Balcony necessity?

MillbrookMom

We would very much like to do an Alaska cruise, but are wondering if a balcony is really necessary? We rarely get balconies as we prefer to put the extra $ into either excursions or more cruises. The only time we have had them were an upgrade from an GTY OV (that was cheaper than an inside) and on our upcoming cruise it was $40 more for person (total for the whole week, not per day) to have a balcony than and inside.

I understand there are many public areas to see things from, but are we really missing out by not booking a balcony? It will mean us waiting a few years or sacrificing other trips to do this.

Thanks in advance.

I love balconies and we did have one for our Alaska trip.

But you can see more from everywhere else on the ship. It's not necessary at all. You should put the money towards excursions. I wouldn't give up the whole trip in exchange for a balcony.

Perfect! That was the answer I was hoping for, but not expecting to get.

on our upcoming cruise it was $40 more for person (total for the whole week, not per day) to have a balcony than and inside.

Is it just two persons? That would be only $80 extra for the cruise. You can compensate for that by bringing lunch and water with you ashore instead of buying it on land.

I would also suggest looking at the roll call for your ship for shared excursions. They would be cheaper than ship excursions.

If you are staying at a hotel pre- or post-cruise, you could look for a slightly cheaper one.

If you can figure out ways to economize $40 per person otherwise, you can enjoy a balcony.

Good luck.

We love balconies but more to sit on and relax.

It's been my experience that at least half the time what you want to see is on the other side of the ship - lol! For sightseeing while cruising, the best place is somewhat you have access to both sides at once like on one of the upper decks where you can walk from side to side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it just two persons? That would be only $80 extra for the cruise. You can compensate for that by bringing lunch and water with you ashore instead of buying it on land.

I would also suggest looking at the roll call for your ship for shared excursions. They would be cheaper than ship excursions.

If you are staying at a hotel pre- or post-cruise, you could look for a slightly cheaper one.

If you can figure out ways to economize $40 per person otherwise, you can enjoy a balcony.

Good luck.

That's not $80 extra for an Alaska cruise, it's out Bahamas cruise next month.

We would very much like to do an Alaska cruise, but are wondering if a balcony is really necessary? We rarely get balconies as we prefer to put the extra $ into either excursions or more cruises. The only time we have had them were an upgrade from an GTY OV (that was cheaper than an inside) and on our upcoming cruise it was $40 more for person (total for the whole week, not per day) to have a balcony than and inside.

I understand there are many public areas to see things from, but are we really missing out by not booking a balcony? It will mean us waiting a few years or sacrificing other trips to do this.

Thanks in advance.

As I bring up your post, I noted that there was a parallel post with EXACTLY the same question 2 posts below yours -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334038

DON

I'll be on b2b Alaska cruises in May. I'll be in an inside studio for the first cruise and an oceanview cabin across the hall for the second cruise. (The OV cost less than an inside, due to a pricing glitch on the cruise line's web site.) I'm spending my money on the Alaska excursions that I've always wanted to do, but hadn't gotten around to on previous Alaska cruises.

Thoughts....

• the inside passage is a great place to have a balcony. Instead of endless sea days away from land.... a balcony gives you hours of opportunity to enjoy the coast.
  • when cruising... do you spend a lot of time outdoors? If so... a balcony would be a great idea. For myself, I prefer the climate controlled inside... my balcony was barely used in August because I found it was too windy and cold. My future Alaskan cruises will be oceanview.
  • I wish more oceanviews were like the Disney Wonder. The Deck 2 windows are something like 4 or 5 feet across. It feels like a climate controlled balcony with savings!

DW and I had a balcony cabin on a north and southbound Alaska Cruise. The balcony was nice but for two weeks it was foggy and raining and we couldn't use the balcony. Therefore, it was a waste of money. We now book inside cabins and use the saved money for extras.

Our only Alaska cruise we had a junior suite with a balcony but that was only because we booked last minute and got an insane military discount (paid $2300 for the both of us). The balcony was handy at the Hubbard Glacier but we were hardly out there at any other times as it was too cold even in mid August. IF we ever went back we would probably target an inside cabin.

Spousal Unit and I booked an inside cabin to save money for excursions. Since the Radiance of the Seas has so many windows, we easily found spots around the ship to enjoy the scenery, including an uncrowded lower deck for Hubbard Glacier viewing. We don't feel that we missed anything - if I were to go on another Alaska cruise, I would stick with the cheapo cabin unless I lucked into some fantastic deal.

As others have said, a balcony is not a necessity for Alaska. We like to be able to move around, from one side of the ship to another, so we get to see more. They do turn the ship around so each side faces the glacier on glacier days, but you can see more out on an open deck where you can move back and forth.

We love balconys, insides are wonderful too (after all your onboard!). However for Alaska, we would go with OV at minimium.

Went to Alaska w/ my parents booking insides. Dad became ill the 1st day and was quarenteened while we cruised the glaciers. He missed the main attraction! At least w/ an OV you would get a view in case you couldn't leave your cabin.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Thanks in advance.

For me, you answered the question yourself.

(I'm happily cruising in an inside cabin & will be even more happy when I'm on a flight tour instead of stuck on a balcony looking at the town because I couldn't afford the balcony & the excursions.)

For me, you answered the question yourself.

(I'm happily cruising in an inside cabin & will be even more happy when I'm on a flight tour instead of stuck on a balcony looking at the town because I couldn't afford the balcony & the excursions.)

Well said! Cruise Critic needs a "Like" button! :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance.

We don't cruise without a balcony...We love to listen to the sounds of the oceans and waves. In the Caribbean we will leave the sliding door open at night. Not sure if we will leave our door open on our upcoming June 2017 Alaska cruise or not but we will spend a lot of time out there. We get a better room rate from RCCL for a balcony and for us...A balcony is a must.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Balcony or not comes down to what do you expect from your trip. Good pro and con answers.

My recommendation is a balcony. Yes, you can see more up on deck and move port to starboard for different views and the weather can have a big affect where you want to be.

Our first cruise was Alaska, early May, and we did the southbound inner passage. We had a balcony (port side) and did spend a fair amount of time out on the balcony. We dressed in layers (we also had hats and gloves) and if we got a bit chilled we just stepped inside our cabin and watch through the glass doors. For Glacier Bay we did go up on deck as well as spending some time in the cabin and balcony. Up on deck it was crowded and very breezy. At times we couldn't get near the railing for a good look.

We are doing Alaska again in 2017 and we have a balcony again. We enjoy balconies.

Which ever way you decide to go enjoy your trip.

We are planning our second trip to Alaska. I am looking for an inside cabin. Last time, we had an ocean view with a large window. What I discovered from the last cruise was we loved being out on the deck. The weather was good. If you are on an upper deck, you can get a 360 degree view. If you are on one of the lower decks, you can see much more than you would on a balcony in your stateroom. Another thing that surprises me is I don't really care for eating in the dining room on my next trip. On our last trip, we would be eating in the dining room and there would be the beautiful scenery outside. I just wanted to hurry up the meal so I could get outside. I am considering eating in the buffet on my next trip so I can sit outside.

For Glacier Bay we did go up on deck as well as spending some time in the cabin and balcony. Up on deck it was crowded and very breezy. At times we couldn't get near the railing for a good look.

This was the mistake. I never recommend the upper outside decks, which I consider poor locations, along with sometimes, plexiglass through views.

Instead, FAR superior are the lower wrap around type outside decks that most ships have. They are covered, simple to get side to side, and I never have any trouble finding rail space.