Explorer Day 1 of 14 day Caribbean Voyage

Chefwoody

Bus ride to the zip "park" was late, but made up time gran prix style through the always popular NARROW crazy curvy and crowded streets. Listened to bits of cultural and historical tidbits via our driver as he honked and swerved his way through town. Only eight of us so there was lots of room on board. Arrived at our zip line adventure destination and were greeted by a nicely organized and professional group. Yes there was lots of "ya man" and "lets all clap for..", but very clearly they were organized, professional and best of all cautious. I mean nobody feels comfortable jumping off into oblivion at the hands of someone that just shrugs his shoulders and smiles allot. Am I right?

Rules: No Hats, No backpacks or belt bags, no large cameras ( I had and recommend for those with Gopro cameras the shoulder mount strap.. perfect for this kind of thing. Others had wrist strap point and shoots that also worked just fine provided you were comfortable hanging on with one hand). must have closed toed shoes or sandals (think Teva or Keens). Lockers cost $3 to put the rest of your stuff in. Bus will leave after dropping your stuff off so you must take it all with you. Snack & water are available there for a fee. You WILL be weighed. Nine days on this cruise WILL be made known to you. Once paid and weighed - off to the gear shack.

Helmet, harness, pulley and off you go to the practice line. Key lessons there are landing. Lean back, legs up high and spread (a bit), chin tucked into your chest. They use a spring coil system at the end that basically wraps around the cable for about 15ft. You come flying into it (legs up, leaning back, chin tucked) and it slams you to a stop and recoils. I thought it was kind of fun.. management (and a few others) not so much. The pulley system used here was a two wheel model. Significant to us because the 1st one we used in Belize was a single. Meant we were prone to spinning (on the single) and had to force a correction prior to "landing". The double was sweet and straight forward. Five lines in all. We ALL had a blast. Sprinkled for a bit, but otherwise the weather was fine.

Dinner tonight was once again Chartreuse. Tonight I strayed to the lamb chops (med. rare), management the lobster. Both were great.. BUT... the duck breast for the two nights I had it still was the better of the two. Staff was yet again over the top and impressive. Management hooked up with her sugar daddy afterward and he let her walk with $150 (see earlier post if disturbed by this one).

We were scheduled for Tropical Tree Top Adventure tomorrow, but during a dinner read through and a mutual assessment of how we felt about it - or at least the alternatives.. we canceled and are now "free to move about the cabin". We both feel good about the free day. Will be looking into local things to see & do tomorrow. Christmas movies rule the T.V. tonight - Management already eyes closed in front of the original Scrooge. Full moon tonight is broadcasting bright gorgeous light across the seas in front of me (on the deck as usual - I could live out here). Easily get lost in thoughts of what it must have been like back in the early days of sailing. Pirates, Vikings, No bathrobes, cheap merlot, one or two channels on the tele... you know.. rough stuff. Night to all.

Schnootsi’s revenge

As I mentioned last night, bed time included a showing of the Scrooge. The original and the newer with Bill Murray both appeal to me, as long as I don’t have to see it more then once every couple years. I’m not sure how long I lasted, but it was still fun to see.

Schnootsi (see prior post for details) was staring me down again at breakfast. Knowing I was going to charge right at her with a sarcastic “Well HELLO Schnootsi…”, but before I could move she bolted up from her chair and straight over to me. For some reason I coward. I looked over, but management was not there. Schnootsi looked down at me (mind you I’m 6’1 and she’s 4’10 but still, I was sitting and she was.. well somehow bigger) and said loudly.. “HAT! GIVE ME YOUR HAT!”. I looked up at her, then around… but no one else seemed to be aware of what was happening. “GIVE ME YOUR HAT AND GET BACK TO WORK!… THERE IS NO MORE VACATION HERE FOR YOU!”. I opened my mouth and every word that came out was in an english accent: “ But mam, me family only gets but one vacation a year mam and well, it’s just that…me hat is important to my vacation and.. ”. “QUIET! Back to work and no more of this vacation nonsense.. YOU people don’t get vacations..REALLY!”. I looked down and felt sleepy. I awoke again to Schnootsi, smiling and looking at me as if I were.. human. She handed me a ship voucher for $100 and told me to go down to the galley and exchange it for a goose - the biggest they had. I asked her if a lobe of fois gras would be ok and she said “Ok..Only if it’s A grade my boy.. now off you go..”. I returned to management and Schnootsi sharing laughs and smiling at me. Management then tells me that Schnootsi is going to pay off my youngest sons cell phone bill and help him move out into his own apartment.. an ailment he’s been suffering from since age 20. My heart felt warm and full. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD SCHNOOTSI!

Funny you should ask.. we grabbed a "book" from the cruise agent to look over tomorrow on our "day off". What are the advantages of booking now/here over our travel agent? Glad you're still here!.

First, your TA receives full commission when you book onboard. They will receive a copy of your booking almost immediately!

If you book onboard you receive a $100 OBC for your current cruise (not a huge deal but is still something - maybe you could buy a Christmas gift in the Boutique).

There is onboard booking credit. The amount depends upon the cruise and suite that you are booking. The Cruise Consultant (near the huge chandelier on deck 5) can give you all of the details. Plus, if you book onboard there is a price guarantee and you have 30 days to change your mind at no cost. You can also transfer your booking to another cruise at no cost....... but if you cancel completely, you will owe Regent the $100 they gave you in OBC's) IMO, there is no downside to booking onboard.

Looking forward to reading about your day off!:)

"Schnootsi is going to pay off my youngest sons cell phone bill and help him move out into his own apartment.. an ailment he’s been suffering from since age 20."

In my house, that's what we call a bridge too far! We still have a schnook we can't get rid of.

Z and TB

Last night's dream was vivid in my head this morning. Schnootsi had turned her life around. Also vivid in this mornings head was the knowledge that Management and I (she's asked me to capitalize her monicker from now on as it is symbolic of THE one in charge) decided to cancel our Tree Top adventure tour and just roll the dice off the boat. Great Choice!

Up to see us arrive at 6:30 and enjoyed the ride into the very modern port facility that we'd be docking at. Huge shipping container facility directly across from us. Most tours were leaving the dock at about 8:30. So we went long in the gym and enjoyed a gorgeous view from our usual two top breakfast table. Though the dream of with schoots (nick name and not capitalized just to piss her off :) ) was fresh, I still showered and dressed before going up to breakfast. But just to test the waters, I left my hat on. Again, sadly no schnootsi.

In the midst of basking in our decision not to go anywhere structured today, Olivia gave us a splendidly different weather forecast for today - Sunny and warm. Thank you Olivia!!. I hopped on my ipad and searched trip advisor for things to do or see around town. That lead to a map of the area with some highlights, which lead me to the satellite image of town and a more detailed lay of the land.

Pointe-A-Pitre on the island of Grand-Terre is the largest city and economic center of Guadeloupe. The buildings in front of our ship resembled those French Creole buildings you'd see in New Orleans. I was excited to explore and take pictures. Management altered my departure plans by ordering us each some champagne (very French thing to do apparently). Now lubed and ready we set off.

Perhaps it was the champagne, or just the sense of excursion independence, but Management began greeting everyone we passed (or at least those making any eye contact at all) with "Eh Low". Much like a French person attempting to greet an American. I mentioned my observation to her and I got a multi lingual single digit. She's signs so well... god love her. We clearly realized we were on our own as the entire ships crew were busy performing emergency safety practice drills on board. I was hoping to get a map or general orientation to our location, but never the less.. off we went.

The "shopable" portion of the city was by in large still asleep (at 10am). We were the only ship in port, so the local to tourist ratio was about 99 to 1. While we didn't feel uncomfortable, we definently new we stood out. Not in a bad way, just a bit touristy. And yes, this could be due to my decision to pack a big old SLR camera on my hip. But in fairness, I was not dressed in a American Flag bandana with matching American eagle over the American flag t-shirt as was a gentleman on yesterday tender ride. God only knows if he made it back to the boat yesterday. And no, I'm not the one that wears white socks (or sock of any kind of sock) with sandles. Unless of course I burned the top of my feet the day before because of .. well pick your reason there because it's happened a few times before. But I would never venture out and about with socks and sandles. Regardless, I think the camera packing fresh off the ship look dialed me into to the local radars.

First open for business area we came to was an open market. Spices, homemade bottles of various booze and fruit combinations - all labeled by hand with paint or sharpee. Memory served me well as I kept my camera low as most market vendors I've encountered (even at the farmers market back home in Beaverton Oregon) do NOT appreciate you "stealing" their goods in photo form rather then paying them for their labors. Over reacting if you ask me, I mean if I intended to purchase then I would, if I photograph.. well I guess maybe there is an arguement on there side that I could make profit on the picture. The picture of the product they wanted money for. Ok.. I give.

More and more places started to open up, and unlike the last few port towns, most of the folks shopping were locals. Management and I walked into areas we felt were sketchy and back to the core town many times and in many areas. But our "leash" felt long and by lunch time we were ready to return to the ship. That and today would be a sit down lunch at Chartruese.

" Honey, we should really shower". "No, let's just go". "Wood, I just don't think we're dressed right to eat lunch there". "Ok, Ok.. let's just test the waters and ask the staff when we arrive". "Grrr... fine!". " Ahh, greetings madam and sir, table for two?". "Are we dressed appropriately for lunch?". (Shorts, short sleeve collard shirt for me, shorts and tank top for her, both with hats). "Why yes of course madam". There are no "no's" on this ship - within reason to be sure. Lunch was great. Management wanted to kick back onboard and I wanted to go out and irritate people with my camera again.

Photography in towns like this goes much better if you leave people completely out of it. So i focused on car manufactures (Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat, and a hand full of others I've never heard of) and graffiti. I did however surrender to my need to photograph the amazing colors and displays of fresh spices and tinctures. So I approached a local vendor with a $5 bill and asked if she'd let me photograph her stand. One semi toothless smile said it all, we had peace between our countries. As I have done in New Orleans and Harlem, I ended up deep in questionable territory. The eyes on me were heavy and my direction was obviously unclear. Camera down, eyes ahead and warp drive engaged. "Damn it Scotty, I need more power...". Pulled into the main drag with a sigh of relief and signaled "stand down" to my nervous system. Back to Explorer for an infinity pool hook up with Management and some reading. Dinner on our own - no fancy restaurant tonight. But did get invited to tour the galley with the head Chef tomorrow - THANK YOU DANIELA!!!.

Today we anchored off Gustavia, St. Barts. OMG!! The yachts. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Google Luna & it's current owner. It, among others was the talk of the ship... as we anchored right next to it. While waiting for the tender service to shore, Luna's helicopter was making practice landings and take off's. At first cool.. but very soon irritating. But the history of the man that currently owns her is interesting at the very least. No, you look it up later.

We were warned in St. Kitts that St. Barts was like triple the price on most things. A tube of Colgate in St. Kitts, $1.75 (small). St. Barts ($11.00). Upon arrival we understood why. It's (one of) the Beverly Hills of this island chain. People leave.. leave their staffed yachts here (and pay their staff to stay until needed) all winter (here) and come down when they winter where ever they are. I was all "goose bumps" as I walked along the yacht after yacht along the pier/boardwalk. All backed in and side by side by no more then a few feet. All polished and ready to go. My head left the building as I imagined what it would feel like to be aboard on sailing to... who cares!. Amazing.

For us common folk (yeah, right.. aboard Explorer... go on!) it was a catamaran snorkel excursion. Water is water.. and I was looking forward to it. Usual workout and breakfast (reminder here - THIS STAFF IS AMAZING!). Smiles from no doubt exhausted crew were genuine and appreciated. We ate and prepped for the day on the water. Left a tad early to enjoy the immediate port (full of yachts, and VERY expensive shops... general demographic here is $$$). But if you like to "watch", kind of cool!. Boat arrived on time and we were ushered on board and headed out to... well, actually it was a rock out cropping almost exactly between the port and the ship. Again... warm water IS warm water.

Our two French boat guides were nice. The pilot was humorous, but also a bit testy once it came to getting folks in the water. YES..there were some classic Americans that needed it in writing to get it right, and NO, he was not about that. But the young assistant was able to smooth things out and everyone had a good time. Water was cloudy and the sea life what you'd expect so close to the port. But again... warm water is warm water. The ship... not the destination. That said, a couple we've befriended had done some recon on "her Christmas present" and this was the place. Based on their demographic and her wish not to disclose we figured the cruise was cheaper... But so it goes. Anyway, did a galley tour at 4 and will tell you more about it after dinner... which management is now nagging me to get going for... soon. Out!. (p.s. no spell or grammar checks allowed on this one so in advance.. sorry.

Really enjoy your comments, particularly since we'll be following ya'll very soon, boarding on Sunday for Explorer's Christmas cruise, and you're just whetting our already high anticipation.

By the way, there is another option if you can't decide on your next cruise: make an open booking. My understanding is you put down $3,000 and use it to make an 'on-board' booking. useable within the next two year, OR you can get all your money back during that period (but beware; after 2 years, it is forfeit!). I didn't know about the on-board booking $100 on-board credit, but if you do get that, I suppose the 'full refund' would be reduced by the $100. to pay them back for the credit you got on this cruise.

I'm sure the cruise consultant on board will know all about it, and will explain all the ins and outs. I think we used one of these 'open' reservations to book our up-coming Christmas cruise, or if not, then our Explorer trans-Atlantic>Barcelona>Venice cruise in March-April 2017. Its a nice option to have available, particularly if your planning is constrained by employment or health considerations.

Again, thanks for the marvelous commentary on this exciting new ship!

Things to know:

Regarding the F1 class Superior Suite (ours was 780).

This room is identical to the Concierge Suite in size. However those located in the middle have much smaller decks. Our deck has loads of space, but the Concierge includes on lounge chair. We have two reclining deck chairs (padded) and a table.

On this voyage, starboard side was best for ports and sun, port side was best for sea and shade. Yes yes, this varies a bit from day to day, and yes on the return voyage port saw more mid/late day sun, but they’re mostly sea days so… just saying.

There are 3 U.S. plug outlets. One on the long counter in the bedroom, and one each just under each bedside table. One for razors only (no idea what configuration that is.. European?) in the bathroom. Hair dryer (supplied) must be used out of the bathroom. There are two powered USB ports next to each bedside table. There are multiple two pronged European standard outlets all over the room, so either bring a couple plug bars or some two pronged converters. ALL POWER is regulated by a card slot just inside of your cabin door. Any credit sized card (ie AAA or Drivers license) can be put in to it to keep the power on (for charging things). Once out, all power except the t.v. goes out.

There is TONS of storage all over the cabin. You could not possibly bring enough to fill it.

The bathroom is wonderful with a full sized tub with shower head, and a walkin shower with two shower heads – one ultra wide directly above your heads, the other one mounted to an adjustable shaft in the corner. This one can also be detached for hand showering. A WORD OF WARNING! … There are two control knobs in the shower. The one on top is for turning on and off either shower head. If you rotate the knob even a fraction of an inch past off, it sets off the other head which starts with ice cold water. So you need to very slowly turn that knob to off – and not further or SURPRISE!. The lower controls temperature.

The bed is amazingly… really amazingly comfortable. It’s really nice to wake to the ocean rolling in front of you. Robes and slippers are provided. The small refrigerator is filled with mixers and water, but soon your room attendant will fill it – and your room – with what ever you’d like and as often or routine as you’d like. A bottle of champagne will greet you upon arrival. Fresh fruit and evening chocolates are daily.

Coffee can be arranged for by daily room service (concierge suite has a nespresso machine) or the coffee shop opens at 6:30am, or there are several self serve latte machines around the ship.

Each deck has a free laundry room. Each has 3 nice high end washers & dryers. Soap is available and free, need to bring your own fabric softeners. Laundry service is also available (for a fee at this cabin level).

While F1 class suites don’t get priority dinner reservations at the specialty places, I found that by going down to the Reservation Manager (across from reception) I could get my preferred two top between 6:30pm & 7pm at one of them any time I checked. Key time to check is mid afternoon, and always in person. However, after taking the galley tour we learned that Compass Rose is the only restaurant on board that changes their menu nightly. If you go to Compass Rose, go to either side of the back. It’s shaped like a “U” and the back (top portions of the “U”) areas are quietest.

All suites have two full sized umbrellas. Bring your own binoculars (higher class suites come with them, but if you like that sort of thing then bring your own).

Wifi is available in your suite. We even managed 2 laptops and 2 ipads at once. Sometimes it got spotty, but worked pretty well over all.

General things to know:

Sign up for a galley tour. Great stuff to see. You can also (though we didn’t) sign up for a bridge tour.

Bring a credit card. They don’t take nor have any ATM’s on board for any type of debit card. Totally STUPID!. Even if bringing a debit card for on shore – remember to tell your bank you’ll be abroad using it.. lest they freeze your account.

Remember to set your cameras and binoculars outside (provided it’s not raining of course) a good 20 minutes before coming into port or taking any photos outside. The A.C. in your room makes the equipment cold, the outside is warm & humid – result is fogged lenses and touchy moisture sensors. Let them come to temperature in advance so you’re prepared for ‘THE” shot.

Bring polarized lenses for your cameras if possible. Red filters for underwater cameras.

Bring a pair of outdoor shoes.. the kind that can tramp through mud & water with out letting rocks in.

Bring an insulated water bottle.. great for the long excursions. A belt pack or backpack is a must. To date, once you leave the ship there is rarely water or food available during the excursions… even those going say 11am to 3pm. Be prepared.

Bring liquid bandage for your feet. Some feet haven’t been water logged and then hiked on for some distance. These blisters/sores can be annoying if not crippling.. be prepared.

Bring tea lights (those little disk like battery powered flickering candles). Room is pitch black at night and they make an easily packed all night lighting option to find your way back to the bathroom at night.

Best seats on the tender (for those anchor at port days) are on the railing – flip downs that sit right in front of both side openings. Lots of leg room and 1st off the boat.

The gym technically opens at 7am, but the doors are always open and you can go just about any time.

The infinity pool deck is (was?) a hidden treasure. The path there (through the mens & womens locker rooms – which have the most amazing – available to all – amenities ever… aromatic steam bath, infrared sauna, some fancy mojo shower with disco lighting.. and a cold room that has real frost walls. Towels, robes & slippers are available to use while there. The deck on either side of the pool has about 5 lounge chairs each and a couple round two person loungers. Nobody goes back there?!. The pool is also fresh water – BUT – on rough sea days is not available. But neither is the main pool. There is no bar or food service at this pool, but you’re welcome to bring your own.

You can order specialty breakfast (omelets, eggs benny, over easy, soft boiled etc.. ) at the omelet counter and it will be brought to your table.

Take a cooking class – the culinary kitchen is beautiful and the courses very interactive. Cher Annie keeps even the socialist of socialites focused (another story for another post).

My wife (aka Management) scored nightly at the penny slot machine called Tropical Splendor.

The burgers at the pool deck are fantastic in everyway! Best at sea… and most at home.

Daniela, the Food & Beverage (and house keeping) officer, is the most approachable and informative crew member I have ever met!. Granted, I never sought out any others as her responsibilities fascinate me the most.. but really, if you get a chance, talk to her. Amazing person and history!. Someone with her overall knowledge of what makes a ship like this work.. and at a level like this (“most luxurious cruise ship afloat”) is really a difficult job. She makes it look – no I won’t say easy because she’s constantly working – but while also, while cell phone is ringing, manages to stay focused on you.. that’s just not easy folks… but she does it.

Dress code: Don’t worry about any of it. Long pants and collar shirt for dinner. Otherwise, common sense stuff (ala middle class). Hats at breakfast… fine. Tank top or gym clothes at breakfast (La Veranda or poolside) no problem. Snooty people who care… not in charge and usually leave upon arrival. And to be perfectly honest people, some of those flowery frocks you’re wearing are at the very least gawdy!. “Hey Hey, You You get off of my boat…”. Just having fun .

I’m sure I’ll think of something else post cruise and will add it then. Hope those of you soon to travel Explorer folks have as great of time as we’ve had. I really have nothing negative at all to say about this cruise – though breakfast could be fancied up a bit. The staff is stellar and the suite (F1 class) amazing. We were NEVER once left wanting anything. Hope this helps those who follow and encourages those who would add to this kind of posting. Final thoughts and experiences – WITH PHOTO’s to follow. Chef Woody out.

Things to know:

Regarding the F1 class Superior Suite (ours was 780).

This room is identical to the Concierge Suite in size. However those located in the middle have much smaller decks. Our deck has loads of space, but the Concierge includes on lounge chair. We have two reclining deck chairs (padded) and a table.

On this voyage, starboard side was best for ports and sun, port side was best for sea and shade. Yes yes, this varies a bit from day to day, and yes on the return voyage port saw more mid/late day sun, but they’re mostly sea days so… just saying.

There are 3 U.S. plug outlets. One on the long counter in the bedroom, and one each just under each bedside table. One for razors only (no idea what configuration that is.. European?) in the bathroom. Hair dryer (supplied) must be used out of the bathroom. There are two powered USB ports next to each bedside table. There are multiple two pronged European standard outlets all over the room, so either bring a couple plug bars or some two pronged converters. ALL POWER is regulated by a card slot just inside of your cabin door. Any credit sized card (ie AAA or Drivers license) can be put in to it to keep the power on (for charging things). Once out, all power except the t.v. goes out.

There is TONS of storage all over the cabin. You could not possibly bring enough to fill it.

The bathroom is wonderful with a full sized tub with shower head, and a walkin shower with two shower heads – one ultra wide directly above your heads, the other one mounted to an adjustable shaft in the corner. This one can also be detached for hand showering. A WORD OF WARNING! … There are two control knobs in the shower. The one on top is for turning on and off either shower head. If you rotate the knob even a fraction of an inch past off, it sets off the other head which starts with ice cold water. So you need to very slowly turn that knob to off – and not further or SURPRISE!. The lower controls temperature.

The bed is amazingly… really amazingly comfortable. It’s really nice to wake to the ocean rolling in front of you. Robes and slippers are provided. The small refrigerator is filled with mixers and water, but soon your room attendant will fill it – and your room – with what ever you’d like and as often or routine as you’d like. A bottle of champagne will greet you upon arrival. Fresh fruit and evening chocolates are daily.

Coffee can be arranged for by daily room service (concierge suite has a nespresso machine) or the coffee shop opens at 6:30am, or there are several self serve latte machines around the ship.

Each deck has a free laundry room. Each has 3 nice high end washers & dryers. Soap is available and free, need to bring your own fabric softeners. Laundry service is also available (for a fee at this cabin level).

While F1 class suites don’t get priority dinner reservations at the specialty places, I found that by going down to the Reservation Manager (across from reception) I could get my preferred two top between 6:30pm & 7pm at one of them any time I checked. Key time to check is mid afternoon, and always in person. However, after taking the galley tour we learned that Compass Rose is the only restaurant on board that changes their menu nightly. If you go to Compass Rose, go to either side of the back. It’s shaped like a “U” and the back (top portions of the “U”) areas are quietest.

All suites have two full sized umbrellas. Bring your own binoculars (higher class suites come with them, but if you like that sort of thing then bring your own).

Wifi is available in your suite. We even managed 2 laptops and 2 ipads at once. Sometimes it got spotty, but worked pretty well over all.

General things to know:

Sign up for a galley tour. Great stuff to see. You can also (though we didn’t) sign up for a bridge tour.

Bring a credit card. They don’t take nor have any ATM’s on board for any type of debit card. Totally STUPID!. Even if bringing a debit card for on shore – remember to tell your bank you’ll be abroad using it.. lest they freeze your account.

Remember to set your cameras and binoculars outside (provided it’s not raining of course) a good 20 minutes before coming into port or taking any photos outside. The A.C. in your room makes the equipment cold, the outside is warm & humid – result is fogged lenses and touchy moisture sensors. Let them come to temperature in advance so you’re prepared for ‘THE” shot.

Bring polarized lenses for your cameras if possible. Red filters for underwater cameras.

Bring a pair of outdoor shoes.. the kind that can tramp through mud & water with out letting rocks in.

Bring an insulated water bottle.. great for the long excursions. A belt pack or backpack is a must. To date, once you leave the ship there is rarely water or food available during the excursions… even those going say 11am to 3pm. Be prepared.

Bring liquid bandage for your feet. Some feet haven’t been water logged and then hiked on for some distance. These blisters/sores can be annoying if not crippling.. be prepared.

Bring tea lights (those little disk like battery powered flickering candles). Room is pitch black at night and they make an easily packed all night lighting option to find your way back to the bathroom at night.

Best seats on the tender (for those anchor at port days) are on the railing – flip downs that sit right in front of both side openings. Lots of leg room and 1st off the boat.

The gym technically opens at 7am, but the doors are always open and you can go just about any time.

The infinity pool deck is (was?) a hidden treasure. The path there (through the mens & womens locker rooms – which have the most amazing – available to all – amenities ever… aromatic steam bath, infrared sauna, some fancy mojo shower with disco lighting.. and a cold room that has real frost walls. Towels, robes & slippers are available to use while there. The deck on either side of the pool has about 5 lounge chairs each and a couple round two person loungers. Nobody goes back there?!. The pool is also fresh water – BUT – on rough sea days is not available. But neither is the main pool. There is no bar or food service at this pool, but you’re welcome to bring your own.

You can order specialty breakfast (omelets, eggs benny, over easy, soft boiled etc.. ) at the omelet counter and it will be brought to your table.

Take a cooking class – the culinary kitchen is beautiful and the courses very interactive. Cher Annie keeps even the socialist of socialites focused (another story for another post).

My wife (aka Management) scored nightly at the penny slot machine called Tropical Splendor.

The burgers at the pool deck are fantastic in everyway! Best at sea… and most at home.

Daniela, the Food & Beverage (and house keeping) officer, is the most approachable and informative crew member I have ever met!. Granted, I never sought out any others as her responsibilities fascinate me the most.. but really, if you get a chance, talk to her. Amazing person and history!. Someone with her overall knowledge of what makes a ship like this work.. and at a level like this (“most luxurious cruise ship afloat”) is really a difficult job. She makes it look – no I won’t say easy because she’s constantly working – but while also, while cell phone is ringing, manages to stay focused on you.. that’s just not easy folks… but she does it.

Dress code: Don’t worry about any of it. Long pants and collar shirt for dinner. Otherwise, common sense stuff (ala middle class). Hats at breakfast… fine. Tank top or gym clothes at breakfast (La Veranda or poolside) no problem. Snooty people who care… not in charge and usually leave upon arrival. And to be perfectly honest people, some of those flowery frocks you’re wearing are at the very least gawdy!. “Hey Hey, You You get off of my boat…”. Just having fun .

I’m sure I’ll think of something else post cruise and will add it then. Hope those of you soon to travel Explorer folks have as great of time as we’ve had. I really have nothing negative at all to say about this cruise – though breakfast could be fancied up a bit. The staff is stellar and the suite (F1 class) amazing. We were NEVER once left wanting anything. Hope this helps those who follow and encourages those who would add to this kind of posting. Final thoughts and experiences – WITH PHOTO’s to follow. Chef Woody out.

Hi Chef woody. Can't believe we have been on the same ship and altho I read you daily still have no idea who you are. Probably a lot younger than we are. Also your hours so different. We don't do brekkies until 9 always in the room, one of us is very unsociable in the am. I never hit the gym till 4 pm so we never make dinner until 7:30Love your posts. Sorry you are disembarking would love to keep reading. You have a marvellous sense of humour. We (lucky us spending the children's inheritance) are staying for the next go around. Safe travels to you and management Hope we get to read your travels again one day

Chefwoody, I've sure enjoyed your great postings and your sense of humor. Have a safe trip home.

I really enjoyed reading all your helpful tips. We've spent 34 nights on the Explorer and also had a suite like yours. At the time we booked it was an F2 but now (unfortunately) has been changed to an F1. IMO, it is the best !!!

I do have a question about your comment on bringing $... Passengers used to be able to get a certain amount of cash each segment (I think it was $400. per person ? not sure of that). It was not treated as a cash advance but when you got your final bill, it was treated like a credit card charge on whatever cc you used when you registered on embarkation day. We always did that to get the extra points/ff miles on our cc. Often bringing the cash home. They don't do this anymore ?

Adding one more tip for those who have the chance... don't miss John Barron's show. It was the best of all the shows we saw should he be your CD when you sail.

Again, thank you so much for sharing all your fun experiences with us.:)

Edited by petlover

Good bye dear friends… Good bye Explorer…

What a great vacation. We WERE Explorer!. Had breakfast with Dave and Maura, an amazing couple whom I had a great number of common interests with Dave, while Management loved conversations and stories with his wife Maura. While their means were/are well above ours (as were most aboard) we learned a bunch from their experiences and can look forward to them being our future 411 for fiuture travel tips. Doug & Cathy (Our doctors) and in my opinion – based on both looks and personas.. Spencer Tracy & Katheryn Hepburn. We sadly never got to exchange contact info. Hint… get it when you discover you like them. Mary and Wendle were in the lobby as we left – got time to share hugs and shed tears with another couple that met them during this cruise. Mary is the most amazing person we’ve ever met. At 86 her approach to meeting people is the last of a long lost art/generation. A German couple we were sitting next to today prior to departing, jointly perked up as I guided Mary over to Management for a farewell. Mary quickly point out that they (the German couple) were her neighbors and new friends on this cruise. Hugs, tears, laughs and promises of future contacts were exchanged. But the wife of our German couple broke down in tears upon her departure. She shared with us that Mary had been sending her letters, ones that she’d write during the day and deliver on board daily, during the entire cruise. Old fashion letter writing (that’s pen and paper folks) daily!, To her (our German friend) it was a reminder that there were still some those who held the values of actual humanity.. that which values who you are.. not what you want or expect. To me, it was the spitting image of my great grandmother “Nano”, combined with the meticulous regiment of tradition of my mothers. Letters and notes of thanks with the most amazing hand writing and stationary imaginable. It just makes you feel special. As did Mary. God bless Mary!.

The crew was well practiced on departure procedures. Everything went perfectly. Some time back we’d opted to spend an adjustment day in Miami and then fly back midday the following day. But.. well as things usually go.. we had a few curve balls. Our midday flight changed to 5:45am. And, the weather has changed radically cross country with cancellations dominating most airport big screens. Welcome back to reality… fat boy!.

Total #’s added… about 10. Given what I ate… not bad. I worked our 30 – 45 minutes most every day. But that paltry 500 calories was only a scratch at my daily 9500 calorie input. Bah!! Bring it!.. I’ll work it off later.

Tonight, as I write this, the hotel is not rocking, but I feel it. The bed is not even close to comfy. But I WILL sleep. There are no chocolates or fresh fruit, no turned down bed or restocked fridge. The world has truly gone to hell. (Yes… I know.. Just give me time to come down…). I have been spoiled in a way I hope I may some day be spoiled again. I wish everyone could be spoiled this way.

We took this cruise at the 2nd lowest class level. It was, in our opinion the best as viewed from others we met. Enough said on that. GREAT TRIP… PHOTOS TO FOLLOW.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Chefwoody: Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us and for your style. You really captured how we felt about our recent Explorer TA cruise and about the wonderful people we met onboard. Your last post reminded me when Massimo once asked The Boss (my Management) "how was the cruise?" and she broke into tears. Fly safe.

Z and TB