Seward Tour: Major Marine or Kenai Fjords?

QShip

Hard to believe this has not come up before, but search returns zip.

Late August cruise, with turn around in Seward. Want to take a 6 hour tour to Kenai Fjords NP. Like the fact that Major Marine has a NP naturalist on board, but other than that they seem basically the same.

Which would you recommend, Major Marine or Kenai Fjords, and why?

Have read most of the posts on the tours individually, but was hoping for more of a comparison. Generally it sounds like they both do a good job, but Major Marine is the only one that has a naturalist onboard.

Do not care much about reserved seating, since I will be up and outside, probably regardless of the weather.

Don't plan on eating on the boat, since we want to go into Seward after the tour and eat at the Cookery, which is very highly rated.

I have been with both vendors- each numerous trips. They certainly both do great jobs. The Park Service naturalist is indeed a highlight and I've been rewarded with sailing with several excellent ones. The Kenai Fjords caps- too- are very well informed and knowledgeable. I do find a benefit with the assigned seats. It is common in the summer to have full boats. It never fails- on Kenai Fjords tours- people who spread out taking up a couple seats each. I usually out run them to my preferred seating and don't take any time, grabbing seats. But- I always see- a whole load of single seats and later people scratching their heads reluctant to have people move to free up seats. I find the included food with Kenai Fjords pretty crappy as well. My nephews who have gone with me several times- always enjoy Major Marines salmon. :)

my priority booking is MM's Holgate/Aielik combo or Northwestern fjords. But it also depends on discounts. When I am there, staying in Seward- I also go out every day, so in my case- I certainly do enjoy both companies.

BQ, is there a particular hotel in Seward that you prefer?

Last few trips, I've stayed at the Marina. Nothing special, but good location for the Kenai Fjords tours, train, Exit Glacier shuttle, Safeway. I walk between all of them.

If the meal isn't important to you, you have at least one more option.

I can't "recommend" because I haven't taken this tour yet, but I signed up for my Kenai Fjords tour for next June with Alaska Saltwater Lodge, which offers small boat tours of 15 or fewer people. I felt like I could get a lot closer to the wonderful sights, wildlife, and opportunities for photos. Lunch is included, but it looks like it's just wraps and cans of soda -- and that's fine with me, I'm not doing this cruise for the meal.

I remember a small boat day trip out of Seward a number of years ago and my husband and I have debated the name of that vendor.

But the past few years we have used Major Marine, and have been extremely happy. We spend most of our time outside and have found the Major Marine audio on the outside deck to be excellent. We like having "our" designated spot for the day to leave a daypack, and only use the seating when having the meal (which we find worthwhile to purchase). We also have found the National Park Service naturalists to be excellent, and for those traveling with small children the NPS rangers do a great program for kids. While we didn't make it down to Seward last summer we have already booked a Major Marine trip for the upcoming summer.

BQ, is there a particular hotel in Seward that you prefer?

I am not Budget Queen but generally every summer we do drive down to Seward. Our current favorite Seward hotel is the Harbor 360. We like the location on the small boat harbor. Just a few minutes walk to our two favorite Seward restaurants (Chinooks and Ray's Waterfront). Also just a few minutes walk to the check in locations for both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords cruises. Since we have a vehicle we also appreciate the large parking lot. We will be in Seward for a few days this upcoming summer, and again booked at the Harbor 360.

Within the last five years we have also stayed at the Edgewater. While the rooms in both hotels are fairly comparable, as are the included breakfasts, the Edgewater parking isn't as convenient if you have a vehicle. The Edgewater is farther from the small boat harbor, but is closer to the SeaLife Center.

I am not Budget Queen but generally every summer we do drive down to Seward. Our current favorite Seward hotel is the Harbor 360. We like the location on the small boat harbor. Just a few minutes walk to our two favorite Seward restaurants (Chinooks and Ray's Waterfront). Also just a few minutes walk to the check in locations for both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords cruises. Since we have a vehicle we also appreciate the large parking lot. We will be in Seward for a few days this upcoming summer, and again booked at the Harbor 360.

Within the last five years we have also stayed at the Edgewater. While the rooms in both hotels are fairly comparable, as are the included breakfasts, the Edgewater parking isn't as convenient if you have a vehicle. The Edgewater is farther from the small boat harbor, but is closer to the SeaLife Center.

Thanks so much. We have stayed at the Edgewater and were very happy with it. It was very convenient to the Sea Life Center and downtown Seward. Next year we are planning on another Major Marine excursion as well as going to the Exit Glacier, so the Harbor 360 would be a more convenient location to those providers. I should add that the Edgewater did provide great transportation to the excursion and to the ship. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I have been with both vendors- each numerous trips. They certainly both do great jobs. The Park Service naturalist is indeed a highlight and I've been rewarded with sailing with several excellent ones. The Kenai Fjords caps- too- are very well informed and knowledgeable. I do find a benefit with the assigned seats. It is common in the summer to have full boats. It never fails- on Kenai Fjords tours- people who spread out taking up a couple seats each. I usually out run them to my preferred seating and don't take any time, grabbing seats. But- I always see- a whole load of single seats and later people scratching their heads reluctant to have people move to free up seats. I find the included food with Kenai Fjords pretty crappy as well. My nephews who have gone with me several times- always enjoy Major Marines salmon. :)

my priority booking is MM's Holgate/Aielik combo or Northwestern fjords. But it also depends on discounts. When I am there, staying in Seward- I also go out every day, so in my case- I certainly do enjoy both companies.

How do we find out about discounts?? Thanks ...

Based upon the information from everyone here, and some research on my own, we have decided to go with Kenai Fjords for the following reasons:

1. We are on a B2B arriving at 7:00 AM and departing at 8:00 PM. Kenai Fjords has a 6 hour tour leaving at 8:00 which will get us back at 2:00 PM.

2. We want to be able to explore Seward after the tour, and Major Marine does not leave until 11:30, returning at 5:30, giving us less time to look around and pretty well requiring eating lunch onboard.

3. Prices are about the same since we are not really interested on a meal on the tour. Returning at 2:00 gets us back in time for lunch in town at the Cookery. (It is highly rated, but we would appreciate any comments about it from those who have tried it, as well as any other suggestions for lunch.)

4. Their website now indicates they have a naturalist onboard.

Thanks for all the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Based upon the information from everyone here, and some research on my own, we have decided to go with Kenai Fjords for the following reasons:

1. We are on a B2B arriving at 7:00 AM and departing at 8:00 PM. Kenai Fjords has a 6 hour tour leaving at 8:00 which will get us back at 2:00 PM.

2. We want to be able to explore Seward after the tour, and Major Marine does not leave until 11:30, returning at 5:30, giving us less time to look around and pretty well requiring eating lunch onboard.

3. Prices are about the same since we are not really interested on a meal on the tour. Returning at 2:00 gets us back in time for lunch in town at the Cookery. (It is highly rated, but we would appreciate any comments about it from those who have tried it, as well as any other suggestions for lunch.)

4. Their website now indicates they have a naturalist onboard.

Thanks for all the help.

I have used both MM and Kenai Fjords. Personally I like Kenai Fjords slightly better since I don't like the reserved seating. I prefer to find my own preferred seat. I also place a low priority on the food service. I am outside most of the time and also want to be in an "aisle" seat so I can bolt outside in case wildlife is spotted when I am inside.

I have had a naturalist on board my last Kenai Fjords tour.

I like your idea of the 8am departure so you have several hours to explore Seward.

I have used both MM and Kenai Fjords. Personally I like Kenai Fjords slightly better since I don't like the reserved seating. I prefer to find my own preferred seat. I also place a low priority on the food service. I am outside most of the time and also want to be in an "aisle" seat so I can bolt outside in case wildlife is spotted when I am inside.

We like to find our own seats too. Major Marine has a new Orca trip that will operate for 1 month, mid May to mid June. No specific route. Just looking for Orcas. We saw quite a few last May.

Edited by Glaciers

• 3 months later...

I have had a naturalist on board my last Kenai Fjords tour.

I like your idea of the 8am departure so you have several hours to explore Seward.

You have reminded me about my one negative of the 26 Glacier Cruise that I took of Prince William Sound. I would have liked the assigned seating - if we hadn't been assigned the window and middle seat. I definitely want to be able to get up freely and get outside. We were lucky that there was an open table for 2 that we moved to once we left the dock and it worked out great. I only sat down to eat so and outside seat is best for me too.

It would be nice to have a naturalist on board with a nice sound system to be able to hear when outside....so I will have to weigh my options.

We like the open seating policy on board the Kenai Fjords' boats. Just be aware, if you pick the back rows near the doors and the snack bar area you might just find your seats taken when you come back in from the outside. I can recall, on three trips, when we returned to our table and found sick people sleeping in our seats or strangers moving our backpacks so they could sit down. We chose the back rows so we could make quick exits out the door when we felt the need to take pictures. We still love Kenai Fjords but are now a little more selective about picking the location of our seats.

• 1 month later...

We arrive by the train on Thursday and set sail on Friday at 8p. I was just looking at the 3hr dinner cruise leaving around 5p on Thursday but wonder whether there will be more chances of whale activity if we did the 12noon one on the Friday, which still leaves us with lots of time to make the ship.

What would you recommend? Are whales more active at any time? Do they go to bed early LOL!

I'm now thinking as it is such an early start from ANC to take it easy in the afternoon, do laundry and have dinner at Rays or Chinooks and an early night and do the lunchtime trip.....?

TIA.

We just did the 8am tour on Thursday and saw orcas and humpbacks as well as sea lions, otters, puffins and other wildlife. There were only 45 on this tour on a vessel that fits 150, so seating was not an issue.

We stayed at the driftwood apartments (VRBO) and the location was midway between the marina and sea life center. Brand new 2 bedroom apartment that allowed our family of 4 to spread out a little!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
We just did the 8am tour on Thursday and saw orcas and humpbacks as well as sea lions, otters, puffins and other wildlife. There were only 45 on this tour on a vessel that fits 150, so seating was not an issue.

We stayed at the driftwood apartments (VRBO) and the location was midway between the marina and sea life center. Brand new 2 bedroom apartment that allowed our family of 4 to spread out a little!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Who did you do the 8am tour with please? I'm now thinking that a morning tour on the Friday, rather than the lunchtime one would fit in better with our plans. Thanks