Ships being retrofitted with scrubbers?

Tm100

Are there any ships not currently being retrofitted with scrubbers except new builds?

In the past few weeks I have seen Oasis, Allure, Enchantment, Independence, and Freedom and all are under construction around the funnels.

When is the estimated completion?

Hi All,

Had to have a look at this thread as "scrubber" has a whole different meaning this side of the pond. :eek:

Pete

Are they only available in the Diamond Lounge? :D:eek:

I hear Thomson has always had scrubbers. :eek:

Edited by John&LaLa

OK, for those of us technically challenged, What is a Scrubber? I presume it is something to clean something. How does it work, what does it look like, why beside govt. regs does a ship need one?

This is worse than talking parts of car. Help us out here.

OK, for those of us technically challenged, What is a Scrubber? I presume it is something to clean something. How does it work, what does it look like, why beside govt. regs does a ship need one?

A scrubber is a lady of the night or a fast lose woman.

Scrubbers decrease pollutants in the ship's exhaust.

See the scrubber funnel in this photo:

1024x1024.jpg

Edited by clarea

Scrubbers remove sulfur dioxide from the engine exhaust. Sulfur is a contaminant in the fuel oil the ships burn. They may also be installing nitrogen oxide reduction catalyst to remove the nitrogen oxides from the exhaust. Nitrogen oxides contribute to ground level ozone. These air pollution control devices are required for compliance with MARPOL.

MARPOL, the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, is concerned with preventing marine pollution from ships. Specifically, Annex VI of MARPOL addresses air pollution from ocean-going ships. The international air pollution requirements of Annex VI establish limits on nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions and require the use of fuel with lower sulfur content, protecting people's health and the environment by reducing ozone-producing pollution, which can cause smog and aggravate asthma. The requirements apply to vessels operating in U.S. waters as well as ships operating within 200 nautical miles of the coast of North America, also known as the North American Emission Control Area (ECA).

Every ship has them

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=216458&d=1325001885

Every ship has them

attachment.php?attachmentid=216458&d=1325001885

Actually, they look more like this.

Oops, just noticed the crew scrubbing the stack. My bad. Anyway, enjoy the Freedom Scrubber pics.

enhance

And, several months later, like this

enhance

Edited by John&LaLa
Did not notice the details in setsails reference.

Actually, they look more like this.

Oops, just noticed the crew scrubbing the stack. My bad. Anyway, enjoy the Freedom Scrubber pics.

enhance

And, several months later, like this

enhance

Thanks for the before/after

Those guys look tiny up there:)

Do I understand?

In very simple terms rather than just letting all that black diesel exhaust go straight up to the sky .... {the black come from solid particles of 'bad stuff'} ....

It gets cooled and rinsed in the 'scrubber' by passing thru water sprays ... this causes a lot of the solid pollutants to fall with the water where they can be separated from the cooling water & collected for safer disposal (sludge)

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks to all who graciously answered my question. Now I know. Do I understand?

OK, think of this. It lets them burn cheaper fuel. :o

Multi-million dollar project that should pay for itself in 1.5 - 2 years.

Plus it makes them feel good about doing their part to reduce pollution.

Do I understand?

In very simple terms rather than just letting all that black diesel exhaust go straight up to the sky .... {the black come from solid particles of 'bad stuff'} ....

It gets cooled and rinsed in the 'scrubber' by passing thru water sprays ... this causes a lot of the solid pollutants to fall with the water where they can be separated from the cooling water & collected for safer disposal (sludge)

That's the way I understand it.

Okay, as usual, the Capt has it right, but let me clarify some statements by others:

1. "all ships have them" is not correct. Not even is it correct that all ships must have them. The US ECA requires either a scrubber to allow burning higher sulfur fuel (cheaper), or the use of low sulfur diesel fuel within the ECA. Cruise ships are in the process of fitting scrubbers, but not all ships will eventually have them, and if the ship does not sail within one of the ECA's (North Sea, Baltic, or US), then they are not required.

2. There are two types of scrubbers, single engine and multi-engine. RCI has decided to go with the multi-engine type, which only requires two scrubbers per ship, but bigger ones than the single engine type, but that require more work and longer installation. Typically, it should take about a year for a multi-engine install, Freedom got set back by a fire up there during installation.

3. Scrubbers do not reduce NOX emissions. They do reduce SOX (sulfur oxides) emissions. The design of the engine, its intake and turbocharger determine NOX emissions. Scrubbers do not reduce ozone emissions, only burning less fuel can do that.

4. As the CAPT says, they essentially "scrub" the exhaust gas by spraying sea water into the exhaust (many power plants ashore do this in their big cooling towers). This precipitates out the particulates and the sulfur dioxide, which when it combines with water forms sulfuric acid. Now, sulfuric acid and steel are not a good mix, so an alkali is mixed with the sea water to neutralize the acid.

5. Some scrubbers are "closed loop" and others are "open loop" (kind of like PVSA cruises :p). Closed loop separates the pollutants from the water, and reuses the water. Open loop just returns the water from the scrubber to the sea. I'm no chemist or marine biologist, but it is felt that the sulfuric acid in the sea water is better than in the air.

6. The payback on scrubbers depends on how much time the ship spends in the US ECA, as they are free to bypass the scrubber and continue to burn the high sulfur fuel when outside the ECA. The NCL Pride of America, which spends 100% of her time in the ECA, has a payback period of 4-5 years. A scrubber costs $1-1.5 million per engine.

As one who has spent 40 years at sea, and seen the advances in pollution prevention, and who has to deal with maintaining the equipment, and keeping the records, I applaud the US ECA, even though it causes me problems every working day of my life, as my ship also spends 100% of its time in the ECA. It not only makes the cruise lines "feel good" it actually does reduce pollution.

And if they didn't burn the cheaper fuel, your cruise fares would go up, with the attendant whining.

Sort of reminds me of whether you burned coal dug in western PA or coal dug in eastern PA. As long as it doesn't harm the sea life and keeps the air cleaner to breather is must be ok.

Love it when those who have real knowledge provide the answers to questions. A pleasure to read your replies.