Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

Thanks for all who posted here! I just checked my credit card statement a little closer from my Enchantment sailing in a GS earlier this month and sure enough - there's an additional $12.47 charge. Ugh. :mad: I guess I'll be calling Royal today. Thanks again for the heads up!

I was waiting to see if this issue showed up on the Enchantment.

Personally, I consider my time, and avoidance of the hassles of phone holds, standing in line, and arguing about refunds, to be worth more than $12. So, it looks like the best course of action will simply be to drink the provided water, and let them have their $12.

This isn't giving me a warm-fuzzy about what will be our first RCCL cruise, though.

Because ice is free and water is not.

It is from the sink tap in the bathroom. ;p But actually that water is much better

tasting than that 6.00 a bottle swill they sell....ummm....charge us for (even when

we don't drink the stuff).

Not sure if anyone else has had this experience. On our last cruise in May, we had a cash account, did not change to credit card till two days before disembarking.

Our final bill on board showed no charges but when we checked credit card at home, there was the $11.68 for water.

NJ

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Will be my first time to set up my account as cash only. If we charge anything, I will pay off in cash. Thanks for the heads up and confirmation of my suspicion. Yikes. :o

We leave to board MJ in an hour, no OBC on this one. Usually I have 100-200 OBC on a cruise of longer length, and are good at keeping my charges to just that. Might have to stand in line to pay off account in case we charge things, but will see.

Guest maddycat
I called RCI's post cruise customer service on Sat. to remove the $12.36 mini bar charge from our 5/12-1/20 Anthem cruise. The person that I spoke to was very pleasant, said that the charge would be removed and the matter would be reported to their supervisor. The charge was removed by Wed.

During the call I mentioned that this was the second Anthem cruise that I had the same post cruise mini bar charge and that I was not pleased. I also mentioned the several long threads on cruise critic about this and how many people consider it a scam.

I included it in the post cruise survey and the survey that I was sent as a follow up to my call to RCI's post cruise customer service. Yesterday, I sent an email to Mr. Bayley. I received a response from his office today saying that they will get back to me about the matter.

Just following up to my previous post (above). I received a phone call today from someone in Mr. Bayley's office. We had a very pleasant conversation.

She asked if I used the bottle water (Evian) which is on the dresser in the cabin thinking that it was the Diamond+ gift. I told her that we didn't touch the 2 bottles of Evian. Our Diamond+ water was clearly labeled as our C&A gift.

I mentioned the various threads on cc concerning the post cruise mini bar charges. I told her that many cc posters think that this is a scam on RCI's part. I also told her that the problem would be eliminated if the 2 bottles of Evian were removed from the cabins. Anyone who wants water can order it or go to any of the bars on board.

I also said that it was very unpleasant to return from a enjoyable vacation to a revised final invoice with false mini bar charges. She was very understanding. She said that RCI does have people monitoring the various social media sites. She also said that RCI does listen to their passenger's suggestions.

We have 3 future Anthem cruises booked. She asked for the dates of of those cruises and said that it will be noted so that we do not receive any incorrect mini bar charges after returning from those cruises.

Just following up to my previous post (above). I received a phone call today from someone in Mr. Bayley's office. We had a very pleasant conversation.

She asked if I used the bottle water (Evian) which is on the dresser in the cabin thinking that it was the Diamond+ gift. I told her that we didn't touch the 2 bottles of Evian. Our Diamond+ water was clearly labeled as our C&A gift.

I mentioned the various threads on cc concerning the post cruise mini bar charges. I told her that many cc posters think that this is a scam on RCI's part. I also told her that the problem would be eliminated if the 2 bottles of Evian were removed from the cabins. Anyone who wants water can order it or go to any of the bars on board.

I also said that it was very unpleasant to return from a enjoyable vacation to a revised final invoice with false mini bar charges. She was very understanding. She said that RCI does have people monitoring the various social media sites. She also said that RCI does listen to their passenger's suggestions.

We have 3 future Anthem cruises booked. She asked for the dates of of those cruises and said that it will be noted so that we do not receive any incorrect mini bar charges after returning from those cruises.

Positive post,did they say they will remove the offending bottles of water?.

Interesting...no mention that they are actually doing anything to make sure these incidents cease. On our recent Celebrity cruise we were charged for water on the very first day...we hadn't touched it either. I was removed but still seems weird.

Sue

Guest maddycat
Positive post,did they say they will remove the offending bottles of water?.

She said that she would pass on the suggestion.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure.

Just like they told another one of our members they would look right into and put an immediate stop to charging $18 for a bottle of Nyquil in the gift shop. At least they were upfront with that thievery and you had a choice to hold your nose and pay it.

The more I read that line, "she asked for the dates of of those cruises and said that it will be noted so that we do not receive any incorrect mini bar charges after returning from those cruises." the more angry I get. Why wouldn't she say they would make sure NO ONE receives incorrect mini bar charges for ANY cruise?! It speaks volumes to their mentality - if / when we get caught, smile and give them their refund. Otherwise, cha-ching. Reprehensible.

Sure.

Just like they told another one of our members they would look right into and put an immediate stop to charging $18 for a bottle of Nyquil in the gift shop. At least they were upfront with that thievery and you had a choice to hold your nose and pay it.

The more I read that line, "she asked for the dates of of those cruises and said that it will be noted so that we do not receive any incorrect mini bar charges after returning from those cruises." the more angry I get. Why wouldn't she say they would make sure NO ONE receives incorrect mini bar charges for ANY cruise?! It speaks volumes to their mentality - if / when we get caught, smile and give them their refund. Otherwise, cha-ching. Reprehensible.

Absolutely spot on,take the 2 large bottles of water out of the cabin and get passengers to sign for any drinks suppled.

Sure.

I was going to write the same thing. Their entire response was quite lame. They monitor the boards and listen to customers suggestions but keep right on pleading ignorance of the problem.

I was going to write the same thing. Their entire response was quite lame. They monitor the boards and listen to customers suggestions but keep right on pleading ignorance of the problem.

I also took it that way. Why do you have ask for, and receive special attention to not get those ridiculous scam

charges AFTER your final bill and AFTER you leave the ship? That should be noted indeed for EVERYONE. :mad:

Please...please RCI...listen to us. ELIMINTATE THOSE WATER BOTTLES LIKE YOU DID THE REST OF THE MINI BAR!! No reason to have those there when they can be ordered.

If this is true why do they leave the 2 big bottles of water in the cabins?

I also took it that way. Why do you have ask for, and receive special attention to not get those ridiculous scam

charges AFTER your final bill and AFTER you leave the ship? That should be noted indeed for EVERYONE. :mad:

Please...please RCI...listen to us. ELIMINTATE THOSE WATER BOTTLES LIKE YOU DID THE REST OF THE MINI BAR!! No reason to have those there when they can be ordered.

Agree 100%

These charges are alive and well on the Radiance. Disembarked Friday 2nd. My friend was charged. I had emailed prior to the cruise asking for the bottles to be removed and they were. So far no "pending charges" for me.

Once a company loses respect like this it is hard to get it back.

QUESTION FOR MARYANN2 FROM VANCOUVER: Who do I send an email to at RCI for a request to have the bottles of water removed from the cabin? I wonder how effective having a cash account is vs. registering a credit card? This scam is irritating and making me paranoid!

Thanks everyone for any information.

Noreen.

QUESTION FOR MARYANN2 FROM VANCOUVER: Who do I send an email to at RCI for a request to have the bottles of water removed from the cabin? I wonder how effective having a cash account is vs. registering a credit card? This scam is irritating and making me paranoid!

Noreen.

Having a cash account will make it more difficult to charge you for anything after the cruise.

It is quite apparent that RCCI DOES NOT CARE about anything that is said on this forum, at least one complaint filed with the state of Fl or any other feedback except Great Cruise, Great Staff etc.

We have already decidedone this upcoming cruise will be the very last one RCCI , not that they care because someone else will take my place. The RCCI loyalist will continue to sail with them with the pretense that they are special because the spent a gazillion dollars to get a few perks. Even if you are the one the Captain recognized you as top cruise, the heat day he might not even remember you name the next day. The next cruise it will be somebody else

Noreen.

I sent an email to mbailey@rccl.com with a link to this thread. Mentioned I had been charged on the Rhapsody last November and charges reversed. No reply or phone call but the bottles were removed as requested.

For the first time ever actually had some OBC credit left at the end of our cruise on the Adventure in April. We wondered why our credit card was credited about $12 less than what was posted on our account the last morning. Now we know, mystery solved.

Having a cash account will make it more difficult to charge you for anything after the cruise.

Finally did it this last cruise, and left it as a cash account. Worked like a charm. Will most likely do it from now on.

Tough for RCI to charge us for those bottles out of thin air now. ;p

Once (and if) they remove those bottles along with the rest of the now gone mini bar junk...may go back to charge card...or will I? ;)

Thanks maryann2 and Bob for your responses. Cash account may be worth a try. Last question (hopefully. LOL) on this topic: Any problem editing our reservation from credit card to cash account or do it at pier check in?

Very appreciative of your answers.

Thanks maryann2 and Bob for your responses. Cash account may be worth a try. Last question (hopefully. LOL) on this topic: Any problem editing our reservation from credit card to cash account or do it at pier check in?

Very appreciative of your answers.

You should be able to switch from credit card to cash pre-cruise, at check-in, or onboard at Guest Services.