Transportation from Airport to Hotel - Fort Lauderdale

sennertd

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, boarding the Coral Princess on Monday. The hotel has a shuttle for $9/person - 2 of us. Would a taxi be cheaper? We are staying at the Embassy Suites.

Also - is Discover accepted in the port cities or is it best to stay with Visa/MC/AE?

Thanks! Starting to pack!!

Donna

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, boarding the Coral Princess on Monday. The hotel has a shuttle for $9/person - 2 of us. Would a taxi be cheaper? We are staying at the Embassy Suites.

Also - is Discover accepted in the port cities or is it best to stay with Visa/MC/AE?

Donna

There are so many hotels that have free shuttle service. Taxi will be cheaper.

Donna

Most taxi will run about $25 from FLL to most hotels. Some hotels have shuttles to the pier for free or a nominal amount.

I have never paid $25 to take a taxi to hotels in the 17th Street area.

Taxi's to that area should only be around $10-$15. I believe when we take the cab all the way from the port to airport it's only around $15 and the hotels are along the way.

Discover is not widely accepted outside of the USA.

It is supposed to be accepted anywhere Diners Club is accepted, but Diners Club is also not widely accepted overseas.

We're from a small town in Iowa. I am an Uber Virgin! :-)

Just download the app, register with Uber and provide payment card information. If you do all that before you arrive, all you will have to do is open the app and request a ride from the airport to the hotel.

It will probably cost the same as a cab, but Uber drivers' cars are much cleaner and Uber drivers are very accommodating and service oriented. I've ridden with Uber in a number of major cities and have always been pleased.

Discover is not widely accepted outside of the USA.

It is supposed to be accepted anywhere Diners Club is accepted, but Diners Club is also not widely accepted overseas.

That's true, Discover is mostly a domestic U.S. card. They are starting to make inroads internationally, but adoption overseas is slow going. Discover keeps a list of international locations which accept the card on their web site. You may want to check that out. Visa/MC is still most widely accepted internationally.

This is very important; be sure to tell your card issuing banks that you will be using the card internationally so their fraud monitoring systems don't lock out your card when a transaction comes through from an international location.

Also remember, many Caribbean nations are fraud havens, so be wary of where you use your card. U.S. Dollars are often accepted currency in Caribbean ports, so don't be afraid to bring with you cash. Many vendors in port cities will list prices in both U.S. and local currencies, often times prices are at par

Some additional Comments:

Taxis are right at the airport and as others have stated the cost is around $15 to the Embassy Suites on SE 17th St.

The shuttle you mention is probably a group shuttle that goes to various pick up locations around the airport and may also drop off a various hotels on SE 17th St. and nearby.

When you go from the Embassy Suites to the pier a group shuttle cost about $8/pp. A taxi is the min. fare of $10 for two people and goes directly to your ship.

Some have mentioned Uber. I am not trying to recommend one way or another, but, I believe you have to have a smart phone to call in Uber Service. We personally still use a prepaid phone which meets our requirements. We do this because cell service in the area where we live is very limited and when you get a signal it is usually one bar. We have found Ft Lauderdale taxis to be clean and never had any issue with the drivers.

Uber ! About $10 to the 17th street area. I've never had a pleasant cab experience in FLL ! Uber on the other hand has always been good

I have never not had a pleasant experience with cabs in FLL. It is usually $13 to the Renaissance on 17th street. However just to change things up I think I will try Uber next week.

We're from a small town in Iowa. I am an Uber Virgin! :-)

I come from a town that doesn't really have taxis much less uber SO I did extensive research, we will need uber in a few weeks from MIA to 17th st Hyatt, long story short....

If you were coming in to MIA I would defiantly recommend uber, BUT I have done the fll to 17th street ,taxi would be my recommendation. And hotel's shuttle the following morning

I come from a town that doesn't really have taxis much less uber SO I did extensive research, we will need uber in a few weeks from MIA to 17th st Hyatt, long story short....

If you were coming in to MIA I would defiantly recommend uber, BUT I have done the fll to 17th street ,taxi would be my recommendation. And hotel's shuttle the following morning

You might try these guys. We use them quite often between MIA and Ft Lauderdale.

https://www.fortlauderdaletransfers.com/

Edited by Colo Cruiser

• 9 months later...

Nothing wrong with Uber (other than their internal culture which the new CEO can hopefully reform), but don't forget about Lyft. We used them from, airport, to ship, and everything in between this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A taxi from the Embassy Suites on SE 17th St. to the pier is the minimum fare plus tip. Minimum fare last time I was there was $10. That is for two, not per person like a shuttle. If the light is long it may be a few dollars more. The Embassy Suites is very close to the port, under 1 mile. There will probably be taxis in the pull through at the front door. If none are there just walk out to the street and flag one down. Your ship should be at pier 2. Port Everglades posts pier assignments on line 7 days before.