ESTA woes

CCFC

A photo copy of an ESTA is really no hardship. It also makes it easy to check whether it's due to, or has, expired.

I work in the travel industry and there is always a few who either forget to renew or think it's probably, 'ok', having not spotted the email that warns you it's due for renewal.

Some might also be unaware that as the ESTA is linked to your passport, if you renew your passport before the ESTA expires, you need another one. Same if you get an ESTA and your passport runs out in a year, the ESTA will only last until the passport's expiry date.

All travellers should check what travel visas/documentation is required. Flight/Cruise companies try to make it as clear as possible what is needed. They don't want to refuse you passage and any passenger who does travel without the right paperwork can incur the company huge fines, let alone the distress of a traveller having to be refused entry/deported.

Just because 'You're only there for a day' or 'Not getting off' doesn't wash. You are entering another country's international waters. What if you are taken ill or something should happen that means you have to stay and maybe go ashore.

The 2 year ESTA works just fine for many people. We usually visit the States at least 3 sometimes 4 during it's validity. It is a pain that crime/terrorist acts have push this necessity onto law abiding citizens but to use a phase I hate, "It is what it is".

A few years ago, on Oceana, we were unable to disembark at St Thomas as P&O didn't have the correct papers for some of their crew! As the ship,was calling in there every few weeks at that time, we were amazed. We were compensated financially for the missed port of call, but that didn't make up for those who had never been to St Thomas before.

A photo copy of an ESTA is really no hardship. It also makes it easy to check whether it's due to, or has, expired.

I work in the travel industry and there is always a few who either forget to renew or think it's probably, 'ok', having not spotted the email that warns you it's due for renewal.

Some might also be unaware that as the ESTA is linked to your passport, if you renew your passport before the ESTA expires, you need another one. Same if you get an ESTA and your passport runs out in a year, the ESTA will only last until the passport's expiry date.

All travellers should check what travel visas/documentation is required. Flight/Cruise companies try to make it as clear as possible what is needed. They don't want to refuse you passage and any passenger who does travel without the right paperwork can incur the company huge fines, let alone the distress of a traveller having to be refused entry/deported.

Just because 'You're only there for a day' or 'Not getting off' doesn't wash. You are entering another country's international waters. What if you are taken ill or something should happen that means you have to stay and maybe go ashore.

The 2 year ESTA works just fine for many people. We usually visit the States at least 3 sometimes 4 during it's validity. It is a pain that crime/terrorist acts have push this necessity onto law abiding citizens but to use a phase I hate, "It is what it is".

Have often wondered why as we were told if we didnt want to get off QM2 in Brooklyn we still needed an ESTA and had to disembark the ship go through customs and get back on. We went to St Petersburg last year and stayed on the ship with no problems whatsoever. As we all know you cannot get off the ship without booking an excursion with cruise/private company or getting individual visas. So what would have happened if we were taken ill while docked at St Petersburg or in Russian waters has we had no visa.

Edited by majortom10

St Thomas tomorrow and the dreaded customs. We have to take our passports, a print out of our ESTA our coloured number card and something I have not seen for a while the green visa waiver form all filled out. Rumour has it and I do take it with a pinch of salt but there are a few dozen people with criminal records who can't get an ESTA. Could be a lot of disappointed people tomorrow, let's hope it's US customs.

St Thomas tomorrow and the dreaded customs. We have to take our passports, a print out of our ESTA our coloured number card and something I have not seen for a while the green visa waiver form all filled out. Rumour has it and I do take it with a pinch of salt but there are a few dozen people with criminal records who can't get an ESTA. Could be a lot of disappointed people tomorrow, let's hope it's US customs.

Good luck, it might all be quicker than you think. If they have a ticket system for disembarkation get in the queue early [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am beginning to wonder if we made a mistake booking a Caribbean and USA cruise on P&O in 2018 if we are going to be subjected to passport controls before we disembark, although I assume it will only be at the first US port.

Last year's Caribbean cruise had no US ports and we had no delays disembarking anywhere, and when we have done Caribbean cruises from US ports, similarly there are no disembarkation issues

Although of course you do have to go through immigration at the airport.

Got back this morning (despite Tompson changing planes at the last minute leading to a 3 1/2 hour delay boarding.)

Arrived in St Thomas at 0630, immigration started at 0700, we were all given coloured groups to be called to go to immigration, we were the second from last in the list. Oddly when our turn came at 1130 to be called to the live lounge they called the last group as well which meant the queue snaked out of the live lounge, past Sindus, through the photo gallery and into the empty spaces. Half an hour later we got to the customs officials (there were ten of them surprisingly), they looked at the copy of the Esta, the green card, stamped the passport and off you went, a minute at tops.

They also did a ship health inspection which got 96% (apparently there was an ice machine not working). The captain praised the crew according to our steward.

I am beginning to wonder if we made a mistake booking a Caribbean and USA cruise on P&O in 2018 if we are going to be subjected to passport controls before we disembark, although I assume it will only be at the first US port.

Last year's Caribbean cruise had no US ports and we had no delays disembarking anywhere, and when we have done Caribbean cruises from US ports, similarly there are no disembarkation issues

Although of course you do have to go through immigration at the airport.

You might be on the same cruise as us terrierjohn - we're on Aurora though Arcadia is doing a similar cruise. We learned lots of lessons on Oceana last year in New Orleans when the last people disembarked at 3:00 p.m after we docked at 7:00 and we wouldn't let this happen to us.

You might be on the same cruise as us terrierjohn - we're on Aurora though Arcadia is doing a similar cruise. We learned lots of lessons on Oceana last year in New Orleans when the last people disembarked at 3:00 p.m after we docked at 7:00 and we wouldn't let this happen to us.

No we will be on Ventura in Feb 2018, but I am interested to know what you learnt last year and how you intend to ensure you are not the last off the ship?

No we will be on Ventura in Feb 2018, but I am interested to know what you learnt last year and how you intend to ensure you are not the last off the ship?

The only way is to book an early trip. That way you are just about first off. We did this in New York, off in about 30 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The only way is to book an early trip. That way you are just about first off. We did this in New York, off in about 30 mins.

I was of the same opinion, book an excursion is the only way to ensure you get off the ship early - NOT true.

We were aboard the recent Britannia cruise calling at St. Thomas, and the 7.00am queue (White card) was over 600 people long, most were not on P&O excursions. They were INDEPENDENTS, passengers who easily changed their queue position by visiting Guest Relations and requesting early disembarkation due to a private tour arrangement or another reason.

There were at least 500 people ahead of us in the queue when we arrived at 7.00am. In all fairness to the US Immigration they had 12 officers at the desks and we were cleared by 7.25am. It was far better than the similar exercise when we returned to Barbados on Friday.