San Diego Cruise port

ovchamp

We will be boarding the Westerdam on December 17th in San Diego. How efficient is the Check in compared to Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is very efficient. thanks!

We've sailed from SD twice and to put it mildly, they need work! Last time with two HAL ships it was a nightmare, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree that it wasn't the best we've experienced. There was some issue that delayed boarding for hours while a mob of passengers sat around... which then resulted in a shift change for the stevedores. Union rules, they walked off with bags left on the pier....which meant the ship had to wait until another crew could be brought in to finish....so then we were then late arriving at Our first port. Hilo.

It's a shame because the city itself is so nice as a place to spend a couple of days pre-cruise.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We will be boarding the Westerdam on December 17th in San Diego. How efficient is the Check in compared to Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is very efficient. thanks!

It is not efficient at all! Porters are a problem and Port Security is a problem. They are the worst we've encountered all over the world. Totally disorganized and oblivious to the task at hand.

Once you have waited (and likely waited some more) to get through them however, embarkation staff contracted by HAL to check you in is fairly efficient and similar to Fort Lauderdale.

Worst embarkation port I have ever been through, all over the world.

Once you can find someone to take your bags (hopefully to the correct ship, if more than one ship is in), and can get inside, then things do improve somewhat.

I will never embark there again.

We are thinking about using one of these VIP services and send our luggage ahead. Wondering if anyone has used such a service and does that help eliminate the problem in San Diego? We will be spending the night before the cruise in San Diego, but our check in luggage would go right to the ship/pier. .

Love San Diego, hate the embarkation! Here is an excerpt from my blog (Westerdam April 2016 cruise).

Not the best embarkation day ever which is why my entry is late.

Things started out fine. My Cruise Critic friend, Georgina, had arranged for a van to transport us and our luggage to the pier for $8 each. The driver showed up on time but was unable to take us directly to the terminal only in front of it. That meant we had to wheel our luggage through a check-in point and across a driveway to the luggage carts. Inconvenient but not bad.

It took thirty minutes to wait in line for security and then wait in line to register my bottle of wine. Then the long line to check-in which took fifty minutes. By then my back was in agony (walking hurts it but standing is worse). While I was in line the first boarding group (suite passengers) was called at 12:05. Something different - they collected passports for the duration of the cruise at check-in. My group was called at about 12:35 but again there was a wait of about twenty minutes to get the elevator up (it was that or walk up two flights of stairs).

There are three hotels across the street. The Wyndam Hotel (used to be a Holiday Inn) and the newly opened Renaissance Inn/Sprinhill Suites complex....two hotels in one building.

Until Holland America Line initiates assigned boarding times, you will find long lines. Disney, Celebrity, Carnival all have resorted to this solution in order to make embarkation a more pleasant experience.....and it works.

David

P.S. Some post on this thread are years old....improvements have been made; however, you should avoid any time there are 2 ships on the same day.

The best advice is to arrive between 2 pm and 3 pm.....yes even for a 4 pm sailing.

Edited by DAllenTCY

What's the name of the hotel across the street? I'm thinking of doing the same you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wyndham Bayside - we are staying there before boarding Westerdam in February.

I'm disappointed to hear about the ongoing poor management. In 2006 I boarded Oosterdam the same day a smaller HAL ship was sailing, and I recall an endless line.

It isn't the HAL check in, it is the security check-in that was the nightmare when we last used SD for the Amsterdam Tales of the South Pacific - not anything HAL can do about this.

Biggest problem is when there is more than one ship in port - everyone has to line up together and slowly get past security and finally get to the HAL check-in desk. We shared our SD embarkation day with one of those huge ships from another cruise line.

Check one of the "who's in port" calendar websites to see who else might be embarking that same day. That will give you a bit of warning what you might expect.

Recent disembarkation at San Diego from Panama however was very speedy.

Edited by OlsSalt

OVChamp asked how efficient "check-in" is in San Diego is. Well, once you are inside the building, check-in itself is quick and efficient. Have never had any trouble there.

The weekend of November 5th had both Veendam and Westerdam in port and both leaving that day. Yes, bedlam, mayhem. Our hotel brought us to the port about 11:55 am, arriving as suggested. Our driver managed to get onto the pier as he had two Veendam passengers and two Westerdam passengers. We were on the W-dam and let out first. Within a minute I found a porter but had to make sure our luggage got on the right ship, correcting him more than once as he was interrupted. Anyway, then the long line outside which was combined with the V-dam. By 1 pm we got inside and health info and security lines moved along pretty good, really couldn't complain. Finally to the window and that was very efficient, very quick, very pleasant. So -- if two ships are in port and also leaving the same day, you will encounter the mayhem situation we found.

However, many times we've sailed out of San Diego, and this was the first time I've encountered such a messy situation. Usually arrive at the port at 11:30 and am on board by 12 noon.

Marianne

Until just a few years ago, shoreside operations in San Diego were under the direction and supervision of Holland America; check-in staff and supervisors were employees of HAL. It was like this for 12+ years, and San Diego received top ratings in passenger surveys. And then....

HAL decided to cut costs and laid off their San Diego shoreside employees.

HAL then contracted with Intercruises, an international company that specializes in shoreside services and staffing. The majority of the original HAL staff (not all) opted not to work with Intercruises, because of lower wages, and Intercruises' reputation for disorganization, which projected a poor representation of the cruise line.

It's disappointing to hear of poor passenger experiences in San Diego, considering it used to be one of HAL's highest rated ports.

While you can talk all you want about bad experiences in the past, improvements have been made within the past few weeks. All new security screening devices have been installed and the waiting area has new cushioned seating. An escalator is next, probably functional in February.

David

While you can talk all you want about bad experiences in the past, improvements have been made within the past few weeks. All new security screening devices have been installed and the waiting area has new cushioned seating. An escalator is next, probably functional in February.

David

Good to get this update- noticed they were not using the "new" terminal when we arrived a few weeks ago (the Westerdam-Veendam day). so they must be working on its sadly obvious prior deficiencies. We love leaving from SD and also being able to take the train -coming and going is best - this time we used the train only after we disembarked.

But being able to arrive in SD was a big part of why we made last cruise itinerary choice. Even though our last departure from SD was a real nightmare - two years ago.

Looking forward also to a much smoother connection between the train station too in the future which is still a work in progress we learned - to the time when we can just roll right over (Or even better under like in Europe) all those multiple tracks outside the Santa Fe station and be on our way.

We have watched the SD waterfront change over the past 8 years and it is all quite fabulous, so good job SD. We too look forward to a happy new relationship with HAL and SD and the increasing Mexican Riviera options.

What really blew our minds on our most recent cruise last month were all the post-hurricane changes in Cabo - wow - I felt it had been transformed into a very chic European village port.

Loved walking the cleaned up port side promenade out to the Hacienda Hotel for the most luxurious setting and lunch - not the Cabo I have long known since my first trip there in the 1990's. And its sad destruction after the recent hurricane a few years ago, but wow, what a comeback. And then some.

With the new colorful sparkle and safety in the Centro Historico of Mazatlan, the chic glamour now of Cabo port side, and the always lovely Puerto Vallarta, the San Diego cruise port is making a very good investment to be the best port for very pleasurable and repeatable Mexican cruise holidays.

Edited by OlsSalt

David

You've been defending the indefensible for years now. It's as if the procedures there are under your direction, if not design.

When passengers who actually use the port start posting about "improvements", then I will start to listen. So far, there haven't been any such reports.

You've been defending the indefensible for years now. It's as if the procedures there are under your direction, if not design.

When passengers who actually use the port start posting about "improvements", then I will start to listen. So far, there haven't been any such reports.

Well said, Ruth. I don't understand why the constant denials instead of suggesting improvements, in the face of so many negative reports.

I'm not sure I understand your message....I've been at the port 3 times in the past 9 days.

I'll be there twice more this week. I enjoy working there.

Here are improvements that I would direct, if I had any say....but I don't:

1. Non-US citizens who are 30 min. late for disembarkation will be fined $2,500 each

2. Only colors or numbers which have been called will be allowed off the gangway

3. Check-in times will be assigned pre-cruise....boarding numbers issued

4. All luggage tags will be RFID coded, so location can be detected

David

P.S. The "new" terminal is a total failure....too small....too much space for CBP and little for check-in....a VIP area that seats only 20.....escalator that is too narrow.....only one elevator....one lane for delivery trucks....space only for 4 buses.....no room for taxi or shuttles...etc. One captain said that the tie up lines were too short on the stern, so he will not berth there. Since you've asked my thoughts, I'll suggest that Broadway be widened to the south and west by 100 feet, allowing for many of the shortcomings to be addressed. Once that is accomplished, I'm going to say let's double deck the B Street Pier. Check-in can be done upstairs, with a large waiting room and VIP lounge. (My office will be on the north west corner with a great view of the airport.) If I have my way, Southwest Airline will move to North Island and share with the Navy. The current terminal will be connected by an underground shuttle train which runs every 5 minutes. San Diego will then be able to handle twice as many flights, and new cruise ships which accommodate 5,000 guests. Two ships on the same day will be easily handled by a shoreside staff making $15/hr. I'm glad that you asked me.

OK we get it - San Diego is a wonderful port (it is) with no problems, we are all imagining it, and the only true fact is you love working there!

I have personally been on ships where the issue has not been the port workers, or the non-US passengers not turning up for clearance, but with the lack of US Immigration officers, or not enough of them. Alternatively, the was one time when everything went in an orderly fashion for clearance, no delays (they sent enough officers) but the embarkation process for those boarding that day was a nightmare.

I hope they can get things running smoothly because I love visiting San Diego, it is a beautiful city.

I boarded the Zaandam on OCT 2...only ship there on a sunday afternoon.

Very fortunate to be four star and get moved to front of check in lines. From what i saw the lines were crazy long with everyone standing rather than sitting and some very frustrated and angry people were not happy with the lack of organization. One of the worst I have seen.