Grand injured

PonyPair

Scheduling?

As well as the winning bid for the contract?

I don't see a ship currently in the dock at BAE in SF, but it may not have its AIS turned on, or there may be a ship that just left, and they are resetting the blocks for the next. There is a tanker in the yard, but I don't think it is in the large drydock.

Vigor has been very agressive with bidding over the last couple of years.

I think Princess has already released what the passengers will be compensated for this cruise.

I know . . . I've been reading this thread all along.

I was sharing HOW the compensation was given because there were questions about it. Please allow others to join the discussion as they choose. :rolleyes:

There were some pallets of flooring I saw on one of the top decks. I was also told that our ship left SF a little late on Nov 23rd because of carpets rolls being loaded. So there were some materials aboard that they could start working with on the trip to Portland.

grand1.jpg

grand2.jpg

In the second photo we can see the tender platform that was damaged, but I got the photos off the web and the resolution wasn't that good so can't really zoom in. Below is a photo of the dry-dock empty.

grand3.jpg

Edited by p_mori7

Hi All. Semi cruise newbie here. For my first cruise, we did the SF to Alaska cruise a few years back on our anniversary. It was fun, so we decided to go South this time, to Mexico from SF.

So, with the development of the shortened itinerary, is anyone else considering cancelling out? Yes, it is late in the day to cancel out on a vacation but I am not too happy with the choice of ports eliminated. Puerta Vallarta I kind of really wanted. And as I understand it, Ensenada is nothing, so essentially we are giving up something like 1.5 ports then. Since I booked through Costco, I called them and Princess and their respective suggestion was to not cancel based on the things they are giving back but what do you guys think (esp those who are actually going too)?

I am leaning on going and just making the best of it but if I can find a last minute week in Hawaii I might do that instead and cruise next time to Mexico.

I would love to hear what the seasoned cruisers think of the credits offered.

Thank you!

My understanding is that there will be a 100% penalty for any cancellations despite the massive downgrade in cruise experience. Having said that if there was any chance I would be able to cancel without penalty (were I in your shoes) I definitely would cancel. For us the hassle of flying (even though only a 2.5 hour flight), the cost of transfers, etc. just isn't worth it for only an 8 day cruise. Adding Ensanada is a non-port (IMHO) in that there is so little of interest there, so you really are missing out on two better ports. I have no doubt the '8' days will be wonderful, but being reduced from 10 days would be a deal breaker for us.

Edited by FengShui@Sea

My understanding is that there will be a 100% penalty for any cancellations despite the massive downgrade in cruise experience. Having said that if there was any chance I would be able to cancel without penalty (were I in your shoes) I definitely would cancel. For us the hassle of flying (even though only a 2.5 hour flight), the cost of transfers, etc. just isn't worth it for only an 8 day cruise. Adding Ensanada is a non-port (IMHO) in that there is so little of interest there, so you really are missing out on two better ports. I have no doubt the '8' days will be wonderful, but being reduced from 10 days would be a deal breaker for us.

I'd consider shortening an itinerary by two days a change that would warrant cancellations without penalty. However, being so close to departure date, I guess they figure they would not be able to resell all the rooms vacated due to cancellations.

Thought you all might be interested in what we Portlanders did this afternoon, esp those of you sailing on the abbreviated cruise with us next week. We've had this cruise booked for a year and the news about losing two good ports is disheartening, but if PCL is willing to pay our change fees to Alaska Airlines, we're going to happily fly to SF to board in just a few days, if only to escape yucky winter weather!

I have a very good waiter friend (5 cruises) who is on the Grand and whom I wanted to invite to dinner if we could find him. Knowing it was a needle in a haystack, we got as far as the guard shack at Vigor's drydock, but before we were turned around, I asked if the crew seemed to be getting off at any particular time. He said a large bunch usually get off around 2, but this was 3:30 and the cloud-covered sun was going behind the hills. Bummer. Determined to find some crew to show them Robin's photo, I finally spotted a group of four Filipinos, about a mile south of the ship, heads down and bundled against the 39 degree wind. Needless to say, they were surprised as I rolled down the window to ask if they are on the Grand! Nodding happily, they came to the van window to examine Robin's pic, but they said no, he's on vacation. Dang, there went my great plan. But since there was no traffic and they were out in the middle of the shipyards, they asked where the taxis are. It took me all of 3 seconds to hustle them into my van (one was on the floor), and begin driving them to their destination, the "downtown"! From where the ship is, downtown is still about another four miles, and they were never going to find a cab out there. It was rush hour so we had plenty of time to hear about them and the drydock. They spent the entire cruise from Hawaii cleaning, cleaning and cleaning. They all work Botticelli Late Traditional.

When I asked what time they needed to return to the ship, Ferdinand said, "No worries, Madam. We're going to the NBA and we can be out late". They were so excited to be going to their first "NBA"! The Blazers are playing OKC Thunder tonight and he is hoping Portland wins because it's the home team. Apparently the crew captain came up with some tickets and these guys got some. The rest of the drive I narrated a little and listened as they were being excited tourists. They've heard of our protesters (grrrrrrr), they like our trees, they hope for snow tomorrow and they love that we don't have sales tax (the biggie). At dusk I dropped them at Pioneer Courthouse Square right in front of the giant lighted Christmas tree and recommended that they stop in Nordstrom (they've never heard of it). I think they were headed to Ross!

They said there's hundreds of contractors onboard working all hours, and that they've come from Portugal, Italy, South America, England (as we already know!), etc. He thinks there will be no problem with the hull painting if we dip below freezing, but I still worry about that. Snow is predicted, which will throw Portland into its normal tizzy and everything will be paralyzed but drydock work,

I suppose.

So if you are fortunate enough next week to have Ferdinand, Melchior or Mira as wait staff, or if April is your hostess in Botticelli Late Traditional, ask them about their first basketball game!

Thanks for the above great pics. I don't know how to upload the ones I took for you all today from Willamette Blvd, just south of U of Portland. The bow is facing downtown Portland and the stern is facing Washington and the Columbia River, down which the Grand sailed to come into the Willamette River for drydock at Vigor Industries. That's pronounced Will -am' -it, btw. Yes, the trip down the Columbia from Astoria and the Columbia River Bar (the most dangerous in the world), took many hours because of the size of the ship.

My daughter and I had a blast today and April promised us extra pancakes next week!

Thought you all might be interested in what we Portlanders did this afternoon, esp those of you sailing on the abbreviated cruise with us next week. We've had this cruise booked for a year and the news about losing two good ports is disheartening, but if PCL is willing to pay our change fees to Alaska Airlines, we're going to happily fly to SF to board in just a few days, if only to escape yucky winter weather!

Nice post and what you did for the crew was even nicer. Good karma will follow you. :D

Seattleslew --- Loved your post. So glad the waiters got to go to a NBA game. They all work so hard and deserve some fun down time. Sorry you didn't get to see Robin, but you made new friends instead. Enjoy the holiday cruise next week and those extra pancakes! ;)

grand1.jpg

grand2.jpg

In the second photo we can see the tender platform that was damaged, but I got the photos off the web and the resolution wasn't that good so can't really zoom in. Below is a photo of the dry-dock empty.

grand3.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures although I'm still trying to envision this. Think I might have to find a video on youtube. You succeeded in getting my curiousity up :D

Thanks so much for the pictures although I'm still trying to envision this. Think I might have to find a video on youtube. You succeeded in getting my curiousity up :D

The third photo is somewhat misleading, as this is obviously a ceremony, most likely when the dock was first brought to Portland. How do I know? There are no keel blocks. The ship sits on wood blocks that support it about 4-5 feet above the deck of the drydock. One row will run down the keel (the center of the ship), and one on each side out towards where the hull turns up.

The drydock is ballasted down (sinks) so that the deck that people are walking on in the third photo is deep enough that the ship can pass over the blocks pre-set on the deck. Only the two sides of the dock will be above water at this point. The ship moves into the dock between the two "wing walls" or sides of the dock, using mooring lines, tugs, and a little propulsion until the docking master measures and says the ship is correctly positioned over the blocks.

They then pump the ballast water out of the dock's tanks, raising it, until the ship just touches the blocks, and then a diver will go down and confirm if the ship is correctly positioned on the blocks.

They then pump more ballast out, until the dock is supporting the weight of the ship, but there is still water around the ship, while the necessary connections are made to provide cooling water to and from the ship's generators (cruise ships almost invariably run a generator in drydock unlike all other ships, due to their high power demand). Once all services are conntected, they continue to pump ballast out of the dock until the deck of the dock is above water.

The key is that the drydock has a hull just like a ship does, that goes from wing wall to wing wall, under that deck, and this hull is completely ballast tanks. In the third photo, where there is no ship in the dock, there is still a lot of ballast in the tanks, equal to the "lifting" capacity (the weight of a ship it can lift) of the dock.

How cool!

Now I have a better understanding of the pictures

Thank you!!!

If you look up "graving docks" you will see the other type of drydock, which is a hole where the ship comes in, they close a gate, and pump the water out. The ship is not lifted, but it is dry and below the water level outside the dock. These are in older, more established yards, and have larger capacities than floating docks.

How cool!

Now I have a better understanding of the pictures

Thank you!!!

On my browser, another video followed this one, this time with a much larger vessel. It is fascinating how much is involved in directing a large ship into a dry dock that is not much wider than it is.

On my browser, another video followed this one, this time with a much larger vessel. It is fascinating how much is involved in directing a large ship into a dry dock that is not much wider than it is.

And as soon as the bulbous bow of the ship crosses the start, or "sill" of the drydock, the Captain can sit back and relax, since the shipyard assumes all financial responsibility for the ship, and therefore, just like the Panama Canal, the docking master or pilot is in command.