Marriage license

Softballgirl04

(And while the cost may be tiny when spread out over several years we can't get them that way, they have to be paid for completely up front:).)

Of course they have to be paid for up front in both Countries

I think ATHLEN was trying to say the cost over 10 yrs is not that much in the grand scheme of things

Or you are just being nit picky with their wording :rolleyes:

I am not sure what you mean by. "... the US doesn't require the marriage license (don't you mean certificate?) for a first time passport". Proof of identity IS required, along with proof of eligibility for a US passport. Eligibility is ordinarily proven by providing a birth certificate -- obviously in the name in which the passport is to be issued. If there has been a change of name (by marriage, court order, or whatever) documentation is required - marriage certificate or court order must be shown - Dept. of State is not going to issue a passport for a Mary Jones whose only documentation is a birth certificate for a Mary Smith.

I mean that one may apply for a first time passport without having to send in the marriage certificate (someone used license earlier in the thread and it stuck, sorry). DW did not send our marriage certificate in wither her passport application and her name is most certainly different from her citizenship document.

You do NOT need a marriage lic.....NO married woman's BC matches her married name. Your BC and DL will be fine. They look at your birthdate.

My BC wouldn't match my married name, why? Because I took my wifes name... and my wifes BC wouldn't match her married name...

Why? Because she took her mothers maiden name before our wedding, that was the only way for me to be able to take that name.

I mean that one may apply for a first time passport without having to send in the marriage certificate (someone used license earlier in the thread and it stuck, sorry). DW did not send our marriage certificate in wither her passport application and her name is most certainly different from her citizenship document.

What did she use to show her name was changed?

She would need some sort of bridge document to show her name changed

If you look at the passport application forms they require a certified marriage certificate or court documents

What did she use to show her name was changed?

She would need some sort of bridge document to show her name changed

If you look at the passport application forms they require a certified marriage certificate or court documents

Maybe in Canada that's required but the only time it's required here is if you've already been issued a passport and you are asking for one in a different name.

Maybe in Canada that's required but the only time it's required here is if you've already been issued a passport and you are asking for one in a different name.

so you are saying you do not have a passport then

You do NOT need a marriage lic.....NO married woman's BC matches her married name. Your BC and DL will be fine. They look at your birthdate.

Not a very smart thing to say, and don't let my wife hear it. She still uses the name she was born with and we have been married 30+ years. It is really rather sexist to say that women always change their names when they get married. I suspect that in today's business world over 50% of the female executives would never consider changing their name.

so you are saying you do not have a passport then

Not sure how you got that but both DW and I have passports. We did not need to send in our marriage certificate when we sent her application in and she took my last name when we got married (and our last names were different).

That simply does not make sense. Dept. of State insists upon documentation - are you saying that they issued a passport in a name which did not match ANY of the supporting documents? I think you must be missing something.

That simply does not make sense. Dept. of State insists upon documentation - are you saying that they issued a passport in a name which did not match ANY of the supporting documents? I think you must be missing something.

Her drivers license has her married name, the document used for citizenship has her maiden name. She was not required to send our marriage certificate.

If you have your certified Birth certificate & DL (or other Government photo documents) that are in the same name & the cruise is booked under that name it is not an issue for US passengers on a closed loop cruise

Most other Nationalities require a valid passport to cruise/travel

If you have a different last name than your birth certificate you need to supply the bridging documents to show the name change

Best I.D. is a valid passport

Just my 2 cents worth

Really!?! I mean, really?!? You have never encountered a situation where a couple decides that the woman nor the man need to change names? You are not aware that many people left that old custom behind long ago? Wow, just wow. Been there, done that, and see no justification for the notion that women should give up their family name just because they are married.

But back to the OP's concern, I doubt if you will need the bridging document, but take a copy just in case.

Stan

+1. I have 2 daughters and neither of them changed their name. I also know a couple where the husband changed his name to match his wife because her name was really important to her.

DON

+1. I have 2 daughters and neither of them changed their name. I also know a couple where the husband changed his name to match his wife because her name was really important to her.

DON

Before i retired I was in a research organization, the sort of place where for personal satisfaction and career advancement one's professional resume was a big deal. And that meant publications in prestigious academic journals. I hired one young lady right out of grad school, brilliant hard worker super in every respect. But she was married to a loser and took his name when they married. So 6 years later they divorced and she was stuck with his name because all of her publications had used that name and not her own last name. It is now 10 years or so past their divorce and she has long since gone back to her own name except professionally where she feels she must stick to her one-time married name in order to maintain continuity in her resume...

Before i retired I was in a research organization, the sort of place where for personal satisfaction and career advancement one's professional resume was a big deal. And that meant publications in prestigious academic journals. I hired one young lady right out of grad school, brilliant hard worker super in every respect. But she was married to a loser and took his name when they married. So 6 years later they divorced and she was stuck with his name because all of her publications had used that name and not her own last name. It is now 10 years or so past their divorce and she has long since gone back to her own name except professionally where she feels she must stick to her one-time married name in order to maintain continuity in her resume...

All too common, some prefer to keep their maiden name but also take the new name as a hyphenated one.

No wuckers! Gosh I miss home, especially ahead of the boxing day test

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I can imagine, homesickness will always come and go at various times of the year, holidays included.

As you are in Texas, it probably isn't the case for you but it is for a lot of the US.

Have a great Xmas and New year along with Happy cruising in 2017.

Xmas.jpg.38923c2a82ba0bc1dd2b09cc54e606d3.jpg