No more Oceania cruises for me

English Tim

If you are a Canadian, and save proof of requesting removal from their mail list and they do not comply with the request then complain with proof to CRTC. The will investigate and if does not stop can fine the company up to $100,000

The CRTC can only control what is generated by Canadian companies. They have no control of emails, junk mail, phone soliciting or otherwise f it comes form outside Canada. Hence, the no spam list is becoming ineffective.

And yet here you are - you must have that desire :D :D

Being loyal to your favorite cause or company or cruise line is one thing but to chastise another persons opinion is just being small. :)

We are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise and hope we survive if we are not completely assimilated to Oceania cruisers standard. :D:D

Edited by pete_coach

Being loyal to your favorite cause or company or cruise line is one thing but to chastise another persons opinion is just being small. :)

Since you are new to Oceania forum you will not be aware of some past OPINIONS of certain people that come on this forum to reek havoc

Causing problems & getting threads closed or deleted

They have a disdain for the "Class System" on Oceania but only book suites themselves

Of course this is just my opinion

Enjoy your cruise

Since you are new to Oceania forum you will not be aware of some past OPINIONS of certain people that come on this forum to reek havoc

They have a disdain for the "Class System" on Oceania but only book suites themselves

Enjoy your cruise

Have been on a bunch of Oceania cruises and do not know what the class system is if there is one at all. WE all eat in the same places and sit in the same chairs at the pool and have to wait for a table in the terrace. I am not sure the majority of us come on this forum to reek havoc. We all have opinions and smetimes they are different from others but I do not think they are just trying to cause trouble. Just my opinion. :):):)

We are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise and hope we survive if we are not completely assimilated to Oceania cruisers standard. :D:D

This was more of a personal note and the person who it was addressed to in reply to their post will have a better understanding of its meaning.

It is a person who has repeatedly disparaged Oceania on these boards - subtly and not so subtly at times - as compared to Regent.

As a result of this she might have felt "drawn and quartered" at times - hence her comment.

Enough said :)

Look at stopping O's spam with the FTC Can-Spam Act. A company like O that offers a premium product should be serious about not spamming their customers.

I know my company is serious about Unsubscribe Compliance, they must be honored within 10 days. The penalties can be $16,000/email.

I have found O's "sale" emails to be a waste of time. By the time I figure the "savings" it's like $200 (if I can figure it out), a tiny about on $8000+. On the plus side you know the price you paid is unlikely to go down ... publicly, most good discounts (sales) are private move up or over offers.

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the explanation (and opinion :)).

My opinions may not be popular but one thing that I am not is rude. Everyone is entitled to an opinion (and to politely debate issues). IMO, some of the responses on this thread make my point.

Getting back on topic, it is interesting that some countries can fine you for unwanted mail. I'm wondering if they can sue a company in another country for this - especially a country that does not have this law and may not even be aware that such a law exists? In terms of unwanted email, I simply block unwanted or "spam" emails - no problem. Unwanted mail goes into the recycle bin.

My opinions may not be popular but one thing that I am not is rude. Everyone is entitled to an opinion (and to politely debate issues). IMO, some of the responses on this thread make my point.

Getting back on topic, it is interesting that some countries can fine you for unwanted mail. I'm wondering if they can sue a company in another country for this - especially a country that does not have this law and may not even be aware that such a law exists? In terms of unwanted email, I simply block unwanted or "spam" emails - no problem. Unwanted mail goes into the recycle bin.

I tend to think majority are very helpful on this board and polite. There occasionally is one person that tends to visit this board and cause disruption and always wants to have the last word. This same person beats anyone up on the Regent board if they have a difference of opinion or have had a problem with a Regent cruise.

We will all await your last word ;-)

Getting back on topic, it is interesting that some countries can fine you for unwanted mail. I'm wondering if they can sue a company in another country for this - especially a country that does not have this law and may not even be aware that such a law exists?

I interpretted the topic is that the OP is choosing their vacation provider based on the volume of unsolicated mail they receive.

To answer your question and to clarify a previous posters comment about Canadian laws to control mail it's not quite correct. The CRTC does manage unsolicited telephone calls and there is unwanted email antispam legislation (http://www.fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home) but it speaks of email, not mail. Also in the 'get the facts' section it reads:

"No law will eliminate all spam, including that from overseas. CASL allows Canadian enforcement against spammers operating in Canada."

So we continue to get unsolicited email (we must in fact opt in) that originates outside of Canada because unless it's very egregious no one is going to spend the resources to enforce this in a foreign jurisdiction. In a sense creating an unlevel playing field for Canadian companies but it is the right thing to do.

The OP was complaining about mail not email. We too get too much mail from O and consider the expense and the waste of resources but I'm not about to choose my cruise line based on that.

That said, assuming the OP was even serious and not just trying to stir the pot, we all have our "raw nerve". Usually it's not a big thing but a little annoying thing that one just can't let go of. Like getting an itch under the cast on a broken leg.

I had one with O for a long time and it did take the wind out of my sails for cruising with them. A really tiny issue but it was all about attitude. Happily I can report that I have let go of that issue. Mainly because it's been replaced with a new one :} A little like tilting at windmills, it keeps one preoccupied.

Edited by YoHoHo

I interpretted the topic is that the OP is choosing their vacation provider based on the volume of unsolicated mail they receive.

To answer your question and to clarify a previous posters comment about Canadian laws to control mail it's not quite correct. The CRTC does manage unsolicited telephone calls and there is unwanted email antispam legislation (http://www.fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home) but it speaks of email, not mail. Also in the 'get the facts' section it reads:

"No law will eliminate all spam, including that from overseas. CASL allows Canadian enforcement against spammers operating in Canada."

So we continue to get unsolicited email (we must in fact opt in) that originates outside of Canada because unless it's very egregious no one is going to spend the resources to enforce this in a foreign jurisdiction. In a sense creating an unlevel playing field for Canadian companies but it is the right thing to do.

The OP was complaining about mail not email. We too get too much mail from O and consider the expense and the waste of resources but I'm not about to choose my cruise line based on that.

That said, assuming the OP was even serious and not just trying to stir the pot, we all have our "raw nerve". Usually it's not a big thing but a little annoying thing that one just can't let go of. Like getting an itch under the cast on a broken leg.

I had one with O for a long time and it did take the wind out of my sails for cruising with them. A really tiny issue but it was all about attitude. Happily I can report that I have let go of that issue. Mainly because it's been replaced with a new one :} A little like tilting at windmills, it keeps one preoccupied.

Thank you so much for your kind and informative response:) Unfortunately, although the U.S. made attempts to stop unsolicited phone calls they failed. Instead, phone companies sell phone that allow you to block the numbers.

Edited by Travelcat2

I don't see any Oceania cruises listed in Tim's cruise list .... the word MORE assumes he has been on at least one. Clarification please. How did you get on their list?

BTW - Disney cruises keeps advertising on my television and NO MORE DISNEY CRUISES for me until they stop- -- I haven't been on one yet but, oh well......

:)

Being loyal to your favorite cause or company or cruise line is one thing but to chastise another persons opinion is just being small.

Except that in the case of the OP, we weren't discussing an opinion; we were discussing an action that seemed so extreme as to be perplexing. English Tim doesn't criticize anything about the Oceania cruise experience. Lacking evidence to the contrary, we're expected to believe he loves Oceania's food, its itineraries, its service, its low-key entertainment, and its demographic. Yet he still felt motivated to stop cruising on Oceania because he gets too much mail from corporate.

In the early days of internet groups, participants had to learn to handle deliberately outrageous posts that had no purpose beyond stirring up a response. ETim's reply (#12) to post #11 essentially declares his goal was to be provocative. So who knows if he really is going to swear off cruising on Oceania, and will any reader's life be affected if that's the way ETim makes decisions about his life.

I find that the majority of posters on this board are helpful and supportive, and, as a result, we're out of practice dealing with deliberately inflammatory, manipulative posts. Apparently, we needed this thread to be reminded "Don't feed the troll."

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I don't see any Oceania cruises listed in Tim's cruise list .... the word MORE assumes he has been on at least one. Clarification please. How did you get on their list?

BTW - Disney cruises keeps advertising on my television and NO MORE DISNEY CRUISES for me until they stop- -- I haven't been on one yet but, oh well......

:)

Oceania Riviera Oct 16-26, 2016

Oceania Riviera Oct 16-26, 2016

Thanks Tim.

Did you enjoy the cruise? have a good time? What did you like and not like about it?

My first cruise coming up so excited to find out your opinion. I see you are going on Crystal which I considered.

I like getting mail. Need something to read when I am on the throne and having lunch by myself. My re-cycle bin does not go by weight so anything I do not want goes in there. If O wants to keep spending the money then keep up the junk mail. I like it. If I have to go to the mailbox then I want to find something in it. Just me.

Thanks Tim.

Did you enjoy the cruise? have a good time? What did you like and not like about it?

My first cruise coming up so excited to find out your opinion. I see you are going on Crystal which I considered.

We always enjoy our cruises and this one as no exception.

We had a PH suite with butler, but didn't feel they need for such services or the desire to tip extra. We had enough OBC to cover tips and drinks package upgrade for me.

We usually splash for an inclusive cruise, then spend little onboard as we feel most lines rip you off. We do independent tours or when in Europe, wander on our own, but this can result in missing out.

You will have a brilliant cruise as long as you travel with an open mind and treat everything as an adventure.

We have tried many lines, but now tend to stick with smaller ships, with included drinks.

Have been on a bunch of Oceania cruises and do not know what the class system is if there is one at all. WE all eat in the same places and sit in the same chairs at the pool and have to wait for a table in the terrace. I am not sure the majority of us come on this forum to reek havoc. We all have opinions and smetimes they are different from others but I do not think they are just trying to cause trouble. Just my opinion. :):):)

That's the reason I LOVE Oceania. I'm an inside dweller and have never felt felt "outclassed." Unlike other cruise lines I don't have to stare at the specialty restaurant diners with envy because I'm too cheap to pay the upcharges.

Back to the original topic, I don't like email spam either, and somehow I don't get any from Oceania (sailed with them twice, booked for a third). We DO, however, get a lot of brochures, seemingly DAILY! While I can't help thinking they have an excessive marketing budget, inevitably, I DO look at all of them.... :)

That's the reason I LOVE Oceania. I'm an inside dweller and have never felt felt "outclassed." Unlike other cruise lines I don't have to stare at the specialty restaurant diners with envy because I'm too cheap to pay the upcharges.

Back to the original topic, I don't like email spam either, and somehow I don't get any from Oceania (sailed with them twice, booked for a third). We DO, however, get a lot of brochures, seemingly DAILY! While I can't help thinking they have an excessive marketing budget, inevitably, I DO look at all of them.... :)

If the direct mail frequency and e-mail ads were not productive then they would not be doing them...

In your eyes a waste.. In their eyes very profitable... Remember its a business and advertising and keeping the companies name in front of the customer as much as possible is a tried and true strategy.

If the direct mail frequency and e-mail ads were not productive then they would not be doing them...

In your eyes a waste.. In their eyes very profitable... Remember its a business and advertising and keeping the companies name in front of the customer as much as possible is a tried and true strategy.

Again, I love to get mail. Never know when a cruise that I did not notice will pop out. Keep em coming for me. :):):)

Try using this address if you want to remove your name from their mailing list. It came from their Facebook page.

"Please email your complete mailing address to SocialMedia@OceaniaCruises.com."

did not work for me :(

I started getting Regent brochures as well :eek:

I have now asked my TA if she can help get me off the list

Time will tell

did not work for me :(

I started getting Regent brochures as well :eek:

I have now asked my TA if she can help get me off the list

Time will tell

LOL - I get O brochures almost daily which is OK by me and have asked repeatedly for emails but have yet to receive one in 10+ years of sailing with them.