My Son - the Gym Monkey.....

.... is wanting to bring all his Pre- and Post- workout protein mixes. He is wanting to put in ziplocs (b/c the smallest container is like a 3 week supply) and put in his checked suitcase but I'm concerned this will set off a bunch of red flags. Both with airlines and cruise line. Has anyone brought anything like this and what did you do?

TYIA :)

If it is liquid, it will have to go in checked bags for the airline, and I'd put it in carry-on bags for the cruise line, in original containers.

If it's powder, there should be no problem.

Edited by clarea

.... is wanting to bring all his Pre- and Post- workout protein mixes. He is wanting to put in ziplocs (b/c the smallest container is like a 3 week supply) and put in his checked suitcase but I'm concerned this will set off a bunch of red flags. Both with airlines and cruise line. Has anyone brought anything like this and what did you do?

TYIA :)

Sometimes bring my protein with me have never had an issue...K.O.:)

If it is liquid, it will have to go in checked bags for the airline, and I'd put it in carry-on bags for the cruise line, in original containers.

If it's powder, there should be no problem.

Yes, it is powder. Problem is the containers aren't small... and he has 2 different kinds. I told him to just put it off a week, but that suggestion was immediately rejected! :p

No one will care if he brings the powder in smaller baggies. I travel quite a bit for work and normally bring protein with me. I've never been questioned by TSA, with checked or carry on baggage.

If you are that worried have him label it after he portions it out into the baggies.

No one will care if he brings the powder in smaller baggies. I travel quite a bit for work and normally bring protein with me. I've never been questioned by TSA, with checked or carry on baggage.

If you are that worried have him label it after he portions it out into the baggies.

While I agree, taking baggies of protein should not be an issue, labeling the baggies "protein powder" is not going to make a bean of difference. Do you really think a cop, looking at a baggie of white powder, would say "hey, this one is okay, it says protein powder?:eek::cool: Put the sharpie away, it is not going to stop anyone from questioning an unknown substance.

I did see one traveler peel the label off the package they had at home and attach it to the outside of the baggie.

Flying domestically will not be a problem. TSA isn't looking for drugs.

The ship won't care either.

Just don't bring the protein powder back into the United States after the cruise. Less for the 'looks like drugs' and more for the agriculture/open food no-no.

My husband brings the travel size packs. Easier to pack and already pre-portioned. Your son should be able to get them where he buys his sports protein powders. For a vacation it's worth it plus it's in original packaging. He's also not likely to be in the gym or participating in high intensity activities every day without risking injury so he won't need to buy too many packs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sponsored bodybuilder...Travel weekly and have cruised a number of times with zip lock bags with preportioned protein and pre-workout, I usually just stick in my shaker cup and have never been questioned or any flags raised, its a powder not a liquid. Hope this eases your mind!

Yes, it is powder. Problem is the containers aren't small... and he has 2 different kinds. I told him to just put it off a week, but that suggestion was immediately rejected! :p
used to always bring my protein powder, then realized with the extra "everything" I eat for a week or two onboard I actually could skip my protein drink....K.O...:)

Sponsored bodybuilder...Travel weekly and have cruised a number of times with zip lock bags with preportioned protein and pre-workout, I usually just stick in my shaker cup and have never been questioned or any flags raised, its a powder not a liquid. Hope this eases your mind!

We do the same - but not bodybuilders ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk