Just Embarked the Equinox. IMPRESSED!

ChucktownSteve

About the post cruise charges from the mini-bar. This was a wide spread problem ~ 10 years ago. It happened to us 3 times. Each time called and got it refunded. I hate to see that it's happening again.

Only explanation I might have is that when we were on the Equinox 11/18 they were completely restocking the mini bars with I think a different inventory (more soda and beers). I wonder if the people taking the inventory are getting confused. Mistakes happen but the frequency of it being reported on CC should send a signal to management that it's a MAJOR problem that needs to be corrected immediately.

With so many people having the beverage packages I wish they would either just include it in the package or remove it completely. But this is all topic for another thread.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Steve,

I am among the many who have enjoyed your daily updates. Sorry that you were traveling alone, but the masses out here really benefited from your extra time. Over the last week every time I woke up early (or in the middle of the night), it seemed as if you had just posted an update.

Steve--Thank you for a great review. We are sailing on the Mardi Gras cruise, too. We also booked a May 5 cruise when they had the big promotion this summer. We have not saile X in 6 years and never on this class of ship. :eek::D

Just a bit over two months and our Mardi Gras cruise will be in full swing.

BILL

Steve

I just realized we're on the Eclipse immediately after you get off.

Sorry we won't get to meet you (unless we pass in the terminal) but please, please try to post at least a little to give us a heads up as to what's going on on board!

I'm hoping our CD will be Sara Romera!

Thanks!

Steve

Sorry we won't get to meet you (unless we pass in the terminal) but please, please try to post at least a little to give us a heads up as to what's going on on board!

Thanks!

The CD is Damian de Lorenzis.

OMG!! Sorry I haven't been able to post but the internet has been down all night!

Thank you for following. I've got more to post but I don't know if the wifi speed will let me upload the pictures. Now that it's back on, it's extremely slow.

I went to the Icafe earlier to see if I could log on one of their machines. I could log on BUT couldn't get onto the internet. Others there were complaining about the same thing.

One guy said the Icafe crew member told him it was his devices. He replied, I don't think so on my ipad, my phone and my GF's phone. It's you.

Steve

Thanks!

The CD is Damian de Lorenzis.

Sorry - I should have been clearer - we're on the Eclipse sailing of Feb. 4, after Steve's next cruise.

Sorry - I should have been clearer - we're on the Eclipse sailing of Feb. 4, after Steve's next cruise.

Morning chamima,

Wish I could do the same for the next cruise however I know I won't be able to. Hopefully someone else will be able to do a live. I do image it will very similar to this one though. Even some of the same ports: St. Kitts, St Maartin, Barbados. But also Bonaire, Curacao, an overnight in Aruba and St. Croix.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

are you a dog or cat person??..how can I thank you for your pleasure and work you have given us..I would like to give $$ to my local animal rescue centre in your spirit.Anita

Good morning Anita,

I'm allergic to cats. Here is a picture of our rescue we've had three years. His name is Mickey and he's a begger. It gets him everything he wants from my DW. Notice how fast his tail is waggin? A mile a minute.

Mickey%20at%20Groomer_zpskcabek2j.jpg

In the top left picture he was beggin' the groomer for a treat.

Morning chamima,

Wish I could do the same for the next cruise however I know I won't be able to. Hopefully someone else will be able to do a live. I do image it will very similar to this one though. Even some of the same ports: St. Kitts, St Maartin, Barbados. But also Bonaire, Curacao, an overnight in Aruba and St. Croix.

I do understand that spending time with your wife will be the focus of your next trip.

If you get a little time I just wanted to know about things on board - not the ports. (Like great bartenders to look for, CD, waiters, etc.)

(We've been to those ports so many times that we're considering making this a port-less cruise and not getting off the ship. ;) )

After nine days, I found a surprise which obviously everyone I mentioned it to already knew. :o It's the biggest storage space in the cabin. Yesterday I looked at it and though hummm. Is that a pull down bed? Nope.

IMG_1879_zpsyhatcp2b.jpg

This afternoon the hors devors. (yeah I know it's not spelled correctly)

Seems to be a lot of cheese. Brie, mozzy and some other type with smoked salmon and a tiny bit of cucumber.

IMG_1880_zpsncyx2mwi.jpg

I stopped by the Guest Services desk to pick up five comment cards. This is important if you wish to compliment great service/personality. Sometimes it results in extra time off for the crew member. They also post the comments and share them with the crew. It's like bragging rights among peers.

IMG_1881_zpsraynrdlp.jpg

Before I go on about the WC bar again, I spoke with I Made (pronounced Mah Dee) It seems that's a common name in Bali that describes that he was the second male born in his family. So next time you run into someone with the name tag I Made, say something like, I bet you're the second son. I'd like to hear about his reaction if you do.

This is the lighted table top in the WC bar.

IMG_1883_zpsmpmbbves.jpg

And the secret ingredients they use to make those magical drinks.

IMG_1884_zpsildbawgg.jpg

Being in Concierge, I received a bottle of Celebrity bubbly. I don't drink it so I find a crew member who's service I enjoyed. I ask them is they drink and would like to have the bottle to drink or share with friends. This trip Yalana in the WC bar was given the bottle yesterday. On our last cruise, we gave a barista in Cafe al Bacio who we've seen on two cruises was the recipient. Why should it go to waste?

Thank you for your very enjoyable review.

Not sure if you have spent the last of you onboard credit yet but you could buy some chocolates, if you wife likes them, and hand carry them to her. Very romantic.

This cruise is on my to do list!! Some day.....

I do understand that spending time with your wife will be the focus of your next trip.

If you get a little time I just wanted to know about things on board - not the ports. (Like great bartenders to look for, CD, waiters, etc.)

(We've been to those ports so many times that we're considering making this a port-less cruise and not getting off the ship. ;) )

I won't have the internet package and certainly won't pay for iffy service. If I get some free internet minutes as newly Elite, I'll see what I can do to post something but it won't be a live from. Deal?

Thank you for your very enjoyable review.

Not sure if you have spent the last of you onboard credit yet but you could buy some chocolates, if you wife likes them, and hand carry them to her. Very romantic.

This cruise is on my to do list!! Some day.....

That's a good idea. However I already spent half of it on jewelry for her and half on liquor for me. That left me a $7.75 credit which I went to Guest Services and directed it to my cabin attendant. I'll supplement the amount with more cash later today.

I grew a beard last month for No Shave November to spread Prostrate Cancer awareness in men. It's been decades since I've grown one but it was almost full in two weeks.

During the cruise, I've been joking with one of the female security crew that I was going to shave but I'd only do half the face so I could turn side ways and she'd be able to match that side with the picture that comes up on their security screen. She told me don't shave. I looked good with the beard.

My DW didn't like it at first. She asked why I was growing it so I sent her a link to the No Shave November web site. She emailed me back, "No Kiss November" :D However she seemed to change her mind just before the cruise and seemed to mind it less and less.

Anyway, This morning I shaved half my face, the right side. I took a couple of selfies (I've only done a selfie once before in my life). One full frontal, one facing left and one facing right. Then I shaved the rest off.

Nobody yet has seen me so it will be interesting to see their reaction.

TYVM for your comment. Is it ok if I only shoot each day's events page instead of the whole Celebrity today?

PERFECT! Thank you so much! I'm so glad you're enjoying your cruise, even if your wife couldn't make it. Smart for getting the captain's club points - I'm a little ahead of my husband in points as well, so I'll hit elite before he does. What's it matter? He reaps the same benefits. :D

After stopping at the WC bar before dinner to meet with several of the roll call members for some very enjoyable time, it was off to the dining room while Bill & Rosie went to a specialty restaurant. Tonight is lobster night and Evening Chic.

As an appetizer I order two scallops Rockefeller. They were small bay scallops so the server Alex, brought me two more.

IMG_1885_zps40nzz51p.jpg

When the sommelier arrived, I told him what I ordered and had the Premium package. I asked what he would recommend. He suggested a Chardonnay from France. I'm not much of a wine drinker but he was so right. It complimented the scallops and lobster well.

IMG_1886_zpsdixskegm.jpg

The lobster tail was good but small so I ordered a second one. The assistant waiter, Carmelito seperated the meat from the shell for everyone but one of the table mates who beat him to it. :D

For dessert I order the Raspberry sorbet. I asked the sommelier to recommend a dessert wine to compliment the sorbet's rich flavor. OMG the two combined to a burst of flavor in my mouth. I did take the opportunity to slip the sommelier a little sumthin' sumthin'.

All in all the last three dinners have escalated from the beginning which did not initially impress.

My DW, Rosie, and I are on this cruise with Steve. When we boarded we purchased the ultimate dining package and Steve has asked me to create a post about that. ( I should note that the ultimate dining package is going away with Cruises starting January 2017. In 2017 you be able to buy as many nights of specialty dining as you wish and you will receive a better price per night, based on the number of nights that you purchase.)

On this cruise the ultimate dining package gave Rosie and I the privilege of dining in specialty restaurants each night. Contrary to popular belief you do not have to dine in all of the restaurants, you can pick and choose which ones you prefer. In fact, if you wish to dine in only one restaurant every night, you may do so.

Food is very subjective, that being said, Rosie and I booked two nights in the Tuscan Grille and eight nights in Murano. After our first night in the Tuscan Grille, being greatly disappointed, we switched our second night in Tuscan, to the Murano.

The best way to describe the food in Murano is a French flavored restaurant done in an American style, if there can be any such thing. Anyhow, we had many dishes from the menu, they also made us some of the old favorites that are no longer on the menu, and in one word every meal was fantastic. Some of the most popular dishes in Murano are the lobster prepared tableside and Crepe Boullon Rouge, as a dessert, also prepared tableside. The Dover sole is fantastic, as is the venison.

Yesterday afternoon Rosie and I had lunch in silk harvest. We both felt the food was very good and well prepared. However, based on having a choice of dining in Murano, or silk harvestfor dinner, I would choose Murano.

BILL

I won't have the internet package and certainly won't pay for iffy service. If I get some free internet minutes as newly Elite, I'll see what I can do to post something but it won't be a live from. Deal?

Deal !!!!

(You should get 90 minutes for Elite. That's what I get and I find it's just enough to check my emails every so often. My husband has to "work" so he gets the unlimited.)

I grew a beard last month for No Shave November to spread Prostrate Cancer awareness in men. It's been decades since I've grown one but it was almost full in two weeks.

During the cruise, I've been joking with one of the female security crew that I was going to shave but I'd only do half the face so I could turn side ways and she'd be able to match that side with the picture that comes up on their security screen. She told me don't shave. I looked good with the beard.

My DW didn't like it at first. She asked why I was growing it so I sent her a link to the No Shave November web site. She emailed me back, "No Kiss November" :D However she seemed to change her mind just before the cruise and seemed to mind it less and less.

Anyway, This morning I shaved half my face, the right side. I took a couple of selfies (I've only done a selfie once before in my life). One full frontal, one facing left and one facing right. Then I shaved the rest off.

Nobody yet has seen me so it will be interesting to see their reaction.

I love your sense of humor! :D

When I met my husband he had a mustache.

About 5 or so years ago he kept talking about shaving it off and I begged him not to.

Well, you know the end of the story - one Saturday night he came downstairs with no mustache. I REALLY hated it at first but am used to it now.

Can't wait to see if people won't recognize you without the beard. :p

Great to hear, and not surprised. I remember my first impression when on Silhouette first. I am on Equinox for the sailing just after New Years, 3 weeks away... can't wait! Would love to hear more of your experience onboard this beautiful ship.

I just realized I think we're on the same cruise. Are you on the roll call?

I haven't shown any dessert menus this cruise so here is one from last night. As I said in an earlier post, I had the sorbet.

IMG_1887_zps1cpiurty.jpg

Today is our last sea day. We crossed the international Florida timeline last night (lol) so the clocks were set back one hour. I was awake at 4am but couldn't get online. I had to wait until 6am to get an Americano...or two. I beat them there to opening.

When I went, I was sporting my full beard. I broke down and had a banana muffin.

IMG_1897_zps91hgw1qo.jpg

Oops too late, you should have looked at this picture sooner. They're baked in the paper.

Now the final sea day Celebrity Today.

IMG_1898_zpsq3xo1xjo.jpg

IMG_1899_zps5qararnb.jpg

OK I've taken my pictures of my shaving escapade as mentioned earlier. I'm clean shaven. I went back to Cafe al Bacio. The first trip the server recognized me and confirmed I wanted the Americano. The second trip (beardless) she came up to me and asked me what I wanted to drink. She didn't even recognize me as a regular customer. Bear in mind we're only talking about an hour's difference.

The complimentary backstage tour was this morning for Select & Elite Club members. I'm glad I took it. I won't bore you with ALL the details but here goes a synopsis.

In 2014 Celebrity took the production shows in house. Each entertainer is hired on individual contracts. For the production shows, they hire a specific cast. The one on Equinox is 17 members. Some dancers, some singers, some aerialists, some combinations of singing & dancing. Once the unit is put together it stays together for the entire contract which is about eight months. They also cross train in case one needs to fill in for another for various reasons. The shows are actually fluid based upon conditions of the seas. They may switch from high heals to more flat in rough seas.

They train in Miami for six months learning all the routines. Then they arrive on the ship and have two weeks learning the blocking, set & costume changes etc. They have two days to prepare for their first show with lots of rehearsals. Then they're practicing the next show and performing it. Then so on. They do daily rehearsals.

The newest show is called Topper, which they performed last night and is the most costume intensive. I didn't see it but everyone in the tour was raving about it. Later we got to see the costumes up close. You have no idea what goes into making them.

We were split into two groups. This is the men's dressing room. The woman's in on the other side of the stage.

IMG_1912_zpsypkaszuu.jpg

Some Wardrobe room pics.

IMG_1914_zpsopivawc4.jpg

IMG_1917_zpsswbmeuev.jpg

This is one of the dancers holding her Topper costume. It's quite heavy. Those are stones.

IMG_1918_zpsa3nla2ax.jpg

IMG_1919_zpsedbsqxkx.jpg

I asked if they've ever cancelled or shortened a show's performance because the audience didn't like it. They said yes. Celebrity reviews all of the comments in the survey and comment cards. If enough people don't like something they either change the show or cancel it.

All the entertainers/musicians you see on board either bands or duos etc are hired individually and paired up with generic performing names. If one's contract ends or they don't perform any longer, another person is brought in to replace that performer and the shows continue. While the production staff remains as a unit, the other performers don't.

I think the IT department fed the hamster that generates the signal for the wifi wheel. It seems to be working again so I was able to post the pictures.

I hope you're enjoying them as much as I certainly enjoyed taking them. OMG it's time for lunch and I don't think I want any. But I may go to get a snap of the menu.

Oh I forgot to mention the CD and activities director were shooting their daily comments in the WC bar last night. We were on camera. Damien turned to us and said Darko was a good bartender for a long time there. I pointed out from the bar that so was Jalana. Afterwards, I didn't hear it but saw it on the TV, Damian said I looked like Al Pacino. But I've heard that before when it was the Serpico era. Anyway, though I would just throw that in. I recorded the segment on my iPhone from the cabin TV.

Hasta la byebye.

Edited by ChucktownSteve