Norwegian Escape coming to NYC!!!

Dayana

Good thing they spent so much on identifying the Escape with The Miami area.

Oh well, good riddance. We did not like the ship at all. It was the first time we ever felt crowded on a cruise ship. Give me the Jewel class ships any day.

They painted Getaway as Miami ship... then sent her to England!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so SAD! I have been stalking NCL and was hoping for an Eastern Caribbean on Escape 5/2018.

It's even worse for me. I was waiting for official word on Escape for 5/18 so I could book either the week before or after my MSC Seaside cruise for my first ever b2b.

There's nothing wrong with Getaway but I prefer Escape. The month of May is the same as when I sailed Escape in 2016 (Eastern). I might go b2b on Seaside since the Yacht Club on Seaside is thou$ands less than the Haven on Getaway. Having never sailed MSC, I'm not sure if I'd do a b2b, though.

We warmed up to the Breakaway. The Gem is really tired so good riddance, we sailed it too much anyway. Prices on the Escape are way too high right now, hopefully they will come down for the 2019 and beyond.

i got a feeling this might be a one time only thing for the escape. i dont see the escape being in nyc for 2019 and beyond

Absolutely! I actually see escape staying here 2019+ and breakaway going to another smaller market.

I meant I see this as a way for NCL to test the market and see if the NYC market can support 2 Norwegian mega ships. If it can, I see 2 BA+, or BA and a BA+ year round. Where is Bliss supposed to go after the summer in Alaska is done?? They can't sail up in Alaska in winter [emoji23]. Nobody would want to do that.

I can see Bliss doing Mexican Rivera in winter. But if it doesn't, it will likely head to Miami. If it does in fact go to Miami, what will Norwegian do with Escape, Getaway, AND Bliss all sailing out of the same port during the winter months? That is a glut of capacity for one cruise line at a single port, and economics dictates that Norwegian will have daily rates fall if all these ships are sent there.

That is why I think eventually the ships will be shuffled, and a BA+ will eventually come to NYC full time, along with Breakaway. Breakaway will stay during the winter, and a BA+ will come up in the summer (as is starting to occur).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

i cant imagine Breakaway going to St. Petersburg. We did that port on teh Star. disembark on day one took forever, as you have to go thru russian customs. and that was with half the people that Breakaway carries. I was also early in line as i had priority disembark as i was in a suite. good luck to anyone taking that ship going to St. Pete.

I meant I see this as a way for NCL to test the market and see if the NYC market can support 2 Norwegian mega ships. If it can, I see 2 BA+, or BA and a BA+ year round. Where is Bliss supposed to go after the summer in Alaska is done?? They can't sail up in Alaska in winter [emoji23]. Nobody would want to do that.

I can see Bliss doing Mexican Rivera in winter. But if it doesn't, it will likely head to Miami. If it does in fact go to Miami, what will Norwegian do with Escape, Getaway, AND Bliss all sailing out of the same port during the winter months? That is a glut of capacity for one cruise line at a single port, and economics dictates that Norwegian will have daily rates fall if all these ships are sent there.

That is why I think eventually the ships will be shuffled, and a BA+ will eventually come to NYC full time, along with Breakaway. Breakaway will stay during the winter, and a BA+ will come up in the summer (as is starting to occur).

How expensive is a Panama canal crossing for a cruise line? Or is it all forwarded to the taxes and fees on the pax? I can imagine Bliss doing the canal once on her deployment to Alaska.

We've all seen that the theme branding of the latest ships isn't a factor after 1 or 2 years so I might place my bet on Bliss in Australia after Alaska. ;)

How expensive is a Panama canal crossing for a cruise line? Or is it all forwarded to the taxes and fees on the pax? I can imagine Bliss doing the canal once on her deployment to Alaska.

We've all seen that the theme branding of the latest ships isn't a factor after 1 or 2 years so I might place my bet on Bliss in Australia after Alaska. ;)

All passed on with higher fare and taxes.

i cant imagine Breakaway going to St. Petersburg. We did that port on teh Star. disembark on day one took forever, as you have to go thru russian customs. and that was with half the people that Breakaway carries. I was also early in line as i had priority disembark as i was in a suite. good luck to anyone taking that ship going to St. Pete.

The Getaway, her sister ship, is doing this Baltic itinerary 5/17 through 10/17. I was waiting for the first trip report as to how this cruise went, especially in St. Petersburg and Stockholm, before booking this trip.

the Baltics sailing is amazing. You will love it if/when you go.

if you do book, i highly recommend going in May. June/July/August the crowds are crazy. We easily saw everything with minimal people going in May. Another reason why i just cant see a mega ship doing this itinerary.

no exaggeration - 2 minutes per person going thru Russian customs/immigration at minimum. getting off the second morning is faster as everyone was already cleared, but then coming back on board at the end of day two was again, 2 minutes per person at minimum.

Going on the 9/16/18 Escape- has anyone done Canada/New England? Anything that is must see? Looking forward to this route and ship as they are both new for me and I am not really a beach person.

I have a hold on the Breakway for June to Bermuda but figure I will wait an extra 15 months and do something entirely new. It is quite ironic though- build a Miami ship and move it to NYC and move the NYC ship. Maybe they figure a newer ship will increase repeat bookings.

Going on the 9/16/18 Escape- has anyone done Canada/New England? Anything that is must see? Looking forward to this route and ship as they are both new for me and I am not really a beach person.

I have a hold on the Breakway for June to Bermuda but figure I will wait an extra 15 months and do something entirely new. It is quite ironic though- build a Miami ship and move it to NYC and move the NYC ship. Maybe they figure a newer ship will increase repeat bookings.

It is a scenery and itinerary drive cruise. IMHO, smaller ships are best suited for this type of cruise, as the smaller towns won't be as overrun with passengers. This is an itinerary for people that appreciate cultural awareness, and like to sit on the balcony and watch lighthouses as you sail past.

we've actually considered doing the Canada/New England itinerary, and we live here!

Newport, RI, you have to see the Mansions. its only a few bucks to get into most of them. all can easily be done on your own. I also recommend walking a portion or all of the Cliff Walk which goes along the ocean. Its not for people with walking difficulties, however.

Bar Harbor, ME is just lovely. i was there once many, many years ago, but its your quintessential NE seaside village.

Portland, Maine is a fun city. great dining venues. If time allows, you can take one of the Casco Bay ferries over to some of the small islands. Peak's Island you can rent bikes and ride around the entire island.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - havent been, but apparently you can visit cemeteries where people are buried who perished on the Titanic.

Quebec City is on our list. if we did this, we'd probably do the one way sail and spend a day or two in Quebec City at the start, then sail home to Boston.

i've only done a cursory glance at the escape on the NCL site but besides a few more passengers and decks it pretty much seems to be the same as BA. what would be more positive things about escape?

They made a few improvements; standard balconies are a little larger, pool bars are stacked creating a little more room on the pool deck (though the pool is still too small), added slide the aqua racer which is great fun, extra level of ropes course. In addition there is the District Brew House with a great selection of craft beers and a fun singer/piano player at night and the food republic. One last difference, Bayamo has replaced Ocean Blue and there is a wine bar but no ice bar.

Hope this helps

Coach Jim

we've actually considered doing the Canada/New England itinerary, and we live here!

Newport, RI, you have to see the Mansions. its only a few bucks to get into most of them. all can easily be done on your own. I also recommend walking a portion or all of the Cliff Walk which goes along the ocean. Its not for people with walking difficulties, however.

Bar Harbor, ME is just lovely. i was there once many, many years ago, but its your quintessential NE seaside village.

Portland, Maine is a fun city. great dining venues. If time allows, you can take one of the Casco Bay ferries over to some of the small islands. Peak's Island you can rent bikes and ride around the entire island.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - havent been, but apparently you can visit cemeteries where people are buried who perished on the Titanic.

Quebec City is on our list. if we did this, we'd probably do the one way sail and spend a day or two in Quebec City at the start, then sail home to Boston.

Quebec City is a great city to visit. The NCL cruises that originate out of NYC overnight here.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally called this! Let's see how much of this comes to fruition.

Edited by UPNYGuy

I read after one year in Alaska the Bliss is moving to Miami. I did not see it on this board but on the local Miami news.

The ship will have two seasonal ports from what I read. Winter in Miami after a Mex Rivera, summer in Seattle. This depends on how the ship does in Seattle and Miami.

Edited by UPNYGuy
typo

• 2 months later...