Any different amenities between standard balcony and mini-suite?

sloopsailor

We just upgraded to a mini suite from a standard balcony due to price drops in conjunction with the latest promotion. Are the amenities different between a standard balcony and a mini-suite? I know the difference in square footage and shower vs tub, but aren't sure about any extras, if any, that come with the mini-suites.

Thanks for any information you might share.

We just upgraded to a mini suite from a standard balcony due to price drops in conjunction with the latest promotion. Are the amenities different between a standard balcony and a mini-suite? I know the difference in square footage and shower vs tub, but aren't sure about any extras, if any, that come with the mini-suites.

An awesome glass of headache water when you arrive.

If you pick a Club Class Mini then thats a different story.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You do get a sofa in a mini-suite, which is why the whole two-TV thing matters. Or just the whole idea of one spouse staying up later or getting earlier than the other.

P.S.: And if Keith doesn't want his headache water, he can just pass it on to me. I'll be willing to call it champagne.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

If you are on the Regal or the Royal, you will have a curtain that separates the couch and the bed. We found that to be a really nice feature. Also, your bathroom will have a tub (with a shower) in lieu of the world's tiniest shower.

The best one is a little bit extra space with the couch.

The glass of champagne on arrival

Bath tub shower, more room in the bathroom, but you already knew about that.

Congrats, awesome!!

In a mini-suite beware that either control will work both TVs. We have found that changing the channel on one changes the other one as well depending on where you are located in the room.

Club class mini-suites are configured the same way as regular mini-suits. For the extra $$$ you also get:

1. prime location on the ship (center)

2. special entrance to a special MDR and immediate seating for breakfast and dinner every day and lunch on sea days

3. exclusive menu items

4. table side preparation

5. dedicated wait staff

6. in-room wine set up (1/2 bottle red and 1/2 bottle white) when you board

7. evening canapes

8. priority embark and debark

9. upgraded bed

10. upgraded bathrobes

11. priority specialty dining reservations

Congrats on your upgrade. For us the benefit is the extra space. We love it and will not go back to a regular balcony. Don't think we will try the club class mini as it sounds like the concierge class was on Celebrity - a few extra perks (like appetizers we could have done without) and a lot more money.

Congrats on your upgrade. For us the benefit is the extra space. We love it and will not go back to a regular balcony. Don't think we will try the club class mini as it sounds like the concierge class was on Celebrity - a few extra perks (like appetizers we could have done without) and a lot more money.

Except no concierge with CC on Princess. :rolleyes:

In a mini-suite beware that either control will work both TVs. We have found that changing the channel on one changes the other one as well depending on where you are located in the room.

The two TVs seem rather pointless, and certainly not a draw for us. The "bedroom" and "sitting room" are really only one room. If one TV was on one channel and the other on another, it would be impossible to concentrate on either - the sound from each is just inches from the other! Seems it would have been just as effective to have a single TV on a swivel like other cruise lines do. I would rather they had spend the money on additional amenities than on that 2nd TV. Something like a height adjustable shower head, for instance.

For us, what makes the mini be the choice over the balcony class is :1. full-size tub and shower, and 2. "sitting room, with sofa and chair, coffee table - on anything over just a 3 day or so, cruise, it is very nice to have somewhere to relax and enjoy a beverage of your choice, other than sitting on the bed .

...VTX-Al

We just got our first upgrade too. (we are Platinum).

PCL didn't tell us, we found out elsewhere.

We know Dolphin deck has uncovered balconies, so for us, who spend a lot of time there, that upgrade for a long cruise isn't worth it.

I love having the bathtub and the loveseat though.

Patti

There are TWO thermostats in mini suites. Remember to adjust BOTH of them. ;) LuLu

Appreciate these excellent tips, ideas, etc. Getting ready to do a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017 on a Princess ship in a mini-suite. This includes stops in Aruba (that we did in early 2015), Cartagena/Colombia, Puntarenas/Costa Rica, San Juan del Sur/Nicaragua and Cabo San Lucas/Mexico. This would be our first time for visiting Colombia, Panama Canal, Central America, etc. It’s eight sea days, which is a little high for us, but it is a little “get-away” from the Midwest winter. Have any others done the Panama Canal and/or any of these other locations. Added secrets, tips, suggestions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 163,495 views for this posting.

We love the extra space of the Mini Suites. Like other's said the large bathtub shower combo is great. Sometimes, a nice relaxing hot bath is so nice.

Personally I love having the small sofa. It is much more comfortable than the desk chair, plus the coffee table is nice to have.

While on one of our 5 cruises to Alaska it was rather rainy & cold. I would angle the couch a little to have a better view outside while staying warm and watch the scenery when I wanted to sit for while. I still spent a lot of time outdoors regardless of the weather.

I love the extra large balcony. Being uncovered is not a problem for us at all, even for Alaska Cruises. I'd never hesitate to accept an upgrade to a Mini Suite. I don't understand some peoples aversion to having a really large uncovered balcony. It does not matter if people see me...I'm cute even with wild crazy morning hair. hahaha.

I would cherish a upgrade from our balcony to any Mini Suite for our February 25th, 2017 Mexican Riviera Cruise. If not I'm more than happy with our balcony stateroom at a steal of price.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year CC Friends.

Love the minis and find significant value without needing to pay extra for the club-class upgrade. I'm an early-riser so having the sitting room with separate TV allows me to read comfortably or watch a program without bothering DH. A biggie for us is also the ability to look directly down into the water (dolphin deck minis -natch); we've been treated to many wonderful critter-sightings, and that whosh/fizz of the waives. Before my first mini I thought "I'm a shower taker so I don't care about a tub", but the tub gives you a large shower space, plus you can hang lots of swim-gear after time in the pool or snorkeling. Have a terrific cruise!

We discovered the "Window Mini Suite" on our last cruise. It's a mini but doesn't have a balcony. Instead, the area that would normally be a balcony is incorporated into the cabin space and there is a window. We had no idea there even was such a cabin.

It was all the way forward on Island Princess and there was a forward viewing deck (without lounges) just a few steps away from our cabin door. As it was a southbound from Alaska after out land tour portion we really didn't miss the balcony - especially with that viewing deck so near. We had excellent views of the shore from our window and, if we wanted to see to the Starboard, we simply went out on the viewing deck. The weather was "brisk" so sitting outside on the balcony wouldn't have really been all that attractive anyway.

I am a shower person (tubs tend to be too small for me to really enjoy them) but did appreciate having more room for my shower as well as the bit of expanded other bathroom space. Having the sofa was a definite plus.

We don't really watch much TV onboard so, when we did, both sets were tuned to the same thing anyway. (We killed our TV cable about 14 years ago. We do watch movies and some Netflix shows but mostly shows from the UK where there is no laugh track (UGH!!!), no commercials, and everybody isn't a freaking model.)

I'm a retired California state employee so not exactly flush with cash. We are very please that we can cruise but don't usually book a mini as we can cruise more often if we book a balcony or OV cabin.

As for the "headache water"... We weren't impressed with the free bubbly in the cabin. However, we have won bottles of "champagne" several times on Princess cruises. Twice it was surprisingly drinkable. The last one we won was a different label and was truly horrible. Given our two previous experiences we figured it would be drinkable but not anything to write home about. This one we opened, tasted, and poured down the drain. OMG it was bad! I guess we were probably incredibly lucky the first two times or maybe they gave out a slightly better wine for the things we did to receive it.

However, we have won bottles of "champagne" several times on Princess cruises. Twice it was surprisingly drinkable. The last one we won was a different label and was truly horrible. Given our two previous experiences we figured it would be drinkable but not anything to write home about. This one we opened, tasted, and poured down the drain. OMG it was bad! I guess we were probably incredibly lucky the first two times or maybe they gave out a slightly better wine for the things we did to receive it.

You are not supposed to pollute the oceans.