Best time to book with Extras

Carol28

We are planning to cruise Thanksgiving 2017 on the Koningsdam. On other lines, they often have free gratuities, free drink packages, free specialty dinners. What has HAL offered in the past?

What month is the best time to book?

Thank you!

Be very careful with HAL "extras." In the past there has been a trend to increase the cruise price (substantially) during special promotions. For example, we once booked a month long Pacific cruise with a promotion that included the HAL drink package. We were later able to rebook (after the promotion ended) the same cabin for $11,000 less (total cost for 2) When we saved that $11,000 the only thing we lost was the drink package. When we calculated this on a per person/day....we would have been paying nearly $150 per person/day for that drink package. Trust me that DW and I have never been able to run up a $300 a day bar bill :).

Hank

We got the drink package on Celebrity Silhouette last year for our spring cruise and have it again for this year's spring cruise. I just called Celebrity and it is a $45.00 per person per day fee. I love it because I drink lots of water and then a little wine every day. My husband only drinks water and soft drinks. $300 per day for drinks? Hysterical!

But, it is worth getting it for free! We have free gratuities, too, on the Celebrity cruise. But, we want to get back to HAL and want to try the new ship. Too bad it's such a big ship.

We got the drink package on Celebrity Silhouette last year for our spring cruise and have it again for this year's spring cruise. I just called Celebrity and it is a $45.00 per person per day fee. I love it because I drink lots of water and then a little wine every day. My husband only drinks water and soft drinks. $300 per day for drinks? Hysterical!

But, it is worth getting it for free! We have free gratuities, too, on the Celebrity cruise. But, we want to get back to HAL and want to try the new ship. Too bad it's such a big ship.

It is a misnomer to call these perks "free". "Included" is more accurate. You still pay for them but they are "included" in the price. Even on Celebrity, they are not "free". The cost for the "free" drinks package on Holland is approximately the same as those on other cruise lines.

Holland does allow you to book with or without the current promotion. This allows you to assess whether the "free" promotions are worth what they will cost you.

We usually book the room and cruise we prefer on Holland about a year out. We really don't pay attention to what "free" items are "included". In fact, we usually book without the promotions if any are offered. We watch the web page and when new promotions are announced, we evaluate whether the price is worth the cost.

Depending upon how a particular cruise is selling, you may see significant price drops. Or, you may see certain promotions (gratuities, drink packages, etc) offered with little or no change in price. Sometimes even a reduction in price. When you see something that interests you, call your TA or Holland and request that you be "refared".

Go ahead and book the cruise and cabin you want knowing that you can add any new promotions if they make sense or that you can get any price drops that are offered.

Edited by RocketMan275

We select a cruise and then watch the HAL site as well as those of TAs we have used to try and luck into some benefits. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. For our upcoming W. Caribbean cruise we got an excellent price on an aft facing verandah with $300 onboard credit. That time it worked to our benefit! :D It usually pays to be vigilant.

Are you saying the Koningsdam is "too big"? It is 99,500 tons & up to 3194 pass., and the Silhouette is 122,210 tons & up to 3463 passengers.:confused:

I'm not comparing the sizes of Celebrity and Koningsdam. I'm not sure why you thought that. I am saying that I'm glad to return to HAL after trying Princess and Celebrity and RCCL ships. We missed HAL. We prefer smaller ships and what I did say is that it's too bad that it is a bigger ship. But we wanted to try HAL's new ship.

We've done well by booking during the anniversary sale in April.

In 2015 we got OBC of $100 each and a dine-around package (free Tamarind and Canaletto dinners; suite pax also got PG).

In 2016, we got free HSC for each of us and 2 $50 beverage cards.

Cabin costs (verandah) were good and only went up from the time we booked.

Edited by bcd2010

A recent promotion that HAL offered (now ended), HAL did offer free gratuities, Signature Beverage Package, and some shipboard credit and some Internet $$$. But HAL jacked up the cruise fare.

Many of us checked prices with this promotion and without the promotion and found it was better to go without the promotion. We don't drink a lot so the Signature Beverage Package was not worth the increase in fare cruise.

You have to do your homework on HAL prices when you see a promotion.

If there is a specific cabin you want -- book now.

Thanksgiving cruises tend to sell out quickly.

I booked our recent Eurodam cruise in April, then a month later a promotion was offered for the same rate that included gratuities, a $100 beverage card and $125 OBC. We were able to keep our cabin and received the extra goodies.

@Carol28

Book now and get the cabin(s) you want. If a better deal comes along, you can "refare" and have it applied.

Last year I booked two adjoining balconies on the Westerdam on the last day of November. A week later, the price went down $100pp. That was applied as soon as I called. Come mid-March, the Anniversary Sale came on and I saved another $300pp, PLUS gratuities, PLUS $50pp drink card!

(1) You do have to call, or your TA does if you book through one. They don't apply anything automatically.

(2) Someone else on my same cruise, who had booked a suite soon after the itinerary was published and under some other promotion (Explore4?) -- found she stood to LOSE a considerable sum re-faring when I did! Fortunately she remained satisfied with her booking... when the price goes up, it still makes you happy; it's like virtually saving money in hindsight.

Edited by crystalspin

@Carol28

Book now and get the cabin(s) you want. If a better deal comes along, you can "refare" and have it applied.

Last year I booked two adjoining balconies on the Westerdam on the last day of November. A week later, the price went down $100pp. That was applied as soon as I called. Come mid-March, the Anniversary Sale came on and I saved another $300pp, PLUS gratuities, PLUS $50pp drink card!

(1) You do have to call, or your TA does if you book through one. They don't apply anything automatically.

(2) Someone else on my same cruise, who had booked a suite soon after the itinerary was published and under some other promotion (Explore4?) -- found she stood to LOSE a considerable sum re-faring when I did! Fortunately she remained satisfied with her booking... when the price goes up, it still makes you happy; it's like virtually saving money in hindsight.

Good advice. When you see a deal you like, book it to lock up a price/perks deal you are happy with and then continue to monitor the cruise for new pricing and/or promotions. If you are prior to final payment, you can always change it to the better deal and in most cases even keep your original cabin. This happens very often, so your TA will know how to handle it (be sure your TA does not charge a fee for this service however).

Good advice. When you see a deal you like, book it to lock up a price/perks deal you are happy with and then continue to monitor the cruise for new pricing and/or promotions. If you are prior to final payment, you can always change it to the better deal and in most cases even keep your original cabin. This happens very often, so your TA will know how to handle it (be sure your TA does not charge a fee for this service however).

I find a ship/cabin/itinerary I'm happy with and book it. Then, I monitor the website looking for promos and changes in pricing. If they offer a price/promo I like, I call Holland and re-fare. If the price doesn't come into an acceptable range, then I can cancel.