Anyone recently cruise out of NOLA with birth certificate?

badpoolgirl

When cruising with no passport, how does the Port verify state ID/drivers license? One of our group has a possibly suspended (NOT expired) drivers license. We are leaving on the holiday so we can't verify before we leave. Does anyone know if they swipe the ID, or just visually check it?

We don't want to get to the port and be turned away!

I have never seen anyone at a port "swipe" ID.(passports, driver's licenses etc.)

They just look at it to see that it matches your boarding pass. They swipe your sign n sail card when you board or leave the ship but not your USA ID.

I do not see any info on the Louisiana DMV site about valid or expired licenses.

You can get a state ID card to use if you are worried about the license.

Edited by riffatsea

Sorry I just reread and saw that the license was "suspended" and not expired.

It is NOT valid and IF there is an outstanding warrant for this person I'd not board the ship because the police will be waiting for him/her and take him to jail.

When cruising with no passport, how does the Port verify state ID/drivers license? One of our group has a possibly suspended (NOT expired) drivers license. We are leaving on the holiday so we can't verify before we leave. Does anyone know if they swipe the ID, or just visually check it?

Why not have them get a state ID?

If the license is suspended (as in cannot drive) it's still a valid ID... so even if they swipe it, it's not like that means they aren't allowed to go on vacation.

I only cruised once on a birth certificate, and I don't remember if they swiped it or not, but it's just to verify identity when checking in.

I guess the driver's license is only for photo verification of booked passengers when checking in. If the suspension of the DL is a cause or result of warrant of arrest, then not presenting the DL does not mean he will not be arrested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you know that possession of a suspended license is itself a crime? Louisiana requires that the suspended license be surrendered to the court or to the Louisiana Department of Motor vehicles. And, you will certainly know if your license has been suspended.

So, this person shouldn't even have their suspended license; they should have surrendered it, as required by law. With the paucity of information provided, impossible to say if the reason the license was suspended will cause a problem with boarding. In any case, only the person with the suspended license would be denied boarding, not everyone in the group.

Edited by 6rugrats

Have the person call cruise line, ask for supervisor. Guesses do not count.

Id recommend calling the port authorities - cruise line doesnt have access to the sensitive information, but it all depends on the embark/disembarktation port authorities / customs authority jurisdiction.

As most states have a rule about not having a driver license and a state id at the same time... Id also reccomend that whomever this person is either dont go or take care of the situation with the suspension first

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

A suspended driver license simply refers to their ability to drive. It is still valid ID if it's not expired. I'm not sure where 6rugrats got their information. I can't speak about Louisiana, I suppose that could be true. But I'm well versed in ohio law and its is 100% not illegal in be in possession of a suspended license. And yes, in fact, licenses get suspended all the time without the owner knowing. Our BMV has a system where they do random insurance checks. They send a letter to your registered address requesting proof of insurance. If you don't provide it, you are suspended. Many people don't update their address and never get the letter and have their license suspended over this.

That being said, your friend who may be suspended should not be driving. They can get a ride to any local police station and can have the desk officer run their license to see if it's suspended.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

A suspended driver license simply refers to their ability to drive. It is still valid ID if it's not expired. I'm not sure where 6rugrats got their information. I can't speak about Louisiana, I suppose that could be true.

OP is in Louisiana, so Ohio law is not relevant. In Louisiana, the law requires that you return your suspended license to the court or to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If her friend still is in possession of his license, he is breaking the law in his state.

Typically at boarding, the cruise line only enters the ID information onto the manifest, they don't confirm anything, unless the ID documentation itself shows a discrepancy. However, upon disembarkation, the suspended license may cause problems at the CBP interview, as questions and perhaps more forms of ID may be required. CBP may also report to LEO if any outstanding warrants, etc, are there for the individual, so he may be detained at disembarkation if this is so.

OP is in Louisiana, so Ohio law is not relevant. In Louisiana, the law requires that you return your suspended license to the court or to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If her friend still is in possession of his license, he is breaking the law in his state.

I'm not disagreeing with you that Ohio law is not relevant. Simply expressing that oddness of that being a law in Louisiana considering how often people with suspended licenses get driving privileges. You may have to hand it over at the initial court date, but you would need the physical license if you are driving with privileges so it being "illegal" to possess a license with a suspension on it would not make sense.

I have never seen anyone at a port "swipe" ID.(passports, driver's licenses etc.)

They just look at it to see that it matches your boarding pass. They swipe your sign n sail card when you board or leave the ship but not your USA ID.

I do not see any info on the Louisiana DMV site about valid or expired licenses.

You can get a state ID card to use if you are worried about the license.

My passport has gotten swiped every time.

If the 'suspended ' license is classified as not valid, then they will be denied boarding.

My passport has gotten swiped every time.

If the 'suspended ' license is classified as not valid, then they will be denied boarding.

Scanning your passport allows them to quickly verify the information on the passport with what is in the system, it does not verify the passport itself. As Cheng points out that verification takes place during the cruise. Since the question of whether a suspended license is valid for ID purposes is a question of state law more than anything else I am not sure the cruise lines are equipped to answer the question at embarkation.

Best bet is to contact state/port/cruise line and NOT rely on the internet message board experts. This is not like asking for a good hotel or cabin recommendation ;)

I don't know, if I had an unusual travel situation I think I would at least like to hear what those with experience have to say about it. I think the odds of the collective knowledge of a group like CC having the answer would be better then a call center employee that probably doesn't even know what a cruise ship looks like (other than pictures).