Service charge modification allowed on ship again

LMaxwell

The new forms allow you to modify service charges up or down now; you can even specify a worker by name who you want to give more to if you don't want it to go to the general pool. If there is an issue there is space provided to explain. They no longer have you email or fax the form in; turn back into GS and modification handled within 24 hours.

I don't know what the process is if you want it removed completely; only experienced was with up and down.

I wonder how targeting a specific crew member gets handled - if he/she sees the full amount. Does the wording on the form offer any clue? Although I can't think of a reason to do this (vs cash directly), other than being unable to locate a crew member you're trying to tip.

I wonder how targeting a specific crew member gets handled - if he/she sees the full amount. Does the wording on the form offer any clue? Although I can't think of a reason to do this (vs cash directly), other than being unable to locate a crew member you're trying to tip.

Depends what sort of OBC you have, refundable or non-refundable. If you'd prefer to name a staffer it can be drawn from OBC you'd otherwise lose. I would hope if they are soliciting you to call our a staffer by name that all additional amount allotted goes to them.

I don't have a copy of the form since it was only provided to me at the desk to fill out and turned back to GS. Modifications posted same day.

Edited by LMaxwell

Being able to add a gratuity for a specific crew member is nothing new. I've done this for years for concierges, butlers and cabin stewards. You just have to provide the name of the crew member who will be receiving the gratuity. Guest Services completes a form and gives you a copy. I generally put that copy in an envelope and give it to the crew member, so they know they will be receiving the gratuity. The charge will appear on your on board account statement as a "gratuity voucher".

Being able to add a gratuity for a specific crew member is nothing new. I've done this for years for concierges, butlers and cabin stewards. You just have to provide the name of the crew member who will be receiving the gratuity. Guest Services completes a form and gives you a copy. I generally put that copy in an envelope and give it to the crew member, so they know they will be receiving the gratuity. The charge will appear on your on board account statement as a "gratuity voucher".

Last year on the Sky they could not take additional and process onboard; told me all modifications had to be emailed in. This year on Escape they allowed modifications, both up and down, and GS handled it same day. No vouchers provided.

If you can authorize a payment to a specific member of staff can you also authorize a NON-payment to a specific member of staff?

I certainly named a staffer who provided poor service after management could not fix the problem. Don't know if a reduction comes from the named person, or from the pool that person is in. But they do want to know about issues.

I agree. I take a stack of ones and fives and a couple of 20 dollar bills for this purpose.

Can we remove the gratuity/service fee imposed on UDP? I think I'd giving the bartender cash would result in better service. I'd probably wind up spending more money but the allocation would be different.

The short answer is no.

Can we remove the gratuity/service fee imposed on UDP? I think I'd giving the bartender cash would result in better service. I'd probably wind up spending more money but the allocation would be different.

UDP is the old dining plan. UBP is the beverage plan.

In August we tried to tip the butler and room steward through our on board

account (not OBC we had already spent that) but were told that this could not

be done according to guest services. We ended up taking cash out of an ATM

at a silly rate to give them there tip.

Good to see things have changed.

Although I can't think of a reason to do this (vs cash directly), other than being unable to locate a crew member you're trying to tip.

Perhaps saving 3% by using the NCL MasterCard instead of cash?

Hopefully someday one will be able to use the misc. gratuity form for the Splash Academy team... currently can only tip individuals...

In August we tried to tip the butler and room steward through our on board

account (not OBC we had already spent that) but were told that this could not

be done according to guest services. We ended up taking cash out of an ATM

at a silly rate to give them there tip.

Good to see things have changed.

Wow, we have often given an extra tip through our on board account at the services desk. They even had a form for it there. I'm surprised they have taken this away, even if they have recently reinstated it.

I have a question, hoping I don't get attacked for it as I am a person who tips minimum 20% everywhere.

How much are we going to get charged for service charges per person? Who is included with those charges?

Since we already paid $99 a person for the UBP (where normally my tip from what I drink would be more than half of that based on how much I drink) and whatever it was for the UDP. So if the service charges we get charged are doubling up on the 3 nights dining and the bartenders, can that amount be adjusted?

I have a question, hoping I don't get attacked for it as I am a person who tips minimum 20% everywhere.

How much are we going to get charged for service charges per person? Who is included with those charges?

Since we already paid $99 a person for the UBP (where normally my tip from what I drink would be more than half of that based on how much I drink) and whatever it was for the UDP. So if the service charges we get charged are doubling up on the 3 nights dining and the bartenders, can that amount be adjusted?

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Edited by triptolemus

The new forms allow you to modify service charges up or down now; you can even specify a worker by name who you want to give more to if you don't want it to go to the general pool. If there is an issue there is space provided to explain. They no longer have you email or fax the form in; turn back into GS and modification handled within 24 hours.

I don't know what the process is if you want it removed completely; only experienced was with up and down.

Thank you for posting this info, good to know.