Feeling frustrated re: NLC in "Belize"....

AandBmom

I just learned that the new NLC port in Belize is off the mainland and you can't do anything through private companies. I'm feeling a little frustrated that I didn't understand this when I booked. I was so looking forward to going to Belize mainland and showing my extended family the culture, the cave tubing, etc.

I know we'll go and make the best of it. In fact, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this new port. But right now I'm feeling pretty frustrated.

If anyone is just back from there I'd love to hear what you thought. Especially if you were there with kids.

Thanks so much.

I just learned that the new NLC port in Belize is off the mainland and you can't do anything through private companies. I'm feeling a little frustrated that I didn't understand this when I booked. I was so looking forward to going to Belize mainland and showing my extended family the culture, the cave tubing, etc.

I know we'll go and make the best of it. In fact, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this new port. But right now I'm feeling pretty frustrated.

If anyone is just back from there I'd love to hear what you thought. Especially if you were there with kids.

Thanks so much.

I feel your pain.

We were there Thanksgiving week - the third cruise to stop there. Loved it. You walk through a cute shopping area first, then a large pool area and the beach just past that on the right hand side. Chairs are provided also. On the left hand side is a kayaking area, butterfly garden, boa constrictor and some birds. Think there was a childrens play area also but we are 2 adults who were really only interested in the beach so didn't check out everything. We didn't do an excursion this time but pretty sure they left from there also.

The information about this port has been available for a few years now.

No doubt. Just frustrated with myself for not noticing. I assumed it would be the same port I attended last time in Belize. It will surely be okay. Just put a wrench in my planning. Kids really wanted to cave tube. We could still through NCL but the cost just went from around $600 through private company to now around $1100 for our group. Yikes.

. It ended up being a great at beach day. We didn't get off first thing and walked right to the beach. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas still available. The water was calm and we just enjoyed the lazy day. There was no food or drink service on the beach but we really didn't mind. I thought we'd head back on board for lunch but we actually stayed until about 3:30 and the buffet on getaway was still open by 4. Go and enjoy. There were also no beach vendors so maybe that added to the relaxation.

Edited by WestCoastCruiser123

Since we cruise to experience local culture, not beaches, pools, etc. I am glad that we've been able to experience the various sections of Belize on former cruises. Otherwise I'd be extremely disappointed by not being able to go to the mainland.

Numerous threads on the board explaining this wonderful stop. It is much nicer than stopping in Belize City, and a lot safer, and as real as Belize City.

If the poster thought they were stopping in Belize as opposed to 'harvest Caye' I completely understand the disappointment. For someone who wants to walk of the ship and walk around or go to a beach, harvest caye is a big improvement. For someone like us who wants to tour the country we are visiting and see the unique things it has (like cave tubing in Belize) it's a disappointment. Harvest caye holds very little appeal to me. We aren't just 'sit at the beach' people. The private islands where the food and drinks (w ubp) are included wouldn't be bad, as it's a completely free day. But a stop w nothing to do but the beach AND have to pay resort prices for food and drink; no thanks. Can go to Florida for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we cruise to experience local culture, not beaches, pools, etc. I am glad that we've been able to experience the various sections of Belize on former cruises. Otherwise I'd be extremely disappointed by not being able to go to the mainland.

Several of the excursions still take you into Belize:

Spice Farm has a bus ride and includes ruins and botanical gardens

River Tubing

Rafting

There are locals that are part of the Island staff to provide some local exposure. The shops will have local wares for sale, so some local flavor.

I'm not as focused on seeing the "culture", but not opposed to it. We took a bus ride last summer for an excursion in Belize. This time I'm fine to simply enjoy what is on Harvest Caye. I booked the Mangrove excursion as that will give a tour of the new island and show me some wild life that is also part of the region.

Several of the excursions still take you into Belize:

Spice Farm has a bus ride and includes ruins and botanical gardens

River Tubing

Rafting

There are locals that are part of the Island staff to provide some local exposure. The shops will have local wares for sale, so some local flavor.

I'm not as focused on seeing the "culture", but not opposed to it. We took a bus ride last summer for an excursion in Belize. This time I'm fine to simply enjoy what is on Harvest Caye. I booked the Mangrove excursion as that will give a tour of the new island and show me some wild life that is also part of the region.

TheDougout reported that the electric boats you can rent there are great and it's only like $40 for the boat. I think it holds 2 people.

TheDougout reported that the electric boats you can rent there are great and it's only like $40 for the boat. I think it holds 2 people.

Those boats are fantastic - almost as relaxing as a monkey crawling on you.

I'm frustrated that I don't have a cruise booked with an itinerary that includes Harvest Caye. I understand the frustrations of those that want something else, but for us it was a tough-to-beat beach/pool day.

Those boats are fantastic - almost as relaxing as a monkey crawling on you.

I'm frustrated that I don't have a cruise booked with an itinerary that includes Harvest Caye. I understand the frustrations of those that want something else, but for us it was a tough-to-beat beach/pool day.

It looked like your day at Maya Chan relaxing on the inflatable chairs in the ocean while being served alcoholic concoctions of your choice certainly trumped Harvest Caye, but only slightly I'm sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If the poster thought they were stopping in Belize as opposed to 'harvest Caye' I completely understand the disappointment. For someone who wants to walk of the ship and walk around or go to a beach, harvest caye is a big improvement. For someone like us who wants to tour the country we are visiting and see the unique things it has (like cave tubing in Belize) it's a disappointment. Harvest caye holds very little appeal to me. We aren't just 'sit at the beach' people. The private islands where the food and drinks (w ubp) are included wouldn't be bad, as it's a completely free day. But a stop w nothing to do but the beach AND have to pay resort prices for food and drink; no thanks. Can go to Florida for that.

Agree, We live close to many beaches, so it is not a big attraction to us either, especially without included food and UBP! Glad we made it to Belize City last year, but I totally understand the attraction if you are a beach person. Hoping there will be a water taxi to the mainland

Safe sailing

I always liked to stop at the pharmacy in Belize city, There must be a way to the mainland even if NCL has the franchise. Water taxi or sumpthin

NCL has COMPLETE control over Harvest Caye and are not permitting any non-contracted NCL tour operators/vendors to dock there. If you are not on an NCL sponsored excursion there is no way off the island. Period, end of .........