (both HAL and Celebrity), but those not into the speakers or kitchen tour, towel folding, and back stage tour complained they were bored to death.

They got rid of the library but were told they have had complaints and are working on getting it back.

They are no longer doing the Royal Dutch or Indonesian tea, and no more crew shows. They no longer print or give out the navigation chart information at the end of the cruise which was disappointing.

The food was overall good for banquet food and HAL is still the only mass market line we have been on that has surf and turf with filet mignon and lobster and does not charge extra, and king crab legs on another gala night. They also had lots of movies on the cabin tv and do not charge you for them like on other lines.

The demographics on the transatlantic were the oldest we have ever experienced on HAL with average age in the 70's which was very different than when we did VOV some years ago or a Celebrity TA in 2012 where the average age was 50's - 60's. We were told by those who were on earlier for the 12 night med collectors that the age average had been younger with families. So we likely won't do a TA on HAL again but would cruise on and recommend this ship. The designer did an awesome job. The modern artwork is not labeled yet but they are working on it.

Edited by Jade13

A lot of negative critics are from folks who do not like the trend of bigger ships, smaller promenades, and poor designs choices.

If you have no qualms about such things, go on her, and enjoy a great cruise :)

Design is fantastic. Lots of open space to enjoy.

Just got off of the transatlantic. We thought it was the best ship design of any ship we have ever been on., close to perfect. There is so much more open space than on other ships. The crew was one of the overall best we have ever experienced with our room stewards and dining stewards (we had fixed main, 8:15pm and were given a 4 top for just the two of us by the railing).

The only negative was that the ship was boring during the transatlantic portion as there are few activities during the day compared to other lines. They had two speakers including Melvin Foster maritime historian who is an excellent speaker and I have heard before (both HAL and Celebrity), but those not into the speakers or kitchen tour, towel folding, and back stage tour complained they were bored to death.

They got rid of the library but were told they have had complaints and are working on getting it back.

They are no longer doing the Royal Dutch or Indonesian tea, and no more crew shows. They no longer print or give out the navigation chart information at the end of the cruise which was disappointing.

The food was overall good for banquet food and HAL is still the only mass market line we have been on that has surf and turf with filet mignon and lobster and does not charge extra, and king crab legs on another gala night. They also had lots of movies on the cabin tv and do not charge you for them like on other lines.

The demographics on the transatlantic were the oldest we have ever experienced on HAL with average age in the 70's which was very different than when we did VOV some years ago or a Celebrity TA in 2012 where the average age was 50's - 60's. We were told by those who were on earlier for the 12 night med collectors that the age average had been younger with families. So we likely won't do a TA on HAL again but would cruise on and recommend this ship. The designer did an awesome job. The modern artwork is not labeled yet but they are working on it.

On my previous Princess cruises, the most recent one in December 2015, they served real lobster tails along with "turf." You could have as many as you wanted without any extra charge.

Loved Kdams transatlantic cruise.

If you are bored on her.......it's your own dam fault:rolleyes:

Lots of choices for eating out and all of them are well worth it. No need to pig out and there is a point when you get sick of eating:eek:

This 2 week cruise had the best of lecturers and packed the house in the world stage.

Lack of library may be falling on deaf ears but everyone I saw were doing just fine with their own devices or books all over the ship......so many places to read!!!

Staff as a majority was great and the cruise director was visible in many different places including bingo.

We met many different like minded people who loved to travel and many with Holland. Some loved the big ship many did not. Different strokes for different folks.

If you go with a skewed view......you will not have a good time! We entered with an open mind and had a great time on a beautiful ship!