Westerdam Air Conditioning options

jbobst

We are currently onboard the Westerdam and finishing up our first full day at sea. Since we boarded in San Diego yesterday, our cabin (deck 7 verandah) will not cool down to an acceptable level. There is cool air coming out of the small vent, and we've had an engineer come test the air. The engineer said it was acceptable and gave us temperature readings that don't seem accurate at all. I've been to the front desk 3 times asking them if we could switch cabins and they tell us that we have to wait until our first Port in case there are other passengers who missed the ship who join the ship there. They didn't seem very optimistic about it.

Tonight the room is even warmer than last night, and since we are heading south and the outside air is getting warmer and warmer, I don't expect our room to get any better, and possibly even worse (as it has already done).

Granted, my wife and I like it cold when we sleep (and other times of the day), so I can understand this is a subjective thing. However, the Lido Buffet and the Atrium and surrounding public areas are ice cold! The minute you leave the elevator/stairway area and head down our hallway, you can instantly feel the warmer humid air compared to the other public areas of the ship.

Since it appears there is nothing the staff onboard can do for us, I wanted to ask some of you veteran cruisers if you might have any other ideas that we can try to get the room cooler? It's a long shot, but maybe some of you have some ideas.

Other than the lack of air conditioning in our room, and upwind smoker on the balcony next door, the cruise is really nice so far.

When I asked the front desk if we could move cabins, the lady was looking for other Verandah cabins that might be available (they didn't have anything). My wife and I were thinking that maybe we go ask for an inside cabin as they might have more availability. It would stink to pay for a verandah cabin and move to an inside, but my question would be, do the inside cabins have better air conditioning or does it not matter?

Just like a hotel, the ship will only guarantee that the AC will maintain a room within a set range of temperature, typically 72-72*F. If your cabin is in that range, they generally will not offer any compensation for a temperature complaint. There is really no difference in AC between a balcony and an inside.

My first question is, as you are walking down the passageway near your cabin, do you notice a wind or a "sucking" sound coming from cabin doorways? This is indicative of someone leaving the balcony door open, which not only shuts off the recirculation AC for that cabin, but disrupts the airflow balance for a set of cabins (generally all the cabins on one deck between sets of fire doors) for the fresh air AC that comes from a central unit. If this is the case, you can mention this to guest services and see if they can get the culprit to keep their door closed (and it may be several cabins).

As KK mentions, you may be able to get a fan from Guest Services. You should also keep the drapes pulled closed on the balcony door to keep the radiation heat load down.

We were in a cabin on the Navigation deck last year and the HVAC system would not keep the temp under an acceptable point (to us or them). We were provided with a fan which did help, especially at night. Later we were offered another cabin but declined as we knew of other passengers with much worse plumbing problems. We were surprised at the end of the cruise when we were then provided a small OBC, the letter stating it was in compensation for our understanding and cooperation.

Hope they do get your problem solved in an acceptable manner.

Edited by 0bnxshs

We have had A/C problems on multiple HAL vessels, but do not recall a specific problem on the Westerdam. Over the years there have been numerous posts about A/C issues on HAL...especially when a ship is in warm climates. We now have a small travel clock with a very accurate built-in digital thermometer...which we always take on cruises. If we cannot get the temps below 75 we start documenting the issue and bring it to the attention of Guest Services. If they cannot resolve the issue ask for an appointment with the Hotel Manager and elevate the issue (always being polite and respectful). Otherwise, there is little you can do other then to report the issue (and your attempts to resolve the issue) in your after-cruise review.

Hank

We are just off the Westerdam from the 11/5 (last week's) cruise. Our cabin was 7070 and the AC was perfect. In fact the whole ship felt cooler in preparation to going south leaving and returning to San Diego.

My feelings are someone has their door propped open defeating the AC system.

Also we had 2100 passengers (1500 Mariners!) with about eight passengers joining us once we arrived at Cabo. Your cruise may be as full as ours. But it never felt crowded!

Edited by Heartgrove

Not sure about the Westerdam air conditioning system but on a 28 day cruise on Volendam in Asia we had to have the totally plugged air filter replaced twice. Then on Zuiderdam we found out that ship doesn't have individual room filters and were given an inside cabin across the hall from our verandah cabin for sleeping when our room wouldn't cool. Both times we could not get the room air temperature below 78f. Please don't accept a supply delivery temperature reading taken at the vent. You want a room air temperature reading.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for the advice. I suspect that due to the outside weather being so nice, and the fact that we are on the port side of the ship (only morning sun while heading south) that there may be multiple people with their balcony doors propped open. When we do go out on the balcony we try to open the door as little as possible, squeeze through and close it behind us immediately. There was one time yesterday when we left the cabin I was surprised at the vacuum/sucking feeling I had when trying to open our main cabin door.

We'll go down and ask for a fan as well. We brought a little 6 inch fan, but it's barely doing anything with regards to air circulation.

Today we'll anchor in Cabo, so maybe they'll call us with available rooms if nobody joins the ship. However, even then, the next room may have the same issue.

While the room temp is not ideal, the cruise is going very well. Really like some of the differences HAL has to offer. Thanks again for the replies!

Edited by jbobst

Thank you all for the advice. I suspect that due to the outside weather being so nice, and the fact that we are on the port side of the ship (only morning sun while heading south) that there may be multiple people with their balcony doors propped open. When we do go out on the balcony we try to open the door as little as possible, squeeze through and close it behind us immediately. There was one time yesterday when we left the cabin I was surprised at the vacuum/sucking feeling I had when trying to open our main cabin door.

We'll go down and ask for a fan as well. We brought a little 6 inch fan, but it's barely doing anything with regards to air circulation.

Today we'll anchor in Cabo, so maybe they'll call us with available rooms if nobody joins the ship. However, even then, the next room may have the same issue.

While the room temp is not ideal, the cruise is going very well. Really like some of the differences HAL has to offer. Thanks again for the replies!

You mention an upwind smoker. I thought smoking was now banned on balconies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Open balcony doors is an issue on every cruise ship. Despite warning labels on the doors, pleas from the staff, etc. some folks are just selfish, do not give a hoot about anyone but themselves, and leave their balcony door open day and night. There have been some attempts to control this problem with various type interlocks on the doors. The Grand Princess was one of the first to have a balcony door switch that shut down the cabin A/C whenever the balcony door was ajar. But this solved little since folks still would leave their door open (they didn't want A/C and mess up the A/C for entire sections of the ship. Perhaps a piercing alarm (which was activated if a balcony door was ajar for more then X number of minutes) might be an answer. But otherwise...as long as we have self-centered selfish idiots on ships...the problem will continue.

Hank

A number of years ago on a 34-day South Pacific sailing out of San Diego, we had AC problems on the Rotterdam. Since it was January, we didn't realize that there was a problem until we reached our first port in Hawaii. Going further south, the cabin just got hotter every day. They kept trying to fix it, but nothing worked. I believe it was around 80 degrees in the room. We were not the only ones having problems. We got a fan from housekeeping, the last one onboard we were told. It did help with sleeping. I remember that I could not blow dry my hair because it would heat up the cabin too much. After a stop in Tahiti, some cabins opened up (some passengers disembarked and spent a month in Tahiti!) and we were given a veranda room that had great AC for the last 10 cruise days. My advice is to speak to the Guest Relations Manager. In the end, we received a refund in the mail. How it was calculated, I don't know. It was a nice gesture, but I still would have preferred to have a more comfortable cabin for the entire cruise duration. Good luck!

Open balcony doors is an issue on every cruise ship. Despite warning labels on the doors, pleas from the staff, etc. some folks are just selfish, do not give a hoot about anyone but themselves, and leave their balcony door open day and night. There have been some attempts to control this problem with various type interlocks on the doors. The Grand Princess was one of the first to have a balcony door switch that shut down the cabin A/C whenever the balcony door was ajar. But this solved little since folks still would leave their door open (they didn't want A/C and mess up the A/C for entire sections of the ship. Perhaps a piercing alarm (which was activated if a balcony door was ajar for more then X number of minutes) might be an answer. But otherwise...as long as we have self-centered selfish idiots on ships...the problem will continue.

Hank

...Aided and abetted by helpful room stewards, like those on the Rotterdam who supplied rods to hold Lanai doors open, which supposedly slide shut automatically.

On the Oosterdam this year (September/October) our room started to get very warm after a few days cruising. I went to the front desk and nothing happened, so I went back and this time made my case to a lovely Dutch staff member at the desk.

She accompanied me to the room (DW was already there :D haha) and as soon as she went into the room she said 'OMG this is warm! She took the temperature in the room and also at the A/C vent and said 'I am sorry but I can get nothing done now (it was 11pm) but tomorrow morning it will be fixed'

It was! Indeed the volume of air from the A/C vent substantially increased.

Edited by VMax1700

On the Oosterdam this year (September/October) our room started to get very warm after a few days cruising. I went to the front desk and nothing happened, so I went back and this time made my case to a lovely Dutch staff member at the desk.

She accompanied me to the room (DW was already there :D haha) and as soon as she went into the room she said 'OMG this is warm! She took the temperature in the room and also at the A/C vent and said 'I am sorry but I can get nothing done now (it was 11pm) but tomorrow morning it will be fixed'

It was! Indeed the volume of air from the A/C vent substantially increased.

That's good to hear that there is something they can do to increase flow. We just had a lady from the front desk come by and take another temperature reading. She says it's 72 degrees Fahrenheit on the bed. Which is in spec. I can tell you though, 72 in our home compared to this 72 is quite different. It's not horrible in here at the moment (last night it was uncomfortable), but it's just frustrating. On our previous 19 cruises, I can only remember one other room that had AC problems but that only lasted a day if I remember. We've always been able to get the rooms nice and chilly.

This concerns me a bit. We will be on the Westerdam next month and HAL is the only line we've experienced A/C issues. Twice, on the Maasdam, we've had issues with warm cabins and the lack of concern from the front desk.

We will be on deck 6 forward and I'm hopping for a nice cool cabin! We don't sleep well in warm rooms.

I would take a cool inside cabin over a warm suite any day!!

Think Cool.

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

That's good to hear that there is something they can do to increase flow. We just had a lady from the front desk come by and take another temperature reading. She says it's 72 degrees Fahrenheit on the bed. Which is in spec. I can tell you though, 72 in our home compared to this 72 is quite different. It's not horrible in here at the moment (last night it was uncomfortable), but it's just frustrating. On our previous 19 cruises, I can only remember one other room that had AC problems but that only lasted a day if I remember. We've always been able to get the rooms nice and chilly.

The only way the volume of air being moved would increase is if the filter was substantially blocked. Since you have had maintenance there, I would assume (but we all know about assumptions) that they checked the filter as part of the service call.

Hank

Watching the sailaway of the both the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Koningsdam yesterday, I was struck by how many of the balcony doors were wide open. Lots.

We were on the 11/5 cruise in 7115 (starboard) and had no problems, once we closed the curtains when the sun came over to our side of the ship. Sounds like someone's doors are propped open, and the cabin stewards should be able to help with that.

We are just off the Westerdam from the week before you. Our cabin on deck 5 was too cold at first. I had to turn the thermostat well into the "warm" zone to get a comfortable temperature, and I blocked part of the ventilator so that it would blow air directly on us as we slept.

I prefer less air conditioning in general, and firmly believe that sleeping with the AC on leads to the respiratory infections so often prevalent on the ships. I agree that some of the public areas are very cold. I had to wear a sweatshirt in the Queen's lounge.

One thing you can do is to open the throttle above (in the ceiling) the ventilator to increase the airflow. Also, check if someone in your area has their balcony door propped open.

igraf

We are currently onboard the Westerdam and finishing up our first full day at sea. Since we boarded in San Diego yesterday, our cabin (deck 7 verandah) will not cool down to an acceptable level. There is cool air coming out of the small vent, and we've had an engineer come test the air. The engineer said it was acceptable and gave us temperature readings that don't seem accurate at all. I've been to the front desk 3 times asking them if we could switch cabins and they tell us that we have to wait until our first Port in case there are other passengers who missed the ship who join the ship there. They didn't seem very optimistic about it.

Tonight the room is even warmer than last night, and since we are heading south and the outside air is getting warmer and warmer, I don't expect our room to get any better, and possibly even worse (as it has already done).

Granted, my wife and I like it cold when we sleep (and other times of the day), so I can understand this is a subjective thing. However, the Lido Buffet and the Atrium and surrounding public areas are ice cold! The minute you leave the elevator/stairway area and head down our hallway, you can instantly feel the warmer humid air compared to the other public areas of the ship.

Since it appears there is nothing the staff onboard can do for us, I wanted to ask some of you veteran cruisers if you might have any other ideas that we can try to get the room cooler? It's a long shot, but maybe some of you have some ideas.

Other than the lack of air conditioning in our room, and upwind smoker on the balcony next door, the cruise is really nice so far.

Edited by igraf

I meant to say that I blocked part of the ventilator so that it would NOT blow air directly on us as we slept

We are just off the Westerdam from the week before you. Our cabin on deck 5 was too cold at first. I had to turn the thermostat well into the "warm" zone to get a comfortable temperature, and I blocked part of the ventilator so that it would blow air directly on us as we slept.

igraf

What temperature should an ac room be?

The middle setting should bring the temperature to about 70-72º. Some people like it cooler (especially for sleeping), and reducing the setting should allow that option. Similarly, some people like it warmer, and setting the thermostat higher would do that.

HAL's idea of "acceptable" is ridiculously high; the correct word would be "suffer".