MIA flight out at 9:30 AM

tucho

Haven’t cruise in a couple of years, going on the Glory in January. Wondering if we can make 9:30 fight out of Miami when we dock on the return. We are platinum so be one of the first off is not a problem. I know the itinerary said 800 am arrive. it’s a Sunday morning so traffic shouldn’t be that bad. Anyone attempted this feat with success?:confused:

Haven’t cruise in a couple of years, going on the Glory in January. Wondering if we can make 9:30 fight out of Miami when we dock on the return. We are platinum so be one of the first off is not a problem. I know the itinerary said 800 am arrive. it’s a Sunday morning so traffic shouldn’t be that bad. Anyone attempted this feat with success?:confused:

You are going to get people say it is posssible and yes they have made it. The question becomes the what ifs and would/do you have a blackup plan.

Here's what could go wrong.

Diverted for med emergency

Customs not clearing ship right away

Accident on way to airport no matter how minor

Crew inspection time ( they happen from time to time with no warning)

Being pulled out of customs to inspect you belongings.

Do you want to spend the last night worrying about making it, your stress level will rise!

I live here and I wouldn't attempt it. If the ship is on time it still has to clear customs before disembarkation can start. MIA can be a mess even on a Sunday morning. You need to be at the airport at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before your flight to get through security which means you have to be there before the ship might even be docked. Find something later in the day or stay in Miami overnight and take that flight the next day.

If you do self assist it is easily doable pending nothing out of the ordinary goes wrong. I constantly take early flights and have never had an issue. Last month I was at my gate well before 8AM (as I have been numerous times before) and it was the dreaded D60 which is as far away as you can possibly get from when you enter the terminal.

Last month on Paradise from Tampa, I was one of the first off of the ship. We were delayed by customs and I did not get to my shuttle until 9:00am and this was only a short delay.

Good luck on that 9:30am flight. I wouldn't take a flight that early. I don't need that kind of stress at the end of a cruise.

Also keep in mind, you cannot just show up for the flight at 9:30am. 9:30am is the time the plane pushes back from the gate. You need to present yourself at the gate no later than 20 minutes before departure time. If you are not there, your seat will be given to stand by passengers and airline employees flying as non revenue.

Out of curiosity, with all of the above replies, are you still willing to take the chance?

Can it be done? Yes

Is it a good idea? No

I'm Platinum and even with early debarkation there are times that I haven't been able to get off the ship until close to 10:00am. Other times I've been off the ship early enough to make an 8:30am flight.

My piece of advice? Book a later flight and if on the day you return you get off the ship fast enough, then standby on an earlier flight. Many airlines allow you to do so, some for free and some for a small fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used to love to cruise out of Miami, but since they expanded MIA airport, getting through the airport is a huge hassle. Gates are much further away from check-in than they used to be, and signage is poor. You might make 9:30, but personally I would not want to try to make it. That's from someone who made a 9:30 flight out of FLL after a Conquest cruise a couple weeks ago.

I would say it is possible...if all the stars and planets align just right. Would I ever attempt it? Absolutely not! never! We had an 11:30 flight out once and I was chewing my nails. We generally never book flight before noon if we are flying out the day of debark.