Cuba or not?

tiessa

Now that RCI is stopping in Cuba, I'm interested in knowing what others think about this.

I grew up during the Cuban missile crisis and the Cold War. I obviously am curious about this place I have not been able to travel to. On the other hand, do I want to contribute to a government with such a terrible human rights record? I think my curiosity is outweighed by my morals.

How do others make the decision to travel there or not?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now that RCI is stopping in Cuba, I'm interested in knowing what others think about this.

I grew up during the Cuban missile crisis and the Cold War. I obviously am curious about this place I have not been able to travel to. On the other hand, do I want to contribute to a government with such a terrible human rights record? I think my curiosity is outweighed by my morals.

NOT for us.

My grandparents were born in Cuba. They recently passed so my father was very interested in returning to Cuba to visit their home towns, see family, etc. He went this past summer and stayed in Central Havana for a week.

My dad was appalled at the level of poverty. The novelty of the old cars and architecture wore off pretty quickly. Many of the residential buildings in Havana are crumbling to the point floors are collapsing. His photos were very sad. Much worse than I have experienced on other caribbean islands.

As he said to me, if you have an itch to go, then go. You can see what the government did to destroy the island before there is a gleaming W hotel along the Malecon.

We are looking at going, and I do understand how the Castro regime took everything from the people of Cuba. My theory is, if I go, I will be sure to visist the local restaurants/bars and be sure to tip the servers and my can drivers handsomly. The Castro brothers can't get their hands on the cash tips. This aill direcrly help the Cuban people, sort of my way of giving back.

Personally I am interested but not right away. I'm waiting a couple of years until all the kinks get worked out and excursions within Cuba open up. I think there will be growing pains. No need to rush to be the first there unless you have some personal reason or family there.

Personally I am interested but not right away. I'm waiting a couple of years until all the kinks get worked out and excursions within Cuba open up. I think there will be growing pains. No need to rush to be the first there unless you have some personal reason or family there.

Yea, what he said ;) Since I already have my 2017 and 2018 cruise booked I'll do the same. That will give us time to see what changes happen because of a new US adminstration (trying to keep this the last forum without overbearing political/election discussion) I'll certainly be reading every review between now and 2019.

I know intellectually that the time will come where the US and Cuba will HAVE to normalize relations, and have commercial opportunities on both sides.

That said, Fidel's recent death is only a part of the story. Until Raul is also dead, and Cuba is Free and Democratic, I don't feel that I should be supporting that country with my vacation $'s.

Michael

We are Divers and can't wait to be able to go. I was a Navy Brat and lived on the Navy base for several years and cannot wait to go and see the country. But since my cruise/Dive vacations for 2017 are booked already it will probably be 2018 before we are able to go. But we will be going.

Was in China in 1980, didn't even know RR was elected POTUS until I saw a weeks old Time magazine at the newstand in the Bejing Hotel. Back then everyone was wearing Mao suits and riding bicycles, tallest building in the city we were in was our hotel @ 8 floors. Compare it to now :eek:

So I wouldn't mind going to Cuba now and go back in 10-15 years and compare the differences.

I've been told by several people, including missionaries to the island that the people are wonderful, natural beauty abounds, but the infrastructure is not there yet to support tourism.

So, I agree with OP, I'll wait a few years.

Plus, don't forget Zika virus if you're pregnant.

Right now, no. My grandmother would like to go as she hasn't stepped foot on that island in 59 years. When we saw Cuba from the boat last year on the Breeze, she was emotional and she just turned the other way and continued on her day. We don't feel like it's worth to spend the amount of money that Royal is asking for on the Empress. We had an ok time on the Empress, don't get me wrong, but just one day in Havana? Maybe if they do some overnights or more places in Cuba, we will think about it, but for now, we will pocket the money and save it for a land trip so we can spend more days in Havana, trying to find her old house, her dad's grave, etc.. Castro really really impacted my grandparents deeply. Their families went from very wealthy to having nothing in their pockets and showing up at MIA with no clue what to do. Heck, my grandmother almost died getting to the US. She flew to Mexico after the US flights stopped and the flight to the US had an engine explode. Fortunately, they both learned English during school. My grandfather has declined to ever step foot on that island again till the Castros are out.

Happy Cruising.

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Ok, don't go to Russia, japan, China, Vietnam, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland most of he Caribbean including Haiti(Labadee)

Or just about every other country. It is so hypocritical when you spew

Half truths. Learn your geographic history.

Why single out Cuba.

Unreal.

Bring it on, I've got plenty of popcorn...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, don't go to Russia, japan, China, Vietnam, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland most of he Caribbean including Haiti(Labadee)

Or just about every other country. It is so hypocritical when you spew

Half truths. Learn your geographic history.

Why single out Cuba.

Unreal.

Bring it on, I've got plenty of popcorn...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

uh... Who is this directed to?

I find it funny that some people are against travelling to Cuba but have no problem visiting Labadee. Haiti hasn't treated its citizens all that much better than the Castros and is considered one of the most corrupt governments in the world.

If you want to visit, go. Just know that a lot of the tourism money will end up in the pockets of the Castro family/regime, but it'll probably be a great learning experience for you. We enjoy taking our children to impoverished countries and walking out of the secure port gates - it gets them out of their "bubble" and helps us all be grateful that we hit the genetic lottery.

Edited by MikeBTN

non issue for us. even if we wanted to go, his job means he is not permitted to enter the country.

if you are worried about lousy governments and human rights, then I suggest you stay out of Jamaica and Haiti as well. neglect and corruption is just as bad as torture and suppression.

I find it funny that some people are against travelling to Cuba but have no problem visiting Labadee. Haiti hasn't treated its citizens all that much better than the Castros and is considered one of the most corrupt governments in the world.

If you want to visit, go. Just know that a lot of the tourism money will end up in the pockets of the Castro family/regime, but it'll probably be a great learning experience for you.

DHs last deployment before he retired included a Humatiarian stop there. stuff that had been 'improved' by our previous Humanitarian missions( the COMFORT goes back every 3 -5 years or so) were already beyond hope as the new buildings had been cannibalized by the locals to sell on the black market. so that new school we built? a crumbling empty shell. several of the people on that cruise were also on the one prior so had pictures to compare things to.