Help! I need somebody

BrutalLogiC

Hi! I'm thinking about going on a cruise with my mum! I am from the UK.

Never considered cruises before as always thought it was aimed at older people, I am early 30s now so feeling a bit older lol.

I want to go to the Caribbean as never been before and I'd like to visit as many places as realistically possible over around 7-12 nights and go on excursions. I like active stuff - e.g. something like kayaking or cycling on shore or just travelling about seeing places. My mum is pretty active to but we certainly don't mind doing out own thing.

Could anyone recommend any cruises? I would be expecting to pay about £2,000 all in including flights/drinks/food/entertainment on ship. Any cruises to avoid also useful.

Other general questions..

1. Are the shows always included in the price? How are the seats allocated? How do you book them? Can you go everyday if you wanted?

2. Could someone explain about food and how it is charged, do they typically include 3 meals a day at a set restaurant in the price or what?

2.1 What are the prices like if not included in price? Or do they vary so much this cannot be answered? I have seen Norwegian, Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean advertising Full Board Cruise, is this all drink and all food included? Prices of £1,300 for 13 nights suggest not:confused:

3. How does it work for meal times? Like is there 3 set meal times each day or what? If I wake up at 3am and I'm hungry, what are my options?:D

4. How does it work for getting tables for dining, it sounds like people are assigned to random tables which can be sitting next to any number of random people? Does it vary much per operator?

5. On the basis I book the cheapest room available is it possible to give me an idea of what extra charges you need to pay? I have read about people paying extra for spa, extra for certain exercise classes, extra for 'port taxes', internet access:mad:

6. How does the tipping work? It's something I hate, mainly the uncertainty of the correct protocol. Just tell me at outset how much you want me to pay lol

7. When is the best time to book in order to get the cheapest cruise price, well in advance or early? is there much difference? I see on the roll call thread there are lots of people booking well over a year in advance:eek:

8. Where is a good place to book? direct with cruise lines or elsewhere? not certain if I can post name of website I am looking at just now for last minute deals:confused:

9. Does every Caribbean cruise ship have a gym? I would certainly use that everyday. Assume this is free!

10. I understand booking cheaper rooms means they are usually smaller and no window/balcony but are there any other drawbacks, like location? e.g. Royal Princess offers identical cabin descriptions but for different prices on different decks, what difference does deck make? Perhaps 50m closer to the dining hall?:)

11. Other than the shows, what sort of evening entertainment do ships offer?

12. I understand that formal attire seems to be a thing of the past. Is that true? Can people turn up for evening meal in my Bermuda shorts and t-shirts? Or does it vary greatly by ship.

13. I see cinemas seem to be uncommon. Is that right? How would I go about watching films? Is it just like a hotel where I can pay for movies? Can I bring a usb stick and plug it in a typical bedroom TV then load up media that way?

14. When it comes to getting a seat by the pool, I'm guessing there are some best areas. Is this typically just first come first serve?

15. I read about one ship where it had something like a 'yacht club' for people who paid more so only they have access. Is this a common thing, for certain areas to be limited to 'VIP' guests? e.g. a sun bathing area or restaurant or bar.

16. When it comes to excursions I understand that you can book with the cruise line, when can I do this? In advance of the cruise?

Sorry if to many questions. I spent many hours on this forum today, it's very interesting and useful

That's a lot of questions and many are hard to answer without knowing which line you're sailing on. I think a useful place to start is what's included on a Carnival cruise...

[YOUTUBE]UkicZPzStNA[/YOUTUBE]

Carnival is generally the cheapest and has the largest fleet so I'd recommend starting by looking at them and then either ruling them out or not.

Other general questions..

So many of your questions will have different answers depending on the cruise line. Research what ports you'll visit and how long the ship will be docked!! Then go from there, so best thing is to compare itineraries. Then go with cost.

1. Are the shows always included in the price? How are the seats allocated? How do you book them? Can you go everyday if you wanted? Usually included, on NCL there is a dinner show which has a fee associated with it otherwise all entertainment is included. Yes you can go multiple times, seating is NOT assigned show up early and claim your seat.

2. Could someone explain about food and how it is charged, do they typically include 3 meals a day at a set restaurant in the price or what? Some ships will have extra fee restaurants but it isn't necessary to eat there. You will have Main Dining Room meals which are included in your fare, a buffet area and some ships have a 24-hour place. so you can eat more than 3 meals a day! Go for tea time if offered, feeling hungry -- run up and get some snacks when you feel like it. Just make sure you understand that MOST cruise lines offer an assigned dining time at an assigned table with assigned table mates. If you would rather play dining times by ear, NCL offers no assigned dining times, eat where you want at the time you want. Other lines offer something similar but NCL has more restaurants to choose from.

2.1 What are the prices like if not included in price? Or do they vary so much this cannot be answered? I have seen Norwegian, Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean advertising Full Board Cruise, is this all drink and all food included? Prices of £1,300 for 13 nights suggest not:confused:Right now I know NCL is offering a beverage package that is free (you pay about $80 per person in taxes. This covers ANY drink up to $15 and there is no limit. Other lines are offering something similar. In general cocktails will run about $10.

3. How does it work for meal times? Like is there 3 set meal times each day or what? If I wake up at 3am and I'm hungry, what are my options?:D

4. How does it work for getting tables for dining, it sounds like people are assigned to random tables which can be sitting next to any number of random people? Does it vary much per operator?

5. On the basis I book the cheapest room available is it possible to give me an idea of what extra charges you need to pay? I have read about people paying extra for spa, extra for certain exercise classes, extra for 'port taxes', internet access:mad: Extras are photos, spa, spa services, etc. these are NOT mandatory. Port charges and fees as well as the daily service charge which runs about $12 per person per day is indeed mandatory.

6. How does the tipping work? It's something I hate, mainly the uncertainty of the correct protocol. Just tell me at outset how much you want me to pay lolThere is no other tipping above the daily service charge *see above* unless ordering room service, its always suggested that a dollar or two to the server is normal.

7. When is the best time to book in order to get the cheapest cruise price, well in advance or early? is there much difference? I see on the roll call thread there are lots of people booking well over a year in advance:eek:

Usually early booking as soon as itineraries are released OR just after final payment is due and rooms open up, however since you are coming from the UK you need to deal with airfare and usually at 70 days out you are going to pay more for the flight.

8. Where is a good place to book? direct with cruise lines or elsewhere? not certain if I can post name of website I am looking at just now for last minute deals:confused:No travel agents allowed here on Cruise Critic. Its up to you, do you like to control your booking and ask questions directly of the cruise line? Then book directly with them. If you don't mind someone controlling your booking and not being able to have questions answered by the cruise line because your booking is owned by the agent that is something to consider.

9. Does every Caribbean cruise ship have a gym? I would certainly use that everyday. Assume this is free! Usually alll ships have a gym, equipment is use is free.

10. I understand booking cheaper rooms means they are usually smaller and no window/balcony but are there any other drawbacks, like location? e.g. Royal Princess offers identical cabin descriptions but for different prices on different decks, what difference does deck make? Perhaps 50m closer to the dining hall?:)Rule of thumb...the higher decks midship are more expensive. I usually book inside cabins and find them fine! Nice and dark and wonderful for sleeping.

11. Other than the shows, what sort of evening entertainment do ships offer?

Music in bars/lounges

12. I understand that formal attire seems to be a thing of the past. Is that true? Can people turn up for evening meal in my Bermuda shorts and t-shirts? Or does it vary greatly by ship.On NCL there is no dressing up unless you want to. Yes shorts are allowed in all dining venues EXCEPT the aft dining room and the French Restaurant (fee)

13. I see cinemas seem to be uncommon. Is that right? How would I go about watching films? Is it just like a hotel where I can pay for movies? Can I bring a usb stick and plug it in a typical bedroom TV then load up media that way? Usually you can't hook up your USB to the tvs on board. There will be movies shown, and pay per view. There will usually be a movie somewhere on board on a large screen but honestly there is so much going on that you might not even have time to see one!

14. When it comes to getting a seat by the pool, I'm guessing there are some best areas. Is this typically just first come first serve? Yes

15. I read about one ship where it had something like a 'yacht club' for people who paid more so only they have access. Is this a common thing, for certain areas to be limited to 'VIP' guests? e.g. a sun bathing area or restaurant or bar. Mose cruise lines now offer a "ship within a ship" context for an exclusive area only open to those who book the certain class of cabin.

16. When it comes to excursions I understand that you can book with the cruise line, when can I do this? In advance of the cruise? Yes, or on board. There will be choices show online when you can look at your booking. Usually there are so many choices to book privately as well for a LOT less money. Cruise Critic has a great board for PORTS OF CALL and you can read about other tour operators and suggested DIY tours.

Sorry if to many questions. I spent many hours on this forum today, it's very interesting and useful

Sounds like you have been doing some research already. Good luck!

IF your ship requires show reservations (not all do), then it is NOT an assigned seat....you still have to arrive early to get a "good" seat, depending on what a "good" seat means to you!

All cruise lines have all meals included...some lines have "specialty" restaurants that cost extra...you are under NO obligation to use those venues. ALL lines provide almost 24 hour food options.

Drink prices nowadays are high....beers will run in the $5-6 range (sorry..don't know about Euros!)...wine is way over-priced...mixed drinks/cocktails are in the $8-10 range. I think that's pricey...but it's only for a week!

All cruise lines are more alike than different. Loungers/sunbeds....there are plenty. Yes..there will be folks attempting to "reserve" loungers early..but you can and will find somewhere to sit and tan. No worries.

Book where you find the best deal. We like to be in control of our booking, so we book with the cruise line. Others like TA's, and some give them perks....depends what's important to you.

If you usually travel in 1st class and want a suite, NCL has the best "suite" perks going. Carnival's suites have the least "perks"....

Id recommend Carnival Cruise line, also, for a first time cruise. It is the cheapest, to help you stay in your budget. I have sailed Carnival many times, and always have had a good experience. I've also sailed Royal Caribbean, but the price is higher. Carnival is a good place to start. Research on their site for the different cruises and itineraries. On Cruise Critic you can review any ship you are interested in.

All meals in the Main Dining Room are included in your cruise fare, and depending on what ship you choose, there are several other free venues, also---including the Lido Buffet. As for set times for eating, it depends whether you choose a set dining time, or do Any Time Dining, where you just show up, as you would a restaurant. Only the specialty restaurants require a fee and reservations. The Carnival site for each ship will list what restaurants are complimentary or have a fee. For the Main Dining Room, if you select a set dining time, you will be assigned a table for the entire cruise.

As for shows, they are complimentary, and you just show up for them. Check your daily newsletter left in your cabin for any activities or shows that day.

As for beverages---alcohol and soda will cost you. You can either buy as you go, or buy a beverage package. If you are not a big alcohol drinker, it may not be worth it to buy a package. Ice tea, lemonade, juices, and coffee or tea are free.

Tipping (gratuities) are added to your bill. I usually pre pay mine before I even cruise.

Spa is extra, as is internet access.

I usually book a year in advance for the best price, but some say it's cheaper closer to sail date. I book usually online for the actual cruise line, but if you are unsure, call them and they can help you. Perhaps until you become a cruise addict, as we all are, you should use a Travel agent

Yes, all Carnival ships have a gym, as do any other line I've sailed on. And it is free to use equipment. I think classes may cost a fee, but not sure, as I've never done any.

As for cabin location--look deck plans over online, and do not choose a room under high traffic areas or night clubs. If walking a distance bothers you, find a cabin closer to elevators. Usually mid ship, and lower deck are best if prone to motion sickness, as there will be less rocking there.

I have had balcony, ocean view, and inside cabins. Balconies are lovely for having early morning coffee and watching sunrise and sunsets, but in recent years we only book inside cabins due to the cost factor, and that you will not spend much time in cabin to warrant the extra cost.

As for movies, most of the ships have large screens up on deck and show movies at night.

Always a struggle finding seats by the pool. If your ship has an adult pool area, you may want to try there.

The Yacht club is on MSC line, but there are different names for this type of area on a lot of ships. Not all have it. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep it. It is not needed to have a wonderful cruise.

I always book only ship sponsored excursions, for safety/security reasons, but I know several people that book private tours. Keep in mind, that if a ship sponsored excursion runs late for whatever reason, they will hold the ship for you. But if you are with a private tour company, and run late--ship will not wait for you!!

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What time of year do you want to cruise? There are fly/cruise options from the UK that do cruises from Barbados, and visit a lot of ports. But they are in the winter.. Fred Olsen and P&O-UK would be a good choice for you. Is your 2000 pounds per person, or all in? I suggest you go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose a departure port from the first list, or some ports you would like to visit from the second list. The choose your time, and it will tell you who calls there and their itineraries. Cruises from US ports (excluding Puerto Rico) will not give you as many ports as a cruise that originates from a Caribbean island, such as Barbados. EM

Being a first-timer and from the UK, your best bet is a direct fly-cruise package, flying from your regional airport.

Those packages are offered by P&O and Thomson, occasionally by others like Fred Olsen, Cruise & Maritime and Voyages of Discovery. We've done it several times with P&O, also with Thomson and VofD.

For the Caribbean, P&O usually offer two of their three larger ships - Britannia or Azura or Ventura. Thomson usually also have two ships in the Caribbean in winter - their ships are smaller and quite a lot older, but you'll still be impressed.

Mixed age ranges on P&O and Thomson and most US & Italian ships.

C&M and VoD, and US line Holland-America have an older demographic. P&O have 3 adults-only ships, they too have a mainly elderly clientele but those ships don't do fly-cruises.

For most passengers those fly-cruises are on aircraft chartered by the cruise line, so everyone on the flight is on your cruise. This means you hand over your checked luggage at your departure airport & don't see it again til you get to your cabin. When your aircraft lands, you go direct from aircraft to transfer bus - no immigration, on luggage carousel, you don't even go to the airport terminal - and the bus takes you straight to registration at the pier.

At the end of the cruise, on most cruise ships you're thrown off the ship by 9am, regardless of your flight time, to make way for the new batch of cruisers. But with those fly-cruises, return flights are early-evening and you have the run of the ship - pools, bars, dining, etc but not your cabin - until your transfer is called mid-afternoon.

So much more civilised than airport scrums and such. :)

Those cruise lines are geared to Brit tastes, and the overwhelming majority of passengers will be Brit. I find it more fun to have the more cosmopolitan mix that you get on US & Italian ships, but it'll be a new & exciting experience for you anyway, and you'll find it easier on a Brit ship with sterling as ship's currency, decent draught beer, lower on-board costs. etc.

Add the simplicity & economy of a direct chartered flight, and for me it's a no-brainer.

These answers broadly apply to all cruise ships, whatever colour flag they fly...................

1. Shows are normally free, ditto cinema, ice rink, rock-climbing wall, flowrider, mini-golf etc etc on ships which have them.

2. Three meals a day in the main dining room (MDR) and self-service buffet, sometimes dinner in the MDR is on fixed ("traditional") seating, & sometimes it's "anytime" same as it is in the buffet and at breakfast & lunchtime in the MDR. Plus snacks like burgers, pizzas, sandwiches most of the day & evening.

2 (again ;)). That food is included. Most ships now also offer "premium pay" restaurants as an alternative but there's no need to use them - mebbe for a birthday or a surprise treat.

Tea & coffee anytime is included (on Thomson & P&O they also have facilities in your cabin), & usually fruit juices at breakfast times.

Other drinka aren't included except on luxury lines - or when a drinks package is offered as an incentive to book, often on Thomson or Sauer Kraut's example of NCL. Most ships offer an all-you-can-drink package, usually quite expensive. P&O don't offer a package, Thomson's package is very restrictive and poor value - but both lines' drinks prices are about the same as provincial pubs, lower than their foreign cousins, and no drinks service charge on their ships.

3. As above. But at 3am you'll probably have to gnaw at the bed-head :p Though I guess you could take some food from the buffet & put it in your fridge as a night reserve.

4. It depends which ship, even within the same cruise line. Some offer only traditional dining, some offer a choice of traditional or anytime, a few offer anytime only. There are pros & cons too numerous to go through, we don't worry either way.

5. As Sauer kraut's answer, except that when booking from the UK, even for US ships, port taxes are always included in the cruise price.

And yes, the average daily service charge (also called "tips" or "gratuities" though it's effectively the crew's wages) on US ships is around $12 to $14 per passenger per night, added to your on-board account. Actually not mandatory, you can ask for the charge to be removed, but ........................................... the sea is very deep, the night is very dark, and your body will barely make a ripple when it slips into the sea. :eek: :D

Best not to remove the charge, the crew work damned hard & long hours & are worth every cent.

No daily charge on Thomson ships ("tips included") and only about $4 pppn on P&O (more generous wage structure).

Internet is expensive on all ships, and also can be very slow - which makes it even more expensive. Unless we get it as a freebie, we use hotspots & "free internet" bars ashore. Ditto phone calls.

6. As above, unless you use room service. And that drinks service charge (15% to 18%) added to each drink on US ships.We usually put our hands in our pockets at the end of the cruise for favoured crew, such as cabin steward & waiters but whether to & how much is purely personal choice.

7. This for bookings from the UK...........

Very early booking always brings a discount or freebies.

But best value by far is about 4 to 6 weeks ahead of the cruise, when many prices drop significantly (hundreds of £'s) as cruise lines look to fill un-booked cabins.

Depends very much how flexible you are on dates & itineraries. Leave it too late & your top choice may book-out, but keep in touch with agencies & you can pick up a bargain.

Late booking of flights brings higher fares for scheduled flightd, & that can exceed the cruise savings. But that's the joy of a P&O or Thomson chartered fly-cruise - they need to fill both ship and airplane so the only worry with a late booking is whether the aircraft from your local airport will book out before the cruise does & you have to choose another airport.

8. As a newbie I'd strongly advise you use a cruise specialist agency. Not the cruise lines 'cos they're only interested in selling their cruises, not a high street all-sorts travel agent cos they don't know their stuff with cruises.

Google "UK cruise agents", then use the phone rather than the internet. They'll be very useful to help with all the questions you've asked and more besides. You'll soon figure which is going to be most useful to you.

When you've chosen a cruise, get the best offer you can from the other agencies (extra discount, free upgrade, airport parking, etc), then phone your preferred agent & ask them to match it. "We've been offered 2 weeks, balcony cabin, on Britannia for £1300 per person - if you can match that, I have my debit card at the ready".

9. Free on all those that I've sailed - even old rust-buckets.

10. Higher decks are more expensive, and move more when the ship is rolling in heavy seas (unlikely in the Caribbean). "The more you pay, the more you sway".

A lower deck means little more than pressing a different button in the lift.

We find inside cabins a little disorientating and we like some natural light.

And you don't know whether you're in port or at sea, its day or its night, its sunny or its rainy (though switching your TV to the mast-head camera helps).

Balconies are great, but significantly more expensive. No need to spoil yourselves on a first cruise. Go inside or ocean-view (fixed window)

11. In bars mainly live music, sometimes comedy. Late-nite discos, sometimes more formal dancing, karaoke, etc.

12. Varies a lot by cruise line.

On Cunard, Bermuda shorts in the MDR might put you in clink for the night, followed by keel-hauling at dawn LOL. On most ships long pants & a collared shirt, much as you'd wear to a decent restaurant at home, Most cruise lines have one or two formal nights (NCL is an exception), on both P&O and Thomson most folk dress in their finery on formal nights.

No dress code other than no bare feet or chests on any ship in the buffet.

13. Very limited free TV channels in cabins, pay-films on some ships, sky sports etc in one or two bars, P&O and Princess pride themselves on their "Movies under the Stars" (not on all their ships), few other ships have cinemas these days.

14. What are you like for rising at dawn? Chair-hogs are a problem on ships, same as many hotels.

15. An increasing trend. Varies from ship to ship, poor value IMHO but we've not suffered from missing those small areas.

16. Ships' excursions are over-priced and understandably rigid and regimented. The Caribbean is the easiest place in the world for fixing up a day with the minibuses lined-up at the pier at about 25 - 30% of ships' excursion prices (but no food/drink included). Drivers are friendly & trustworthy, they know their island & they know the importance of your "back on-board" time. They can replicate ship's tours or suggest other sights. Sharing with others is normal (the drivers take care of that). Agree a basic itinerary & timescale and price before you get in, pay (in USD) when you get back - its the norm.

A lot of Americans, and some Brit, pre-book tours direct with the operators.

You need to pre-book some tours that involve 4x4's, catamarans, zip-lining etc.

Worry about that after you've booked a cruise.

Hopefully I haven't contradicted Sauer kraut too much, where I have its down to personal experiences and tastes rather than disagreement.

My first cruise was P&O, Caribbean, ocean-view cabin. Didn't have a clue, didn't research, but had a great time with no significant screw-ups. Much of that down to others on the ship - cruisers are a friendly & helpful bunch.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I would agree with sitting down with a travel agent with your budget, time of year you can travel, and where you want to go

Talk among your friends, family members, and co-workers and ask if they've gone on cruises (you'll be surprised at how many people you know have) and ask them if they can recommend a good TA (one that is considered a cruise specialist will be very helpful at matching you with the right cruise line and ship) It shouldn't cost you anything to have the TA book your cruise (at least an US one shouldn't charge so I would hope that's the same with a British TA). Whether you or the TA book the flights, make sure to pad in time before the cruise so you can recover from any jet lag and allow for any problems with the flight. allow for time post-cruise to make it to the airport (sometimes customs and immigration take a while) if you're leaving for home the same day.

Once you narrowed down the cruise line, it'll be easier to answer your questions as there are some differences in answering your questions based on which line you're on

Basically, many cruise lines offer a choice of traditional or fixed assigned seating (you're assigned a seating/table/waitstaff....my hubby and I prefer what's called "late traditional," which means eating around 8pm or 8:15 depending on when that seating is) or anytime/freestyle/my time dining, which means showing up at one of the nonassigned dining rooms during the dinner period and when the next table is ready, you're seated. A few lines only have one type or another.

Breakfast and lunch in a "main dining room" is usually open seating.

Many cruise ships have a lot of different dining venues besides the "main dining room." A buffet/casual dining. specialty restaurants that have a cover charge. Other venues too. And often room service (some charge a fee, some don't). some ships have food available 24/7. so if you prefer several small meals during the day, don't worry. If you have special needs (gluten-free, low fat, etc.), you will be accommodated on many ships -- many do ask that you contact them six weeks ahead.

As for dress for dinner, that depends on the line. for eating in the main dining room, there's often a dress code. smart casual is like if going to eat at a really nice restaurant (on Princess, my hubby will wear a tropical shirt and slacks, I might wear a sundress, a gauzy skirt...some lines you can dress less than that, some lines, more dressier). formal could range from what you might wear to a nice wedding, but a few lines like Cunard expect tuxes, gowns for formal, suits and dresses for non formal. Usually wearing shorts to dinner in a MDR is frowned upon.

other venues you can often be more casual like shorts for dinner (on most ships, you can wear shorts at breakfast and lunch even in the MDR).

One word of advice: don't try to squeeze too much into each day. There are many activities on board the ship, but you'll get a daily newsletter to help you plan (or not plan). Don't try to overbook yourself in port -- some people try to book more than one excursion in each port...you do need to plan a cushion between excursions or tours. But you can also DIY, but make sure to be back on board by the time listed in the newsletter. Some ports may be a tender one (the ship doesn't dock, but anchors off away from the pier and in those ports, a "tender" boat ferries passengers to shore and back. So if you're booking with an independent tour, be aware that those with ship-booked excursions, those with high levels of passenger loyalty, and those in high end suites, will usually get first priority off the ship.

Some things (such as going to a beach or sightseeing) you can do on your own...grab a taxi if you're not within walking distance of where you want to go (you can research by reading guide books, googling ports for tourism websites, checking google maps, etc.).

Tipping: except for some premium lines that include tipping in their fares, nowadays, you will be automatically charged for a daily fee for your cabin steward and your dining wait staff. sometimes this is charged ahead of your cruise, sometimes it's charged each night. It's just easier to just let it happen (mentally add the amount in when considering your budget). If you're buying drinks, there will be a tip charged. room service, it's considered customary to add a tip. Porter service at the port, it's usually customary Taxi or tour drivers, again, add a tip. If you think a crew member gave you exceptional service, you can tip them a little extra on the last day of the cruise or ask at the front desk if they have a "made a difference" type of card that you can fill out with the crew member's name to give them some kudos.

About entertainment, there's usually many free sources on many ships. Big production shows, smaller acts (like comedians), piano lounges, in cabin TVs (some will show free movies that are pretty recent), some ships have a big screen in the pool area and will show sporting events and recent movies. Whether you have to reserve ahead of time or if it's first come, first serve....that depends on the line. also whether there's any entertainment you pay for, that also depends on which line.

Some fantastic information thanks all, not read it all yet but certainly will:) £2k per person was the budget I had in mind, excluding the day excursions. I'm quite flexible on timescales with just 3-4 weeks notice. The Beatles title was no accident:D

Help! I need somebody

Help! Not just anybody

Help! You know I need someone

Help!

(When) When I was younger (When I was young) so much younger than today

(I never need) I never needed anybody's help in any way

(Now) But now these days are gone (These days are gone) and I'm not so self assured

(And now I find) Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the doors

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down

And I do appreciate you being 'round

Help me get my feet back on the ground

Won't you please, please help me?

£2k per person was the budget I had in mind, excluding the day excursions.

Currently around £1300 pp will get you an inside cabin on a two week fly-cruise with P & O or Thomson, ocean-view around £1800, balcony around £2000. P & O's "Advantage" fares aren't worth the heavy premium compared to their "late saver" fares. Demand for cruises (& other holidays) is always lower for early December - just before Christmas is always that little bit cheaper.

The main out-of-pocket cost, other than shore-spending, is drinks. Whilst P&O and Thomson are about the same prices as pubs, you'll be "down at the pub" every evening, so it mounts up.

Most cruise lines restrict you to taking aboard at your embarkation port one bottle of wine per person, & no other alcohol. NCL are the real nickel-and-dimers, you're not allowed to take aboard any alcohol or soft drinks or even bottled water.

P & O are a rare exception, there's no limit on how much alcohol of any description that you can take aboard at any port, for consumption in your cabin. We take a few sprigs of mint, buy a bottle of Pimms & some lemonade from a duty-free port shop, steal some fresh fruit salad from the buffet, and any time is Pimms o'clock on the balcony :)

P & O are mainstream, the sort of standards you'll get on most cruise lines. Thomson are ........... how can I put this without offending ........ more "working class", and their ships are older. Great atmosphere on Thomson, very friendly ships. But I'd choose them only for a good cost saving or for their more adventurous itineraries - Cuba, Panama, Mexico, etc.

JB :)

13. I see cinemas seem to be uncommon. Is that right? How would I go about watching films? Is it just like a hotel where I can pay for movies? Can I bring a usb stick and plug it in a typical bedroom TV then load up media that way?

I've been on four cruises (one coming up soon). Of the five ships all have movies to watch. The Holland America ships showed movies in a dedicated theater. The Celebrity ship showed movies on an outdoor screen located on the uppermost deck (not a good arrangement). Of the two Royal Caribbean ships, both have movies on a large outdoor screen on the pool deck. One also showed movies in the main theater. The other shows movies in a dedicated movie theater.

Edited by CruisermanVA

I'm with John Bull all the way here... as it's your first cruise, go with a P&O package to Barbados, which will cut out all the ordeal of flying into a port on scheduled flights, having to find your cases and shuttle bus,( and that long, weary wait in Miami airport after having to leave the ship at 9am for a 6.30pm flight).

Instead, your luggage is taken from you at the UK airport and you see it next in your cabin.

Once you've done it the easy way, you can begin to plan other routes, lines, areas with help from this forum, of course! ;)

Enjoy planning. :)

One of the cheapest and easiest cruises to the Caribbean is the P&O Transatlantic in March/April. You fly out and sail home after a week in the Caribbean. If there is a Friday/Saturday option go the earlier day and get that extra day in Barbados. Flights on all P&O Caribbean cruises are included in the price. I am certain you can do this around £1000 (£1099) each passenger, with inside cabins and the largest ship but drinks and excursions are extra. In Caribbean most ports are beach resorts to just lie on or do independent excursions to save cash. http://www.viator.com do a range of excursions, but you need to realise it is always your responsibility to return to the ship in time if you are not on a cruise line booked excursion. The cheapest cabins are likely to be found by shopping round and looking at a "Guaranteed Grade" booking where you do not choose a specific cabin but get given one by the cruise line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson