Why does Port Canaveral get the old ships?

Tm100

If I remember correctly, Mariner was the last and only new ship that Royal Caribbean International sent to Port Canaveral. Freedom was several years old when they sent it to Canaveral. Now they upgraded to a seven year old Oasis and replaced Ecnhantment with the old Majesty.

Why not Harmony or Allure?

I didn't mean Oasis was "blah" it just seems like they get the "pre-owned" not the "new".

As you mentioned, they got Mariner brand new. Does every ship deployed to Port Canaveral have to be new? Harmony sailed in Europe before arriving in Port Everglades, so I guess Port Everglades is getting old ships too.

As you mentioned, they got Mariner brand new. Does every ship deployed to Port Canaveral have to be new? Harmony sailed in Europe before arriving in Port Everglades, so I guess Port Everglades is getting old ships too.

Of course not. You know what I'm saying. Lauderdale got Oasis, Allure, essentially Harmony, Independence, etc.

Miami got 3 Voyager class, Freedom, Liberty.

Port Canaveral got Mariner. 14 years ago. Since then it has gotten ships long after the new wore off.

It was said, but Royal made a deal with Port Everglades , promising them so many millions of bodies passing thru and in return they got updated terminals.

That doesn't answer the question. The three ships have almost the same capacity.

It has everything to do with the fact that FLL is a superior Port for Royal's needs. PC is just difficult to get to and there isn't as much to do the night before your cruise. Along with the things others have mentioned.

Bob, I got a major laugh in on the tired old Oasis comment!! Reminds me of a thread just couple of weeks ago.....

That is too funny. In California we sailed on Viking Serenade and Song of America, and Carnival Jubilee, repeatedly. :p

And then we flew to Florida, and I was in awe of Enchantment of the Seas, and what an actual large cruise ship looked like. :D:):D

Beg to differ with many of you. We are tired of driving to Ft. L and paying to stay in a hotel overnight to make certain we don't miss the ship. We can drive to PC in about 2+ hours and no overnight costs.

If coming from out of state or out of US would much rather fly into Orlando than Ft. L or Miami. Have you all forgotten about Disney and Universal and not to mention Kennedy Space Center. For those who enjoy shopping until you drop, Orlando offers superior shopping opportunities.

Lived in Miami for 26 years and in Orlando for 10 years so know both areas well. Don't know the economics of the deal for RCCL but for the consumer, I vote for PC.

Thankfully we have choices to suit our personal needs.

Beg to differ with many of you. We are tired of driving to Ft. L and paying to stay in a hotel overnight to make certain we don't miss the ship. We can drive to PC in about 2+ hours and no overnight costs.

If coming from out of state or out of US would much rather fly into Orlando than Ft. L or Miami. Have you all forgotten about Disney and Universal and not to mention Kennedy Space Center. For those who enjoy shopping until you drop, Orlando offers superior shopping opportunities.

Lived in Miami for 26 years and in Orlando for 10 years so know both areas well. Don't know the economics of the deal for RCCL but for the consumer, I vote for PC.

Thankfully we have choices to suit our personal needs.

We fly to every cruise. Would far rather fly to Miami or FLL vs Orlando. So you are not speaking for everyone.

We don't see much to do in either Orlando or PC for us to fly in a day early and be able to do anything fun. To do any of the sights, you have to spend 3-4 days at a park (as the single day price is rather obnoxious), or get there really early to see the Space Center.

So when we go to PC for a cruise, we end up choosing the really late flight, staying at some strip mall kind of hotel and getting on a shuttle to the ship.

Whereas FLL or Miami- there are things to do in the evening. So we fly early and see stuff. Heck, even the morning runs are FAR more interesting before the cruise.

It may be easier for those who live there. But Orlando/PC offers very little to us- so even with cheaper cruises, we'd choose Ft Lauderdale..

And that's why I think PC does not get brand new ships. Just like Galveston.

Now if RCI started offering cruises in the Great Lakes, then I'd be really all over the difference between a Chicago or a Detroit port. :)

Edited by alfaeric

FLL made a considerable investment with RCI a few years ago.

Also, PC is a pain to get to. Port Everglades is 10 minutes from FLL

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Maybe true for flyers, but I would have to respectfully disagree for anyone that is driving from any of the southern states - there is a huge difference between driving to Port Canaveral and the extra distance down to Port Everglades. The Turnpike south between Orlando and West Palm is 2+ hours of hypnotizing "follow the power lines" driving with occasionally passing by a landfill to watch the buzzards... :(