Ugliest cruise ship afloat?

kwazi07

Epic is horrid.

Anything with a Carnival Funnel makes me laugh. Think PSA Airlines in the 70's. Carnival really needs to start a corporate re-branding.

The new AIDA Prima is interesting with it's straight down bow, but I dig it.

Cyrstal's two ships look as old as their passengers in person.

Interesting that the new Seaside is getting nominations. I love the look. All that open space on the lower decks surrounding the aft pool looks inviting to me. Why have the only open deck space on the top decks?

And then there will be Richard Branson's Virgin Ships, I'm sure there will be a solid love/hate demarcation line once they come out.

Agreed - "exhilaration" gleaned from outside colors and sounds is incompatible with relaxation. To the extent exhilaration can be internally developed (think contemplation, for example) it is a wholly different thing. Contemplation is difficult when surrounded by flashing lights, garish colors and throbbing sounds.

OK, I think some of us might want to chill a bit. I like the colors. I find them relaxing because they represent a fun time and vacation time for me. I don't mind the "noise." I'm a teacher and a cruise is my time to let loose a bit. Our "contemplation time" is on our balcony and, for me, on the lowest open deck I can find when the waves are huge. Love the roar.

So if that's not for you, no problem. I'll probably see you on one of your favorite ships someday, and I'll love them too. For me, any cruise is ---- STILL A CRUISE.

:rolleyes: I don't think anyone is confused. Different people have different opinions. Nothing confusing about that.

Not sure how opinions could be different over the objective definition of words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm intrigued by MSC's upcoming ship, Seaside, but I find it u-g-l-y.

94d6fd07c50ffe66daf5b4b23995f379.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm intrigued as well, and I love it at first sight. It looks like my car which is also not very photogenic but which I like for its features. Like this ship has and I haven't seen it before: outside dining near the sea. I'd love that!

I'm intrigued as well, and I love it at first sight. It looks like my car which is also not very photogenic but which I like for its features. Like this ship has and I haven't seen it before: outside dining near the sea. I'd love that!

If that is a genuine picture of a real vessel, I am starting to think that the time has come for some international penal code to address the problem of criminal ugliness

If that is a genuine picture of a real vessel, I am starting to think that the time has come for some international penal code to address the problem of criminal ugliness

It really isn't as bad as it seems. The concept of lounging and pool areas down low on the ship closer to water level is pretty interesting, especially so close to the wake of the ship. This photo from their website looks promising for a popular area to spend time in. It is actually pretty innovative, and a departure from the typical blunt wall of balcony cabins most ships have these days at the stern.

edit1.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

It really isn't as bad as it seems. The concept of lounging and pool areas down low on the ship closer to water level is pretty interesting, especially so close to the wake of the ship. This photo from their website looks promising for a popular area to spend time in. It is actually pretty innovative, and a departure from the typical blunt wall of balcony cabins most ships have these days at the stern.

Outside dining near the sea is innovative? Not really, not if you look beyond the mass market behemoth ships that try to crowd as many cabins as possible into the aft. (Not to mention the almost criminal placement of lifeboats on newer ships that obscure the public "promenade" deck in order to have fewer cabins with blocked views...but that's another topic.)

At any rate, the small ship I've been sailing on since her (re)launch in 2010 has a lovely dining terrace on the aft, near the sea:

Kusadasi-4438.jpg

Outside dining near the sea is innovative? Not really, not if you look beyond the mass market behemoth ships that try to crowd as many cabins as possible into the aft. (Not to mention the almost criminal placement of lifeboats on newer ships that obscure the public "promenade" deck in order to have fewer cabins with blocked views...but that's another topic.)

At any rate, the small ship I've been sailing on since her (re)launch in 2010 has a lovely dining terrace on the aft, near the sea:

Kusadasi-4438.jpg

Now seeing an Aft close up of the Seaside in the pictures above your post, it appears that area is just an exclusive outside sunning area where the crowds can fight for loungers.

i know some cruisers love true promenades and view that feature as a must have. But, my must have feature is an outside dining option...so we stick with the small ships. What ship is the one in your picture Cruisemom?

Edited by buggins0402

Now seeing an Aft close up of the Seaside in the pictures above your post, it appears that area is just an exclusive outside sunning area where the crowds can fight for loungers.

i know some cruisers love true promenades and view that feature as a must have. But, my must have feature is an outside dining option...so we stick with the small ships. What ship is the one in your picture Cruisemom?

Aegean Odyssey (Voyages to Antiquity). She's getting a refurb over the winter this year, but I was just on her a few weeks ago and the terrace area is better than ever. (Which is a good thing because the main dining room is very enclosed -- good food and service, but not my favorite surroundings...)

For dinner you can order off a limited menu or you can step inside and get items from the buffet. In addition, there is an outside tapas area, and occasionally a pasta station.

It's not a luxury ship, so one shouldn't go in expecting the deluxe touches of one of these lines, but I find it consistently good.

Aegean Odyssey (Voyages to Antiquity). She's getting a refurb over the winter this year, but I was just on her a few weeks ago and the terrace area is better than ever. (Which is a good thing because the main dining room is very enclosed -- good food and service, but not my favorite surroundings...)

For dinner you can order off a limited menu or you can step inside and get items from the buffet. In addition, there is an outside tapas area, and occasionally a pasta station.

It's not a luxury ship, so one shouldn't go in expecting the deluxe touches of one of these lines, but I find it consistently good.

LOL...that was my first cruise ship! In 1996 she was leased to Renaissance Cruise Lines and we picked up on a Northwest Airlines package for a Greek Island cruise. I imagine some who booked expecting a Renaissance ship (which were new at the time) would have been disappointed, but we weren't savvy enough to know the difference.

I just looked up her itineraries. I wonder where she is going in December 2017? They seem to end in November. I'm looking for something warm and exotic for December 2017. Right now I'm leaning toward land India.

LOL...that was my first cruise ship! In 1996 she was leased to Renaissance Cruise Lines and we picked up on a Northwest Airlines package for a Greek Island cruise. I imagine some who booked expecting a Renaissance ship (which were new at the time) would have been disappointed, but we weren't savvy enough to know the difference.

I just looked up her itineraries. I wonder where she is going in December 2017? They seem to end in November. I'm looking for something warm and exotic for December 2017. Right now I'm leaning toward land India.

When she was extensively revamped for her 2010 launch with Voyages to Antiquity, they enlarged most of the cabins -- she used to carry around 550 passengers, but now only 350. The cabins are still on the small size but nicely laid out. Of course, for me two main selling points are availability of solo cabins and the wonderful lecturers onboard.

She has been doing India and Asia itineraries in the winter months (with the exception of this year's refurb, as mentioned) so perhaps you'll find something you like. I did a SE Asia itinerary in 2015 -- one of the best things is that with a small ship you can dock right IN many ports (like Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh city) rather than in the industrial ports that are sometimes an hour or more away....

I'll have to keep an eye out for the itineraries. It looks like she's in Tenerife on November 21....from there it might be just the right amount of time to get her to the part of the world I'm interested in at the end of December. Africa might also be a possibility.

Kusadasi-4438.jpg

And if you got a small enough boat, you get dining even closer to the water. :D

I would imagine a couple of inner tubes and a picnic basket might be perfect for you. ;)

3860.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

Something something, Carnival. Something something Norwegian. I think the view will be fine from my wraparound aft suite in January 2018.

Sounds like the opinion of somebody who thinks Chevy or Ford makes good looking cars.

Outside dining near the sea is innovative? Not really, not if you look beyond the mass market behemoth ships...

I can name at least a dozen mass market behemoth ships that have an outdoor dinging area like that, some of which are even nicer looking than that.

I can name at least a dozen mass market behemoth ships that have an outdoor dinging area like that, some of which are even nicer looking than that.

Keeping in mind the original discussion was about outdoor dining areas that are aft and close to the water (e.g., not 14 floors up), I would like to know what ships you're thinking of. They are not on the lines I've sailed with....

edit1.jpg

It surely is as ugly as it seems. Of course, when you want to haul four or five thousand people around you do have to work hard to have lounging, pool and dining areas closer to the stern and the water.

Of course, the designers of Marco Polo and Prinsendam, to name a couple of less ugly ships still sailing, had it figured. Then, they did not have to cope with the masses most of today's new builds are designed to schlepp around --- another point in their favor.

I'd be interested also. Grills don't count....I'm looking for areas attached to the main buffet, open to everyone, no extra charge or reservations.

No, it is not. It is essentially a double exposure, with the stern of another ship superimposed upon the forward end of a Carnival ship alongside in Miami.

Yes it is. It is an actual Google Earth screen grab from a few years ago. Google's work, not mine. Are you calling me a liar? :D:p

PS: This photo was posted on TO in Feb 2015 ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45636610&postcount=7 ). It dates back to June 2012 (see http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/forum/windjammer-bar-maritime-interest/general-maritime-interrest-from-cruise-to-the-mercantile-marine-and-all-ships-between/108-cruiseships-on-google-earth/page6). Google has since updated it's satellite photos and this Frankenstein photo is no longer on their site.

It's the Carnival Liberty with a Carnival Fantasy class stern. The result of updating some satellite photos of an area, but not all of them.

Ah, it was fun while it lasted! :)

Edited by sloopsailor