La Spezia.

chromered7

Has anyone docked in La Spezia? We will be doing so on our next cruise and we need advice/tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure it's a "tender" port. You can walk to the train station and get a Cinque Terre pass to see the 5 villages. They also have boat transfers to the villages. Do some research for time schedules.

We docked in La Spezia this year. It's a nice town. You need to take a free shuttle through the commercial port to the terminal. From there, you can easily walk into town following a wide pedestrian path/park and spend the day exploring what the town has to offer. It is the jumping off point for Cinque Terre -- either by train or by boat. The boat is also how you could go to Portvenere to spend the day there. It's also considered an alternate jumping off point for Florence/Pisa.

We picked up the La Spezia Welcome card at the info table in the terminal for 3 Euro ... got a nice map and a discount on the admission to the fortress that overlooks the city (small museum in the fortress; nice views from the ramparts. Via del Prione is the town's main drag with shops and restaurants.

Hope this helps.

Edited by h2so4

La Spezia has one pier. I docked twice there with the Allure and the Harmony of the Seas. This year there was a second ship in port which did tender.

You have to take a free shuttle to the main port building (new one this year). There you will find a lot of offers there (shared mini van tours to Cinque Terre, Florcence, Pisa). The ferry dock is about 5 min walking from the port building. There´s also a mini train for sightseeing in town. Train station is app. 20 to 30 min walking.

steamboats

We did a tour there with RomeCabs. Oh my gosh it was AMAZING!

There was 8 of us, (found other interested people on our roll call) & the driver first took us to Pisa before the crowds got there, then to Florence.

He told us the best place to have lunch, (which it was!!!) & we walked around the town & I had the BEST gelato I've ever eaten.

One of my favourite days in Europe!!! (& we were there for 8 weeks!)

Didn't dock there, but did a shore excursion via La Spezia. It's the gateway to Cinque Terre! I recommend doing Cinque Terre because you'll be so close to it. We had to drive 1.5 hours each way just to reach the train in La Spezia; you can just hop on the train.

Cinque Terre!!! We spent three days there and could have spent more time. The ferry system is great to see the coast with its beautiful views. We took the train from La Spezia and stayed in Monterosso. It is the farthest town and you may not have enough time to see it...Vernazza is the most crowded. We took the ferry to Portovenere, which is farther south.

Figure where you want to go and what you want to see...train and ferry are my choices for a day! Yes, you are right there in La Spezia...Enjoy!!!!

Research...

Edited by Lastdance

We docked at Spenzia last week on Silhouette. We were originally scheduled or Livorno but because of storms and winds we had a change of ports. It is further away to Florence and many CruiseCritic tours were cancelled as the prices were raised due to the extra distance.

We were docked and a free shuttle was provided to the Entrance to the Port.

We decided to visit Pisa and drop Florence from our original plans as it was cold and a bit showery. The train station is a comfortable 1 mile walk and the trip to Pisa takes about 1 hour. Excepts for a couple gaps the express train runs approx. every 30 minutes. The train to Florence and tour busses was about 2 hours in each direction.

Spenzia is a pretty port town, being Sunday, we were surprised that many of the shops were open.