What are your ship must do & must eats?

aotmc

not to derail the topic - but the food just isn't what it used to be. There isn't much that I "must have"... except for the krentenbollen (raisin buns). the only part of the kitchen that has always impressed was the bakery.

To do... being on my verandah. It's what I dream about. for breakfast, with a cocktail, just to enjoy the view....

not to derail the topic - but the food just isn't what it used to be. There isn't much that I "must have"... except for the krentenbollen (raisin buns). the only part of the kitchen that has always impressed was the bakery.

To do... being on my verandah. It's what I dream about. for breakfast, with a cocktail, just to enjoy the view....

I actually find the food to be better than it had been. The menus are certainly more varied in the options.

Though there was still a night on my last cruise where nothing is sounding good for dinner so I had to go with the always available menu.

I actually find the food to be better than it had been. The menus are certainly more varied in the options.

Though there was still a night on my last cruise where nothing is sounding good for dinner so I had to go with the always available menu.

Agree, we find the food fresher, more creative, more varied and more adventuresome. Not quite great because that was never expected, but always good. And lately, very speedy. Well under an hour in the MDR - appetizer to desert.

What ellieanne and OlsSalt said.

If you are in the MDR and get something unpalatable, your dining stewards will be so happy to rush you something else; in the Lido it's up to you of course. The only way you'll have to eat something you don't like is if you decide to. Sometimes meat is tough! Sometimes sugarfree desserts are flavorless! (Sometimes I too have just ignored it and let it ride... but I don't condemn the chef for it.)

They have. Tableside service was missing for only a brief period.

With all the days you sail HAL every year (per your posts), I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Our PG Caesar Salad was not made tables-side on Amsterdam, maybe they do it on other ships. The PG on Amsterdam just seems generally underwhelming to me. The salad was very good but brought from the kitchen and placed on the table with a smile.

I look for the chocolate purse, best dessert! Have to have the rack of lamb. Love the Dutch breakfast treat in the morning, the brown bread with cheese and herring... can't get that many places in the world.

And I like team trivia, for the people. Have to soak in Adagio stings. Walking the LP deck, and swimming in the pool when its rocking a bit, that's exciting! Sailaway at sunset, sta gazing from deck 10. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

What ellieanne and OlsSalt said.

If you are in the MDR and get something unpalatable, your dining stewards will be so happy to rush you something else; in the Lido it's up to you of course. The only way you'll have to eat something you don't like is if you decide to. Sometimes meat is tough! Sometimes sugarfree desserts are flavorless! (Sometimes I too have just ignored it and let it ride... but I don't condemn the chef for it.)

Ohh, I know the stewards go out of their way to get you something you will like in the dining room. One meal one of my table mates tried three separate main dishes before finally getting a plate made of the various potato side dishes from the main dishes for that evening. We still joke about the stewards pointing to other's meals and conforming that what my table mate wanted was "potato, potato, potato."

I'll never eat something I don't like. But sometimes, it starts with the menu for the evening. Sometimes, there is nothing on the menu that sounds good -- the last gala night on my last cruise was like that. I can't remember what was on the menu, but I know none of it was sounding good to me. I ended up with a cup of French Onion soup and a Baked Potato from the "Always Available" menu.

ellieanne

I know! How do they do that? One night I'm in a quandary because I can't choose between 3 or 4 items, the next night, not a one of the specials and back to onion soup and sirloin/strip! Oh dear!

First world problem for sure, but it does happen repeatedly.

ellieanne

I know! How do they do that? One night I'm in a quandary because I can't choose between 3 or 4 items, the next night, not a one of the specials and back to onion soup and sirloin/strip! Oh dear!

First world problem for sure, but it does happen repeatedly.

Have had this happen and the steward saw us trying to decide so took our orders and also brought 2 extra entries for the table to share. Have had a 'side' of entrée #2 without all the fixings which was wonderful. The salmon on the everyday menu is quite good and I love a Caesar salad and a baked potato any time.

I love the bread. And the butter.

Good thing I do because......

It seems that every time we would eat dinner in the Lido they would be out of most items ( or they were scrapping the pans for food to pass out).

This really is unacceptable, they should serve ALL the food until closing time.

So twice I just ate rolls, butter and some veggies.

Good to hear things are better. I've been unimpressed the last few cruises.

Good to hear things are better. I've been unimpressed the last few cruises.

Not sure what you were expecting - this is still a mass produced banquet food operation. And in this context, there have been nice changes in choice, variety and presentation. I think what you got on your last few cruises will be close to what you will find on your next ones.

I do enjoy HAL's croissants as well as all of their bread items, i.e. muffins. danish. In the MDR, I have yet to be disappointed in any fruit Crisp that I have ordered. The Dive-in burgers as well as the French Fries are delicious!

I enjoy trying to get to the darkest on-deck area of the ship that I can safely find in order to marvel at the night sky. Sometimes, if I have a veranda stateroom, the view from my veranda suffices.

It used to be the buttermilk chicken, breaded boneless white meat that melted in you mouth. The last cruise it was thighs and legs, not the same experience, hope they go back to the original.

Dive in anything!!!

Make to order pasta and omelettes.

Walking the Promenade deck, early in the morning and at dark.

Mojitos made with soda, any kind!

Cooking lesson with the chef!

A couple of people have mentioned the fruit crisps...I've tried a couple of them and found them to be dry, so I've quit ordering them.

As far as the legs and thighs vs. chicken breasts, I've found the last couple of years that less expensive cuts of meat are being used in dishes. For instance, pork buco instead of veal buco. It's still tasty, but obviously HAL like every other line is looking for ways to cut cost.

Roz

A couple of people have mentioned the fruit crisps...I've tried a couple of them and found them to be dry, so I've quit ordering them.

As far as the legs and thighs vs. chicken breasts, I've found the last couple of years that less expensive cuts of meat are being used in dishes. For instance, pork buco instead of veal buco. It's still tasty, but obviously HAL like every other line is looking for ways to cut cost.

Roz

Cutting costs or keeping passenger prices down to remain competitive. Don't we all assume prices for most everything goes up, and that things will change but the entry price point for the customer still has to remain attractive? I'll let Seattle worry about this. Cruise on, HAL

Cutting costs or keeping passenger prices down to remain competitive. Don't we all assume prices for most everything goes up, and that things will change but the entry price point for the customer still has to remain attractive? I'll let Seattle worry about this. Cruise on, HAL

cheerleaders-3912_zps5jkv1coa.gifcheerleaders-3912_zps5jkv1coa.gifcheerleaders-3912_zps5jkv1coa.gif

Agree, we find the food fresher, more creative, more varied and more adventuresome. Not quite great because that was never expected, but always good. And lately, very speedy. Well under an hour in the MDR - appetizer to desert.

DH favorite lunch is a salad from the Lido with a piece of fish from the buffet on top. He uses fresh lemon rather than salad dressing.

At home DH is a very simple to cook for partner - a meat, a vegetable and a salad nightly - no sauces or upscale add-ons.

Thus, on a cruise I make it a "rule" to order things in the MDR that I never, ever cook at home - sauces and all :D

I think because of that I don't find the menu as run of the mill as many others.

I used to think the club sandwich was the bee's knees until a few yrs. ago when I had one on the Westerdam that was deli meat and cheese. I've not ordered one since.

Roz

Just had one, my ritual one on every cruise, on the Veendam and it was still the grand classic as it should be, and this time with the crusts trimmed off too.

That plus the room service French Onion Soup - my own go-to, must do's.

Do: Cooking class and then eating that same meal in the Pinnacle. You can't eat the food you made, but it is still fun to do.

Eat: We love eating almost all of our dinners in the Pinnacle. With the attentive service, quiet atmosphere and less hustle and bustle it works for us. The really special meals like the 7 course Chef's Table, or Le Circue are a no miss for us. Also, lunch in the Pinnacle, for the price you can't beat it.

PS: Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Edited by RandyinDEN