Star azipod propulsion problem

Circusboy354

Typically, even for very slow required speeds to the next port, they will run both of the azipods all the time, as letting one freewheel only increases the power required (though not as much as if a non-op pod was locked from rotating). This is the strong-point of diesel electric drive. You can optimize the fuel consumption by matching the number of generators to the power demand. The ships with only 4 diesel generators are somewhat hamstrung with this, those ships with 5 or 6 smaller diesel generators have far more flexibility and redundancy.

Just look at the QM2. She has 4 pods (mermaids, not azipods) for a total of 86Mw of propulsion. Even at reduced speed she will run all four. But, she has 4 diesel generators for a total of 67.2Mw, and she does very well on just these to make the crossing. She also has 2 gas turbine generators for a total of another 50Mw, that she only uses to get from about 22 knots to 30 knots.

We were due to board on the 22nd. We canceled and have planned land trips to most places the ship was supposed to go. We get to spend some more time in each port and alison now we go to Angkor so very excited about that. We had a family suite and an inside so wit the refund and the purchased airfare and hotels etc it i going to be a wash. Now I'm Zurich now on a stopover headed to Hong Kong in a few hours.

I am not experienced with these matters but the refund and 50% sounded very reasonable to us but wondering why the cruise for 22nd which is similarly affected is not getting the exact same offer?

Also, considering ncl has made it clear that further itinerary changes are possible and the ports they are stopping at are industrial ports a long way from the "attractions" shouldn't excursions or at least shuttles be put on at no charge????

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I would say the difference is we were already onboard and had infact left the berth before the announcement. I thought it was an exceptional offer - I expected port fees back and maybe an additional 20%.

NCL can't offer shuttles buses in Chan May - they can't get the number of buses required, some of the ships excursions are sold out for our tour due to the lack of buses.

I assume the reason we're arriving at 7pm tomorrow is to allow work on the pods, we've been told there will be no taxis so effectively people can't get into one of the nearby towns easily.

Yes I guess the cruise had already started but ppl are reporting only just now being told so that is only 3 days out and over Xmas and nye. Virtually impossible to practically organise anything at the ports.

Hope you guys onboard are still having a good time. We are on the 5th sailing but we have been to all the ports so relaxed about whatever happens.

I am not experienced with these matters but the refund and 50% sounded very reasonable to us but wondering why the cruise for 22nd which is similarly affected is not getting the exact same offer?

Also, considering ncl has made it clear that further itinerary changes are possible and the ports they are stopping at are industrial ports a long way from the "attractions" shouldn't excursions or at least shuttles be put on at no charge????

I completely agree whether or not we started at Singapore or Hong Kong - the whole of our cruise has been changed from 7 ports to just three. I feel NCL should give the same refund to cruisers setting off on 22nd as the cruisers starting on 8th from Singapore. Our holiday has been ruined before we even get there. Today we were told of next itinerary charge so we can hardly find an alternative now. First time cruisers not very impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We left Singapore at Midnight Tuesday into Wednesday and have been at sea since, doing an average of 10 knots, from what I've noticed as low as 6 and high as 14 for a short period. Chan May is docked, they're currently trying to see if that's available tomorrow and have another reschedule.

I was really surprised and almost amused to see a large number of people around the ship at 7.30 am this morning with backpacks etc thinking they were going ashore.

At this stage I think we're just on a surprise adventure now, the only guarantee is that we'll be in Hong Kong on or before the 22nd. Right after they official announcement that Nha Trang was cancelled the internet went down for an hour. Sea conditions last night were 'very rough' and have been downgraded today to 'rough' although it feels rougher now than earlier.

Hi we are due to come out on cruise on

22nd December; we are really disappointed as we've near been on a cruise or to the ports that we were looking forward to visit. Sorry to ask such menial questions but we are considering whether to cancel. You mention rough seas - is the weather not good? Is it warm etc as the only thing I can see is doing is sunbathing on the boat!! What is the food and entertainment like? Would you recommend it because as far as far as we are concerned now we are paying for a glorified hotel on sea. Even with our refund we are still paying over £8k for this trip. Thanks in advance

Hi we are due to come out on cruise on

22nd December; we are really disappointed as we've near been on a cruise or to the ports that we were looking forward to visit. Sorry to ask such menial questions but we are considering whether to cancel. You mention rough seas - is the weather not good? Is it warm etc as the only thing I can see is doing is sunbathing on the boat!! What is the food and entertainment like? Would you recommend it because as far as far as we are concerned now we are paying for a glorified hotel on sea. Even with our refund we are still paying over £8k for this trip. Thanks in advance

If it was me, I'll bail out like Pieshops is....Airasia has flights to Bangkok for under $200 p/p.

Spend a few days in Bangkok..two days in Siem Reap Cambodia,it's a amazing place

Maybe Phuket or Krabi for a few days.

http://www.airasia.com/au/en/home.page?gclid=CjwKEAiA4dPCBRCM4dqhlv2R1R8SJABom9pHF7XYNPG17ouNk4LHhjmyCQBIoeuA_5jtOwEyGJ0QwxoCjhjw_wcB

We've had a day and a half of rough seas with overcast skies and some rain. It's the wet season in this area so it's to be expected. In about an hour I managed to work out flights and hotels when we were in Singapore. If there are certain cities you want to see and prefer good weather you may be best to cancel, take the refund and book a land based trip.

Due to the weather the other ship didn't stop in Chan May today so we're full speed (as much as you can get on one engine) to Chan May, expected to arrive around 3pm. Sea Levels have dropped back to moderate now but it's still overcast with a little rain.

Yay - I hope you all have a wonderful day in Chan May. You all deserve it!

Do remember you cannot believe 100% of what they post on the navigation channel. Earlier this week it also said our next port stop was CABO!!!!! On occasion the time has been wrong.

We also haven't had any TV for the past few days, and even before that hour by hour the sound and picture kept freezing up so you could only hear every 3rd word. Ship is showing its age.

Do remember you cannot believe 100% of what they post on the navigation channel. Earlier this week it also said our next port stop was CABO!!!!! On occasion the time has been wrong.

We also haven't had any TV for the past few days, and even before that hour by hour the sound and picture kept freezing up so you could only hear every 3rd word. Ship is showing its age.

Not good. Gets better by the minute. Sounds like rubbish weather and now no tv ! cant wait for the 22nd !!!

Not good. Gets better by the minute. Sounds like rubbish weather and now no tv ! cant wait for the 22nd !!!

It sounds rubbish doesn't it. We are still looking for alternatives as our first cruise. Our travel agent isn't helping - has yours been anymore helpful or is it just NCL offering 50% refund??

It sounds rubbish doesn't it. We are still looking for alternatives as our first cruise. Our travel agent isn't helping - has yours been anymore helpful or is it just NCL offering 50% refund??

Doesn't matter who you booked with...Ncl will give everyone the agreed refund.

My travel agent was hopeless. Said NCL needed a decision by the end of the day. Either had to cancel and get full refund or do cruise and get half back. Didn't have much choice. I'm just seeing it now as a mode of transport from Hong Kong to Singapore, not even thinking or planning any ports as may end up not stopping at all. I don't have any faith in NCL and will never cruise with them again, regardless of a future 50% off. I will eAt and drink my way around the boat and ensure I get my monies worth. Have bought lots of books today and even travel scrabble to try and make it more bearable. Trying to be a bit positive but getting increasingly hard!

Our agent offered the same 50% of the cruise content ? eg we paid £4900 for the holiday and were offered £1000 cash back and £1000 voucher for future NLC cruise or cancel and get the £4900 back and £500 voucher for future NLC cruise which is the option we took. Now booked P & O from Barbados on 31st December for two weeks at least it will be good weather and lots of ports unlike the NCL Gem.

My travel agent was hopeless. Said NCL needed a decision by the end of the day. Either had to cancel and get full refund or do cruise and get half back. Didn't have much choice. I'm just seeing it now as a mode of transport from Hong Kong to Singapore, not even thinking or planning any ports as may end up not stopping at all. I don't have any faith in NCL and will never cruise with them again, regardless of a future 50% off. I will eAt and drink my way around the boat and ensure I get my monies worth. Have bought lots of books today and even travel scrabble to try and make it more bearable. Trying to be a bit positive but getting increasingly hard!

Ncl are a good cruise line,it's unfortunate the ship has had problems.....you have been offered fair compensation,its your choice if you accept it.

If it was me,I would cancel and do a land holiday like a few others are doing.

No point bagging Ncl...Im sure they are trying there best to fix the problem.

If it was me, I'll bail out like Pieshops is....Airasia has flights to Bangkok for under $200 p/p.

Spend a few days in Bangkok..two days in Siem Reap Cambodia,it's a amazing place

Maybe Phuket or Krabi for a few days.

http://www.airasia.com/au/en/home.page?gclid=CjwKEAiA4dPCBRCM4dqhlv2R1R8SJABom9pHF7XYNPG17ouNk4LHhjmyCQBIoeuA_5jtOwEyGJ0QwxoCjhjw_wcB

Thanks for that, I am now looking

The way it's worked here and I'm assuming for anyone going on 22nd Dec with 50% refund is that the refund is made to as refundable credit to your shipboard account. Ours was done without asking by the end of the day they announced the problem and refund. A check / cheque will be issued directly from NCL after the cruise.

I think you are being unfair to NCL, this isn't something planned - it's a breakdown. I understand you are disappointed at losing some ports, especially if they were the ones that interested you most but as someone onboard as this played out I can honestly say they are doing their best. 50% refund is a great deal as the duration of the cruise hasn't been altered and the terms and conditions of booking that we all signed up to allow the cruise line to change and cancel any any every port without any refund. I was once on a Celebrity Transatlantic that was calling overnight at Bermuda then overnight at New York, due to rough seas in the Atlantic we missed Bermuda and went straight to New York and were only told at boarding - there was no refund at all.

The way it's worked here and I'm assuming for anyone going on 22nd Dec with 50% refund is that the refund is made to as refundable credit to your shipboard account. Ours was done without asking by the end of the day they announced the problem and refund. A check / cheque will be issued directly from NCL after the cruise.

I think you are being unfair to NCL, this isn't something planned - it's a breakdown. I understand you are disappointed at losing some ports, especially if they were the ones that interested you most but as someone onboard as this played out I can honestly say they are doing their best. 50% refund is a great deal as the duration of the cruise hasn't been altered and the terms and conditions of booking that we all signed up to allow the cruise line to change and cancel any any every port without any refund. I was once on a Celebrity Transatlantic that was calling overnight at Bermuda then overnight at New York, due to rough seas in the Atlantic we missed Bermuda and went straight to New York and were only told at boarding - there was no refund at all.

I saw another post that a different ncl ship just missed 2 ports and only got port fees and 50 obc ... So agree these refunds look good

I saw another post that a different ncl ship just missed 2 ports and only got port fees and 50 obc ... So agree these refunds look good

I think that's standard for missing ports 50 OBC. On the morning after, when we sat out in Singapore Harbour waiting news on what was happening I was thinking through scenarios in my mind from similar instances I've read about on here. I said to my wife we'll probably either all have to be off the ship by tomorrow morning with a full refund and $300 for flight changes or the ship will go slowly to Hong Kong, we'll miss most ports and get a 25% refund. I was extremely happy with the offer and we looked at doing our own thing but at the end of the day we decided to stay onboard for the adventure.

I was once on a Celebrity Transatlantic that was calling overnight at Bermuda then overnight at New York, due to rough seas in the Atlantic we missed Bermuda and went straight to New York and were only told at boarding - there was no refund at all.

Was on the same cruise. Not only did we lose Bermuda, when we arrived in New York the wind chill was like 0 F. Again, nothing they could do about that and I don't remember if they even refunded the port charges for Bermuda--which would have been only a few bucks anyhow.

We are on the 6 Feb. sailing so who knows what will happen by then. Have to cross the Tasman so if still on only one prop, we will definitely lose ports too. Won't be happy, but what can you do?

Why make yourself miserable. Cancel. Get it over with.

Or,,, ,when you get back, write us back and tell us that you never got off the ship because you want to boycott the ports. We all know that you are not going to sit on the ship by yourself playing travel scrabble. Come on.

Why make yourself miserable. Cancel. Get it over with.

Or,,, ,when you get back, write us back and tell us that you never got off the ship because you want to boycott the ports. We all know that you are not going to sit on the ship by yourself playing travel scrabble. Come on.

Well Bless your heart!