Thhinking of trying Oceania in Alaska

Kamloops50

Question to Oceania cruise passengers

have questions but not a lot of answers on the Oceania site.

Looking for info on dress code , restaurants etc. In comparison to Princess , HAL and celebrity.

Edited by Kamloops50

Dress code is pretty simple. There is no formal dress on Oceania. It's Elegant Resort Casual, all the time.

I don't compare cruise lines, so I can't help you there. When I go on Oceania I enjoy it for what it is and what it offers, the same for Celebrity. Of course they're different. My preference is Oceania, but I've enjoyed every Celebrity cruise I've been on.

The best thing to do is try it, and compare it for yourself. It is good to understand going in that it will not have the entertainment of Celebrity or Princess, but it will have superior food and a more laid back and less crowded environment.

Dress code is pretty simple. There is no formal dress on Oceania. It's Elegant Resort Casual, all the time.

I don't compare cruise lines, so I can't help you there. When I go on Oceania I enjoy it for what it is and what it offers, the same for Celebrity. Of course they're different. My preference is Oceania, but I've enjoyed every Celebrity cruise I've been on.

The best thing to do is try it, and compare it for yourself. It is good to understand going in that it will not have the entertainment of Celebrity or Princess, but it will have superior food and a more laid back and less crowded environment.

+1

Oceania will be more expensive and will have a very different feel from the others you mentioned. For some that is wonderful and well worth the money - for others not.

We don't know how you will feel after your first Oceania cruise but you will know that for sure :D

That is the only way to find out.

If you have specific questions about Oceania, many will be happy to answer them.

FWIW, I've cruised on all of them and I prefer Oceania by a wide margin :) (some of them I will probably never return to).

Edited by Paulchili

The cruise line calls itself "A line for Affluent cruisers". What does it mean "Affluent cruisers" are they marketing to a group of people that have above the normal type of person you'll find on Princess or HAL ?

I really have issues with the brochures and pictures that they publish.

They show people dressed fancy on the deck , lounges and in the MDR.

What is the actual demographic on cruise with Oceania.

I don't want to go on a cruise and feel out of place because people are talking about their fancy house & car and the expensive trips every year.

Well I guess I have not seen those ads for "affluent cruisers" :eek:

The ships are smaller & the cabins also

food is better than on our recent HAL cruises but then again food is subjective

You will find people that talk about how much they have on any line

Most passengers in my experience do not show up in sweat suits

Most people are just friendly everyday people

dress casual for daytime some will dress up for dinner with men in a Jacket or suit but not required

DH does not take his blazer anymore

Link to the FAQ's it will answer most of your questions

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Edited by LHT28

67 Oceania Alaska reviews here. Check Reviews top of page Very casual dress.Probably cost twice your mentioned lines. I like O for longer cruises with unique ports and sea days.Its just below Luxury class and above premium to most experienced cruisers. .Some of best food at sea.

The cruise line calls itself "A line for Affluent cruisers". What does it mean "Affluent cruisers" are they marketing to a group of people that have above the normal type of person you'll find on Princess or HAL ?

I don't want to go on a cruise and feel out of place because people are talking about their fancy house & car and the expensive trips every year.

The demographic... the people your likely to meet are people who value quality, service and cuisine. They are professionals and retired professional for the most part, who value the low key atmosphere and being in the company of other well mannered low key people who have the same values and enjoy sharing their travel experiences with one another. Its a more well mammered and considerate group than on Princess or HAL.

Its much more social and with only 500-680 passengers one gets to meet and interact as in a country club or family gathering. Ages will be for the most part 45 up... very few in any families . Its a pretty much couples over 50.

No one is going around with gold chains and an attitude.

The prevailing attitude is if you can afford to cruise on O then whatever you do or did puts you on equal footing. There are no status seekers and outside your cabin all are co-equal. No captains seven star king of the sea club doings, no restricted restaurants, or faux sounding class systems like the others...HAL and Celeb are famous for their faux status games and clubs and classes...... its almost funny to see.

I have met every sort from CEO's of fortune 500 companies to retired plumbers and firemen.and you'd never know who was who.

The word "affluent" means well to do financially.. However, the folks on board regardless of personal means have chosen Oceania to spend their money on because of the value it gives.

Yes it cost more than the other lines but it delivers far more value. No nickel dime sales, ship photographers, pay extra for this or that, and about 1/4 to 1/8th the number of passengers that the other lines pack in.and the No extra cost restaurants 5 of them, all serve lobster every day, even the pool grill serves Lobster and filet sandwiches....all at no extra charge. It is in the opinion of many the finest cuisine at sea of any line.

The dress is country club casual with no dress up or formal nights or gala anything. A collared shirt and slacks with loafers is fine for men... maybe a sport coat at specialties. Ladies do fine in a pant suit. No ties or tux needed, just nice comfortable clothes like you'd wear to a friends home for a dinner..... Yes the ads show higher dress quality.... but thats the exception...just no jeans shorts baseball caps and tee shirts.

Entertainment is minimal and most sail to enjoy conversation with other others who share their interest. Shows are small and low key not garish circus/vegas acts.

Children are scarse as the line tries to discourage them...no programs and you never have to fight for a lounger by the pool...

So....is that you? Is this the company you'd enjoy socializing with over a martini? Or, do you seek the mass market action of gala this formal that, 24/7 round the clock with 2500 to 4000 other passengers...

Up to you amigo

Edited by Hawaiidan

+1

Oceania will be more expensive and will have a very different feel from the others you mentioned. For some that is wonderful and well worth the money - for others not.

We don't know how you will feel after your first Oceania cruise but you will know that for sure :D

That is the only way to find out.

If you have specific questions about Oceania, many will be happy to answer them.

FWIW, I've cruised on all of them and I prefer Oceania by a wide margin :) (some of them I will probably never return to).

As for cost...

Interestingly, it was a comparison of the Alaska "net daily rate" for HAL et al. upper end mass market lines with Oceania that got us started with O. When we looked at all projected costs including airfare, beverages, specialties, OBC/tips deals via TA, Oceania was only about hundred/per person more. One of the best decisions we made regarding cruising.

We have sailed Alaska on both Celebrity and Oceania. Oceania experience far better. Demographic different because Alaska cruises on celebrity e.g. Will have some very cheap cabins. Also small ship much better for experiencing glaciers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love Oceania and have booked O Alaska for 2017. This will be our seventh trip to Alaska, we've taken both land and sea trips.

The drawback to Oceania is lack of Glacier Bay permits, which are controlled by Princess and Holland America. Some Oceania cruises visit Tracey Arm for Glacier viewing, ours does not. But we will visit two smaller ports mainstream cruises seldom visit, Sitka and Wrangell.

You can say "for affluent cruisers" just because it IS more expensive than many lines. (Then again, there isn't much nickel and diming. No photographers. Very few art sales, if any. Some bingo these days.)

But I've never heard anyone talking about their fleet of Mercedes or Rolls Royces. It can be hard to tell if someone is filthy rich or paying the fare was difficult. Interesting people are found in all level of cabins. (Just because someone is sailing on Deck 3 or 4 doesn't mean they are scraping to pay the fare -- they just may not value a spacious cabin as well as some of the rest of us do. I speak myself as one who prefers the spacious cabin but that doesn't make me any better than any one else on board.)

Obviously, we love Oceania and appreciated Renaissance before it. So we're prejudiced.

But you won't find a boat load of snobs on an Oceania cruise. MAYBE one or two! Never say never, after all.

Mura

Agree with Mura.

If one can generalize, most O cruisers are mature adults (whatever that means :D) who are well traveled, friendly, polite and just normal nice people.

Income and such personal items are not usually discussed IME; nor are there any overt displays of lavishness or extravagance.

There could some exceptions to this rule but they are easily spotted and thus easily avoided. :D

There is a children's program on some Alaska cruises, so be sure to check that out if it is important to you. The program is excellent and our 10 year old twin grandsons loved it. There were 19 children on our cruise, most with grandparents or multigenerational family groups.

Mary

There is a children's program on some Alaska cruises, so be sure to check that out if it is important to you. The program is excellent and our 10 year old twin grandsons loved it. There were 19 children on our cruise, most with grandparents or multigenerational family groups.

Mary

Yes, we've looked into the children's programs and they sound excellent. Technically kids 5 and up can participate but we were told the programming is really geared to elementary aged kids. We hope to take the extended family some day.

Have been on10 trips with O and never once heard anything about wealth discussed in a pejorative way. Liked Regatta Alaska so much we went twice on the same route this past summer on Deck 4 and felt no different from our usual Deck 7 or 8. Wonderful and can recommend it for value and enjoyment. We do like a small ship rather than a crammed cruise , we have done princess and Hal and Cunard and Celeb, but find that O suits us best, you will need to determine your own tastes other than flashy brochures which may paint a promo view that does not match up with the reality of an O cruise. Good luck and good sailing.:D

Just out of curiosity where does Oceania refer to themselves as a line for Affluent cruisers?

Question to Oceania cruise passengers

have questions but not a lot of answers on the Oceania site.

Looking for info on dress code , restaurants etc. In comparison to Princess , HAL and celebrity.

We did Alaska last summer on the Regatta and have cruise Alaska on Princess, HAL & Celebrity. It was refreshing that there were very few lines Oceania. No question the food is superior. The casual dress code is also very nice. As for the demographic, it’s old. Most appeared to be enjoying the ship’s atmosphere and socializing rather than Alaska being the priority.

In comparison to the main lines that do Alaska, we were disappointed that the only forward unobstructed viewing was in the spa and only accessible to concierge passengers. A very small area near the hot tub that could accommodate about 8 people at a time. Everyone else looks through glass.

Although we were to dock in each port, in two ports the docks couldn’t accommodate the ship. It took a couple hours before the tide came in before we could disembark via the ramp. They did try to put the ramp out but it was too steep to use. We did tender for a short time but it didn’t appear to be planned. A few excursions departed late.

We cruise more for Alaska than the ship and feel a naturalist would have been nice. Not all lines have one onboard but when they do, it really enhances the trip for us. There was a gentleman who was giving his spiel on Alaska history and wildlife although when asked about humpback whale feeding areas along our route he had no idea.

If you enjoy good food, a wonderful atmosphere for socializing and less about the destination, you’ll enjoy Oceania.

We did Alaska last summer on the Regatta and have cruise Alaska on Princess, HAL & Celebrity. It was refreshing that there were very few lines Oceania. No question the food is superior. The casual dress code is also very nice. As for the demographic, it’s old. Most appeared to be enjoying the ship’s atmosphere and socializing rather than Alaska being the priority.

In comparison to the main lines that do Alaska, we were disappointed that the only forward unobstructed viewing was in the spa and only accessible to concierge passengers. A very small area near the hot tub that could accommodate about 8 people at a time. Everyone else looks through glass.

Although we were to dock in each port, in two ports the docks couldn’t accommodate the ship. It took a couple hours before the tide came in before we could disembark via the ramp. They did try to put the ramp out but it was too steep to use. We did tender for a short time but it didn’t appear to be planned. A few excursions departed late.

We cruise more for Alaska than the ship and feel a naturalist would have been nice. Not all lines have one onboard but when they do, it really enhances the trip for us. There was a gentleman who was giving his spiel on Alaska history and wildlife although when asked about humpback whale feeding areas along our route he had no idea.

If you enjoy good food, a wonderful atmosphere for socializing and less about the destination, you’ll enjoy Oceania.

All cruises are NOT created equal and you must research to find one that fits.

A very good point that many find true, for Oceania is that many folks are on the cruise for the pure pleasure of being on an Oceania cruise, no lines, exceptional cuisine, and ambiance not possible on a mass market 2000+ ship...and ports are sort of frosting on the cake

Indeed many could care less about even getting off the ship even though many do The ship is enough of an attraction and pleasure of and in it's self.

That being said most are also experienced travelers who find lots to do and plan their own thing on and off the ship. For example Fishing charters, river rafting, hiking,....can easily be organized very low key...

Its the low pressure, no hype way to see Alaska...

• 3 weeks later...

Some reasons:

1) Seattle R/T including the real Inside Passage East of Vancouver Island. Very rare for Alaska cruises to offer that combo!

2) Affordable. The 7 day from Seattle is quite a bargain. Both of our cruises were in July in the height of the summer season. Prices were comparable to the megaships at that time of season, without all the BS the megaships entail.

3) We got an air credit by booking out own airfare. R/T from Long Beach to Seattle on Jet Blue is a deal. so the combined price was great. also, Oceania's price includes all of the port taxes. The big carriers, that is in the small print.

4) Small ship. We did Celebrity Solstice the previous year and tendered into Juneau, Enough said!

5) Oceania food is the best on the planet. Believe me!

We were so impressed that less than 6 months later, we are sailing her sister ship Sirena out of San Pedro. Leaving Sunday!