Help!!! Have I made a huge mistake?

Scotland01

A few weeks ago booked a heavily advertised cruise on Vision from Dubai. Would be 4 weeks back from a P & O Caribbean cruise but as the date was over our 50th wedding anniversary and package price was good decided to book along with our cruising friends. Only guarantee outside cabins bookable on TA offer. Am d+ and joked that we would probably get worst ever cabin! A week later were assigned 2518! Deck 2 at front with intercomunicating door!!Shock horror realised that is what guarantee is all about! 346 points and never done this before. UK RCI would not allow us to change only option was to loose our £300 deposit. so now trying to look on bright side as only a 7 day cruise and maybe soundproofing would have improved since bad experience on Grandeur many years ago! Noticed on deck plan that cabin has 2 sets of linked doors? Maybe somebody can cheer me up!!!!

Happy New Year when it comes.

Margaret

On the bright side:

1. maybe the folks on the other side of the door have the same fears you do, and plan on being extra quiet

2. maybe you'll be able to meet them on the first day and get to say that you guys plan on being extra quiet due to the doors

3. maybe having 2 doors will ensure more privacy

4. maybe you'll meet the neighbors and have new friends

5. any time on a cruise is a good time, regardless of the conditions, as long as that's the attitude brought on board...so enjoy your time together and consider this a great story to tell!

And the upsell or upgrade fairy may visit you. Hope you enjoy the cruise and your anniversary.

You could call TA and ask for a pay upgrade. I've done that before [emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under RCCL rules, once assigned a cabin, you can contact RCCL (or travel agent if you have one) and move to any other cabin available in the same catagory. In addition and as others have mentioned, if you are truly unhappy, contact that same source and pay for an upgrade to a better category. To assist you, I would suggest if it is RCCL, demand to speak with "RESOLUTIONS."

Under RCCL rules, once assigned a cabin, you can contact RCCL (or travel agent if you have one) and move to any other cabin available in the same catagory. In addition and as others have mentioned, if you are truly unhappy, contact that same source and pay for an upgrade to a better category. To assist you, I would suggest if it is RCCL, demand to speak with "RESOLUTIONS."

The policy you mention is only for US/Canadian bookings, and the OP is in Scotland where they don't have the ability to change assigned guarantee staterooms.

Edited by clarea

OP, Good luck and I hope it turns out to be an enjoyable experience. You learned two lessons for the price of one. Guarantee cabins are a crap shoot, you have no idea where you will end up. Crown & Anchor status is meaningless and outside North America you have no recourse or opportunity to change to another cabin of the same category. Secondly, you learned you are more likely to get flamed here instead of receiving empathy and understanding.

Edited by Royal2464

I am sorry that you did not understand what "guarantee" category means.

You have learned a hard lesson.

And C&A status does NOT figure into that cabin assignment.

Enjoy your wonderful anniversary cruise!

Thank you for your good wishes. The cruise is not selling so only guarantee outsides offered. This was the first time I have booked a guarantee after many cruises. I did realise the implication of this.No worries we will enjoy ourselves.

OP, Good luck and I hope it turns out to be an enjoyable experience. You learned two lessons for the price of one. Guarantee cabins are a crap shoot, you have no idea where you will end up. Crown & Anchor status is meaningless and outside North America you have no recourse or opportunity to change to another cabin of the same category. Secondly, you learned you are more likely to get flamed here instead of receiving empathy and understanding.

Bob

Thank you. Have read many other negative things on this site just have not been on receiving end!!! I have a sense of humour and am not that upset!!!!

Margaret

We had a guarentee a few years ago and ended up with a interconnect cabin,

The lady next door was up at 6am, hair dryer going and tv full blast, each day, she did not take kindly to me banging on the door, :confused:

Got maintenance to seal up tge door, they put foam in the cracking between the door and frame and then gaffer taped over it.

Thus did the trick.

The door already had the remains of tape when we arrived, hence this must be a common quick fix

We gambled again on our next cruise, as tge saving was too good to pass,

We ended up with a good balcony in a great location. No connection:)

The cruise is not selling so only guarantee outsides offered.

Go to the RCI site and look at the inventory for your sailing - don't rely on your TA for this. If there are many cabins left in other categories, you may have a chance at a paid upgrade.

I've had 5 connecting rooms over my cruising experience and not once did I hear the people on the other side of the door. On one cruise there was duct tape over the cracks in the door (where it seals) but not on any of the others. I've had more issues with people on the balcony beside us (smoking, swearing, fighting, etc) but so far the connecting room sounds have not happened. I think that you have a 90% chance that it will be OK. So far I'm batting 100%.

We had a guarentee a few years ago and ended up with a interconnect cabin,

The lady next door was up at 6am, hair dryer going and tv full blast, each day, she did not take kindly to me banging on the door, :confused:

Got maintenance to seal up tge door, they put foam in the cracking between the door and frame and then gaffer taped over it.

This did the trick.

The door already had the remains of tape when we arrived, hence this must be a common quick fix

We gambled again on our next cruise, as tge saving was too good to pass,

We ended up with a good balcony in a great location. No connection:)

So does a towel. :)

Thank you for your good wishes. The cruise is not selling so only guarantee outsides offered. This was the first time I have booked a guarantee after many cruises. I did realise the implication of this.No worries we will enjoy ourselves.

You will enjoy yourselves, guaranteed!

Our Dubai cruise in March this year with Royal was the best we have ever done.

You are going to be visiting some AMAZING places.

Have a great time [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi

We did this cruise in February on Splendour, I take it this cruise is on Vision, we booked the same type of deal for a quick last minute week away, had a great time, we were not in the cabin that much as it was a full week, we have had several connecting cabins and have been lucky so far in that we've had quiet neighbours - and are quiet ourselves.

Happy cruising, I would much prefer to be on a ship, in the warmth, not having to cook or clean than be home in the winter. :)